What's new

Scientology Vessel Sealed Off For Asbestos Contamination

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
My feeling is that perhaps that money should be preserved and used for good rather than lawyers.

alex

I'm not sure what your point is, but, assuming for the moment the rather high speculative sum of 10 Billion (something I suspect is high by a factor of maybe 2 or 3,) there's no reason to think that any of that stash or its earnings is trickling back downlines. Once it's safely stashed, that's where it stays (invested and growing.)

There's plenty enough 'not-quite-black-enough' money to support millions spent for harassment and lawyers and skullduggery without touching the principle or even seriously taking a bite out of 'income' (non-laundered income).

Should Scientology's assets be confiscated and be used for 'good'? Certainly. And just as certainly the continuation of Scientology as an organization or 'movement' is anything but 'good'.

Also fairly clear is that even at $10 Billion, Scientology's assets are not enough to actually approach being enough to pay for the harm that Scientology has done. To thousands. Over 50 years.

Zinj

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Well, 10 $Billion may sound like alot to us, but it really puts the whole
shebang in the category of a small to mid level corporation (of which
there are thousands listed on US stock exchanges alone). In a world
wide comparison, a mere $10 billion says that Scientology is really
a small fish in a very large pond. With inflation running(contrary to
official government data) at around 12-14% per year....they need
to be earning about $1.4 billion a year just to avoid lose of
purchasing power! If they are only making $100 million or so...
they are doiing poorly indeed and will be eaten alive by current
market conditions.

nowout

Patron with Honors
With a few weeks left before MV event week, this must be the top-of-the list flap at the moment, although the competition is pretty high these days.

If this doesn't get resolved in the next couple of weeks, it will be a wipeout on the Maiden Voyage Anniversary. Would it be the first ever MV week on land if it ended up that way? Anyone know?

The most logical thing would be for DM to get a new vessel. Why the heck hang onto this old piece of junk? The problem, I assume, is that you can't just up and buy a ship (especially not one rated as an ice breaker) and have it ready to sail in a few week's time? It's not like they don't have the money to buy a new ship.

Whether it was his fault or not, Captain FW has probably scored significant shitlist points on this one and greatly increased his chances of making it to the SP Room and learn what it means to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With all the attention on the ship itself, how well do you suppose the preparations for any sort of an event that is supposed to take place aboard it are going?

Far as I recall, the MV was the highest income-making event in 2006 -- when it made something like $68,000,000. I don't know if that was the highest ever event income but it was up there.

Aiming for that lowest ever this year.

Wasn't last year's MV held in August at FLB whereby the Basics were released? I also thought that this year's MV would mark the 20th Anniversary, so it would be a double flap if there were no MV this year.

If Mike Napier were not the fall guy, who else is there? There wasn't a WDC FSSO and Jenny Linson is in the SP Hall already. Is there a CO CMO Ship - Jenny Alpers? Seems like there are less fall guys left to whip.

IASA has their offices on the Failwinds as well, as the donations are collected and kept offshore. I guess these guys are wearing asbestos masks too.

Good twin

Floater
About 10 years ago I was on the ship and was told that the FSSO crew were not allowed to smoke if they were over 60 years old, or something like that. There was a new policy about it. It seemed so strange that SO members had to quit smoking. It seems they were acknowledging the health risks of smoking, but apparently weren't ready to acknowledge asbestos. This could work against the church, I would think. It's obvious to me that they don't even believe their own BS.:confused2:

nowout

Patron with Honors
About 10 years ago I was on the ship and was told that the FSSO crew were not allowed to smoke if they were over 60 years old, or something like that. There was a new policy about it. It seemed so strange that SO members had to quit smoking. It seems they were acknowledging the health risks of smoking, but apparently weren't ready to acknowledge asbestos. This could work against the church, I would think. It's obvious to me that they don't even believe their own BS.:confused2:

That's interesting, they sold cigarettes (tax free) at the crew canteen and giftshop as I recall.

Good twin

Floater
That's interesting, they sold cigarettes (tax free) at the crew canteen and giftshop as I recall.

Yes. That's right. Public could buy and any staff not above the arbitrary age assigned to quit smoking. Does anyone else remember this? At that time all the original OT8s were back on Solo NOTS and I heard also that the new tech rule was no one could complete Solo NOTs in less WDAH then it took LRH to complete it. It was all kind of added arbitrary crap. (Of course I didn't realize it at the time:eyeroll: )

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Commenting on church finances, which I know little about.

But I do know that CCI was appraised at 52 million in 92, before the grounds were done and before the pavillion was done. So they have assets too.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, 10 $Billion may sound like alot to us, but it really puts the whole
shebang in the category of a small to mid level corporation (of which
there are thousands listed on US stock exchanges alone). In a world
wide comparison, a mere $10 billion says that Scientology is really
a small fish in a very large pond. With inflation running(contrary to
official government data) at around 12-14% per year....they need
to be earning about $1.4 billion a year just to avoid lose of
purchasing power! If they are only making $100 million or so...
they are doiing poorly indeed and will be eaten alive by current
market conditions.

I'm curious what numbers you are using, and what country, to assess inflation at that rate.

petraph33

Patron with Honors

I was on the ship in 1989 for about 2-3 months, doing the "officer training school" does anybody know if this could have consequences for my health???? :ohmy: I would really like to know if there is somethingI should do about this??? :unsure:

PTS Type H

I was on the ship in 1989 for about 2-3 months, doing the "officer training school" does anybody know if this could have consequences for my health???? :ohmy: I would really like to know if there is somethingI should do about this??? :unsure:

I'm not an expert on the subject (or even that knowledgeable on it), but from my limited understanding, asbestos is only dangerous when airborne. To the extent it stays in the walls, or remains wet, its is fairly safe. However when it is disturbed, such as drilling holes through it, or other things that would cause it to create airborne dust. This dust when breathed in can get stuck in your lungs and cause problems down the line.

If you didn't hang around any of the renovation works, then chances are your exposure may have been minimal. If you are still worried, it may be worth mentioning this to your doctor, the next time you visit him/her. However I don't think there is a huge amount that can be done after the fact.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
The most logical thing would be for DM to get a new vessel. Why the heck hang onto this old piece of junk? The problem, I assume, is that you can't just up and buy a ship (especially not one rated as an ice breaker) and have it ready to sail in a few week's time? It's not like they don't have the money to buy a new ship.

I think part of the problem is that pretty much all older ships have an asbestos issue.

http://www.asbestos.net/veterans/common-asbestos-exposure-products-on-navy-ships.html

Before its dangers became universally acknowledged, asbestos was a valuable commodity in the world of shipbuilding in the 20th century. Resistant to corrosion and heat, it seemed an ideal material to overcome many shipboard dangers. Over 300 asbestos-containing materials were commonly used on ships until the 1970s. Although the Navy eventually instigated an asbestos abatement program, many of these materials remained in place on existing ships. Even now in the 21st century some asbestos-containing material (ACM) is still allowed during new ship construction if no good alternative exists.

So, chances are that, unless, they bought a brand new ship which meets modern codes, they would still have to strip the asbestos out.

petraph33

Patron with Honors
I'm not an expert on the subject (or even that knowledgeable on it), but from my limited understanding, asbestos is only dangerous when airborne. To the extent it stays in the walls, or remains wet, its is fairly safe. However when it is disturbed, such as drilling holes through it, or other things that would cause it to create airborne dust. This dust when breathed in can get stuck in your lungs and cause problems down the line.

If you didn't hang around any of the renovation works, then chances are your exposure may have been minimal. If you are still worried, it may be worth mentioning this to your doctor, the next time you visit him/her. However I don't think there is a huge amount that can be done after the fact.

Thanks very much for this. I will check it out with my doctor next time. But I did not do renovation work, so hopefully all is well.... :unsure: