What's new

Scientology Reformation Manifesto

G

Gottabrain

Give it up, Terril. Scientology doesn't work, never did and never will.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
From my mailbox.
bb

--------------------------

Scientology Reformation Manifesto June 19, 2011 version

Distribution

To anyone. This Manifesto is a guide for those who wish to help accomplish the goal, notification to those who wish to prevent that goal and hope to those who are indecisive.

Objective / Goal Reformation of Scientology.

Definition

reformation: An improvement in the existing form or condition of institutions or practices, intended to make a striking change for the better in social or political or religious affairs.

Purpose

Anyone, whether Scientologists or non-Scientologists, free to use those aspects or portions of Scientology they wish to use to improve their lives, without hinderance.

Assertions

It is not asserted that L. Ron Hubbard was perfect.
It is not asserted that the technologies of Scientology are all perfect.
It is asserted that there are positive aspects of Dianetics and Scientology which people can use to improve their lives and the lives of others if they choose to do so.
It is asserted that the Church of Scientology no longer practices Scientology as written by L. Ron Hubbard. The Church no longer attempts to fulfil Scientology's benevolent and beneficial intent, nor does the Church attempt to follow the teachings in Scientology texts and lectures written and spoken by LRH. The Church has repeatedly, intentionally altered original Scientology texts to pervert and undermine their intent and effectiveness.

Explanation

This Manifesto addresses reformation of Scientology, not reformation of the Church of Scientology.

The knowledge and potential benefits which can be derived from Scientology are much more important than any organization or personality. While the Church might be reformed as a result of this Manifesto, it is not intended to do so.

Critical to the success of this Manifesto is restoration of self-determination and cause to the Scientology community, both inside the Church and outside it. This will be accomplished by gradiently restoring self-determinism and cause to individuals, whether they are active in the Church of Scientology or have ceased to be active.

Debate whether LRH was a good man or a bad man, and how much of either, are not relevant.

Debating what aspects of Scientology are good and what aspects are bad are not relevant.

Each individual is free to decide upon these matters themselves.

Initiatives

Suggestions adding to or amending these initiatives are welcomed.
Your personal effort to accomplish these initiatives is welcomed.
Some initiatives are already being implemented.

A. Files
The ability of any present or former Church of Scientology member to obtain
- possession of the original of their counselling (auditing) folders and their ethics folders, and
- copies of Scientology "justice" actions folders on them, their personnel folders, intelligence files/entries on them kept by the Church's intelligence arm (GO/OSA) and any other data held on them by any arm of Scientology associated with the Church or RTC.

B. Writings and lectures

Original L. Ron Hubbard Scientology material freely available, and the differences between LRH Scientology and material distributed by the Church of Scientology clearly identified.

C. Freedom of religion

Scientologists and non-Scientologists free to practice or use any or all aspects of the Scientology religion without hinderance by the Church of Scientology or governments.

References:

Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights

C.1 Nullify copyright and trademark laws in respect to original religious works of any religion

C.2 Form groups of people who work together to teach Scientology principles and use Scientology to help others by using counseling (auditing) and other methods.

D. Public perception

Improve public perception of Scientology-related issues through increased, unbiased media articles and editorials.

D.1 Publics and governments understanding that "Scientology" and "Church of Scientology" are not one-in-the-same, that is, they should not be considered identical.

E. Restore self-determinism

Assist anyone at Int Base, in RPFs or otherwise active in the Church not of their own volition.

E.1 Utilize habeas corpus when appropriate.

References

The Aims of Scientology
From Dictatorship to Democracy, by Gene Sharp
http://www.aeinstein.org/organizations/org/FDTD.pdf

Self-Liberation: A Guide to Strategic Planning for Action to End a Dictatorship or Other Oppression,
by Gene Sharp with the assistance of Jamila Raqib
http://www.aeinstein.org/selflib/SelfLiberation.pdf

Scientologese Note

In this endeavor, we are auditing the third dynamic Scientology. (YOU are included as part of the
"we".) The Scientology third dynamic "case" has been going downhill for at least thirty years. Do not expect this Manifesto to be accomplished easily or swiftly, just as one does not expect a one-shot Clear. Do not be disheartened. Those in the Church who are destroying Scientology and its organizations want you to tire, become apathetic and give up. That is part of their strategy.

What you can do

1. Decide which initiative or initiatives you most wish fulfilled.

2. Create your own cell of individuals who wish to accomplish the initiative(s) you have
chosen, or join a cell already pursuing those initiatives.

3. If you created a cell, communicate with and work with other cells pursuing the same initiative(s).
We do not have the resources to investigate who might be pretending to reform Scientology but are actually working against reformation. Therefore, we will not give you names of people to contact. You have to judge others by their actions. We suggest you remain anonymous when you first contact such persons or groups, until you are convinced of their sincerity.

Authorship

This Manifesto is a collaborative effort. In order to reduce the likelihood of real or created accusations by the Church of Scientology and its agents, the collaborators of this Manifesto are not revealing their identities.

Copyright

This document is copyright. It may be reproduced and distributed providing it is copied in full, unaltered, and the person or organization reproducing or distributing it does not assert or imply they are its source.

Feedback

Suggestions to improve this document can be emailed to srm at hush . com

Only emails which help pursue the objective or purpose of this Manifesto will be answered.

I salute the idea, and the goal, but I think it's naive, due to the need to reform so much: who will decide what to keep, what to discard, what new authors are acceptable or an improvement, what experiments to proceed with, etc.?

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
A. Files
The ability of any present or former Church of Scientology member to obtain
- possession of the original of their counselling (auditing) folders and their ethics folders, and
- copies of Scientology "justice" actions folders on them, their personnel folders, intelligence files/entries on them kept by the Church's intelligence arm (GO/OSA) and any other data held on them by any arm of Scientology associated with the Church or RTC.

Hey Terril,

I've never been sympathetic towards your view from the Freezone, but now I think you're bringing up a good point which I've snipped from your OP.

I'd like to "contribute the motion" of your manifesto and suggest you change the word "copy" above to "all copies".

Anything you do to assist the victims of this mind-control cult to recover their personal posessions (innermost thoughts). is admirable.

:carryon:

Last edited:
I salute the idea, and the goal, but I think it's naive, due to the need to reform so much: who will decide what to keep, what to discard, what new authors are acceptable or an improvement, what experiments to proceed with, etc.?

look, i'm a druggie but i have never been so intoxicated i lurched around so sloppily as this manifesto.

what to keep?

you keep everything

The First Law of Tinkering: KEEP ALL THE PIECES

then you start decommissioning certain HCO/PL's

put 'em in front of me and i'll point out the primary one's on which a solid cadre of intelligent men and women of good will could probably come to consensus upon

then you start pointing at the major discrepancies between policy and practice beginning at the inversion of the admin scale and tell people to work on or in relation to training and auditing and reporting numerical results with no particular number pressure per se...

one is basically very conservative in reform. the org board is really quite bright. so to were both hgc and academy when i was at fcdc

the brightest possible thing CoS could do is pay auditors. people who could pull $45 hr in the mundane world could have a richer existence doing 50-60 hrs in an org per week and making $25 hr for their time 25-30 hrs in the chair and let the has establish, the oes organize and the ed conduct a symphony and a ballet around them. let everyone have left over from work time to eat time to sleep and time to live

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Give it up, Terril. Scientology doesn't work, never did and never will.

When we were in CofS, we were constantly told what not to think. I know that when that happened to me, I didn't always say anything, but it did often register and it did not feel right.

We have a mix of people and views here. There is not just one way to believe or live.

There are atheists, Christians and other sorts here. Obviously, they don't all have the answers. But they each have chosen their paths and are free to express that.

My husband, for example, still is an Indie Scn'ist and his politics are fairly far off from mine. We live as close as anyone does. And we are cool with these great differences.

It's a diverse world. Scn didn't want that but we are better than that.

When we were in CofS, we were constantly told what not to think. I know that when that happened to me, I didn't always say anything, but it did often register and it did not feel right.

We have a mix of people and views here. There is not just one way to believe or live.

There are atheists, Christians and other sorts here. Obviously, they don't all have the answers. But they each have chosen their paths and are free to express that.

My husband, for example, still is an Indie Scn'ist and his politics are fairly far off from mine. We live as close as anyone does. And we are cool with these great differences.

i hope i can make it out to seattle soon. i'd like to meet your husband

G

Gottabrain

....and your point is...??? Of course you always say this to anyone who says Scientology doesn't work.

Except Scientology doesn't work. Never did, never will. It has the worst statistics of percentage of harm to its members of any religion that hasn't already killed itself off. In 50 years, it caused the sort of harm that would take most other religions centuries to accomplish.

There are opinions, and then there are the bloody, cold, heartless facts of Scientology's actual damage and destruction and the delusions of its members as they go about this.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
For the record, I do not believe CofS to be reformable. But, as I think my friends here know, I'm supportive of people exploring Scn outside of CofS. I'm also supportive of people being atheists, Christians or Buddhists, etc.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology has changed a lot. It has changed inside the church and outside the church. It changed a lot even under Hubbard. I'm not sure which changes could be called a "reformation" -- maybe all of them.

