What's new

Scientology Tucson Mission collapse and closure?

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

From the Independent Scientology blog Possibly Helpful Advice:

Tucson Mission collapse/closure?
http://possiblyhelpfuladvice.com/?p=16160

If you’ll recall we covered some enturbulence there in our post on Fear and Loathing in the Tucson Mission back in March 2012.

During the hostile takeover of that Mission, the Class VI auditor, C/S, fully-hatted Mission Executive Director and fully-hatted Mission HCO Secretary (yes, one guy!) was ejected, followed a few months later by the ejection of the fully-hatted Professional Dianetics Auditor/Dianetics Course Supervisor.

There have been no new tech terminals added to the Mission since then, since it was obviously an unsafe and inimical environment. (See Mike Rinder’s survey on which people in Scientology are guaranteed to get Declared.)

What a surprise! One of our undercover operatives sent some e-mails in to us yesterday and today about some actual activity at the “church” of Scientology Inc mission in Tucson.
I was driving past the Tucson Mission at 1703 E Fort Lowell Rd in Tucson Wednesday January 15 at 2pm and noticed the front door was ajar.

Knowing the mission hasn’t been open on a Wednesday since before 2011, I was naturally curious.

I stuck my head in the door. No one was visible, but I could see the reception room was stacked five feet high in boxes with only a tiny aisle to walk in. Past the boxes I could see the furniture and wall adornments had been taken down.

I didn’t go in to see if the course room had been disassembled.

I made some calls to some people I know with some remaining ties to the Tucson Mission and found out some stuff.

(1) The Mission’s phone and computer services have been disconnected and reconnected repeatedly over the past year; mostly this was done because of non-payment.

(2) The gullible Scientologists who in 2007 were signed up to make $100/month donations to help the mission pay its rent have largely disappeared, and the lone remaining contributor only donates every two or three months.

(3) Earlier this month, the mission received a notice from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department that the county tax collector had asked for and received a judgment that allows the sheriff’s office to “seize all goods and chattels” in order to pay the mission’s tax bill that is over six months past due.

(4) Reports have been written about the mission’s ED, a brute named Shayne (Steven) Settle, who is openly armed and constantly hitting on any female who comes in, but the church did nothing to fix the problem.

(5) Shayne’s only real products (since being involved in the hostile takeover of the mission orchestrated by David Nagoda) are two new staff members: his wife Cheryl, who has done a less than lackluster job as the mission’s PES (Public Executive Secretary…responsible for getting new public into the mission and onto services), and a former mission public named Richard who came onto mission lines when his suppressive family told him to stay away from Scientology and he had an accident that resulted in the loss of a couple very visible teeth.

(6) The latter is so PTS that he gets his Scientology mail at Shayne’s house so his family won’t find out he’s still got Scientology connections. Shayne provides this “service” for other PTS mission public.

(7) The mission’s credit is so shot that they can’t find new quarters, so it looks like they’re moving the “goods and chattels” into storage. Most believe that Bryant Nodine will service the few remaining students out of his house until there are none are left to deliver to.

(8) The charter under which Scientology Missions International make Mission Holders operate require that (a) the mission is never closed down (which is a Crime) and (b) the Mission Holder will do whatever is necessary to keep the mission out of legal hot water. The Tucson Mission hasn’t had a Mission Holder since Ray Armstrong blew in about 2007, so is in fact has been operating outside the mission charter for seven years.

(9) David Nagoda tried to take over the mission in 2011, but the takeover failed and he hasn’t been seen at the mission since then. The scuttlebutt is that Nagoda tried to orchestrate the takeover in order to get admitted to the OT levels without actually contributing to Scientology in the ways that are normally done, such as training to Grad V auditor, interned.

(10) Without a Mission Holder to hang lower conditions on, it’s likely no one will take the brunt of responsibility for the mission closedown. Either that, or the brute Shayne Settle will get saddled with lower conditions that he will never do and therefore be banned from the OT levels and future Scientology services the rest of this lifetime.

