What's new

Scientology Staff and Public Caste Systems

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Great thread.

The below is me answering this question in my voice from 15 years ago.

New public are stupid wogs who hopefully will cognite that their lives are worthless without Scientology.

Public Scientologists are gutless, theety weety, douchebags who don't have have the balls to be on staff. We run around pampering these dilettantes while they do Scientology at their leisure. It makes me sick.

Class V Org staffers are the best & most brave. We work 50 - 60 hours a week in the Org for nothing, then have to go work wog jobs to earn money. Plus we have kids. Sea Orgers are soft compared to Class V staff. Sea Orgers get their food & accommodation paid for. How easy must it be to be in the Sea Org??

Sea Orgers are pumped up brats who don't know how hard we class V staff have it. You come into our orgs with your shiny shoes & your pretty braiding & tell us how to run our Orgs & always leave a trail of destruction. You try to intimidate us but we are the ones delivering the tech. Fuck you Sea Org staff!!!

Int Management are awesome but someone needs to tell them that our Org needs help because our Org looks nothing like the shiny happy Orgs shown at events. Int Management are soo super.

Yep, thats how I felt. :biggrin:

Great thread.

New public are stupid wogs who hopefully will cognite that their lives are worthless without Scientology.

Public Scientologists are gutless, theety weety, douchebags who don't have have the balls to be on staff. We run around pampering these dilettantes while they do Scientology at their leisure. It makes me sick.

Class V Org staffers are the best & most brave. We work 50 - 60 hours a week in the Org for nothing, then have to go work wog jobs to earn money. Plus we have kids. Sea Orgers are soft compared to Class V staff. Sea Orgers get their food & accommodation paid for. How easy must it be to be in the Sea Org??

Sea Orgers are pumped up brats who don't know how hard we class V staff have it. You come into our orgs with your shiny shoes & your pretty braiding & tell us how to run our Orgs & always leave a trail of destruction. You try to intimidate us but we are the ones delivering the tech. Fuck you Sea Org staff!!!

Int Management are awesome but someone needs to tell them that our Org needs help because our Org looks nothing like the shiny happy Orgs shown at events. Int Management are soo super.

I actually still feel this way now, but I don't say it because then nobody will laugh at my jokes.

I'm in it for the laughs.

The Anabaptist Jacques

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great thread.

Wow. Can completely relate. Except my old-cult self would go, REALLY you ONLY work 50-60 hours a week in the org? How the FUCK do get away with that dilettantish schedule?

And, yes, as a clueless brainwashed staff-member, SO did piss me off. I heard they got time to do their laundry. They had their living area provided. They could show up and get fed. They got time to exercise, and supposedly their health-care was provided. I thought they were lucky because they only had to do one thing... we had to survive staff and also take care of day-to-day survival.

Stephanie

Patron with Honors
I have no idea how many times I was told to cognite about what the best thing to do was. And in my mind I would say, I have cognited, the best thing to do is get paid for working, idiot. lol

I'm better now, when I was younger I was obnoxious, now I wouldn't have added the idiot part.

In addition to what I said about OTs in the "field" of the org I worked at being dysfunctional, or despite saying that were dysfunctional, I knew that some of them were ex-staff, perhaps from way back, but they knew damn well how to get the money to get services, and it was NOT!!!! by working like a mug in the fucking org!!
I thought I knew that they knew that it was a bit of a losers game. The ones who had never worked in an org I resented. I knew that our applied religious philosophy organization needed them working to buy services but I also thought the ones who had never worked in an org were a bit fucked and lazy ( I can't think of exactly the right word).

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
From what I understand, there is a caste system policy about marriages in the Sea Org. For instance, someone in RTC can't marry someone in Gold, or someone in CMO can't marry someone from an outer org, etc. (Independent of the fact that Mister Miscarriage has outlawed marriage all together, at least at the Int base apparently). So, you are forbidden to marry someone "beneath" you. And if you're already married and your spouse is in a lower org, I think you have to divorce them.