But, with all these changes and proposed changes, they cannot, ever, fix what's basically wrong with Scientology -- which is, of course, that it does not and cannot produce the results promised.

The most significant Scientology reform would be if they just stopped promising those results. That would, at least, make things more honest.

But then, of course, who would want to practice Scientology?
"Scientology: It might make you feel good temporarily. Come in now for our bogus 'Personality Test'".

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
....and your point is...??? Of course you always say this to anyone who says Scientology doesn't work.

Except Scientology doesn't work. Never did, never will. It has the worst statistics of percentage of harm to its members of any religion that hasn't already killed itself off. In 50 years, it caused the sort of harm that would take most other religions centuries to accomplish.

There are opinions, and then there are the bloody, cold, heartless facts of Scientology's actual damage and destruction and the delusions of its members as they go about this.

I really think I expounded and explained pretty thoroughly. My post wasn't curt or phrased vaguely.

I discussed different ways of believing and living.

I'm sure I don't "always" do anything. (though I bet J would love it if 'twere so.)

G

Gottabrain

For the record, I do not believe CofS to be reformable. But, as I think my friends here know, I'm supportive of people exploring Scn outside of CofS. I'm also supportive of people being atheists, Christians or Buddhists, etc.

Scientology has almost nothing in common with the religions you named, since none of those religions worship a human who wished others to think of him as a God.

I think if you compare it to North Korea's feelings toward Kim Jong, you'll find far more religious parallels.

I wouldn't suggest someone escaping No Korea turn back and live there, but just on the outskirts or an area where Kim Jong was usually less harmful. I'd get that person, their family and anyone they know out of there completely until the government was a different system entirely, one that is humanely based.

A system of PTS/SP beliefs and L Ron Hubbard as Founder with a record like Scientology is best scrapped altogether.

But yeh, they should get their folders back first. I agree with that much. :coolwink:

G

Gottabrain

I wasn't comparing any religion with any other religion.

You have a very short memory, then:

and

Last edited by a moderator:

Veda

Sponsor
I wasn't comparing any religion with any other religion.

Scientology is not a religion. It's a psychological system or, to be more exact, a psychological-political system. Behind the PR, it teaches that religions stem from implants administered ages ago by ancient psychiatrists.

If a person goes into agreement with Hubbard's "angle" that Scientology "is a religion," then the game is over. Scientology has won.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Scientology has changed a lot. It has changed inside the church and outside the church. It changed a lot even under Hubbard. I'm not sure which changes could be called a "reformation" -- maybe all of them.

But, with all these changes and proposed changes, they cannot, ever, fix what's basically wrong with Scientology -- which is, of course, that it does not and cannot produce the results promised.

The most significant Scientology reform would be if they just stopped promising those results. That would, at least, make things more honest.

But then, of course, who would want to practice Scientology?
"Scientology: It might make you feel good temporarily. Come in now for our bogus 'Personality Test'".

Practicing something as an ology is a very different scenario than being in an organized group and pursuing the ology in that milieu.

So then, "reform" would differ greatly in those two milieus.

I mean, I can organize and change my practice of ideology, but reforming a group-any group- would be a tall order. All the tougher with a predatory cult.

G

Gottabrain

Scientology is not a religion. It's a psychological system or, to be more exact, a psychological-political system. Behind the PR, it teaches that religions stem from implants administered ages ago by ancient psychiatrists.

If a person goes into agreement with Hubbard's "angle" that Scientology "is a religion," then the game is over. Scientology has won.

:thumbsup: Beautifully and succinctly stated. :yes:

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
You have a very short memory, then:

and

Yes, I was thinking of that very post when I said I was not comparing religions with religions. That is nowhere in my post.

You do see I included atheism in there, yah?

I was discussing diversity of belief, and the aspect of having a path. Nowhere did I compare belief systems (shakes fluffy head in wonderment at the idea of comparing atheism and Christianity.)

Also, Buddhism does not have any deity worship in it. Yet it's generally included in a lot of lists of religions.

But before anyone starts putting more words in my mouth, I'm not after decreeing anything to be a religion (remember, I did mention atheism) or that something isn't one. I don't care much. That's why i tend to use terms like path or ology in a lot of these discussions.

I don't mind explaining stuff I said if it's it's actually going to accomplish anything. But there are times when, as happened several wks ago and maybe today, I do so again and again, only to have the same supposition alleged as was made prior to explanations #1, 2, and so on.

Then weeks later, a post comes up claiming I was echoing someone else's thoughts in a post I'd written-and repeatedly explained. (someone with whom I'd not, in fact, discussed the subject.)

I mean, by all means, ask me what I was driving at, but please don't misrepresent me.