Scientology's Creed, and the destruction of Common Decency

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
Scientology's Creed, and the destruction of common decency in Scientology

Warning; this is another lengthy screed from David C. Gibbons, ex-Scientologist - proceed at your own peril.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with Scientology's 'Creed', with added comments by me to reflect my observations and understanding of the reality of day-to-day life for the average Scientologist. My comments will be in italics. I pulled this creed off of a Scientology website a few hours ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights. Except for those people designated as enemies of Scientology.

That all men have inalienable rights to their own religious practices and their performance. This right, however, should in no way interfere with anything going on in a Scientology Mission, Organization, or other Scientology-influenced activity .

That all men have inalienable rights to their own lives. Once you become a Scientology staff member or committed public Scientolgist, you have no life, except that of doing what you are told by your seniors in the Scientology hierarchy.

That all men have inalienable rights to their sanity. This does not apply to interactions with Scientology Administrative, Ethics, or Executive personnel. These people can use any means of psychological, social, legal, or physical duress (Including physical detention without recourse or representation) available on un-cooperative or non-conforming Scientologists, ex-Scientologists, or any other person determined to be an enemy of or impediment to Scientology or its executives. Any resulting mental damage or insanity is not the responsibility of any Scientology personnel.

That all men have inalienable rights to their own defense. Unless you are the target of a Scientology Ethics action, Scientology Committee of Evidence, or any action of an Ethics officer, Master at Arms (Sea Org), or Scientology Executive.

That all men have inalienable rights to conceive, choose, assist or support their own organizations, churches and governments. Unless such support should in any way impede or inconvenience any Scientology activity.

That all men have inalienable rights to think freely, to talk freely, to write freely their own opinions and to counter or utter or write upon the opinions of others. Except for ANY communication about Scientology or its Executives, or L.Ron Hubbard. Further, Scientologists may not view or listen to any communications by others on these topics unless they have been approved by the agents of Scientology. Any attempts to communicate about Scientology outside of approved channels will result in immediate and severe repercussions, up to and including intimidation, threats, expulsion from Scientology, legal action, forced separation from friends or family, or covert or overt smear campaigns by agents of Scientology. This can include the disclosure of confidential materials culled from supposedly private and confidential spiritual counseling records gathered and held by Scientology.

That all men have inalienable rights to the creation of their own kind. This does not apply to Sea Org members.

That the souls of men have the rights of men. No comment.

That the study of the Mind and the healing of mentally caused ills should not be alienated from religion or condoned in nonreligious fields. In practice, only Scientology may be used to address any mental or spiritual difficulty, and any attempts to use any other means or methods will be punished. Any and all failures of Scientology mental healing methods are the fault of the persons receiving or applying such methods.

And that no agency less than God has the power to suspend or set aside these rights, overtly or covertly. Scientology culture and practice also grants this power to Registrars, Ethics Officers, MAA's, and Scientology Executives at all levels, and Sea Org Missionaires.

AND WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE

That Man is basically good. Unless a person disagrees with Scientology, its agents, policies, actions, ethics system, leaders, technology, culture, or executives.

That he is seeking to Survive. Any person impeding Scientology, its agents or executives in any serious way is designated as a "suppressive person", and is considered anti-survival. Such persons are accorded none of the rights enumerated in this creed.

That his survival depends upon himself and upon his fellows and his attainment of brotherhood with the Universe. His survival in Scientology depends on his willingness to sacrifice himself, his family, his own groups and interests to the policies, practices, commands and whims of L. Ron Hubbard, and the agents, executives, and current leadership of Scientology.

AND WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE THAT THE LAWS OF GOD FORBID MAN

To destroy his own kind. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy the sanity of another. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy or enslave another’s soul. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy or reduce the survival of one’s companions or one’s group. Unless some fellow Scientologist has time, money, or energy available, including property, money, or credit, that can be taken and used by Scientology, its agents, or executives.

That the spirit can be saved. No comment.

And that the spirit alone may save or heal the body. However, the only means of such salvation or healing is through and under the control of Scientology, and that salvation will be denied to any person who disagrees with, opposes, or impedes Scientology, its agents, or its executives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above comments I have attached to Scientology's Creed are based on my own observations made during my 33+ years involvement with Scientology, combined with the information shared by many other ex-Scientologists.

Towards the end of my time as a Scientologist, I was trying to offer the 'Sunday Service'. As a regular part of the service, I would read this Creed. The massive disconnect between the fine words of the Creed, and the reality of day-to-day life as a Scientologist was one of the things that drove me to leave Scientology, no matter the cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to 'Common Decency'

Merriam Webster online says: de·cen·cy noun \ˈdē-s[SUP]ə[/SUP]n-sē\
: polite, moral, and honest behavior and attitudes that show respect for other people

Common decency would then be the generally accepted polite, moral and honest behaviors and attitudes found in the overall society.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As with many other cults through history, Scientology and those who control it attempt to create a hermetic world where it can re-define behavior and attitudes to suit itself and its needs.

In the case of Scientology, protecting its leader(s), gathering money, and subjugating its members are all served by the deviations from the creed that I have noted above.
The desired behaviors and attitudes in Scientology (its culture) are buttressed by the Code of the Scientologist (q.v.), and the Scientology Ethics system.

In the closed world of Scientology, respect is always due to the executive class, and those they empower. It may be provisionally be granted to those that are deemed useful to Scientology ( typically celebrities or people who have lots of available money) or who unquestioningly conform and comply with the wishes of those in power.
Ordinary politeness, morality, and honesty are set aside in the world of Scientology. They are replaced with compliance, force, Scientology Ethics, and situational lying.

Again, other cults do the same thing. Other cults have glowing texts laying out their wonderful vision for humanity. Other cults also abuse those trapped inside their hermetic worlds in manifold ways that violate those texts.

In cults, abuse and the perversion of common decency is used to serve the cult and its leaders. Most often, it is 'for your own good', for the good of the cult, or 'for the good of mankind'.

----------------------------------------------------

In the end, what is remarkable to me is the efficacy of Scientology's destruction of common decency. I have come to believe that efficacy is not however due to any special power or quality inherent in Scientology. Rather, it is due to L. Ron Hubbard's and Scientology's unashamed, unremitting, and rapacious exploitation of common human weaknesses.

Human beings have strong needs for acceptance, belonging, purpose, and caring. Scientology, like many other cults, offers these things generously to newcomers. Then the threat of removal of these things is used to re-shape the newcomer into the desired thought patterns and behaviors. Scientology simply does these things well. I sarcastically tip my hat to Mr. Hubbard for doing a good job of starting such an efficient cult.

I damn Mr Hubbard and his inheritors for ruining the lives of so many through the cult of Scientology.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hubbard's "Responsibility of Leaders" policy letter also is illuminating, for its absence of any mention of responsibility for harm done by the leader, or done by his agents, organization, or followers. The only morality is that of unquestioning support of the leader and his orders. For, of course, the leader and his agents only do right things,
things for the good of humanity.

When the time comes for the fall of Scientology, how will the people who controlled Scientology, or acted in its name justify their actions to the broader society? How will they explain their violations of common decency, let alone lawbreaking? I don't know, even for myself. Do you, dear reader?

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
That all men have inalienable rights to their own religious practices and their performance. This right, however, should in no way interfere with anything going on in a Scientology Mission, Organization, or other Scientology-influenced activity .

Also one has no right to be a scientologist or practice scientology
outside the church. If one is found to be doing so the church will
exercise its religious freedom to protest and picket and spy on you
until you cease.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I haven't read the creed for a long time. How could a real religion with a creed like that send in the squirrel busters and say it was done on religious grounds?

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights. No comment.

That isn't true. It isn't true they believe that. At all. LRH certainly didn't. You don't create a fake religion enslaving thousand of people with a fake promise of supernatural powers if you believe that. This Creed is PR. And as all PR materials of the cult it has little to do with reality. That line exist to create agreement, as all other lines of the Creed, in the designed audience, and the designed audience are non-scientologists. Scientologists don't study the Creed and if they do they do it with the purpose of using it to establish a religious apparence with non-scientologists. The Creed is there to make Scn appear as a religion. Nobody in Scn believes it. Nobody in Scn apply it and of course nobody enforces it. Quite the contrary. Certainly nobody has a right to disagree with LRH nor disparage his good name.

The real creed of a Scientologist is a composite of all the lies he has been told by LRH and other LRH believers: There will be oblivion for you and those you love if you don't do as LRH wrote or said. Forget your own goals/games/life, they are not important and are an impediment. Only Scientology is important. More important than following the Law. More important than uor kids or our own life. For only through Scientology we can get back our supernatural powers and the godlike knowledge of the universe. For only through Scientology we can save all beings of the universe. Fuck the Law, the family, the job, in Scientology we are playing the only game where everyone wins. Everyone. Even those we must now covertly/overtly destroy or the parents and children we must now disconnect from will benefit from Scientology in the end, in another life.

That's what scientologists believe. It's a different kind of promised "paradise" to make scientologists do the harmful and unconscionable things they are known today for (giving all money to the cult/lying/disconnect from family/slave labor/deceit).

No much different from Islamic martyrs who kill as much people they can blowing up themselves in crowded places in order to get to their promised paradise: all land full of beauty, food, virgin girls, reunite with friends and where all wishes will come true.

Veda

Sponsor

Warning; this is another lengthy screed from David C. Gibbons, ex-Scientologist - proceed at your own peril.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with Scientology's 'Creed', with added comments by me to reflect my observations and understanding of the reality of day-to-day life for the average Scientologist. My comments will be in italics. I pulled this creed off of a Scientology website a few hours ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights. No comment.

That all men have inalienable rights to their own lives. Once you become a Scientology staff member or committed public Scientolgist, you have no life, except that of doing what you are told by your seniors in the Scientology hierarchy.

That all men have inalienable rights to their sanity. This does not apply to interactions with Scientology Administrative, Ethics, or Executive personnel. These people can use any means of psychological, social, legal, or physical duress (Including physical detention without recourse or representation) available on un-cooperative or non-conforming Scientologists, ex-Scientologists, or any other person determined to be an enemy of or impediment to Scientology or its executives. Any resulting mental damage or insanity is not the responsibility of any Scientology personnel.

That all men have inalienable rights to their own defense. Unless you are the target of a Scientology Ethics action, Scientology Committee of Evidence, or any action of an Ethics officer, Master at Arms (Sea Org), or Scientology Executive.

That all men have inalienable rights to conceive, choose, assist or support their own organizations, churches and governments. Unless such support should in any way impede or inconvenience any Scientology activity.

That all men have inalienable rights to think freely, to talk freely, to write freely their own opinions and to counter or utter or write upon the opinions of others. Except for ANY communication about Scientology or its Executives, or L.Ron Hubbard. Further, Scientologists may not view or listen to any communications by others on these topics unless they have been approved by the agents of Scientology. Any attempts to communicate about Scientology outside of approved channels will result in immediate and severe repercussions, up to and including intimidation, threats, expulsion from Scientology, legal action, forced separation from friends or family, or covert or overt smear campaigns by agents of Scientology. This can include the disclosure of confidential materials culled from supposedly private and confidential spiritual counseling records gathered and held by Scientology.

That all men have inalienable rights to the creation of their own kind. This does not apply to Sea Org members.

That the souls of men have the rights of men. No comment.

That the study of the Mind and the healing of mentally caused ills should not be alienated from religion or condoned in nonreligious fields. In practice, only Scientology may be used to address any mental or spiritual difficulty, and any attempts to use any other means or methods will be punished. Any and all failures of Scientology mental healing methods are the fault of the persons receiving or applying such methods.

And that no agency less than God has the power to suspend or set aside these rights, overtly or covertly. Scientology culture and practice also grants this power to Registrars, Ethics Officers, MAA's, and Scientology Executives at all levels, and Sea Org Missionaires.

That Man is basically good. Unless a person disagrees with Scientology, its agents, policies, actions, ethics system, leaders, technology, culture, or executives.

That he is seeking to Survive. Any person impeding Scientology, its agents or executives in any serious way is designated as a "suppressive person", and is considered anti-survival. Such persons are accorded none of the rights enumerated in this creed.

That his survival depends upon himself and upon his fellows and his attainment of brotherhood with the Universe. His survival in Scientology depends on his willingness to sacrifice himself, his family, his own groups and interests to the policies, practices, commands and whims of L. Ron Hubbard, and the agents, executives, and current leadership of Scientology.

AND WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE THAT THE LAWS OF GOD FORBID MAN

To destroy his own kind. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy the sanity of another. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy or enslave another’s soul. Unless Scientology, its agents, or any Scientology executive has marked a person as an enemy of Scientology.

To destroy or reduce the survival of one’s companions or one’s group. Unless some fellow Scientologist has time, money, or energy available, including property, money, or credit, that can be taken and used by Scientology, its agents, or executives.

That the spirit can be saved. No comment.

And that the spirit alone may save or heal the body. However, the only means of such salvation or healing is through and under the control of Scientology, and that salvation will be denied to any person who disagrees with, opposes, or impedes Scientology, its agents, or its executives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above comments I have attached to Scientology's Creed are based on my own observations made during my 33+ years involvement with Scientology, combined with the information shared by many other ex-Scientologists.

Towards the end of my time as a Scientologist, I was trying to offer the 'Sunday Service'. As a regular part of the service, I would read this Creed. The massive disconnect between the fine words of the Creed, and the reality of day-to-day life as a Scientologist was one of the things that drove me to leave Scientology, no matter the cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to 'Common Decency'

Merriam Webster online says: de·cen·cy noun \ˈdē-s[SUP]ə[/SUP]n-sē\
: polite, moral, and honest behavior and attitudes that show respect for other people

Common decency would then be the generally accepted polite, moral and honest behaviors and attitudes found in the overall society.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As with many other cults through history, Scientology and those who control it attempt to create a hermetic world where it can re-define behavior and attitudes to suit itself and its needs.

In the case of Scientology, protecting its leader(s), gathering money, and subjugating its members are all served by the deviations from the creed that I have noted above.
The desired behaviors and attitudes in Scientology (its culture) are buttressed by the Code of the Scientologist (q.v.), and the Scientology Ethics system.

In the closed world of Scientology, respect is always due to the executive class, and those they empower. It may be provisionally be granted to those that are deemed useful to Scientology ( typically celebrities or people who have lots of available money) or who unquestioningly conform and comply with the wishes of those in power.
Ordinary politeness, morality, and honesty are set aside in the world of Scientology. They are replaced with compliance, force, Scientology Ethics, and situational lying.

Again, other cults do the same thing. Other cults have glowing texts laying out their wonderful vision for humanity. Other cults also abuse those trapped inside their hermetic worlds in manifold ways that violate those texts.

In cults, abuse and the perversion of common decency is re-defined to serve the cult and its leaders. Most often, it is 'for your own good', for the good of the cult, or 'for the good of mankind'.

----------------------------------------------------

In the end, what is remarkable to me is the efficacy of Scientology's destruction of common decency. I have come to believe that efficacy is not however due to any special power or quality inherent in Scientology. Rather, it is due to L. Ron Hubbard's and Scientology's unashamed, unremitting, and rapacious exploitation of common human weaknesses.

