What's new

Scn Expanding! NOT!

Div6

Crusader
http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-rel-scientology-woes,0,6183895.story

"One major survey of American religion shows Scientology declining in the U.S., however. The estimated number of Americans who identify as Scientologists rose from 45,000 in 1990 to 55,000 in 2001, then plummeted to 25,000 in 2008, according to the American Religion Identification Survey."

"Davis said that while the church avoids membership estimates, it's "absolutely in the millions" globally and growing in the U.S."

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the link Div6.

If US membership was 25,000 in 2008, then I guess that it was well below 20,000 now, towards the end of 2009.

It interesting that Davis is very coy about actual numbers of Scientologists and just quotes uses the number of buildings purchased as a measure: “He said assets and property holdings have doubled over the past five years, including a new church in Rome and another opening this weekend in Washington, D.C.

"From our perspective, things are going pretty great," Davis said. "In fact, that's downplaying it. Actually, what's happening with the church right now is frankly spectacular.”

If you followed this logic, and you had no public members but purchased even more buildings, then he would say that was a success! :screwy:

But he’s right about one thing – the decline of the CoS is spectacular! :happydance:

Axiom142

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
there are the two major centers, LA and CW that make up the vast majority of scientologists in the US.

LA has been bleeding numbers since the 80's. CW has been acquiring numbers by syphoning them off from other areas.

It is hard to judge any sort of hard numbers of course. I would be very surprised if there more than 10 to 12 thousand Scientologists within reach of LA including all the SO. I think I am being optimistic of course,

IN CW - and including the FLB staff - what, maybe 4K? The rest of the US would be hard pushed to total up 5 k all told.

So 20 k or so sounds like good estimate.

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
Twenty thousand or so members in the U.S. and "absolutely in the millions" globally makes absolutely no sense, but what do you expect from Tommy D?

Feral

Rogue male
These numbers would also include freezoners and Scio's children, the vast majority of which will have the good sense to NEVER involve themselves with the cult.

Scientology will go down in history as the most deceptive cult the world has ever known.

12 million members indeed!

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
IAS Paid Menbership

I want to ask all of you, to spread this as a caper and target: get a journalist to ask this question, on camera, directly to Tommy Davis: "What is the actual number of paid members of the International Association of Scientologists" and "how many of those are active in Scientology within the past twelve months?" ( ten million is so vast a lie we all chuckle at it, but remember, it's not a lie until disproven)

hartley

Patron with Honors
"One major survey of American religion shows Scientology declining in the U.S., however. The estimated number of Americans who identify as Scientologists rose from 45,000 in 1990 to 55,000 in 2001, then plummeted to 25,000 in 2008, according to the American Religion Identification Survey.

The 25,000 number was first published by an OCMB poster back in March, who wrote and asked ARIS for it. Scientology had become too insignificant to appear in their latest report.
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=30372
Now it can be quoted from a 'reliable source'. Please add +/- 103% if you can, or use "there are no more than 50,000 scientologists in the USA" which is statistically accurate.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
What's silly is to know that IAS itself only has a total of some 50,000 listed groups, people and entities that are IAS members.
That sure leaves a lot of Scientologists not interested in joining the IAS.:D

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I suspect that in the past few years the 'actual' number of Scientologists is actually *greater* than those admitting to it.

As it should be.

Zinj

Feral

Rogue male
This quote from the article;

Defectors are overly optimistic about doing any real damage, said J. Gordon Melton, director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion in Santa Barbara, Calif., and editor of a book on Scientology.

"If five cardinals walked out of the Roman Catholic Church and turned on it and said there are bad things happening, it'd be a storm, but the church would weather the storm," Melton said. "I think Scientology is big enough to where it can and will weather the storm."

So far the population of scientologists has more than halved in recent years according to the same article.

So we'll see Mr Melton, we'll see.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron

So far the population of scientologists has more than halved in recent years according to the same article.

That can only be a quote from a current Scientologist or someone who has no idea of what really goes on in Scientology. And the fact Scientology is nowhere near the size of the Catholic Church.:whistling:

OHTEEATE

Whistling past the graveyard...

G. Gordon is incorrect. IF, and it's a big if, the attacks stopped today, then maybe they survive. BUT, the attacks are just getting started. There is MUCH more coming out, and very soon. You just have to chill, and let those who have the data release it on their own schedule. And it is much bigger, jucier and damaging in an National Enquirer sort of way that will hit dead on square in the center of the SCANDAL button that the public loves so much. Get the picture of blood dripping out of the corner of their mouths as they read it, and you are pretty close. Then, Scientology will be toast. If their parishoners are smart, they will comm-ev and remove DM before that much damage is done.

oldtimer

Patron
http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-rel-scientology-woes,0,6183895.story

"One major survey of American religion shows Scientology declining in the U.S., however. The estimated number of Americans who identify as Scientologists rose from 45,000 in 1990 to 55,000 in 2001, then plummeted to 25,000 in 2008, according to the American Religion Identification Survey."

"Davis said that while the church avoids membership estimates, it's "absolutely in the millions" globally and growing in the U.S."

If this is true, Scientology might be less popular in the US than square dancing, which was big back in the '60s and '70s, but most active square dancers now have grandchildren.:yes:

That being said, square dancing is pretty fun. I used to do it.

oldtimer

Patron

They must be more manic than ever and really teeing off the public, and maybe some staff too, for the population to more than halve. That being said, I have no basis to believe your information to be incorrect.:yes:

If this is true, Scientology might be less popular in the US than square dancing, which was big back in the '60s and '70s, but most active square dancers now have grandchildren.:yes:

That being said, square dancing is pretty fun. I used to do it.

I wouldn't underestimate Scientology's popularity.

Scientology is popular ... for the same reasons the Jerry Springer Show is popular.

People love being entertained by dysfunctional freakshows, and Scientology is one of the most dysfunctional.

J. Gordon Melton said:
Defectors are overly optimistic about doing any real damage, said J. Gordon Melton, director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion in Santa Barbara, Calif., and editor of a book on Scientology.

"If five cardinals walked out of the Roman Catholic Church and turned on it and said there are bad things happening, it'd be a storm, but the church would weather the storm," Melton said. "I think Scientology is big enough to where it can and will weather the storm."

Scientology is in a storm that is approaching the size of the storm that's been brewing on Jupiter for the last 400 years.

There isn't a chance in hell that it will weather this storm. Anyone who takes the time to understand Scientology becomes a critic of Scientology and that of course includes current Scientologists.

Student of Trinity

The Roman Catholic church has something like a billion adherents. Scientology has well under 100,000, but let's be generous. That's 10,000 Roman Catholics per Scientologist. So five high-level defectors from Scientology is like 50,000 high-ranking Catholic clergy all defecting.

Techless

Patron Meritorious
I wouldn't underestimate Scientology's popularity.

Scientology is popular ... for the same reasons the Jerry Springer Show is popular.

People love being entertained by dysfunctional freakshows, and Scientology is one of the most dysfunctional.

Yes, but its not popular like J Springer cause he was 'promoting' the insanity of others, and got popular - Scios thus far has not been 'promoting' the same insanity of their own. (perhaps their only way now to get back that 'popular' thang?)

Although J Springer could promote the insanity of Scn and perhaps make it popular?!? Many others though are doing that now...so hoping it too soon will be very popular soon -jspringer fashion...hhmmm?