What's new

Sec Check Blog: Exposing Scientology Front Groups (and other stuff)

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
gullible.jpg

phenomanon

Canyon
You're possibly thinking of the Airport at Liberia (the CR city, not the country), Aeropuerto Internacional Daniel Oduber Quirós. The airlines just call it "Liberia", which can be confusing and even disconcerting to newbie travelers who thought they'd booked a flight to Central America.

Lest some on here get the wrong idea about Costa Rica:
I spent a 3 month "working vacation" in 2009-2010 at a little off-the-tourist-trails hamlet in the Nicoya Peninsula over on the west coast. I can personally attest that Route 21 west and then south of Liberia are paved, thank you, as are many of the lesser roads that branch off it. I followed Rt. 21 down to Santa Cruz and it was no worse than a poorly-maintained tertiary road in rural USA. There are potholes to avoid, but you can miss most of them if you're watching the road and not barreling along hell-for-leather.

Sta. Cruz and all the towns I passed through had divider lines and well-designed traffic lanes and designated parking that was mostly observed and honored, in my experience. In my dozen-or-so trips into town, I never saw what I would call a traffic jam. Maybe San Jose is just one of the worse-managed cities in the country. Costa Rica, small as it appears on the map, is not as homogeneous as one might expect.

After topping off the gas tank of my rental ('cause Sta. Cruz was the last city/town on my route big enough to have gas stations), I took Rt. 160 westward toward the nearest beaches. It was also paved, slightly narrower and more potholes. You would probably not get bored driving in CR, especially if you're a gamer: Dodging potholes while not swerving into oncoming traffic is a lot like a computer game. You also need to be mindful of the occasional compact herd of the ubiquitous Brahman cattle crossing the road. (No, I'm not kidding.) I thought they ought to make a computer game of it, for CR school Drivers' Ed.
Or better yet, for the driver's license test. (For all I know, they do.)

The Ticos are indeed poor monetarily, but CR is one of the happiest places on this pla...er, I mean, in the world. Most Ticos I met are openly friendly and genuinely like North Americans. There is a definite presence of ex-pats in that part of CR and it's easy to spot them on the street when you're in Santa Cruz. In this area, they're spread all around, possibly because it's off the beaten tourist paths--well, except for Tamarindo, a pure tourist trap which is more like a North American enclave than Costa Rica. You can spend dollars there and get change back in dollars and cents.

As for what the Co$ (spit) is doing in San Jose, I can't figure that either, unless they're hoping to tap into the ex-pat community. Unless they're just buying the real estate as an investment. The real estate market has boomed and tanked off and on over the years. If you can get sucker whales to buy property for you while it's cheap, use slave labor to renovate it, and then sell it when the market is up, and pocket the money---that does sound like $cientology (spit).

Thanks for an additional view of CR. We were there about 4 years ago, apparently didn't have the same experience that you had. I certainly agree with you about the "Ticos". They seemed a happy people, very friendly and almost childlike in their willingness to talk to and/or help a stranger.
I stand by my statements about San Jose and about the traffic nightmare there.
The Northern Airport in CR is named 'Liberia'. We found it to be less hectic in the North end of the Country, with the exception of driving to the beaches from there. Again, over Rivers and over trails. We did not go to Sta Cruz.
I much much prefer Belize. Would live there in a minnit, if Spouse were more adventurous.

phenomanon

Canyon
Well, with the auditing, maybe . . . .

Sorry. :)

Paul

One can only hope.

He seems happy with whatever it is he is doing.:duh:
I stay away from it.:yes:

I hope you had a splendid Turkey day.
I made Crab Cakes from some fresh Crab from our Bay. So good.
The best thing has been the absolutely awesome Moon rise. It rises huge and golden over the shipping lanes, then turns them and the Bay silver. Such a beautiful sight.

strativarius

<snip>
I hope you had a splendid Turkey day.

We don't do thanksgiving here in the UK phenom. Just as well, I hate bloody turkey anyway!

I made Crab Cakes from some fresh Crab from our Bay. So good.

Now you're talkin'!

hs.jpg

Jana's crab cakes... mmm!

The best thing has been the absolutely awesome Moon rise. It rises huge and golden over the shipping lanes, then turns them and the Bay silver. Such a beautiful sight.
Yes, it's just past full now. How lucky you are to have a sight like that every month.

SecCheck

Patron Meritorious
Please Buy My Paintings Of Cats

y0ESpeM.jpg

SRD stands for Survival Rundown, an expensive series of “objectives” in which Scientologists perform simple repetitive tasks for many hours. A Scientologist can be required to re-do levels when a new version is released, and many long-time members repeat introductory courses several times.

I am selling my eight paintings of cats all at once.
I need to re-do the SRD and this will be the target of the money.
HELP ME REACH MY GOAL!

1 oil on canvas
7 acrylic on wood

– Cláudia Oitavén

https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/please-buy-my-paintings-of-cats/

phenomanon

Canyon
We don't do thanksgiving here in the UK phenom. Just as well, I hate bloody turkey anyway!