Human beings have strong needs for acceptance, belonging, purpose, and caring. Scientology, like many other cults, offers these things generously to newcomers. Then the threat of removal of these things is used to re-shape the newcomer into the desired thought patterns and behaviors. Scientology simply does these things well. I sarcastically tip my hat to Mr. Hubbard for doing a good job of starting such an efficient cult.

I damn Mr Hubbard and his inheritors for ruining the lives of so many through the cult of Scientology.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hubbard's "Responsibility of Leaders" policy letter also is illuminating, for its absence of any mention of responsibility for harm done by the leader, or done by his agents, organization, or followers. The only morality is that of unquestioning support of the leader and his orders. For, of course, the leader and his agents only do right things,
things for the good of humanity.

When the time comes for the fall of Scientology, how will the people who controlled Scientology, or acted in its name justify their actions to the broader society? How will they explain their violations of common decency, let alone lawbreaking? I don't know, even for myself. Do you, dear reader?

:goodposting:

[video=youtube;OhKcCCHGeZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhKcCCHGeZc#t=19[/video]

As with much in Scientology, the 'Creed of the Church of Scientology' comes with footnotes or fine print.

As one examines Scientology doctrine, more deeply than the thickness of its for-display wall-decoration "Creed," one sees that anti-Scientologists (SPs) do not have rights b) reactive minds don't have rights, and c) those below 2.0 on the Tone Scale don't have rights.

The 'Creed' is, and has always been, a companion gimmick to the religion angle, and it has as much credibility as does the religion angle. Both appeared around the same time, and if one falls for the nice sounding "Creed," one falls for the religion angle. It's the religion angle and religious cloaking that allow Scientology to get away with so much.

The 'Creed' is PR; it is not policy of any kind, not even PR strata (for display purposes) 'policy' such as the faux 1968 "cancellation of Fair Game."

"PR is overt. Intelligence is covert." PR Series 7.

Scientology functions, essentially, as a private Intelligence gathering operation, using "counseling" as a "suitable guise" to lure the unsuspecting into giving it the most intimate and sensitive details about their minds and lives.

It uses mental healing to assert and maintain dominion over thoughts and loyalties. This dominion in place, it then uses/abuses its victims in various ways, including as cheap/slave labor.

When anyone observes this, and expresses disapproval, the same victims are taught to parrot the words, "Why are you attacking MY RELIGION?!" and "the SCIENTOLOGY RELIGION." The word, "BIGOTRY" may be used, and the "CREED OF THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY," per Scientology's founder's instructions, will likely be displayed.

This dominion is preceded by deception. The "Creed," and the other seemingly benign parts of Scientology, are components in that deception.

Concurrent with the "Creed" is the 1955 'Manual on Dissemination of Material', yet the 'Manual' contains instructions that those diverging from Scientology and establishing other groups should be "Ruined utterly," and that "debate engaged upon [that]demeaned and degraded Scientology by permitting it to be talked about contemptuously before a group... should never be permitted."

An important development in the 'Manual on Dissemination' was instruction form Hubbard regarding what to say to different "public." One thing was going to be said to outsiders, and another to new members, and another to those solidly "in."

"...the communication line [to "wogs" and "raw meat"] is that Scientologists do not pose any threat, that Scientologists are good citizens, and that they can be trusted with problems of a private and confidential nature... Another frame of mind that we would like to see the public have and register are that people attacking Scientologists have something wrong with them... As a subdivision of this, the actual substance of communication about what Scientology actually is... from the general public to the general public [what the "wogs" and "raw meat" should say to each other about Scientology] should be that Scientology says that good health and immortality are attainable. That it is compounded out of all Man knows about Man..."

So sneaky! :ohmy:

Last edited:

gbuck

oxymoron

I guess those with the cash will take to the hills. Those without Common Decency won't need to justify their actions.
The rest, the majority, are people like most here on EXMB, who at one time or another were sincere believers.
EXMB members know that justification doesn't really cut it. How can you justify being sucked into cult thought? and then carrying out actions based on that cult? It happened. Hopefully they will learn more
by getting out of the trap than they ever learnt by getting into it. I know that I did.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
A brief tour from the outer to the inner:

In 1954, Hubbard activated his "religion angle," and it was important that Scientology be identified with respectable religions.

Hubbard spoke, publicly, respectfully, of Buddhism, and even of Taoism, and also of the Vedas.

He wanted to show that Scientology followed in the long tradition of these subjects, and even briefly spoke positively of Christianity. The 1954 'Creation of Human Ability' book opens with a quote from St. Luke of the Bible.

A year later, Hubbard wrote The 'Hymn of Asia', where he depicted himself as the re-incarnated Buddha.

2ns9wte.jpg

advance0026000.jpg

I can be addressed
But in our temples best
Address me and you address
Lord Buddha.
Address Lord Buddha
And you then address
Metteyya.

521253047.0.m.jpg

L. Ron Hubbard, from 'Hymn of Asia'

And a little further in...

Prior to the activation of the "religion angle," Hubbard had spoken to group of nascent Scientologists and was being "loose-lipped," probably due to his use of amphetamines and/or cocaine:

Our whole activity tends to make an individual completely independent of any limitation... Old Aleister Crowley had some interesting things to say about this. He wrote 'The Book of the Law'.

m0zYveK3SD3VIz6okQN1-uA.jpg

All editions of 'The Book of the Law' are blood red,
which is, oddly, also the color of the 'Tech Volumes'.​

From Crowley's 'Magick in Theory and Practice':

The whole and sole object of all true Magickal training is to become free from every kind of limitation.

Crowley's Magick was an occult system based on axioms, and claimed to be scientific. It was not a religion.

More from the 'PDC':

The old magical cults of the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th centuries in the Middle East were fascinating. The only modern work that has anything to do with them is a trifle wild in spots, but a fascinating work by itself, and that's the work of Aleister Crowley... He signs himself 'the Beast', mark of the Beast 666...

aleister_crowley2.jpg

When Hubbard promised Scientologists freedom from all limitation, his secret 'Affirmations' were only a few years old:

"Men are my slaves," Hubbard had written, in his 'Affirmations," while also going on about his hypnotic powers over others.

"The slaves shall serve," Crowley had written, in his "Book of the Law'.

Now, we are deeply in...

From Hubbard's 1946 (to himself) 'Affirmations':

Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write...

Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler.

l_ron_hubbard_dianetics.jpg

An deeper still...

From Hubbard's 'Excalibur' letter of 1938:

Living is a pretty grim joke, but a joke just the same. The entire function of man is to survive. Not for 'what' [any ideal] but just to survive... I turned the thing up [the
"dynamic principle of existence: Survive!"]
, so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note, or painted canvas or hard granite [or stainless steel&titanium, or convincing people that "LRH = Survival"]. Foolishly perhaps, but determined none the less, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed. That goal is the real goal [hidden agenda] as far as I am concerned. Things which stand too consistently in my way make me nervous.

It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt...

Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the dusty desk, tell us that Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and Alexander were madmen. I know they're maligning some very intelligent gentlemen...

I can make Napoleon look like a punk...

IMO, the core of Scientology is very dark, not religious in any sense, and is entirely about ego, money, and power.

gbuck

oxymoron
Veda:
IMO, the core of Scientology is very dark, not religious in any sense, and is entirely about ego, money, and power.

The basis of the subject is
conflict and power.
Life engaged in the conquest of matter. In Survive! mode? :duh:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Outstanding OP and thread.

And now for the unpublished, highly confidential part of the Creed of Scientology:

WE OF THE CHURCH BELIEVE

That all ethical men of whatever race, color or creed were created with the unalienable right to trick, sue, lie to or destroy unethical men, including the right to lie about all the other precepts of this creed.

I think the Church does believe that "That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights."

That is why they had to develop a technology to willingly trick them out of their money and their family and even their souls.

The Anabaptist Jacques