What's new

Scientology vs Christianity on Truth (FB Commenting open)

Anonycat

Crusader
Scientology vs Christianity on Truth

An advertisement for the Church of Scientology was broadcast during the recent Super Bowl. This ad might remind you of the Apple's advertising. The commercial includes these words:

"Dare to think for yourself. To look for yourself. To make up your own mind because in the eternal debate for answers, the one thing that’s true, is what’s true for you."

Some critics of Scientology accuse it of being self-help dressed up in science fiction and some critics may also make similar criticisms of Christianity - that it is self-help cloaked in religious concepts but there are some key differences.

The Bible does not teach relativism. Spiritual truth is not subjective. It is revealed in scripture and ultimately it is embodied in Jesus Christ.

Jesus told Thomas the disciple, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Postscript

I should have defined "relativism" so here is a definition from Google:

"The doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute."

Article and OSA Comments: http://blogs.christianpost.com/videos/scientology-vs-christianity-on-truth-14469/

Anonycat

Crusader
Thanks.

Where is this on FB? Got a loink or group name?

I meant that Comments are open, and when you start to comment, it will ask you to do so using a Facebook account. You don't have to go to Facebook, it all happens on the Comments page. URL to see is in the OP.

... The Bible does not teach relativism. Spiritual truth is not subjective. It is revealed in scripture and ultimately it is embodied in Jesus Christ.

Jesus told Thomas the disciple, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

No. That is how followers of Paul of Tarsus have chosen to interpret both the texts of the Hebrew Tanakh and the early christian doctrines which were approved by the dominant sub-group of the followers of Paul. Many early "christians" believed no such thing, including most importantly the original disciples of Jesus. :no:

What evidence that does exist about Jesus shows clearly that he was a devoutly observant jew to whom the subsequent doctrines of Paul & his followers would have appeared as the worst sort of blasphemies. Further evidence exists within the new testament with the admission that Paul was expelled from the initial group of jewish christians for the preaching of heretical doctrines and his life repeatedly threatened by jewish christians because of his routine blasphemies and heresies.

Believe what you wish, but don't seek to confuse your beliefs regarding absolute truth as something revealed to you by your personal divinity. You'ld be just as well off in the Sea Org. :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

Anonycat

Crusader
No. That is how followers of Paul of Tarsus have chosen to interpret both the texts of the Hebrew Tanakh and the early christian doctrines which were approved by the dominant sub-group of the followers of Paul. Many early "christians" believed no such thing, including most importantly the original disciples of Jesus. :no:

What evidence that does exist about Jesus shows clearly that he was a devoutly observant jew to whom the subsequent doctrines of Paul & his followers would have appeared as the worst sort of blasphemies. Further evidence exists within the new testament with the admission that Paul was expelled from the initial group of jewish christians for the preaching of heretical doctrines and his life repeatedly threatened by jewish christians because of his routine blasphemies and heresies.

Believe what you wish, but don't seek to confuse your beliefs regarding absolute truth as something revealed to you by your personal divinity. You'ld be just as well off in the Sea Org. :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

I think you might want to take that up with the author. Link is in the OP. Unless you wanted me to relay your message to the Comments or Author?

Last edited:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientological truth: "Scientology is expanding like never before, but we are at a critical junction ... we need to get the Super Power building open as soon as possible, if not yesterday! That is where YOU come in ... it will require $55k IMMEDIATELY in order to get the Scientology cross put on the building, which will make it a church as far as the Clearwater building commission goes, and the problem with them is blah blah blah etc. You can hand that check or charge, either way is fine, and of course, your status will be upgraded from corner stone to gall bladder stone doofus meritorious silver, and you get a great trophy!"

Christian truth: "Our ministry is reaching more souls than ever! The Holy Spirit is moving mightily! Revival is BREAKING OUT within the tribe of the UngaBungas and all throughout UngaBungaLand!!! But we are in a real war with the Powers of Darkness, and WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! By that, brothers and sisters, I mean that it costs money to stay on the air to KEEP GETTING THE MESSAGE OUT!! As it stands now, we are $2 million dollars in arrears, and your love offerings are needed urgently!!! And for those who can donate $250 or more today, you will receive, absolutely free, a genuine Jumpin Jimmy red letter edition of the Bible, complete with a place for your family history plus a biblical map section, showing the entire middle east as it was at the time of Christ. Credit cards are accepted, and operators are standing by!!!"

Christian truth tends to be far more economical at least.

Pete

Scientological truth: "Scientology is expanding like never before, but we are at a critical junction ... we need to get the Super Power building open as soon as possible, if not yesterday! That is where YOU come in ... it will require $55k IMMEDIATELY in order to get the Scientology cross put on the building, which will make it a church as far as the Clearwater building commission goes, and the problem with them is blah blah blah etc. You can hand that check or charge, either way is fine, and of course, your status will be upgraded from corner stone to gall bladder stone doofus meritorious silver, and you get a great trophy!"

Christian truth: "Our ministry is reaching more souls than ever! The Holy Spirit is moving mightily! Revival is BREAKING OUT within the tribe of the UngaBungas and all throughout UngaBungaLand!!! But we are in a real war with the Powers of Darkness, and WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! By that, brothers and sisters, I mean that it costs money to stay on the air to KEEP GETTING THE MESSAGE OUT!! As it stands now, we are $2 million dollars in arrears, and your love offerings are needed urgently!!! And for those who can donate $250 or more today, you will receive, absolutely free, a genuine Jumpin Jimmy red letter edition of the Bible, complete with a place for your family history plus a biblical map section, showing the entire middle east as it was at the time of Christ. Credit cards are accepted, and operators are standing by!!!"

Christian truth tends to be far more economical at least.

Pete

no...

christian truth costs much much more...

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
snip. Further evidence exists within the new testament with the admission that Paul was expelled from the initial group of jewish christians for the preaching of heretical doctrines and his life repeatedly threatened by jewish christians because of his routine blasphemies and heresies.

Mark A. Baker

DOX or STFU.

Anonycat

Crusader
DOX or STFU.

BOOM.

dead-sea-scrolls-7156541.jpg

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK, cool!

Baker was getting a little intense there for a bit.

Of course, I should know better than to goad Baker, but WTF.

Do you know what the oldest writing in Christianity is?

The letters of Paul.

About 30 years earlier than the first Gospel - Mark.

Hopefully, I have Baker scurrying around for references for his massive generalities.

:biggrin:

Teanntás

Silver Meritorious Patron
Scientology vs Christianity on Truth

An advertisement for the Church of Scientology was broadcast during the recent Super Bowl. This ad might remind you of the Apple's advertising. The commercial includes these words:

Some critics of Scientology accuse it of being self-help dressed up in science fiction and some critics may also make similar criticisms of Christianity - that it is self-help cloaked in religious concepts but there are some key differences.

The Bible does not teach relativism. Spiritual truth is not subjective. It is revealed in scripture and ultimately it is embodied in Jesus Christ.

Postscript

I should have defined "relativism" so here is a definition from Google:

"The doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute."

Article and OSA Comments: http://blogs.christianpost.com/videos/scientology-vs-christianity-on-truth-14469/

Protagoras: Truth is relative. It is only a matter of opinion.
Socrates: You mean that truth is mere subjective opinion?
Protagoras: Exactly. What is true for you is true for you, and what is true for me, is true for me. Truth is subjective.
Socrates: Do you really mean that? That my opinion is true by virtue of its being my opinion?
Protagoras: Indeed I do.
Socrates: My opinion is: Truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you, Mr. Protagoras, are absolutely in error. Since this is my opinion, then you must grant that it is true according to your philosophy.
Protagoras: You are quite correct, Socrates.

http://www.braincrave.com/viewblog.php?id=479

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
OK, cool!

Do you know what the oldest writing in Christianity is?

The letters of Paul.

About 30 years earlier than the first Gospel - Mark.

:biggrin:

Historically, you forgot to mention early gnostic "Christian" writings.
IMO, the synoptic Gospels were written (much later than Paul's) to settle (put aside) the gnostic teachings.