What's new

SENATOR INVESTIGATES CoS ANZO!!!!!!!!

Sir Facer

Patron with Honors
wow

I suspect that this investigation will be too late. I believe the CofS in Australia will collapse completely before the investigation is finished.

I too have sent an email to Senator Nick Zenophon, addressing the CofS abuse of their tax exempt status. I would not be surprised to see their tax concession removed in the next few months. This means that the CofS will have to pay capital gains tax on the sale of their Castlereagh Street property which was purchased for around $780,000 in the late '70s and is now worth some $75m.

David.

:omg: :omg: :omg: WOW:omg: :omg: :omg:

Carmel

Crusader
Well, this is all good news, but, I have to admit to feeling a little disappointment.

I read the thread title as 'Senator Investigates CoS Alanzo!!!!!'

I guess we can't have everything :(

Zinj

No, we can't have "everything", I s'pose! :eyeroll: - Lucky that we're not all greedy bloody bastards! :coolwink:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I think it's clear that anyone who investigated me would be a religious bigot.

And paid by the pharmaceutical industry.

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
I suspect that this investigation will be too late. I believe the CofS in Australia will collapse completely before the investigation is finished.

Not with the cash still coming in from the UK, the Aus charity status is the reason they have the tax breaks here (some reciprocal commonwealth thing) so I doubt that ANZO will be allowed to go down untill the charity status is lost.

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
I would not be surprised to see their tax concession removed in the next few months. This means that the CofS will have to pay capital gains tax on the sale of their Castlereagh Street property which was purchased for around $780,000 in the late '70s and is now worth some $75m.

I hope the tax exemption goes bye-bye, too!

Just to clarify capital gains tax, in case anyone is unfamiliar with it. If the cult lost tax exemption and then sold property, they're making a profit from that sale, and therefore have to pay tax based on the sale price! :lol:

Sir Facer

Patron with Honors
Thank you

I hope the tax exemption goes bye-bye, too!

Just to clarify capital gains tax, in case anyone is unfamiliar with it. If the cult lost tax exemption and then sold property, they're making a profit from that sale, and therefore have to pay tax based on the sale price! :lol:

Thanks for the clarification:coolwink: :omg:

mate

Patron Meritorious
Not with the cash still coming in from the UK, the Aus charity status is the reason they have the tax breaks here (some reciprocal commonwealth thing) so I doubt that ANZO will be allowed to go down until the charity status is lost.

Au contraire, as I understand it, the Churches of Scientology in the UK, send some, if not all, of the fixed fees , which they call "donations", they receive for counselling and training, directly to Church of Scientology Religious Education College Incorporated. This is a South Australian registered association (Registration Number A5172) which I believe has a registered office in the Church of Scientology of Adelaide at 18 Waymouth St, Adelaide, SA 5000.

As I further understand it, the reason behind this maneuver, is to evade paying tax to the HM Revenue & Customs, for which they are not exempt, and receive the benefit of the Church of Scientology tax exemption in Australia. I suspect that this is not only tax evasion in the UK, but is actually money laundering here in Australia, that is, the "tax evaded" part. This information has been passed onto Senator Xenophon and onto the Premier and the Opposition Leader of the South Australian Government.

And of course, there is the Henry report on the Australian Taxation System to be tabled in the Federal Parliament in the near future. The timing seems to be exquisitely perfect.

Regards, David.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Au contraire, as I understand it, the Churches of Scientology in the UK, send some, if not all, of the fixed fees , which they call "donations", they receive for counselling and training, directly to Church of Scientology Religious Education College Incorporated. This is a South Australian registered association (Registration Number A5172) which I believe has a registered office in the Church of Scientology of Adelaide at 18 Waymouth St, Adelaide, SA 5000.

The COSRECI was set up some time in the 70s. I was FBO AOSHUK around 1981 for 18 months. When I was FBO not a penny of AOSHUK/SHF income was sent to Australia. I wrote cheques payable to UK orgs and to Flag. I forget the Flag payee, probably Religious Research Foundation, but it was a routine one. Things may have changed later, but that's how it was when I was directly involved. Note that the AOSHUK bank accounts, although UK accounts, have "COSRECI" (or spelled out) in the name, though.

Paul

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

As I further understand it, the reason behind this maneuver, is to evade paying tax to the HM Revenue & Customs, for which they are not exempt, and receive the benefit of the Church of Scientology tax exemption in Australia. I suspect that this is not only tax evasion in the UK, but is actually money laundering here in Australia, that is, the "tax evaded" part. This information has been passed onto Senator Xenophon and onto the Premier and the Opposition Leader of the South Australian Government.

And of course, there is the Henry report on the Australian Taxation System to be tabled in the Federal Parliament in the near future. The timing seems to be exquisitely perfect.

Regards, David.

The COSRECI was set up some time in the 70s. I was FBO AOSHUK around 1981 for 18 months. When I was FBO not a penny of AOSHUK/SHF income was sent to Australia. I wrote cheques payable to UK orgs and to Flag. I forget the Flag payee, probably Religious Research Foundation, but it was a routine one. Things may have changed later, but that's how it was when I was directly involved. Note that the AOSHUK bank accounts, although UK accounts, have "COSRECI" (or spelled out) in the name, though.

Paul

So Paul and Mate, does it make sense that the UK account was owned by COSRECI in Australia, the deposits were made in the UK, declared or assigned to the charity in Australia, to avoid the taxes? Then further dispersed by the FBO AOSHUK, tax free to UK orgs, and to some (owner unknown) account again APPARENTLY but not necessarily controlled by another in Florida?

Sir Facer

Patron with Honors
So Paul and Mate, does it make sense that the UK account was owned by COSRECI in Australia, the deposits were made in the UK, declared or assigned to the charity in Australia, to avoid the taxes? Then further dispersed by the FBO AOSHUK, tax free to UK orgs, and to some (owner unknown) account again APPARENTLY but not necessarily controlled by another in Florida?

Yes Please Answer Mate, this is very interesting...............

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Depends what you mean by "owned by." The signatures on the bank mandates — which I saw — were the usual people. From memory, me, the AGF, FBO UK, maybe the org CO, and a couple of Int signatories. Maybe Herbie (DGFWW). Certainly no Australian strangers. Beyond that, I don't know who "owned" the accounts.

Paul

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi Paul, thank you for the information. It's great, but I do have some questions, if I may?

Do you recall which bank, this account was in?

Do you recall the exact name of the account?

At Saint Hill in the early '80s, there was a girl, probably in her mid twenties with long black hair and a deviating eye (strabismus), who did all the overseas disbursements. She was located in a trailer and it was all hush hush. Do you remember her, and if so do you remember her name?

It sure sounds like Herb Parkhouse was the architect of the Church of Scientology Religious Education College Incorporated. Is Herb Parkhouse still with us or has he returned to his primary cluster of soulmates? If he is still with us, is he in good standing? If he is still an SP, can he be contacted?

In the late '70s, I recall watching AG ANZO late one night, sitting on the floor with a stack on invoices sorting them out, and I asked Maureen, "Don't you use double-entry bookkeeping?" The answer was "No". Then she showed me, a stack of invoices with an adding machine print-out on top and told me that this was the way it was done, and the reason for it, was to ensure there were no records. At the time, I thought it was very strange, very strange indeed. In fact, I decided that scientology "admin tech" left a lot to be desired, to put it kindly.

Regards, David.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Depends what you mean by "owned by." The signatures on the bank mandates — which I saw — were the usual people. From memory, me, the AGF, FBO UK, maybe the org CO, and a couple of Int signatories. Maybe Herbie (DGFWW). Certainly no Australian strangers. Beyond that, I don't know who "owned" the accounts.

Paul

I would think that the Legal Entity, which would be required to claim the account deposits as income or assets, is what I mean by owned.

Secondarily, who had final say over signatories?

I don't know a thing about Commonwealth Trade practises, but I would expect there would be some ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION, or other registration documents stating the shareholders, directors, et al.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Paul, thank you for the information. It's great, but I do have some questions, if I may?

Do you recall which bank, this account was in?
National Westminster
Do you recall the exact name of the account?
Something like CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY RELIGIOUS EDUCATION COLLEGE INC. AOSHUK FINANCE OFFICE NO. 1 ACCOUNT. The other FBO A/C was the No. 2 A/C. Then the regular org accounts like MAIN, RESERVE, HCO BOOK etc., all the other words in the account name being the same. AFAIR, anyway.
At Saint Hill in the early '80s, there was a girl, probably in her mid twenties with long black hair and a deviating eye (strabismus), who did all the overseas disbursements. She was located in a trailer and it was all hush hush. Do you remember her, and if so do you remember her name?
Vaguely, if it's the same girl. She was kinda quiet and sweet, bit plump. I remember the trailers parked up by Saint Hill Lodge. I did some audits in there for a week or so in the early 80s. I don't remember her name.

It sure sounds like Herb Parkhouse was the architect of the Church of Scientology Religious Education College Incorporated. Is Herb Parkhouse still with us or has he returned to his primary cluster of soulmates? If he is still with us, is he in good standing? If he is still an SP, can he be contacted?
I don't think he ever got back into good standing. In 2007 Alan posted that he was a successful businessman in Brighton. I couldn't find a current entry on Google. Herbert G. Parkhouse, usually H.G. Parkhouse.

In the late '70s, I recall watching AG ANZO late one night, sitting on the floor with a stack on invoices sorting them out, and I asked Maureen, "Don't you use double-entry bookkeeping?" The answer was "No". Then she showed me, a stack of invoices with an adding machine print-out on top and told me that this was the way it was done, and the reason for it, was to ensure there were no records. At the time, I thought it was very strange, very strange indeed. In fact, I decided that scientology "admin tech" left a lot to be desired, to put it kindly.

Regards, David.

Maureen Sparshott? Maureen Brigatti? I started in Treasury AOSHUK in late 1972, when we were based in the Manor, sharing the Monkey Room with Finance Office GOWW, separated by a double row of filing cabinets (but only one high so we could see over the top and hear). We got trained in Scn finance basics by doing the then Finance Course, under the supervision of Fin Bur GOWW, usually Mike Totman. This was in 1973 after we had moved out to the Solarium. We got trained very well, and the people concerned kept in the admin pretty well right up to about 1982/3. Around that time I got busted from the FBO post, Alastair Guy blew from the AGF post, Colin Guy got busted from Treas Sec post and it all went to hell after that.

We kept past invoices for ever. The idea of "not having records" might be some kind of fancy illegal shit that Maureen was doing in ANZO, or some account-juggling done at Int, but it wasn't what we were trained to do and did at Saint Hill.

Paul

RogerB

Crusader
The Trick to All This . . .

What is missing from the info on this banking scene is the domicile of incorporation of this entity: CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY RELIGIOUS EDUCATION COLLEGE INC.

I did tax advising a bit in the period 1969-75.

That account could have been a foreign domicile corporation with a UK bank account . . . and at the time that would have provided all kinds of tax "manipulation" advantages. This regardless of who the signatories were or their residence.

So the question becomes, a legal one. Who knows where the the legal entity in question was incorporated? :yes: That really is what determines the issue here.

Rog

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi RogerB.

The Church of Scientology Religious Education College Incorporated was registrated in South Australia as a Incorporated Association. From the SA Office of Business Affaires, http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/Associations/what.html
we have

What is incorporation?

Groups of people come together in an organised way for many purposes. Incorporating separates the individual person (member) from the entity. Incorporation makes the group (body) a single entity with certain rights and legal protections as well as some additional obligations.

Incorporated Associations

* have their own corporate identity
* can sue and be sued
* can enter into contracts
* mostly appoint committees to run affairs
* have their documents lodged on a public register.

It is recommended that persons considering incorporation of an association obtain a copy of the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 and Regulations from Service SA for a moderate cost.

However, other than the registration number, no information has been lodged, and as you can see, nor is it required.

Thank you, Paul. Yes, you are correct, one copy of each of the invoices was kept and after an OK from AGF(WW), the the calculator print outs were destroyed and the invoices put in storage. It was Maureen Sparshott. When the GO was disbanded, Maureen went into the TTC in the AOSH ANZO, where her husband Peter was their first NOTs C/S. Peter, sadly passed away. She would be in her seventies and is now in Treasury. In Australia, unlike the US, when one turns 65, they are eligible for the age pension, which is currently over $Aus 1000 per month and of course, there is free medical hospital and dental. As I understand it, the elderly are retained and their pensions support a lot of SO crew expenses, which would now include food and services. They do have a number pensioners on staff.

Regards, David.

Last edited: