What's new

Scientology Removing "Going Clear" From Libraries?

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
This just in from a friend in Frederick, Md. vicinity ...

"I just called the library in Frederick county and they said they have a few copies of 'Going Clear,' but they are checked out. When she asked if I wanted to be notified when they are returned, she said something like "if they are returned." When I asked what she meant, she said they have trouble getting people to return it. She said 'It must be awful popular."

OSA up to its not-so-old tricks?

Chip

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

"I just called the library in Frederick county and they said they have a few copies of 'Going Clear,' but they are checked out. When she asked if I wanted to be notified when they are returned, she said something like "if they are returned." When I asked what she meant, she said they have trouble getting people to return it. She said 'It must be awful popular."

Chip

Going Clear is now available at Netflix on DVD.

Good luck wit dat OSA!

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I think one of the lesser known OT abilities gained is:

Ability to steal "entheta" library books without remorse

It's like a reverse book donation program.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think one of the lesser known OT abilities gained is:

Ability to steal "entheta" library books without remorse

It's like a reverse book donation program.

Given the recent Narconon flap in Fredneck, I'm inclined to think shenanigans more than usual.

I'll ask my clan down there if they hear anything.

Anonycat

Crusader

Chip

I first heard of stealing books from libraries, back in the 1970s. A staff person I knew was asked by a senior staff person, to go to the library and steal Paulette Cooper's book. They didn't care much for that request, and asked why they couldn't check it out, rather than steal it. They were told that if they checked it out, that the library would know is was checked-out, and if it was never returned, they'd replace it.

My conclusion has been that these little library Ops are done very much on a local level, and books are stolen, not checked out.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I first heard of stealing books from libraries, back in the 1970s. A staff person I knew was asked by a senior staff person, to go to the library and steal Paulette Cooper's book. They didn't care much for that request, and asked why they couldn't check it out, rather than steal it. They were told that if they checked it out, that the library would know is was checked-out, and if it was never returned, they'd replace it.

My conclusion has been that these little library Ops are done very much on a local level, and books are stolen, not checked out.

A fellow staff member told me that he and another scngst stole Robert Kaufman's "Inside Scientology: How I Joined Scientology and Bacame Superhuman" from the library back in the 70's. This book was considered especially heinous because Kaufman gave details of the confidential levels (though IIRC he garbles them a bit). They left George Malko's "The Now Religion" and Cooper's book on the shelves, though. When I first read Cooper's book (before I did the Comm Course) it seemed soooo out there that I couldn't believe it was true. Little did I know.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
A fellow staff member told me that he and another scngst stole Robert Kaufman's "Inside Scientology: How I Joined Scientology and Bacame Superhuman" from the library back in the 70's. This book was considered especially heinous because Kaufman gave details of the confidential levels (though IIRC he garbles them a bit). <snip>

Yes, but did they resist the temptation to peek inside?

I saw the book in a second-hand bookshop in 1996, which was about 20 years after I'd blown the SO, and I could hardly wait to get home and start reading it, knowing from the cover-blurb that some OT III stuff was revealed inside. The thing is, even at that late stage I believed that it was all true, so I knew I was risking the nightmarish scenario of deadly pneumonia and no sleep etc. It wasn't until a year or so later when I got onto the Internet that I began to discover the horrible truth.

pineapple

I saw the book in a second-hand bookshop in 1996, which was about 20 years after I'd blown the SO, and I could hardly wait to get home and start reading it, knowing from the cover-blurb that some OT III stuff was revealed inside. The thing is, even at that late stage I believed that it was all true, so I knew I was risking the nightmarish scenario of deadly pneumonia and no sleep etc. It wasn't until a year or so later when I got onto the Internet that I began to discover the horrible truth.

According to him they destroyed the book without opening it. I knew, while I was still in, an OT who read the book. Her comment was "That poor guy's grades were so out."

Jump

Operating teatime

Inside Scientology /Dianetics

How I Joined Dianetics/Scientology
and Became Superhuman

by Robert Kaufman
(1995 revision)

here

Free online text. A good read for your morning commute. :)

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
<snip>

Free online text. A good read for your morning commute. :)

Thanks for the link Jump! Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't read it.

'Bare Faced Messiah' is brilliant for it's factual account of Hubbard's lies about his early life, military career and so on, but 'Inside Scientology' is a powerful first-hand description of one man's journey from raw-meat pc to the OT levels and mental breakdown.

pineapple

'Bare Faced Messiah' is brilliant for it's factual account of Hubbard's lies about his early life, military career and so on, but 'Inside Scientology' is a powerful first-hand description of one man's journey from raw-meat pc to the OT levels and mental breakdown.

Still my favorite anti-scn book.

Jump

Operating teatime

Just to clarify, 'Inside Scientology - The story of America's most Secretive Religion' by Janet Reitman is a different book, but also an amazingly good read.

Even though Scientology much better described as a criminal organisation.

Available here

Download now, read later. :)

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
When a book or series of Internet disclosures reveal the dark underbelly of the crime syndicate, OSA INT Public Relations go into overdrive, directing their juniors "DSAs" (Osa reps) in the various Orgs to take care of business.
When Tampa Bay Times first published the TRUTH RUNDOWN, teams of Sea org Members ran around Clearwater removing the newspaper from all Stands, they emptied it out to block Sea Org reading about the beatings at violence at INT base and the various testimonials of atrocities and revelations so carefully covered up.
The Flag Land Base itself went into lockdown. I am told no one could walk on the streets or exit for 3 days. Such was the fear that Public or Staff would read THE TRUTH Rundown.
Hello ?
The Internet is here. Reports were that Tampa Bay Times (at that time known as St. Petersburg Times) had their servers crash with 1/2 million people accessing their site to read on the 1st day of publication.

Stories do not propagate from Libraries or hard cover books alone.
Newspapers.jpg

internet-is-here.jpg

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Newspapers.jpg

$cientology, pick up line 3....... the 21st century is calling.

Attachments

• Newspapers.jpg
    Newspapers.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 6

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

I wouldn't be surprised if it is now on the informal list of things to do to get out of lower conditions - strike a blow at the enemy, blah, blah...