What's new

Scientology vs. Psychiatry

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Body dysmorphia is interesting to me. I read a few books about it when I was a teen. I'm still interested in it, now. I'm not suggesting that a person should go to the Church or pay someone in the FreeZone for help with it, but if someone were in my area and had that issue, I would be happy to work on it with them, pro-bono, because I do think I could be of help. It's one of those conditions that strikes me as not possibly having a genetic or neurological cause. Much more likely to have psychological roots. Just my opinion, though.
Body Dysmorphia and eating disorders are related, but not identical conditions. I wouldn't suggest that you couldn't help, but I know that the cult can't. If you have made a study of the subject you have done more than almost all the cults 'Tekkies' have. They are pretty quick to offer help for things they know fuck all about. Lisa McPherson should still be alive today. Oh, and you're never an illegal Pc if you've got enough dough.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Body Dysmorphia and eating disorders are related, but not identical conditions. I wouldn't suggest that you couldn't help, but I know that the cult can't. If you have made a study of the subject you have done more than almost all the cults 'Tekkies' have. They are pretty quick to offer help for things they know fuck all about. Lisa McPherson should still be alive today. Oh, and you're never an illegal Pc if you've got enough dough.

I just checked up on that, because I thought you were referring to people who deliberately seek to remove "unwanted" limbs. I think there are numerous causes for this condition. For a huge part of my life, I hated the face that looked back in the mirror.

Once the CFS was diagnosed and all the confused thought processes attached were explained, this was blown out of the water. Yes, I am heavier and wider than I would like to be, but I'm not disgusted by it anymore (unless I wake up one morning to discover I can wear my stomach as a kilt). My RSI (Residual Self-Image), best understood as how you perceive your body in dreams is pretty much my existing body without the excess flubber.

And as far an "unwanted" something I would like removed: facial hair! Is there anyone out there who actually enjoys shaving?

crm1978

Patron with Honors
As someone who has suffered the severe life threatening pain of deep depression and been helped by medication and by a compassionate psychiatrist I take issue with the false and degrading attitudes against Dr's by CofS Like any field there are bad apples but I would say that the number of people helped by psychiatry is far higher then the CofS can claim

Gadfly

Crusader
As I see it, it is not a competition.

Both Scientology and psychiatry involve very flawed models of the mind and Man, and of the problems of mind and Man, and both involve very seriously flawed "solutions" to these various problems.

Any battle between these two, as some fundamental disagreement of basic "truth", is a contrived appearance.

To me, for the most part, each very much sucks in its own unique way.

I know that in this world where one is often forced to accept either one of only two options, for example, like in the US with the Democrats and Republicans, that it sometimes appears that there are no other choices. But THAT paradigm is a lie. There are many other options, but they are for the most part being blocked from your view (by both external forces and by your own agreement with the limited possibilities offered to you in this current world).

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
As I see it, it is not a competition.

Both Scientology and psychiatry involve very flawed models of the mind and Man, and of the problems of mind and Man, and both involve very seriously flawed "solutions" to these various problems.

Any battle between these two, as some fundamental disagreement of basic "truth", is a contrived appearance.

To me, for the most part, each very much sucks in its own unique way.

I know that in this world where one is often forced to accept either one of only two options, for example, like in the US with the Democrats and Republicans, that it sometimes appears that there are no other choices. But THAT paradigm is a lie. There are many other options, but they are for the most part being blocked from your view (by both external forces and by your own agreement with the limited possibilities offered to you in this current world).

I like this post because there never was a competition. Hubbard just pulled "psychiatry" out of his ass so that he could 'unite' scientologists against a common enemy.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
I see what you are saying but I still agree that phychiatry is more bad than good. I also think that modern medicine is quite corrupt. From what I have personally observed I see them going for the drugs way more that I think is needed without any testing or diet changes.

But it is too big a field to lump it all together for all patients and all doctors and all types of treatments in all situations in one category.

The problem with Scientology is that you are never allowed to determine for yourself what parts of psychology is bad or good.

But that type of anti- establishment mentality did attract me to Scientology. I am still very anti- establishment.

However after being in it I did start to let Hubbard tell me what to think and I took his view as senior to mine. Of course this is very dangerous and a slippery slope. These days I don’t take anyone as an “opinion leader”

When I consider a doctor or a treatment I think in terms of that specific doctor in that specific case upon a base thought of more natural is better, and drugs are a last resort but I don’t rule out anything categorically.

It is quite funny how Hubbard said not to generalize yet he generalized all the time.

I guess that is no surprise anymore.