Scientology Settles with Debbie Cook

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Debbie Cook did deliver an EFFECTIVE BLOW to the Cult that is Scientology. Now, she has probably received more GAG MONEY to shut up and not reveal any more truth about Miss Cabbage and his cabbage patch called the HOLE and the fact that there is no one monitoring his EVIL PURPOSE! :angry:

Now, Debbie Cook needs to pay back all the Indies that donated to her attorney fees. Then she needs to MAKE UP THE DAMAGE she did whilst CAPTAIN at FRAUD LAND BASE.:yes:

I, personally, would like for her to meet Maria Pia Gardini and APOLOGIZE to Maria for the extortion and evil behavior Debbie Cook exhibited by forcing her to donate her entire inheritance. That was really, really EVIL!

Then pay her all of the money she extorted from this poor woman, who was so very dedicated to this VICIOUS, EVIL GROUP!

:yes:
COME ON DEBBIE COOK - Pay Maria Pia Gardini back!
MAKE UP THE DAMAGE!!!

freethinker

Sponsor
What if Debbie was a plant in the field and Marty was the target and this was just a big show to get as much on Marty as possible to put an end to him?
Wait, what? If it was all about ideals and taking down DM and not about money then why the hell would she take the settlement and stfu? It's the polar opposite actions of a martyr or true believer. If it was really all about the delusional mission of "saving the tech from DM" then she'd still be fighting, no amount of money would deter her.

Also, she won't be doing anything with Marty. He's already hinting as part of her settlement she will have no contact with the indies and may be turning over info about Marty and others as part of her settlement.

I do wonder if some of the "under the radar" Scientologist who donated directly to Debbie will have their names turned over to the cult - Marty implies it is a likely condition of any settlement. Pretty fucked up if so, but then I don't think any one thought Debbie was a paragon of virtue and integrity.

Debbie basically went against the entire PR image she created to get cash from the indies - as someone who was fighting to save the most valuable technology on the planet from an SP! Maybe she just did what every Scientologist is suppose to do - ask herself "What would Ron do." All of us here know Ron would have fucked over everyone, taken the money and ran like hell - so Debbie was just following Ron.

I do wonder how much her husband may have had to do with this. One thing I can reveal now, that I heard directly from a involved party, was that Wayne had openly expressed a desire to return to the SO - no shit. This was after the court testimony and everything. I guess it makes some sense, where as Debbie had to work her ass off Wayne was probably a bit of a prince in the SO. He had no heavy exec work load, but was married to the queen bee. So he prolly got most of the perks, with none of the bullshit most SO members endure.

I just hope they weren't stupid enough to actually believe they could return to the CoS fold in any capacity if they cooperated and settled. I could see the cult making all kinds of promises but I hope the couple isn't deluded enough to believe they could ever have any type of cordial relationship with the cult or any of it's members. If they are insanely deludedly though I wonder if the cult would trot them out as repentant and make them testify to the evil influence of the indies and their attack on the church. Hoo boy, it's far fetched, but not impossible to think about when you have people as deluded and mixed up as those two. See a whole Freedumb magazine about Debbies trip to the dark side , lol.

Ah, well, it will be interesting to see if we ever hear from Debbie and Wayne again or if they will go off into the sunset like so many other former execs. I hope some insiders keep an eye out for any sightings of her having any type of involvement with the cult over the next few years.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
The cult really knows how to get MAX PR value out of these things. Eastgate charges dropped same day as the Cook case going away. Of course will be spun as massive victories. :melodramatic:

Actually they will be 'sold" as evidence that the IAS is both needed and doing what it is supposed to be doing - funding the defense of Scientology. It will be used both to stroke the believers and to dun them for more.

The believers will be happy that mere money was used to shut Cook up - it will prove to them that a) she was only ever about greed and b) that it was better to end it quickly than fight it out on the enemy's field.

The Eastgate one will be used to show the faithful that they need only stay within the fold and they will be protected.

The message will be very clear - stay faithful and be protected, turn traitor and you will be cast out and shut up.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
L Ron Hubbard being hauled away in handcuffs would have been spun as a massive victory, when reality is not part of the equation everything is a massive victory.

The words Reality Challenged spring to mind. The cult is all PR, all sizzle no beef. Just like their "tech". Delusional.

One thing I see out of all this, is that they're playing defence on these. So the cult managed to knock a couple guys off the castle walls but good luck on stemming the flow that's coming their way.

Bring up the catapults and battering ram!!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Tampa Bay (SP Times) article now up:

Former Clearwater Scientology leader settles lawsuit with church

By Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writers
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 07:13 PM

Cook said her testimony represented only a small part of what she wanted to say, "the tip of the iceberg." But it appeared Tuesday that the settlement will prevent her from ever speaking again about her experience in the church.

Her Texas lawyer, Ray Jeffrey, said the church's case has been dismissed and that neither he nor Cook could say anything about it. Jeffrey declined to answer even the most fundamental questions about the case.

Cook's personal web site, which was operating Monday, was shut down by Tuesday afternoon. Her Facebook page was dark as well.

Pouw declined to comment Tuesday, saying the settlement, called a stipulated injunction, speaks for itself. The Bexar County court system in San Antonio did not immediately make a copy of the document available.

Whole article - http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1226702.ece

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
What if Debbie was a plant in the field and Marty was the target and this was just a big show to get as much on Marty as possible to put an end to him?

You are kidding. The CofS already HAS all the data on Rathbun (and Rinder) from all their willing times of writing OWs and abasing themselves.

But since they have been out what could the cofs nail them for?

They have not done anything!

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Did you ever ask yourself "what would Ron do?"...no just kidding....did you ever ask yourself what you would do if you were in a legal situation with the cult and got offered a sizable settlement? Hard question to answer without a check being put in front of you. When this happens I am always disappointed but glad to see the church's (wait is it really theirs??) money going to people who put up with so much shit. In this case I am aware Debbie was the victim in the end of her career but also victimized others. It's what's done in scientology. It's really a very rough crowd to hang with.

Nonetheless, I'm glad she's got some money. Crap pay for so long finally paid off.
And if she did get a bundle, I do hope she does some soul searching and makes it up to some people. Debbie, ya reading this? Congratulations on the dough! Now, do some good! Fair is fair!

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Did you ever ask yourself "what would Ron do?"...no just kidding....did you ever ask yourself what you would do if you were in a legal situation with the cult and got offered a sizable settlement? Hard question to answer without a check being put in front of you. When this happens I am always disappointed but glad to see the church's (wait is it really theirs??) money going to people who put up with so much shit. In this case I am aware Debbie was the victim in the end of her career but also victimized others. It's what's done in scientology. It's really a very rough crowd to hang with.

Nonetheless, I'm glad she's got some money. Crap pay for so long finally paid off.
And if she did get a bundle, I do hope she does some soul searching and makes it up to some people. Debbie, ya reading this? Congratulations on the dough! Now, do some good! Fair is fair!

Well, it's my fucking money! 57k of it is mine, and I want it. Fucking cult scammers.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Has there been any opinion from a legal who is familiar with the case, the original non-disclosure agreement and Debbie Cooks position, as to what the settlement agreement might be?

There are some legal opinions in the Comments section at Village Voice, look for John P and T1kk
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/04/scientology_settles_debbie_cook.php

Just found John P also commented on Marty's blog:
John P. | April 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Reply

I think an important legacy of this case will be the court transcript, with testimony under oath from Debbie Cook about her treatment, which will be far more readily visible than damning testimony from prior court cases, thanks to the magic of the Internet.

But I think an equally important legacy of the case will be the trail of documents, particularly the correspondence between Mr. Jeffery, Debbie’s attorney, and the Scientology-retained law firm. Those letters, particularly Mr. Jeffery’s requests for production and of topics to be covered in depositions, hinted strongly at a strategy that probably played a significant factor in the Church’s decision to settle — he laid bare the Church’s tactics of intimidation of people involved in the litigation.

To do that, Mr. Jeffery had to have had advance knowledge of what they were likely to do. In other words, when Mr. Jeffery asked the Church to produce all surveillance video of him and his staff, he would have had to have already developed clear evidence that he was under surveillance, enough evidence to find out who was ultimately behind the surveillance. And with that evidence in hand, had the church not admitted to further misbehavior, he could have nailed them for criminal perjury, which would have dug the hole even deeper for Miscavige and Co.

So with the permanent record of your blog and the Village Voice on the case, this settlement will mark a turning point for those who are chafing under the unconscionable non-disclosure agreements, because their counsel, if they’re sued, will have a very effective strategy pre-developed, and they’ll have an even greater chance of winning. From here on out, the more people that break the non-disclosure agreements, the less the Church will be able to do to prevent it. They’ll be overwhelmed.

Last edited:

GreyLensman

Not surprising that Debbie settled just to make it stop.

But, kind of interesting is the covenant of that agreement (per Rathbun's blog of today) that she agreed to not have any part of the Indie Scientology movement.
WHAT COULD THAT MEAN?!

So, (if true) it either means that:

1) She doesn't ever plan to get any auditing/training ever again in Scientology.

Or....​

2) She plans to do her bridge in the Church of Scientology.

If it means she is off the Bridge, permanently, good for her. Good move.

If it means that she will return to the CoS to do her Bridge, OMG.

If this were a normal situation in life (not involving Scientology) #1 would be the only possible explanation.

But this is Scientology, where things do not need to make any sense.

So, it is quite conceivable (although wacky) that she might well be considering going back to the Mecca of Technical Perfection to get her case handled.

Wouldn't that be something?

Hoping she walks away from the Bridge and tries to get some enjoyment from the rest of her life.

I can't imagine her trusting any auditor within the church enough to say, well, anything to him or her of substance. I wouldn't.

I doubt she agreed not to have anything to do with an unofficial sect of the Church that the Church can't admit even really could exist viably. And how do you enforce that? How do you define independent without making it pretty much anything outside of official corporate Scio?

I hope she has a life, sure - but I also hope she finds it in herself to undo some of the damage she was part of. To repair some of the lives she destroyed, to an extent that she can. To expose actual crimes would bring some of that to rest, but that's likely dreaming.

That damage done doesn't go away because her life and condition becomes sympathetic.

freethinker

Sponsor
They spent a lot of time and money on the Squirrel Buster thing, they must want something and what they have on them for what they did in the CO$ involves the CO$. They may want separation to show that it was just him not following orders and to disrupt the Indy field.

They may just be looking for something he is doing now. It's merely a possibilty, not an actuality.
You are kidding. The CofS already HAS all the data on Rathbun (and Rinder) from all their willing times of writing OWs and abasing themselves.

But since they have been out what could the cofs nail them for?

They have not done anything!

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

forgetting something Arthur?

How much money did she make in bonuses? enough to buy, what, a BMW?, one year...

Cook spent more on a car than I made in total in 13 years in the SO.

For 15 years she was ripping cold hard cash from the faithful - and you think she should get MORE money from them for all the suffering she did ripping them off?

Seriously dude you need to take off your rose colored glasses. Whatever money she got came from those same poor saps she exploited for over a decade.

Damn. You expect her to DO GOOD? Puleeeezzze.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
They spent a lot of time and money on the Squirrel Buster thing, they must want something and what they have on them for what they did in the CO$ involves the CO$. They may want separation to show that it was just him not following orders and to disrupt the Indy field.

They may just be looking for something he is doing now. It's merely a possibilty, not an actuality.

Hi free, didn't mean to look like I was jumpin' on ya.

But rathbun is a sideshow, if he was really a threat do you think they would send a clown troupe? They already have people inside and if the evidence they would "need" is small time.

the biggest threat to the CofS is obvious - it's ESMB.

BardoThodol

I don't mind contributing money to good causes.

Glad, glad, glad that I didn't give a dime to this--even though I was sometimes tempted.

Just figured it wouldn't end with anything but the whisper of cockroaches scurrying back where they hide.

Would watch Debbie's interviews and think, "uhn-uhn, something shifty going on with this woman." She just didn't strike me as someone who took care of herself.

Lure Rob & Hyde

Patron with Honors
Well, no surprise there.

One thing that sucks about this is that a lot of people contributed to Debbie Cook's Legal Defense Fund.

If past history is any indication, everyone involved will go on lockdown and the people who helped fund this whole thing won't even get any information about the outcome, no less get any of their money back.

I concur with you on the treachery perpetrated by "Dizzy" Cook on those whom she appealed to for funding then spat in their faces.
Her lust for power, attention and assertion of self importance with no empathy for others has been her digusting life story.
She professed to be a lover of the blubbard and was a former enforcer of his garbage-ology .
All hubbardites are not to be trusted period .
They will lie, cheat, misrepresent ,steal and harm others while emulating the conman hubbard in their hypnotic quest to strive for superiority .
Scientology is really evil barbarism cloaked in a religious costume.
I joyfully did not contribute one penny to the deluded bitch!
Further I will never contribute to any one taking on the cult without them first denouncing hubbard the charlatan publicly along with the mention of his hideous crimes. .

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Before the unfounded speculation gets wilder than in the Zimmerman case, this excerpt from here:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1226702.ece

gives some actual data on the settlement:

"The next hearing in the lawsuit was scheduled for May 7. Now Cook, the church and their respective attorneys have laid down their arms. The agreement dated Monday allows both sides to essentially call it even and go their separate ways. Neither pays the other side money, and Cook and her husband are legally prohibited from ever again speaking ill of the church.

Under a judge's order it requires Cook and her husband, Wayne Baumgarten, to refrain from disclosing anything they know about the church to anyone, be it in conversation, an Internet posting or any other communication. Nor can they have any contact with anyone who has disparaged or intends to disparage the church."

So where is the money some of you are talking about?

freethinker

Sponsor
What you say is true about ESMB. But they did spend time and money on them. It may have been all a waste of time. It may have been just to annoy Marty but the CO$ does all these things that are crazy and bizarre that most sane individuals wouldn't do because they are not protecting deep dark lies and crimes.

I just wouldn't put any crazy scheme beyond them no matter how ludicrous it may seem. The way they tried to frame Paulette Cooper was bizarre. LSD in toothpaste, what sort of mind thinks of that? Marty may very well be insignificant but they do spend money on him.

I just wouldn't put any bizarre quirky idea past them to get a result. The only thing you can predict is that they will do something fucked up, so I put myself in a devious fucked up mind frame when I think of what they might do.:yes:
Hi free, didn't mean to look like I was jumpin' on ya.

But rathbun is a sideshow, if he was really a threat do you think they would send a clown troupe? They already have people inside and if the evidence they would "need" is small time.

the biggest threat to the CofS is obvious - it's ESMB.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Before the unfounded speculation gets wilder than in the Zimmerman case, this excerpt from here:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1226702.ece

gives some actual data on the settlement:

"The next hearing in the lawsuit was scheduled for May 7. Now Cook, the church and their respective attorneys have laid down their arms. The agreement dated Monday allows both sides to essentially call it even and go their separate ways. Neither pays the other side money, and Cook and her husband are legally prohibited from ever again speaking ill of the church.

Under a judge's order it requires Cook and her husband, Wayne Baumgarten, to refrain from disclosing anything they know about the church to anyone, be it in conversation, an Internet posting or any other communication. Nor can they have any contact with anyone who has disparaged or intends to disparage the church."

So where is the money some of you are talking about?

Thanks, I totally missed that! :duh:
Reading too much too fast...