Scientology's Final Say On 'Going Clear'

BlackRob

Gold Meritorious Patron
THR initially reached out to the Church to request a viewing of the documentary with top Church officials, but Church spokeswoman Karin Pouw declined this offer. Instead, she asked for a list of questions about the film, which she would "be happy" to answer. THR sent the Church a list of twenty questions regarding specific allegations in Gibney's work, such as the claim that L. Ron Hubbard once said starting a religion is the easiest way to make money.

Pouw's letter is the Church's blanket response to each of the film's claims, which include the following: Hubbard was involved in the occult; Hubbard once kidnapped his own daughter; Hubbard founded Scientology as a way to bolster his declining book sales; Scientology's secretive Sea Org was founded by Hubbard as a ploy to remain beyond the reach of the IRS, which was investigating him for tax evasion; Hubbard wrote a letter in 1947 to the Veterans Administration (now the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) in the wake of his World War II service, seeking out psychiatric help; the Church pays its members between $.06-$.40 an hour for labor services; the Church buys up expensive real estate property as part of efforts to maintain its tax exempt status, which requires a large portion of its earnings to be spent for the benefit its congregation; the Church blackmailed John Travolta with private information to keep him from leaving the Church; the Church enacts a draconian "Disconnection" policy, which mandates that Church members completely cut off anyone who leaves Scientology, including friends and family.

Pouw's response letter wholly dismisses the questions that THR posed to the Church: "The false allegations in Gibney's film are reflected in each of the questions you ask," Pouw writes. "Those questions bear no relationship to L. Ron Hubbard or to the Scientology religion. Rather than provide a response to each of these questions, which are part of Gibney's propaganda, I am going to take up the sources of these allegations so you understand their motivations to spread hatred, religious bigotry and lies. We are not trying to discredit these people. It is simply that Mr. Gibney is miscrediting them."

LOL! Come on, they didn't even answer the questions, but go right to attacking the people in the movie.
They will never learn, right?

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scientology-final-say-going-clear-781242

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
rethinking my response to this as I digest it...

I guess thanks?!

this is their recipe for a pr meltdown, abuse your members inside your church, then abuse them in public even more if they whistleblow, thanks for dropping some napalm on the campfire

thank you for proving over and over that nobody can leave this religion and talk about why it wasn't for them without being attacked and discredited, thanks for showing the world how irresponsible you are, your former ot8's, your former international executives, all scumbags that slipped by your perfect system for 30 years somehow and suddenly changed for no reason...

toddler talk, I never did anything wrong, it's them not me, someone else did it so it's ok that i did, i'm not bad you're bad, i know you are but what am i

no public apology, no housecleaning, not even an excuse

Last edited:

Teanntás

Silver Meritorious Patron
THR initially reached out to the Church to request a viewing of the documentary with top Church officials, but Church spokeswoman Karin Pouw declined this offer. Instead, she asked for a list of questions about the film, which she would "be happy" to answer. THR sent the Church a list of twenty questions regarding specific allegations in Gibney's work, such as the claim that L. Ron Hubbard once said starting a religion is the easiest way to make money.

Pouw's letter is the Church's blanket response to each of the film's claims, which include the following: Hubbard was involved in the occult; Hubbard once kidnapped his own daughter; Hubbard founded Scientology as a way to bolster his declining book sales; Scientology's secretive Sea Org was founded by Hubbard as a ploy to remain beyond the reach of the IRS, which was investigating him for tax evasion; Hubbard wrote a letter in 1947 to the Veterans Administration (now the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) in the wake of his World War II service, seeking out psychiatric help; the Church pays its members between $.06-$.40 an hour for labor services; the Church buys up expensive real estate property as part of efforts to maintain its tax exempt status, which requires a large portion of its earnings to be spent for the benefit its congregation; the Church blackmailed John Travolta with private information to keep him from leaving the Church; the Church enacts a draconian "Disconnection" policy, which mandates that Church members completely cut off anyone who leaves Scientology, including friends and family.

Pouw's response letter wholly dismisses the questions that THR posed to the Church: "The false allegations in Gibney's film are reflected in each of the questions you ask," Pouw writes. "Those questions bear no relationship to L. Ron Hubbard or to the Scientology religion. Rather than provide a response to each of these questions, which are part of Gibney's propaganda, I am going to take up the sources of these allegations so you understand their motivations to spread hatred, religious bigotry and lies. We are not trying to discredit these people. It is simply that Mr. Gibney is miscrediting them."

LOL! Come on, they didn't even answer the questions, but go right to attacking the people in the movie.
They will never learn, right?

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scientology-final-say-going-clear-781242

"I am going to take up the sources of these allegations so you understand their motivations " In other words we'll handle with the logical fallacy of 'argumentum ad hominem'