What's new

SCIENTOLOGY'S DISGRACE: AN OPEN LETTER TO TOM CRUISE

cyan

Patron
What about a Kickstarter.com campaign to fund the printing of Tony's open letter in the Wall Street Journal?

I read somewhere it costs about $164,000 for a full page ad in the WSJ. While the LA Times, Variety and Reporter would all be good choices due to it being Tom's backyard and in his industry (hitting him where it hurts), the WSJ has a much, much larger readership. And where the trades might be unwilling to run an ad of this nature due to political concerns, it would be almost impossible for them NOT to run an article after the letter appears in the WSJ. You only need one big ad buy in a big market to get all the others to run a story. The multiplier effect could be unbelievable.

The Kickstarter campaign itself would need to be worded carefully to attract funding from people who are not necessarily familiar with the atrocities as we know them. Actually, in this regard, the letter itself is probably the best model since it doesn't say "Hey, Tom, we're gunning for you," it says "If you think Scn is so good for everyone, what do you have to say about its abuses?"

Maybe we even get Tony to reword it so that it's an open letter to all the famous scientologists he mentions at the end.

Ultimately, the very celebrity that Scn has used to attract (and decimate) others, could be used to shame it into answering for its atrocities.

I am willing to investigate costs, Kickstarter requirements and viability if others are interested.

cyan

Patron
Wow, may have to go a different route. Kickstarter does not allow "cause" funding or awareness campaigns.

Still, a website with a paypal account and some trusted personality (perhaps, as someone suggested, Tony himself) involved might be all we need.

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wouldn't it be easier - not to mention faster and cheaper - to just write to various reporters/editors with quotes from the letter and a link to VV? Someone is bound to pick it up just for the celeb factor.

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors
(snipped)

And BEYOND that, since they are such good close personal friends, and have double dated enough with DM's communicator (or whatever she is) Laurisse, Tom must know about the nature of that relationship, and he must also know SOMETHING about the whereabouts and well-being of David Miscavige's disappeared wife, Shelly Miscavige, who has been missing for YEARS now. He just could have an Investigator come knocking on his door about this, too.

Tom Cruise might not know or care about Shelly, but John Travolta just might. They did double at least once, many years ago in Clearwater. I always thought that JT's wife had a resemblance to Shelly, especially when they were both young.

cyan

Patron
Wouldn't it be easier - not to mention faster and cheaper - to just write to various reporters/editors with quotes from the letter and a link to VV? Someone is bound to pick it up just for the celeb factor.

Cheaper, yes. Not sure about easier or faster, though. It seems more likely that someone who cares but is pretty busy would donate a few dollars rather than write a letter to their paper (substitute "Representative" for "paper" and you'll see what I mean). Am I being too cynical?

As for faster, getting millions of impressions from a one-day ad buy in one of the most widely read dailies in the country seems faster than building up to that in a process that might result in some stories happening several weeks after others, thereby diluting the effort.

Are you thinking it would take a lot of time to raise the funds? Probably right. I don't know. But there do seem to be a lot of motivated people around here.

Buying the ad is a bold, aggressive approach which just feels to me like what this moment in history needs.

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron
Cheaper, yes. Not sure about easier or faster, though. It seems more likely that someone who cares but is pretty busy would donate a few dollars rather than write a letter to their paper (substitute "Representative" for "paper" and you'll see what I mean). Am I being too cynical?

As for faster, getting millions of impressions from a one-day ad buy in one of the most widely read dailies in the country seems faster than building up to that in a process that might result in some stories happening several weeks after others, thereby diluting the effort.

Are you thinking it would take a lot of time to raise the funds? Probably right. I don't know. But there do seem to be a lot of motivated people around here.

Buying the ad is a bold, aggressive approach which just feels to me like what this moment in history needs.

Hey, have at it then! :thumbsup: It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings. :eyeroll: Was just offering an alternative.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Whew! Just caught up with this. I'm thinking of giving up sleeping so I can keep up.

Good idea to get paid ad into huge papers. Or just get them to run a story.

It will be interesting to see what the news-wires produce in the next 24 hrs. They do so like stuff about their supposed celebrities.

Excellent move by Tony. :yes:

Your move Tom...

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid

Purple Rain

Crusader
Someone posting under the name of Mat Pesch commented:

If true, Cruise will never reply.

Well, Suri can sure be proud of her old man.... Sickening stuff. Even if some of that is not true or exaggerated - the things that are already known are bad enough. Her father is basically an old time slave driver, enjoying the benefits of his slaveholding friend Miscavige, including sexual privilege if this can be believed.

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors
Tom Cruise might not know or care about Shelly, but John Travolta just might. They did double at least once, many years ago in Clearwater. I always thought that JT's wife had a resemblance to Shelly, especially when they were both young.

I meant to say they double dated. (omitted word.)

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
No doubt she is under gag agreements about: 1) Tom Cruise; 2) Scientology.

She probably wasn't subject to that much abuse, the abuse was probably hidden from her as a VIP celeb at CCLA, and therefore might not have anywhere near the amount of damaging info that Debbie Cook brought forward. BTW, what Debbie Cook brought forward was already corroborated here on ESMB from other sources who witnessed her treatment at the int base "hole." Back to Nicole Kidman ... in addition to probably not having anywhere near as much to tell as Debbie Cook, she also has a great deal more to loose financially than Debbie Cook as well.

Pete

When Tom appears on any media outlet, like TV, I am VERY sure that he has the interviewer read and sign a statement agreeing to NOT bring up certain forbidden topics.

I too hope that he says something - because he will probably shove his foot so far down his throat that he will tickle his butthole. :happydance:

yes. he probably would and so he probably won't

i don't mean to inflict the sting of friction on anyone, to have my words grasp an arm and twist in the fire of an indian wrist burn but i do like to write against the grain. like it or not the article is a door that swings both ways. it accounts a woman whose career displays a level of ability performance dedication and persistence not found in slaves. nor can it be induced with brainwashing, hypnosis, pavlovian behavioural engineering coercion or intimidation nor even hope of reward. it is the exclusive province of free men and women acting on their own volition and by willing and knowing agreement. in fact even the hole is not indefensible. i am not a CoS apologist. in fact i had substantial reservations about being a CoS apologist even when i was signatory to a billion year contract working 80-100 hrs a week at fcdc. but if i were i'd say "the sea org is a paramilitary formation in some ways comparable to the jesuits and both military and religious discipline are well recognized to involve at times harsh and austere discipline and conditions. our church is global in it's intentions and it's activities and people with the comforts of western civilization should respect that for at least a third of earth's population whose betterment is among our interests and concerns what ms cook has called "three bowls of barely edible slop a day" would be an improvement in their basic nutrition"

but for my part i look at the graphic evidence of the two photographs of mike rinder and take exception to the hole. moreover a concise expression of the exception i take to the whole might be that although in theory and ideal it should not be so it is evident and observable CoS study and practice has not, does not, will not and can not spawn or attract a handel or a louis armstrong and in fact generates an emotional sterility that makes it highly unlikely if not impossible for satchmo to communicate to a fervent adherent the heart of his "do you know what it means to miss new orleans" or a transcendent conductor to communicate the soul of "Messiah"

putting my pen back on cruise control...

the anonymous protests at orgs have been conducted in good order and with due respect and without disrupting training or auditing. watching them i was glad they did not expand their scope to picketing tom cruise flicks. inasmuch as they deferred to a justifiable protest against a humanitarian award and in light of this challenge from the village voice an escalation to a protest at the next opening of a tom cruise flick would not be thought egregious

Last edited:

marjan

Patron with Honors
My comment to Tony Ortega on Facebook:
Hello Mr. Ortega, thank you for Open Letter to Tom Cruise. My experience with Scientology nearly destroyed my sanity, life and career, but it cannot compare with the stories of Amy Scobee, Debbie Cook or so many others. Having lived and worked and travelled for years with Sea Org members raising funds for SCN, no one understands the pressure that they endure better than I do. When I wrote my book, I made the decision only to write about my own first-hand experience. I could speak with authority about that. You, as a journalist, have been telling EVERYONE's story to the world. You have done a service to the general public by forcing them to examine the choice of being involved with a group like Scientology. Eventually, I trust that criminal behaviour, will be tried in a court of law, and that those responsible will be held accountable for their misdeeds. Mark Janicello

yes. he probably would and so he probably won't

i don't mean to inflict the sting of friction on anyone, to have my words grasp an arm and twist in the fire of an indian wrist burn but i do like to write against the grain. like it or not the article is a door that swings both ways. it accounts a woman whose career displays a level of ability performance dedication and persistence not found in slaves. nor can it be induced with brainwashing, hypnosis, pavlovian behavioural engineering coercion or intimidation nor even hope of reward. it is the exclusive province of free men and women acting on their own volition and by willing and knowing agreement. in fact even the hole is not indefensible. i am not a CoS apologist. in fact i had substantial reservations about being a CoS apologist even when i was signatory to a billion year contract working 80-100 hrs a week at fcdc. but if i were i'd say "the sea org is a paramilitary formation in some ways comparable to the jesuits and both military and religious discipline are well recognized to involve at times harsh and austere discipline and conditions. our church is global in it's intentions and it's activities and people with the comforts of western civilization should respect that for at least a third of earth's population whose betterment is among our interests and concerns what ms cook has called "three bowls of barely edible slop a day" would be an improvement in their basic nutrition"

but for my part i look at the graphic evidence of the two photographs of mike rinder and take exception to the hole. moreover a concise expression of the exception i take to the whole might be that although in theory and ideal it should not be so it is evident and observable CoS study and practice has not, does not, will not and can not spawn or attract a handel or a louis armstrong and in fact generates an emotional sterility that makes it highly unlikely if not impossible for satchmo to communicate to a fervent adherent the heart of his "do you know what it means to miss new orleans" or a transcendent conductor to communicate the soul of "Messiah"

putting my pen back on cruise control...

the anonymous protests at orgs have been conducted in good order and with due respect and without disrupting training or auditing. watching them i was glad they did not expand their scope to picketing tom cruise flicks. inasmuch as they deferred to a justifiable protest against a humanitarian award and in light of this challenge from the village voice an escalation to a protest at the next opening of a tom cruise flick would not be thought egregious

p.s.

sugarplums

if you have never twisted one up and listened to a recording of louis armstrong and his dixie allstars performing "do you know what it means to miss new orleans"

twist one up and listen to a recording of louis armstrong and his dixie allstars performing "do you know what it means to miss new orleans"

The_Fixer

Class Clown
She probably wasn't subject to that much abuse, the abuse was probably hidden from her as a VIP celeb at CCLA, and therefore might not have anywhere near the amount of damaging info that Debbie Cook brought forward. BTW, what Debbie Cook brought forward was already corroborated here on ESMB from other sources who witnessed her treatment at the int base "hole." Back to Nicole Kidman ... in addition to probably not having anywhere near as much to tell as Debbie Cook, she also has a great deal more to loose financially than Debbie Cook as well.

Pete

I'm inclined to agree with you there Pete. I think that no celebrity in this religion would be exposed to any abuse over and above that in the celebrity world. Many celebrities are not very nice to serving underlings in the wog world either.

Given that Nicole was not overly accepting of the church during her marriage to TC, the PR machine would have been operating full swing to win her over. There was much for the church to gain just from the PR value alone. So all the insidious stuff would have been hidden from her view. I would believe it would be the same for TC as well.

In interviews of Nicole on TV over the years, I think that she still holds some love for him and would not do anything to harm him or his career deliberately. I also feel she is a person who has a deep sense of honour.

Not to mention that any negative/damaging stuff from her would result in her being disconnected from the children from that marriage.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Someone posting under the name of Mat Pesch commented:

If true, Cruise will never reply.

mat pesch
Tom Cruise isn't going to call you because he has a little problem himself. He isn't Miscavige's BFF for no reason. He is Miscavige's "mini me". Here a just a few things that Tom would rather not talk about:

1. His use of Sea Org slave labor for his own household staff.

2. His use of Sea Org slave labor to greatly upgrade his home, airplane hanger, motorcycle,car, etc.

3. His use of Sea Org slave labor to help him find a wife. A whole con was run on women who thought they were trying out for a part in Toms next movie. I know of at least one case where the woman was used for Toms sexual pleasure. The wife of Tommy Davis actually coaxed the woman on how to excite and please Tom. When it didn't work out Tommy Davis was sent to give her the bad news. When things didn't go smoothly Tom's BFF was there to assist. He created a "Public RPF" at the Fort Harrison Hotel where this beautiful, angel of a woman was made to scrub out toilets with a tooth brush. When she was fully broken she was made to sign the same gag orders that Debbie Cook signed.

4. Oh ya, Tom Cruise also gets off on physically assaulting Sea Org members. Ask Tommy Davis, if he should ever escape from Miscavige's desert trailer of horrors.

I could go on with more reasons why Tom Cruise will never speak out against the inhuman acts of his BFF - David Miscavige, but you get the idea.

If that's really true, you will never get TC to admit to anything if he's an accessory to the crimes.

That is terrible stuff. I have also heard that he will sack any staff who look him in the eyes. Can't be too comfortable with the TR's I guess.