You know, I actually think having a clear cut rule about this kind of thing is preferable.

I was very happy when I found out they finally came out with a rule that said "Sea Org members cannot have children." Period.

Because when you don't have the rule, recruiters will delude new recruits into thinking they will be able to have normal relationships. Have a family. Have children who will be taken care of.

And later have it blow up in their face when they cross those unwritten lines once they are sucked into it.

At least when it's spelled out, it's spelled out.

Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well, I kind of thought it wouldn't matter because I'd given up everything to join the Sea Org.

Like I said.

I was really fucking naive.

We all were Lulu.

It's like expecting thanks for the years of hard work - fat chance.

And that's one of the things, in retrospect, that really did clue me in as to how putrid scientology really was and is.

You gave up your life to work for the cause and worked damned hard and in ludicrous conditions. Even if you and I decided that there was nothing there for us - upon leaving where was the "thanks for all you have done"? All there is are dire threats of how evil and bad you are and how far you will fall.

Interesting story that kind of illustrates my point. About five years after I was out I was working as a security guard at a software company. I had moved up to being the security supervisor and part of my job became talking to and working with the weekend guys. There was one weekend guy who was great to work with, reliable, communicative, all the best poitns for someone doing a very boring job. We got to be friends over the period of a year or so. Turned out he was a former RC Priest. He had left the ministry in the late 70's as he wanted to be a "normal catholic" (his words) he no longer thought the life of a priest was worth all that he had to go through, he also thought that the church had not lived up to the promise of Vatican II. He had married, had a wonderful marriage and kids. His weekday job was working as a handyman/maintenance guy at a Catholic Church. I asked him about his experience of leaving the priesthood and he described a very detailed process that he said helped him. He was not ridiculed, attacked, "kicked out" or anything close to that.

Learning his story made me look at ours and it really did show me how utterly repugnant the CofS is.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
The elite corps, the sea org....There was no time for grooming, no money to buy toiletries, tobacco and cigarette papers came first for men, tampons for ladies after that soap was down the list somewhere. If public didn't look down on us they were crazy! There was a subspecies of SO member, dark blue blazer, badly cut hair, plaque on teeth, stained lanyard, shirt changed once a fortnight, dandruff round the collar, no idea why they were there or what scientology was, had never had any wins in their whole experience of the cult, given up on life, total robot. That was pretty much the norm at CLO level. Higher than that or in service orgs they were made to groom better, they even used ready made cigarettes and SHAMPOO!!!! I certainly despised myself for the state I was in.

Orgs divided into two, day staff and dilettantes, part time (foundation) staff. People with public spouses who were earning good money were up to, because they didn't need to moonlight, and looked down on because they allowed their spouse to be so off purpose, even when the loved one paid for their spouse's services.

Academy students looked down on public course students.

High OT's looked down on everyone.

It was all about status from top to bottom, and status gave you the right to shout at anyone bellow you. A troop of monkey really.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Scientology public look down on “wogs”.

Missions and Class V orgs look down on Scientology public and wogs.

SO Service Org staff look down on Mission and Org staff, Scientology public and wogs.

Middle Management staff look down on SO Service Org staff, Mission staff, org staff and wogs.

Upper Management staff look down on Middle Management, SO Service Org staff, Mission staff, org staff and wogs.

Miscavige looks down on all Scientology staff and public and will only allow wogs to do anything he considers important.

Secretly (or not so secretly) he only respects wogs.

Funny how it goes full circle.