That report was followed up today with this one:
Just in case I was mistaken about the situation at the Tucson Mission, I went by today (January 16). The front door wasn’t standing open but I could clearly see through the front window that the reception area with the bookstore had been packed up leaving only empty shelves.

There were still boxes in the reception area.

The door to what used to be an auditing room was open and it was easily observed there was no furniture in it.

The reception area 32” television and cabinet for viewing Scientology videos had been removed.

I went around to the dumpster behind the mission and found scads of Scientology promo in the dumpster, including what looked to be about 10,000 church-provided OCAs.

Tossing the promo would indicate that they’re not planning to set up in new quarters elsewhere.

So there it is: if the Tucson Mission isn’t closing down completely, it’s at least shrunk to unviability and isn’t moving to newer, shinier, bigger quarters.

Remember that it’s a CRIME to permit a section, unit, department, org, zone or Division to collapse (per HCO PL 7 March 1965 III JUSTICE, OFFENSES & PENALTIES).

Letting an SP collapse stats or an org is a shooting offense. (per HCO PL 7 December 1969 ETHICS, THE DESIGN OF).

Wow. The ejection of the two highly-trained auditors from the mission by a brute didn’t expand the mission. Permitting a South African ruffian to be the Executive Director of the mission did precede its collapse.

Will the shrinkage/closure of the Tucson Mission result in Scientology justice actions being taken on the Mission’s Executive Director. Will the people who took part in the hostile takeover get Declared? Will SMI reports to Int reflect the shrinkage/closure of the Tucson Mission?

I am compelled to point out that the collapse takes place only a few months after the GAT II release, and the New Year’s event at which Miscavige claimed “2014 is ours”.

And I would be remiss if I didn’t take this opportunity to point out that the Phoenix Idle Org, which was a drain on the Tucson field since before its grand opening July 17 2012, had something to do with the Tucson Mission closedown less than 18 months later. (The same thing happened to the North Phoenix mission…long-disappeared.)

Could it be that the lack of Arizona-wide promo from the “flourishing” Phoenix Idyllic Org led to the Tucson closedown?

The Idyllic Org program was instrumental in reducing or closing almost all the missions in the LA area, after all.

I wonder if, after this week’s flap about the lies concerning Scientology in Ireland, Miscavige’s next Int Event will tell the truth about how many Missions have closed in 2014.

Whuuuuut? No?

Go figure.

— written by Plain Old Thetan

Deeana

Patron with Honors
Fantastic! Hopefully the person around here who keeps lists will start one called "Closed Orgs" and the list will fill up quickly. Can Dublin be far behind?

Anonycat

Crusader
I believe this is "the brute Shayne (Steve) Settle":

View attachment 6515

His Linkedin profile is at www.linkedin.com/pub/shayne-settle/36/b43/64a. He's the owner at Postulate Press. He speaks Afrikaans. Sure sounds like him.

He's quite the Renaissance man. He's a goldsmith, a web designer, and repairs shoes.

52 years old, with a Tucson address. Living in a trailer. His other LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shayne-settle/83/2b5/738

https://plus.google.com/108611105447210269867/posts

pvmt.jpg

Anonycat

Crusader
The Tucson website has almost no content. Most pages have been scrubbed, with the Creed on most pages. The Services We Offer page looks like this:

Warning: include(serv/serv_list.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/f/e/o/feohtanstrang/html/scn/index.php on line 55

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'serv/serv_list.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/f/e/o/feohtanstrang/html/scn/index.php on line 55

Edit: He also owns the cult site: http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?k...&domain=scientologytucson.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

Federal Lien: SETTLE ENTERPRISES INC 5725 W BOPP RD, 85735. Amount Owed: $2,151.68. Sequence No. 2012 0470073.
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com...cle_786f092c-64be-11e1-a929-0019bb2963f4.html

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Re:
(3) Earlier this month, the mission received a notice from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department that the county tax collector had asked for and received a judgment that allows the sheriff’s office to “seize all goods and chattels” in order to pay the mission’s tax bill that is over six months past due.