Now you're talkin'!

hs.jpg

Jana's crab cakes... mmm!

Yes, it's just past full now. How lucky you are to have a sight like that every month.

I served a Wild Rice Pilaf ( wild rice with pecans, dried cherries, and a bit of brown Rice), a delicious small Squash I think is called 'Delicato', ans some other stuff. I wish you were here, Stratti. I like to cook for ppl., and I would love to cook for you.

Yes. The view from our place is drop dead gorgeous at any time. The full Moon was simply spectacular reflecting on the waters.

strativarius

I served a Wild Rice Pilaf (wild rice with pecans, dried cherries, and a bit of brown rice), a delicious small Squash I think is called 'Delicato', and some other stuff. I wish you were here, Stratti. I like to cook for ppl, and I would love to cook for you.

I'd love to have you cook something for me too locker girl. Unfortunately I'll just have to survive on Waitrose readymeals, because I can't really be bothered to cook anything special just for one. Maybe I should get myself a gourmet dog. :biggrin:

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Please Buy My Paintings Of Cats

y0ESpeM.jpg

SRD stands for Survival Rundown, an expensive series of “objectives” in which Scientologists perform simple repetitive tasks for many hours. A Scientologist can be required to re-do levels when a new version is released, and many long-time members repeat introductory courses several times.

I am selling my eight paintings of cats all at once.
I need to re-do the SRD and this will be the target of the money.
HELP ME REACH MY GOAL!

1 oil on canvas
7 acrylic on wood

– Cláudia Oitavén

https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/please-buy-my-paintings-of-cats/

Why would anyone pay for a painting of a cat licking it's ass? (upper right-hand picture) LOLOLOL!

SecCheck

Patron Meritorious
Please Give To Scientology Denver Staff

CqErduM.jpg

The holidays are a time of giving to those less fortunate, and staff at the Denver Scientology would like you to consider donating to them. Stockings have been put on display in the org’s main staircase in hopes that you will assist those in need.

The staff of The Church of Scientology Denver have their stockings hung, come show them that they are appreciated.

https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/please-give-to-scientology-denver-staff/

SecCheck

Patron Meritorious
Brazil Week On The Freewinds

wpcoX0p.jpg

Last week was Brazil week on the Freewinds in port at Bridgetown, Barbados. We have photos of the Brazilians as they had fun in the sun and clay demo’d their expansion from a mission into an Ideal Org in the Freewinds’ nightclub – the Starlight Lounge. Scientologists frequently build a “clay demo” with little labels telling you what each part is to add “reality” to the project and make it come to frution.

https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/brazil-week-on-the-freewinds/

SecCheck

Patron Meritorious
Scientology Gives You Super Powers – Like Wolverine

OSvI7WS.jpg

Joshua Wong is a Scientologist living in Sunnyvale, California and is involved in the Scientology front group CCHR Silicon Valley. He has completed the Super Power levels at Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida and claims that the process allows him to heal wounds by ordering his cells to repair injuries and remove infections. In the comic books, this power is held by the superhero Wolverine, of the X-Men.

More at: https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/12/04/scientology-gives-you-super-powers-like-wolverine/

strativarius

Below is a snip from the link in the above post. It made me wonder. At what point do you go from being just another whacky scientologist, to someone who is bordering on being certifyably insane?

Last week I cut my finger while working on a project. I hadn’t paid much attention to it, but today in the morning before course, I looked at it and noticed that the wound was pussing and not showing any signs of healing. This was somewhat concerning to me, so I looked at the area and perceived the cells in the area and what they were doing. I saw that the white blood cells were playing a game of “repelling the invader or infection”, and that no one was actually interested in actually closing up the wound.

So I got in comm with the cells and said to them, “OK cells, I know that you’ve been having a lot of fun with this game, but now it’s time to start growing new cells and repairing this finger. And with any luck, active guy that I am, next week I’ll injure myself in some new area and you’ll have more game to play.” Total time spent on this: about twenty seconds.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
. . . and claims that the process allows him to heal wounds by ordering his cells to repair injuries and remove infections.

He should study more biology and a small part of the Scientology book Fundamentals of Thought. Then he would learn that

1. His "cells" will repair injuries and remove infections all on their lonesome, thank you very much, and

2. If you try to consciously take over an automatic process (automaticity) Hubbard says it will tend to cease to operate.

In other words he's potentially acting against the body's natural defence mechanisms. Dunno how true #2 is (I discovered years before I came across Scn that if you've got hiccups and TRY REALLY HARD to hiccup then they stop very quickly, but in general, who knows?).

Paul

SecCheck

Patron Meritorious
Mzansi Fela Festival Welcomes Scientology – The Way To Happiness

B8vqXSD.jpg

The Mzansi Fela Festival is sponsored by the South African Department of Arts and Culture. This month the festival is in Pretoria, and includes performances of Madiba, the African Opera. The opera was written in 2014 to celebrate the lives of Nelson and Winnie Mandela and the fight against apartheid.

More at: https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015...al-welcomes-scientology-the-way-to-happiness/