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
From my experience, people in any branch were only friendly if it served their needs. To sea org, public was scum...unless they were about to leech them of big bucks. To sea org, class v orgs and missions were low life, unless they were about to swoop in and rip off their staff, or again, leech a public. Missions were on guard about sea org, having to be respectful to stay in their good graces and get them out of their hair quicker, in spite of 'hands-off' policy as regarded franchises. Missions fended off orgs as much as possible. Orgs preyed on missions for staff and public in violation of policies. Orgs kowtowed to sea org to keep out of trouble and "sacrificed" staff to them. lol. Public were generally looked on as 'unenlightened' scum until they rolled over. Then they were treated as royalty while on a service then scum when they weren't, royalty when they paid again, scum when they didn't. I think public got used to the game. Everyone, no matter where, either gave into their categorized and labeled positions and played the role 100% or they learned the game and did what they could to dance around it as if on a mine field. There are good hearted people in scn. Some really do just try to do their jobs and stay out of the politics. But that doesn't work. It was much like the KGB mentality. Sooner or later one is used for something or uses others. It gets dirty and unholy. It is certainly a religion that preys!

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I remember when someone was going around clearing SO members in the local CLO of enemy lines about this sort of thing, I was never seen, managed to escape with my enemy lines intact!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
As a public I came to see that some of the local org staff resented the public mainly for not being on staff themselves. They believed since they had made the sacrifice then many others who probably could join and "make it go right" were not doing so, and they resented it.

I was always being urged to join staff. The pressure just never stopped. I got to where I just hated going in to the org because I knew at least one staffer would corner me and reg me hard to join. To use LRH's stupid lingo it ARC broke me. But that turned out to be a good thing because it played a large role in my blowing. In my final analysis there was no way in hell I was ever going to join staff. :no:

I didn't experience a snotty attitude toward the public until I went to the Freewinds, but only by a handful of the SO staff there. Most of them seemed unhappy, and of course they were. That had to be the worst friggin place in the world to be on staff. I was only on board for a little more than 2 weeks and by the end I was muttering, "I've got to get off this damn boat!" Was anyone here on the Freewinds staff?

Back in Flag Bureaux in the early 80's, when public, especially FSO public, were thought about, it was with contempt. The purpose of public was to cough up money, do services, and get their awareness and confront up to the point where they would join the SO.

In retrospect, the purpose of the shitty living conditions that SO endured, was to harden their attitudes against the "dilettantes" (public and org staff), and make them more willing to oppress those below, because of the resentment coming from the feeling that conditions were bad because the dilettantes were not working hard enough.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
When I first joined staff, I was stunned to find out what staff really thought of the public. Public never had a clue how they were talked about behind closed doors. This definitely came from the top down. Briefings by the ED were kind of wild. We (as staff) were the only ones who cared enough to do something about it, and although we were there to help the public as beings--they were either totally fucked up or out-ethics. If not, they would be on staff. There were sometimes reminders that the org wouldn't be there without the public, so we should love them, but generally there was a hell of a lot of disdain.

One of the most-beloved auditors that was requested often by pc's because of her 'high' ARC would just shred most of the people she audited. Hell, most auditors seemed to do that in a 'safe space'. She said she just created the ARC--that's what you do as an auditor. People who thought she totally adored them would be stunned to hear what she really felt.

Full-time staff completely looked down on those who had to moonlight. Full-timers were mostly people who were supported by their spouses or parents.

When I was at Flag Bureaux, the CMO got us to listen to a tape by LRH to the SO, where he denigrated Org staff. My (unspoken) thought after hearing it was "I wonder what Ron says to the CMO about US, behind our backs?"

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Quite amazing to see how the fanaticism had developed and taken a hold of the SO and org structures . . . at least in the US where I was at that time.

In retrospect, it is to a degree understandable when you look at the incredible (even though unconscionably evil and stupid) sacrifices being inflicted on staff. It is understandable that they could think less of those who are not helping in the "noble cause" of saving the planet that they are on, and sacrificing and suffering so much to do so!

The suffering and the fanaticism go hand in hand. If staff had actually been making a decent salary, they would have seen public as customers to be cherished and served, rather than as sheep to be sheared.

I remember thinking (when I was a public a few years back), dealing with a staff member who was hostile to the idea of treating me like a customer: "I would like my service NOW, and yes I WOULD like fries with that!".

didn't say it. Perhaps I should have.

I just posted this in another thread, but I think it has some relevance here as to why the public are so looked down upon by some SO; in a nutshell, their indoctrination and service has taught them that the only thing that matters and is real is Scien.

So basically, Scientology is initially presented to be the cure for life, giving people the knowledge and ability to deal with life's problems, be successful, have better relationships with others, and just be an all around better person. But all of these things relate to L Rod's MEST universe, which is what all humans are concerned about - the things and people in their lives. Then, as a scientologist, you're told you're a ripe piece of garbage for having ANY want of things in the MEST universe like, a good job or a decent apartment or a loving relationship or a happy family or not getting cancer, etc. Anything AT ALL that doesn't have anything to do with Scientology is bad, pointless and wrong.

Why is there tech that addresses issues concerning a person's personal life when the main message is that there's no such thing as a personal life, there's only the life a person leads within Scientology, how their thoughts and actions affect it and ultimately make it stronger. Since this is the case, being a Public in and of itself is a contradiction. And while I know the progressive indoctrination/hypnotism takes care of pesky things like rational thought, after awhile, when your thetan realizes all of those donations, sec checks and events have done nothing to improve those things in your life you wanted to improve, there might be some real potential for the deprogramming of a public. Or getting them to join the sea org :omg: .

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
We all were Lulu.

<snippage>

Interesting story that kind of illustrates my point. About five years after I was out I was working as a security guard at a software company. I had moved up to being the security supervisor and part of my job became talking to and working with the weekend guys. There was one weekend guy who was great to work with, reliable, communicative, all the best poitns for someone doing a very boring job. We got to be friends over the period of a year or so. Turned out he was a former RC Priest. He had left the ministry in the late 70's as he wanted to be a "normal catholic" (his words) he no longer thought the life of a priest was worth all that he had to go through, he also thought that the church had not lived up to the promise of Vatican II. He had married, had a wonderful marriage and kids. His weekday job was working as a handyman/maintenance guy at a Catholic Church. I asked him about his experience of leaving the priesthood and he described a very detailed process that he said helped him. He was not ridiculed, attacked, "kicked out" or anything close to that.

Learning his story made me look at ours and it really did show me how utterly repugnant the CofS is.

I also met a Roman Catholic priest who left the priesthood. He, too, described the path out as very helpful and he was supported through the whole process. He's now married and does practice the faith. His church knows the disagreements he has with aspects of the faith, and accepts it. He thinks the religion isn't perfect, but the bezt fit he's found.

I know Catholicism has had more than its share of nasty business, but the problem I always had with Scio being compared to it was that pretty much every Catholic I knew felt comfortable questioning the church, and dissident views were allowed. I know in the past things were different, but in my generation in was the norm (and I moved something like 13 times before junior high, so I experienced a bunch of different churches). My mom also saw that in her generation--maybe, we were both lucky, but tolerance seems to be what I've witnessed.

The questions I would raise or viewpoints I expressed in my Catechism classes were always met with honest discussion. Something 1/100000 as harsh when I was in Scio would be met with a huge ethics bat and a ton of word-clearing.

I also like that they do tons of charity work that folks are often unaware of, because they don't lavish their name all over it, and don't speak religion when they do the work. They just do what they are called to do... Scio would never just go send out VMs without turning in into a promo piece.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Wow! Just wow! To most of the posts here that describe the disgust with which others in the cult were regarded.

I really had no idea.

Mrs. Pattycake

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
I felt the love coming from above. At every level. My senior loved the hell out of me - I sure did deserve to be physically kicked. My senior's seniors at CLO were awesomely loving - especially Pedro, the MAA. Everyone just loved to see him coming their way - it was a sight to behold. The love that emanated from - especially I remember having a lovely cycle with the guy from the TRs film (not Dan Koon the other guy) - it was so very theta being screamed at in such a loving fashion, telling me what a worthless piece of shit I was. Oh the rapturous joy that filled me as I sat there in his awesome presence.

You really felt the love when you got bodily slammed against a wall - it just bubbled through you.

God such wonderful memories. Where's that billion year contract, get me a pen ...