There is no way that the above information is accurate. If anything, they got a notice to pay 2012 taxes which amount to $81

This property is actually located in a strip of store units 1303- 1309 E Fort Lowell Rd in Tucson
Pima County Geographic Information Systems
Parcel 113-06-138A
http://gis.pima.gov/maps/detail.cfm?parcel=11306138A7
The church mission is a tenant at 1303, not an owner of this property. There are no real estate property taxes owning on this property and any owed are paid by the owners. There are no deed changes for many years now. The property ( which is a combined number of units ) is still on the deed in the name of the owner, REITA R LIPSITZ TR, and the trust pays the property taxes ( and pay timely ).

Book-Map-Parcel: 113-06-138A Oblique Image Tax Year: Tax Area:1050
Property Address:
Street No Street Direction Street Name Location
1703 E FORT LOWELL RD Tucson
1705 E FORT LOWELL RD Tucson
1707 E FORT LOWELL RD Tucson
1709 E FORT LOWELL RD Tucson
Taxpayer Information:
LIPSITZ REITA R TR
ATTN: SHERWIN ALAN LIPSITZ TR
1680 W JAGGED ROCK RD
TUCSON AZ
85704- 8308

The church mission is listed at that address in the assessor tax records only for personal property taxes for that address at the Pima County property assessor office.

The mission has only 2 years of current and back personal property taxes amounting to a combined total of $under $160 owing ( and that includes interest on 2012 year). This is for years 2012 and 2013. They are not in arrears for 2013 personal property taxes for 2013. $ 71.57.
the http://www.to.pima.gov/pcto/tweb/property_inquiry/show/13012205820

They owe $ 81.76 for 2012. http://www.to.pima.gov/pcto/tweb/property_inquiry/show/12012205820

I could find no notice of lien against the property nor against the mission. I could find no other court cases in the Pima Co court index against the church there except an old 1987 judgement by a leasing company.

This combined $160 in personal property taxes is hardly an amount worthy of the Sheriff's attention, especially since the county never sued and produced a lien to take possession of the property. They still consider the personal taxes of $160 combined to be owning and due by the church in their current records.

The City of Tucson has not issued any building permits since 2007 and there are no violations on record.

I think it's important to have accurate information. If the mission is packed up for closing, it has nothing to do with any tax debt. There is no evidence they are being evicted or have been evicted by the owners. There is also no evidence that another Church of Scientology entity owns property in Pima Co AZ.

AnonyMary

Mary,

I have no idea really, but maybe there was confusion about the lien on his place at 5725 W Bopp Rd., Tucson. The link is in my post above yours, and there's also this about that property: http://www.forsalebyowner.com/property/5725-W-Bopp-Rd-Tucson-AZ-85735/5304044

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=5725...r=c&cbll=32.176878,-111.086894&cbp=12,0,0,0,0

Perhaps, but the OP quote from Possibly Helpful Advice ( David St Lawrence ) was about the Tucson Mission at 1703 E Fort Lowell Rd

From the Independent Scientology blog Possibly Helpful Advice:
What a surprise! One of our undercover operatives sent some e-mails in to us yesterday and today about some actual activity at the “church” of Scientology Inc mission in Tucson.
I was driving past the Tucson Mission at 1703 E Fort Lowell Rd in Tucson Wednesday January 15 at 2pm and noticed the front door was ajar.

Knowing the mission hasn’t been open on a Wednesday since before 2011, I was naturally curious.

I stuck my head in the door. No one was visible, but I could see the reception room was stacked five feet high in boxes with only a tiny aisle to walk in. Past the boxes I could see the furniture and wall adornments had been taken down.

I didn’t go in to see if the course room had been disassembled.

I made some calls to some people I know with some remaining ties to the Tucson Mission and found out some stuff.

(1) The Mission’s phone and computer services have been disconnected and reconnected repeatedly over the past year; mostly this was done because of non-payment.

(2) The gullible Scientologists who in 2007 were signed up to make $100/month donations to help the mission pay its rent have largely disappeared, and the lone remaining contributor only donates every two or three months.

(4) Reports have been written about the mission’s ED, a brute named Shayne (Steven) Settle, who is openly armed and constantly hitting on any female who comes in, but the church did nothing to fix the problem.

(5) Shayne’s only real products (since being involved in the hostile takeover of the mission orchestrated by David Nagoda) are two new staff members: his wife Cheryl, who has done a less than lackluster job as the mission’s PES (Public Executive Secretary…responsible for getting new public into the mission and onto services), and a former mission public named Richard who came onto mission lines when his suppressive family told him to stay away from Scientology and he had an accident that resulted in the loss of a couple very visible teeth.

(6) The latter is so PTS that he gets his Scientology mail at Shayne’s house so his family won’t find out he’s still got Scientology connections. Shayne provides this “service” for other PTS mission public.

(7) The mission’s credit is so shot that they can’t find new quarters, so it looks like they’re moving the “goods and chattels” into storage. Most believe that Bryant Nodine will service the few remaining students out of his house until there are none are left to deliver to.

(8) The charter under which Scientology Missions International make Mission Holders operate require that (a) the mission is never closed down (which is a Crime) and (b) the Mission Holder will do whatever is necessary to keep the mission out of legal hot water. The Tucson Mission hasn’t had a Mission Holder since Ray Armstrong blew in about 2007, so is in fact has been operating outside the mission charter for seven years.

(9) David Nagoda tried to take over the mission in 2011, but the takeover failed and he hasn’t been seen at the mission since then. The scuttlebutt is that Nagoda tried to orchestrate the takeover in order to get admitted to the OT levels without actually contributing to Scientology in the ways that are normally done, such as training to Grad V auditor, interned.

(10) Without a Mission Holder to hang lower conditions on, it’s likely no one will take the brunt of responsibility for the mission closedown. Either that, or the brute Shayne Settle will get saddled with lower conditions that he will never do and therefore be banned from the OT levels and future Scientology services the rest of this lifetime.
That report was followed up today with this one:
Just in case I was mistaken about the situation at the Tucson Mission, I went by today (January 16). The front door wasn’t standing open but I could clearly see through the front window that the reception area with the bookstore had been packed up leaving only empty shelves.

There were still boxes in the reception area.

The door to what used to be an auditing room was open and it was easily observed there was no furniture in it.

The reception area 32” television and cabinet for viewing Scientology videos had been removed.

I went around to the dumpster behind the mission and found scads of Scientology promo in the dumpster, including what looked to be about 10,000 church-provided OCAs.

Tossing the promo would indicate that they’re not planning to set up in new quarters elsewhere.
Tucson Mission collapse/closure?
http://possiblyhelpfuladvice.com/?p=16160

Anonycat

Crusader
Perhaps, but the OP quote from Possibly Helpful Advice ( David St Lawrence ) was about the Tucson Mission at 1703 E Fort Lowell Rd

Yes, that was my point. The mission location at the strip mall does not have a lien, but his name is associated with a property lien. But again, I have no idea if there was confusion with that or not.

AnonyMary

5725 W BOPP RD is the personal Real Estate property owned by the Settles. They are not overdue on their property taxes. This federal lien is a corporate or corporate payroll tax Federal Lien by a company they own, unrelated to the mission. They own a shoe business
Mike & Bob's Shoe Repair is not BBB Accredited.

Additional Information

On July 09, 2010, the company filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 of the federal Bankruptcy Act, case number 10-21614.

Those with monetary claims against the company are advised to obtain a Proof of Claim form by writing to Arizona Bankruptcy Court CM/ECF, 38 S. Scott Avenue, Tucson, AZ, 85701 for resubmission to that court.

The case number should be entered on the form.
BBB file opened: 12/10/2002Business started: 12/10/2002New Owner Date: 10/01/2004
Type of Entity

Corporation

Incorporated: October 2004, AZ
Contact Information
Principal: Mr. Shayne Settle (President)
Number of Employees

Business Category

Shoe Repair
Alternate Business Names
Settle Enterprises, Inc., Desert Lion Leatherworks & Shoe Repair
- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/tucson/business-...air-in-tucson-az-4001448#sthash.YAKok6cz.dpuf
http://www.bbb.org/tucson/business-...ike-and-bobs-shoe-repair-in-tucson-az-4001448

This federal lien against 'SETTLE ENTERPRISES INC 5725 W BOPP RD, 85735 - Amount Owed: $2,151.68. Sequence No. 2012 0470073.' has nothing to do with Scientology

Real Property Tax Inquiry

PROPERTY ADDRESS
5725 W BOPP RD

LEGAL DESCRIPTION
TARSHA ACRES LOT 4

STATE CODE: 212490740 TAX YEAR: 2013
TOTAL TAX: $ 2,321.80 AS OF DATE: 01/18/14

TAXPAYER NAME/ADDRESS
SETTLE CHERYL LYNN
5725 W BOPP RD
TUCSON AZ 85735-8863

URRENT STATUS AND SUMMARY
FIRST
INSTALLMENT SECOND
INSTALLMENT
TOTALS
TAX DUE: $ 1,160.90 $ 1,160.90 $ 2,321.80
INTEREST DUE:
TAX PAID: ($ 1,160.90) ($ 1,160.90)
PAID DATE: 11/01/2013

REMAINING AMOUNT: $0.00 $ 1,160.90 $ 1,160.90

TOTAL DUE: $ 1,160.90
http://www.to.pima.gov/pcto/tweb/property_inquiry/show/212490740

wazn

Patron with Honors
The Tucson website has almost no content. Most pages have been scrubbed, with the Creed on most pages. The Services We Offer page looks like this:

Warning: include(serv/serv_list.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/f/e/o/feohtanstrang/html/scn/index.php on line 55

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'serv/serv_list.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/f/e/o/feohtanstrang/html/scn/index.php on line 55

Edit: He also owns the cult site: http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?k...&domain=scientologytucson.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

Federal Lien: SETTLE ENTERPRISES INC 5725 W BOPP RD, 85735. Amount Owed: $2,151.68. Sequence No. 2012 0470073.
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com...cle_786f092c-64be-11e1-a929-0019bb2963f4.html

Geesh, it looks like Julianne is still connected in the business/wog world. Ashford address is a residence. But, her current residence is in CW.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 25

Anonycat

Crusader
The addresses I found for her are: 1318 L Ron Hubbard Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027, the Tucson address, and: 1851 Ivar Ave #600, Hollywood, CA 90028

wazn

Patron with Honors
The addresses I found for her are: 1318 L Ron Hubbard Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027, the Tucson address, and: 1851 Ivar Ave #600, Hollywood, CA 90028

They (she's married) own another house in CW, which is her actual residence. She is somehow connected to a store "Thistle" in Dunedin. She's on 7 :eyeroll: but evidently didn't scrub her connection to the mission in Tucson (which was a project to gain ok for her to do her OT levels... Well, that and lots of money from her and hubby).

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
"Not with a bang, but with a whimper." While folks get excited about the possible legal damage to corporate Scientology from big court cases, it is a sad thing to watch the quiet decay of the grassroots. Sad because some poor *&^#$% ends up impoverishing him or herself trying to keep a hopeless dream alive while what is laughingly called 'upper management' guts them mercilessly. Welcome to the exciting 'front lines' of Scientology. Like the worm Ouroboros, what we knew as Scientology is eating itself. Miscavage and his minions may well rise from the ashes on wings made of parishioner dollars, but one can hope he then flies too close to the sun.

Anonycat

Crusader
"Not with a bang, but with a whimper." While folks get excited about the possible legal damage to corporate Scientology from big court cases, it is a sad thing to watch the quiet decay of the grassroots. Sad because some poor *&^#$% ends up impoverishing him or herself trying to keep a hopeless dream alive while what is laughingly called 'upper management' guts them mercilessly. Welcome to the exciting 'front lines' of Scientology. Like the worm Ouroboros, what we knew as Scientology is eating itself. Miscavage and his minions may well rise from the ashes on wings made of parishioner dollars, but one can hope he then flies too close to the sun.

How can this madness survive?

wholetrackcassettes.jpg

unobelieve.jpg