What's new

Scientology's TAX EXEMPTION Should Be RESCINDED

Veda

Sponsor
The USA tax exemption has ramifications far beyond simply "avoiding taxes." It's used in "PR," to influence others, including other governments, used to somehow authenticate Scientology as a "Church," and as a "Church," Scientology becomes exempt from myriad other restrictions and scrutiny that would be imposed on any other individual, corporation, business, etc.

Also, re-examining the tactics used by Scientology, in its "war" with the American IRS - aside from the more obvious and notable (and likely, but not proven, such as blackmail) tactics used to overwhelm - other more "subtle" tactics include Scientology 1) making itself not understandable to the IRS, and 2) (falsely) assigning significances: two things that Scientology does to Scientologists who are encouraged to read "all" of "LRH," while prevented from reading all of LRH (with the all influencing Scientologists, even though it's unknown to Scientologists; and as for "assigning significances," well, there's "Your meter will tell you," and "This is the cold blooded and factual account of your last 60 trillion years," and "The whole agonized future of this planet, every Man, Woman, and Child on it," and then the advertized confidential part of Scientology: the (enigmatic, yet vital to your and Mankind's survival) "Implantology" levels of the Grade Chart.

Then comes the part of Scientology that is secret but not advertized, and if you're a typical Scientologist, you'll have no idea whatsoever about that part, but, if your "needle is floating," you'll be expected not to care.

Yet, the not-advertized secret part of Scientology, which includes tactics that Scientology used/uses on outsiders to "handle" them, is revealing as to what Scientology (internally) does to Scientologists. These tactics (internalized) and used on Scientologists, were built into Scientology's multi-layered publicized, publicized secret, and secret secret doctrine by its founder.

Quite a trick.

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when DM and Rathbun met with Goldberg of the IRS. :eyeroll:

Megalomaniac

All right. I'm tending towards the conclusion that, yes, CoS should not be tax-exempt. My reason is that, though it has helped people, too many abuses have occurred to be worthy of its status as a charitable organization. Now, that may sound like an understatement, and I've heard a lot of strong opinions.

But for me, at this moment, this is the $10,000 question. And the decision I am about to make is, in fact, worth $10,000. Last year, I donated almost $30,000 in total to the IAS and the Stevens Creek Org building fund. I'm about to file my 2008 taxes. Do I or do I not claim the deduction?

I've already pretty much decided, but I'm interested in what you would do if you had to make the choice and why. In other words, how firmly do you believe the tax-exempt status should be revoked, when it comes down to your own finances?

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
All right. I'm tending towards the conclusion that, yes, CoS should not be tax-exempt. My reason is that, though it has helped people, too many abuses have occurred to be worthy of its status as a charitable organization. Now, that may sound like an understatement, and I've heard a lot of strong opinions.

But for me, at this moment, this is the $10,000 question. And the decision I am about to make is, in fact, worth $10,000. Last year, I donated almost $30,000 in total to the IAS and the Stevens Creek Org building fund. I'm about to file my 2008 taxes. Do I or do I not claim the deduction?

I've already pretty much decided, but I'm interested in what you would do if you had to make the choice and why. In other words, how firmly do you believe the tax-exempt status should be revoked, when it comes down to your own finances?

I would claim it. Until the church has officcially had it removed there's no reason not to take advantage of it. :confused2:

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
And to provide precedent!

I agree. CLAIM IT and lose no sleep over it.
.:sleepy:

Famous Quote from Judge Learned Hand

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as
possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the
treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.
Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone
does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any
public duty to pay more than the law demands."

Megalomaniac

19 for me and 1 for you, TAX MAN!!!

All the reasons in favor of claiming donations to Scientology seem to be based on personal gain. In other words, it's legal, it helps me, everyone does it, so do it. Am I missing something?

Tigger

Patron Meritorious
All the reasons in favor of claiming donations to Scientology seem to be based on personal gain. In other words, it's legal, it helps me, everyone does it, so do it. Am I missing something?

I say "Claim it" with a "But" and an "And"

But don't ever "donate" again.

And write to your Congress person, media, etc. and tell them why Scientology shouldn't be tax-exempt.

Tigger

Megalomaniac

Ok, thanks for your advice. BTW, I didn't claim the Scn donations. I did claim Delphi donations. That is what seemed to be right for me. I can always amend my return if I change my mind. I'm not sure what else to say.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
If you can get out of Scn and your only loss is a couple of hundred thousand dollars...

You're well ahead of the game.

Zinj

Scientology's tax exemption should be rescinded ...

I would prefer to see ALL religious exemptions from taxation rescinded. It amounts to a general subsidy for "acceptable" religions. "Faith" is not a matter of property holdings, tax deductions, or exemptions from civic levies.

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
I would prefer to see ALL religious exemptions from taxation rescinded. It amounts to a general subsidy for "acceptable" religions. "Faith" is not a matter of property holdings, tax deductions, or exemptions from civic levies.

In the USA, there is no chance of ALL religious exemptions for taxation being rescinded, as you know.

However, Scientology's exemption, obtained by way of shady means, has a chance of being revoked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBgvuBkXaQ