SEA ORG MEDICAL

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Does anyone remember isolation stories? Eww. Ick!!!

When I was at Flag I got a fever and ended up in isolation. It was just a room with a black and white striped mattress laying on the floor. It had stains all over it. The room smelled weird - musty. We had to hang in there until the fever was gone.

I think the theory was to make it so bad and nasty all you wanted to do was get well and get out!

And you could not leave until you had permission! They would bring in food to eat. Most of it was cold food, because of travel time from the Flag base to the berthing building.

I wanted to get out as fast as possible! Yuck! (this was 1999)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Yeah,this is crazy. I knew many people at Flag who had a hard time seeing the doctor.One of the girls thought she was pregnant,she borrowed money from me for her pregnancy test. Luckly,she was not pregnant. Just stressed out.My friend did abortion and had to pay for it herself. When I left Sea Org,
I had a son in 2000. I was homeless,so i aplied for medicaid. I got medicaid,
but after I had my son,they refused to pay for it,because i had R1 visa and
I was told that the Church should be responsible for the bill.

I wonder if they sent a bill to the Church?

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
The doctor I had to go to for a physical before I was allowed on the Purif wrote both my blood pressure and height stats backwards. The Purif IC still let me on and didn't even question it. They really do a great job double checking important things written by supposed "Doctors!"

lkwdblds

Crusader
A few actual examples.

As I covered in my leaving story, I was Disbursements at CCLA from late 1971 to late 1973. During that time, we had a kind hearted ex nurse, named Ginny for our Medical Officer. She did a pretty good job of treating everyone sent there with care and compassion. Her main staple was to have us read up on PTSness as a cause of illness plus having us read the Adelle Davis Healrth books which LRH had recommended. When it came to actual treatments, she was excellent at cleaning and bandaging scrapes and minor wounds, she could put a sprained finger in a splint and things of that nature.

For more major medical or dental, a purchase order had to be originated by the person requesting medical care. In the 2 years I was there, about 3 P.O.'s went through the Financial Planning committee, all small P.O.'s for between $25 or $50. All P.O.'s for major sums, say over $100 were turned down and I estimate there were perhaps 12 of those in the 2 years. The one big P.O. which went through was for about $430 for a natural child birth physician named Dr. Ettinghausen who specialized in natural child birthing. The people receiving the benefit were Bruce and Chris Rigney. Chris was in Qual and the Qual Sec Sam was on FP committee. The committee was set to turn it down and Sam took that damn P.O. paper in his hand and he just used Tone 40 Intention and 8Ced the committee members and put the P.O. right through. The rest of FP just stood there helplessly while Sam singlehandedly pushed it right through. $430 in those days was over $2,000 today and since the Org was only doing about $5.000 to $7,000 a week in income, it was a pretty large amount but it went through and was paid to the good doctor.

That one P.O represented about 80% of all the money approved for medical services by FP committee in a full two years.
LaKEY

Last edited:

ATAkid

Hi.

So I have never posted here, but I was doing a search for my mother's name and a link to this site popped up so I investigated and found this thread. I am Natalie Ellis' son and I would just like to say thank you for posting because I never knew what her last days were like. Last I had seen her she was sucking on ice to soothe her parched throat with tubes sticking out of her in a hospital bed. The last time I had seen her move she weighed about 84 lbs. I remember Sean vaguely and I do not really remember anyone else. I just remember there being a funeral at CCI. I was at The Ranch and someone called me to the office and told me that my Mother had "dropped her body". I did not know how to respond or what to say so I walked away sort of awe struck, then they told me I was going to go back into the city to CCI for the funeral. I hardly remember it with the exception of a lot of talk about her finding a new body and that it wasn't the end but I don't really remember anyone trying to console me, just telling me that she was alive somewhere or would be soon. I did not cry that day or for weeks after it happened. Then one day I was laying on a hill outside the office at the ranch and it just sort of struck me and struck me hard and I started crying. It is many years later and I have been trying to understand since then what happened to her and why. My mother was a very stubborn and stoic person when it came to her own pain and so I can understand why she wouldn't have said anything until she was in intense pain. I want to thank you again for posting about her, you helped me to understand a little more of what she went through and I am glad there was someone there who called her friend when she died, that means a lot to me.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
So I have never posted here, but I was doing a search for my mother's name and a link to this site popped up so I investigated and found this thread. I am Natalie Ellis' son and I would just like to say thank you for posting because I never knew what her last days were like. Last I had seen her she was sucking on ice to soothe her parched throat with tubes sticking out of her in a hospital bed. The last time I had seen her move she weighed about 84 lbs. I remember Sean vaguely and I do not really remember anyone else. I just remember there being a funeral at CCI. I was at The Ranch and someone called me to the office and told me that my Mother had "dropped her body". I did not know how to respond or what to say so I walked away sort of awe struck, then they told me I was going to go back into the city to CCI for the funeral. I hardly remember it with the exception of a lot of talk about her finding a new body and that it wasn't the end but I don't really remember anyone trying to console me, just telling me that she was alive somewhere or would be soon. I did not cry that day or for weeks after it happened. Then one day I was laying on a hill outside the office at the ranch and it just sort of struck me and struck me hard and I started crying. It is many years later and I have been trying to understand since then what happened to her and why. My mother was a very stubborn and stoic person when it came to her own pain and so I can understand why she wouldn't have said anything until she was in intense pain. I want to thank you again for posting about her, you helped me to understand a little more of what she went through and I am glad there was someone there who called her friend when she died, that means a lot to me.

Hi ATAkid.

I'm glad to see you get the information you needed.

I think this is one of the most important threads on ESMB.

And Emma - well done on the SEO work you are doing!

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
welcome to ESMB ATAkid. It is great to have you here. I hope it is a comfort to you that your mother did have friends who truly loved her and tried to do the best for her.

Do stick around and tell us more about yourself.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

HI ATAKid. I am glad to have helped. I really loved Natalie too. She was my nanny as a child in the SO, and it was tough on me to see her pass. I am very sorry for your loss.

She was very, very loved by Sea Org members and the many public that she helped through their courses (when she was a course supervisor for CCI).

Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help you with.

Welcome Newbie!

Welcome ATA kid! I'm glad you joined us. :) I hope you are out and living a full and free life. This is a good group of supportive people who may be able to help you fill in some of the missing pieces of your childhood, or at least to better understand it all.

Feel free to tell us some more of your own story when you feel ready. It helps to talk to people who understand where you are coming from. :)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Hi ATAkid.

I'm glad to see you get the information you needed.

I think this is one of the most important threads on ESMB.

And Emma - well done on the SEO work you are doing!

Alanzo,

This is one of the more depressing threads, but very enlightening.

One point you made near the beginning of the thread, about the continual stops on staff auditing, indicated to me:

I'll bet the real reason for that is similar to the stop that CC put on their staff co-audit. Too many staff talking to too many other staff, getting off withholds, handling "ARC breaks" and problems on post, etc.

Auditing is open communication. And when you are trying to enforce information control, staff auditing can be the point where the pipes leak.

I would add that if the staff were getting in session and getting withholds off, that the sociopaths in the management structure would stand out more.

One of the big outpoints that finally had me doing serious questioning, was the refusal of management to get staff up the Bridge. If auditing and training were supposed to make you so much more able (at least that was the line given to public), then why were staff not given auditing, when the cost to the org would have been minimal.

The only two reasons I could think of at the time were:
1) Auditing did NOT make you more able (ie, tech was worthless), or
2) Management did not want more able staff (ie, management was suppressive)