What's new

Scientology Sea Org Members Leaving Cult in Droves. Jillian Schelsinger speaks out!

JustSheila

Crusader
Re: Scientology Sea Org Members Leaving Cult in Droves. Jillian Schelsinger speaks o

Jillian, :congratulations: on achieving your personal freedom from the oppressive cult of Scientology!

:thankyou: for speaking out and for your vids. You are an articulate, courageous, wonderful young lady. Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest!

:grouphug:

failboat

Patron with Honors
Re: Scientology Sea Org Members Leaving Cult in Droves. Jillian Schelsinger speaks o

I have some questions I would love for someone to ask Jillian - or any of these other Sea Org members who've allegedly left in recent weeks. I hope that people who are watching this thread can pass along these queries, as I believe that they are important.

As of March 31st/April 1st, open enrollment on the Health Insurance Exchanges ended. In effect, the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act to obtain health insurance began a few days ago. I would love to know to what extent CoS and CoS employees are in compliance with this new legislation - and recently departed employees would be the people to ask.

• Are Scientology employees encouraged to seek health insurance?
  • In preparation for the individual mandate, have Scientology employees been notified by their employer(s) of the Health Insurance Exchanges, as required by the Affordable Care Act? * (See here, "Regarding October 1 Notifications" - http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...mp-Staff-(USA)&p=851256&viewfull=1#post851256
  • Are Sea Org workers (and Staff) who make less than minimum wage on Medicaid, the free federal & state health insurance system for low-income Americans? (Eligibility is based on income against a certain percent of the poverty line, varying by state.)
  • Are Scientology employees who qualify being encouraged to get on Medicaid, in California? In any other states?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

I have some questions I would love for someone to ask Jillian - or any of these other Sea Org members who've allegedly left in recent weeks. I hope that people who are watching this thread can pass along these queries, as I believe that they are important.

As of March 31st/April 1st, open enrollment on the Health Insurance Exchanges ended. In effect, the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act to obtain health insurance began a few days ago. I would love to know to what extent CoS and CoS employees are in compliance with this new legislation - and recently departed employees would be the people to ask.

• In preparation for the individual mandate, have Scientology employees been notified by their employer(s) of the Health Insurance Exchanges, as required by the Affordable Care Act? * (See here, "Regarding October 1 Notifications" - http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...mp-Staff-(USA)&p=851256&viewfull=1#post851256
  • Are Sea Org workers (and Staff) who make less than minimum wage on Medicaid, the free federal & state health insurance system for low-income Americans? (Eligibility is based on income against a certain percent of the poverty line, varying by state.)
  • Are Scientology employees who qualify being encouraged to get on Medicaid, in California? In any other states?

The answer will be, I fear, that the staff are volunteers not actually staff. Where they can get away with that they will.

failboat

Patron with Honors

The answer will be, I fear, that the staff are volunteers not actually staff. Where they can get away with that they will.

The same link I linked above also discusses "volunteers." I would really appreciate it if you took the time to read it in full, as it is fully referenced.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...mp-Staff-(USA)&p=851256&viewfull=1#post851256

Volunteers can be compensated no more than $500/year - anything of value counts towards this limit, including food & lodging.

failboat

Patron with Honors

I forgot to mention the most important part: volunteers and employees are still subject to the individual mandate, so it doesn't matter even if the church gets away with the fiction that they are volunteers. I hope that the CoS complied with the notification provision and told its employees about the Health Insurance Exchanges (or Medicaid) to encourage them to comply with the individual mandate.

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon

Failboat, I would be very surprised if S.O. members in the US were informed: taking time off post for medical care would cut into stats and production. Besides, with Hubbard's magical technology, S.O. and staff members aren't going to get sick, unless they are reading ESMB posts.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron

I'd like to see the answers, also, but for an SO member first out? Hell, I'm more concerned about how they are doing. Seriously, when I first got out? If I started getting bombarded by questions, it just would have been more freaking overwhelm and trigger of the whole way I was treated in the cult. No offense.

Adam7986

Declared SP

The entire cult of Scientology discourages medical treatment of any kind. I have shared my stories about ill SO members being dumped at hospitals and left for dead, or left for dead in their rooms, or left for dead with their outside the SO family if they are lucky to have any. Shit, go to one of the Indie hangouts on the web and start talking about medical treatment and you can get a feel for how heavy-handed the anti-medicine ideology runs in Scientologists. My father almost died. He barely made it to the hospital, the doctor helped him and diagnosed him with COPD and then my dad refused further treatment. Scientology "religious volunteers" are not considered employees and so you can bet the cult didn't get them health insurance.

Adam7986

Declared SP

I'd like to see the answers, also, but for an SO member first out? Hell, I'm more concerned about how they are doing. Seriously, when I first got out? If I started getting bombarded by questions, it just would have been more freaking overwhelm and trigger of the whole way I was treated in the cult. No offense.

I was about ready to shoot myself about three months after leaving the SO. Fortunately I put the gun down and was able to walk away. Others have not been as lucky. I never sat in an auditing chair and set foot in a Scientology org no more than 5 or 6 times over the next 8 years before I finally was disconnected from my family. It was a long journey out of the cult for me, and I never could have done it on my own. Jillian was fortunate to walk away from it all at the same time, and her family went with her! I am so happy for her! I don't know that the others were so lucky. I hope wherever they are and whatever they are doing, that they have friends and family with them. It was a long time before things were "ok" again for me. I hope that journey is faster for them.

Adam7986

Declared SP

I forgot to mention the most important part: volunteers and employees are still subject to the individual mandate, so it doesn't matter even if the church gets away with the fiction that they are volunteers. I hope that the CoS complied with the notification provision and told its employees about the Health Insurance Exchanges (or Medicaid) to encourage them to comply with the individual mandate.

Interestingly, now that I have been on a hunt. I can't find any exemption for religious organizations regarding the ACA. I found for individuals of low income (like Sea Org). There are some cult churches that have less than 50 employees and so are not responsible for getting them healthcare. But larger organizations like PAC and Flag... I wonder if they did find a way around it? I can't see one, but then I only did a cursory search.

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/

The individual shared responsibility payment

If you can afford health insurance but choose not to buy it, you must pay a fee known as the individual shared responsibility payment.

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it's 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

If you're paying under the $95 per person method, in 2014 the payment for uninsured children is $47.50 per child. The most a family would have to pay under this method in 2014 is $285.

You make the payment when you file your 2014 taxes, which are due in April 2015.

Exemptions from the payment

Under certain circumstances, you won’t have to make the individual responsibility payment. This is called an “exemption.”

You may qualify for an exemption if:

• You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year
  • The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income
  • You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about thefiling limit.)
  • You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
  • You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
  • You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare
  • You’re incarcerated, and not awaiting the disposition of charges against you
  • You’re not lawfully present in the U.S

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Interestingly, now that I have been on a hunt. I can't find any exemption for religious organizations regarding the ACA. I found for individuals of low income (like Sea Org). There are some cult churches that have less than 50 employees and so are not responsible for getting them healthcare. But larger organizations like PAC and Flag... I wonder if they did find a way around it? I can't see one, but then I only did a cursory search.

It's coming..

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/votes/200497-dems-gop-agree-on-religion-tweak-to-obamacare

If you belong to any of the groups listed below you are exempt from ObamaCare's mandate to "obtain minimum essential coverage" (i.e. buy insurance):

* Religious conscience. People who qualify for religious exemptions. The Social Security Administration administers the process for recognizing these sects according to the criteria in the law.

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-mandate-exemption-penalty.php

failboat

Patron with Honors

I wouldn't say it is definitely coming, since it (edit: the bill discussed in your link) hasn't passed the Senate yet, and Obama would still be able to veto it if he wanted. It's also written in such a way that the exemption is supposed to be revoked if the person ever seeks medical treatment. The bill is still in the Senate, waiting to go before Committee.

If you belong to any of the groups listed below you are exempt from ObamaCare's mandate to "obtain minimum essential coverage" (i.e. buy insurance):

* Religious conscience. People who qualify for religious exemptions. The Social Security Administration administers the process for recognizing these sects according to the criteria in the law.

All of the groups are Christian - Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites, and other groups that strictly reject insurance and Social Security. The groups that qualify for the religious exemption to Obamacare are the groups that already qualify for exemption from Social Security under current law. As far as I can tell, no non-Christian group has ever been granted exemption from Social Security.
**EDIT: see this post - http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...mp-Staff-(USA)&p=851704&viewfull=1#post851704

A lot more discussion of this is in my Obamacare thread, for those of you reading this. (I don't mean to highjack this thread about Jillian, is all.)

Last edited:

Adam7986

Declared SP

It's coming..

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/votes/200497-dems-gop-agree-on-religion-tweak-to-obamacare

Is this all because the anti-contraceptive Catholics are afraid that their employees might surreptitiously obtain birth control and through some round about way the church is "technically" paying for it?

Adam7986

Declared SP

It's coming..

Oh boy, I can't wait until some of these get leaked onto Mike Rinder's blog. :biggrin:

People seeking an exemption would have to include sworn statements in their tax returns explaining their objection to health insurance.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

Oh boy, I can't wait until some of these get leaked onto Mike Rinder's blog. :biggrin:

Uh, I am pretty sure to claim tax exemption in Scn you have to be an ordained minister. Not everyone on staff is able to get it. I was ordained minister and I did have it. I still have the form somewhere approved by the IRS. Just because the organization is tax exempt does not mean the individuals are.....

There is still moar caek to be had here... :whistling: