What's new

Senator Nick Xenophon & revoking scientology’s charity registration

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
New news.

Senator Nick Xenophon asks regulator to consider revoking Church of Scientology’s registration as a charity

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon is concerned by allegations in the film and has asked the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission to urgently review the church’s registration.

“These allegations included that the Church of Scientology ... tortures its members, that it has stolen US Government documents and requires current members to cut all ties with friends and family members,’’ Senator Xenophon said in a letter to the charities commission.

He said he was deeply concerned about the harmful influence the global Church of Scientology could be having on its Australian branches.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...ion-as-a-charity/story-fnii5yv4-1227296188357

Vicki Dunstan's response is the usual. :pfft:

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The media is picking it up, I have heard reports that it was on TV today but haven't found reports yet.

ACNC Urged to Investigate Church of Scientology

“I understand the Church of Scientology is registered by the ACNC as a charity with the purpose of 'advancing religion'. The Church of Scientology operates in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia,” Senator Xenophon’s letter said.

“According to the ACNC's website there are 14 organisations that contain the word 'scientology' in their names that are, or have been, registered as charities. Of those 14 organisations, two have had their registration revoked and one has had its registration voluntarily revoked.”

Senator Xenophon’s letter comes after the airing of a controversial documentary in the United States, called Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, which is believed to include new allegations in relation to the conduct of the Church of Scientology in North America.
- See more at: http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/...igate-church-scientology#sthash.63DW5YCe.dpuf

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2015/04/acnc-urged-investigate-church-scientology#

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
As I mentioned elsewhere... In Australia, all of the few remaining scientologists suffer from a bad case of Xenophobia (may also be spelled Xenuphobia). :biggrin:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
[video=youtube;E4mZMj5Tm7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mZMj5Tm7Q[/video]

Published on Apr 8, 2015

The SA Senator has pushed to revoke the Church of Scientology's charity status.

Studio 10 | 8:30am on TEN

Veda

Sponsor
[video=youtube;E4mZMj5Tm7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mZMj5Tm7Q[/video]

Published on Apr 8, 2015

The SA Senator has pushed to revoke the Church of Scientology's charity status.

Studio 10 | 8:30am on TEN

Senator Xenophon is very courageous and in very dangerous territory saying this:

"What I'd like to see is what they have in France. They have a cult busting organization so, if people are caught up in a cult, if people are vulnerable to psychological duress, then there's an organization that actually helps those individuals, and they've been very effective in taking on Scientology... I think we actually need to have a cult busting agency in this country."

This flies directly into the face of Scientology Inc.'s most emphasized assertion: that Scientology is not a cult but a Church, that the term "cult" is meaningless, that there is no psychological duress or destructive manipulation, and that those who say otherwise are anti-religious bigots and haters.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Senator Xenophon is very courageous and in very dangerous territory saying this:

"What I'd like to see is what they have in France. They have a cult busting organization so, if people are caught up in a cult, if people are vulnerable to psychological duress, then there's an organization that actually helps those individuals, and they've been very effective in taking on Scientology... I think we actually need to have a cult busting agency in this country."

This flies directly into the face of Scientology Inc.'s most emphasized assertion: that Scientology is not a cult but a Church, that the term "cult" is meaningless, that there is no psychological duress or destructive manipulation, and that those who say otherwise are anti-religious bigots and haters.

Maybe, but although he's taking this action on his own he can probably count on a massive groundswell of support from the Australian public, even from those who don't vote for him. It's not only optimism that inclines me to think that this is a battle the cult will lose if they're unwise enough to take it on (and on past evidence they probably will).

Last edited:

Albion

Patron with Honors
I've just updated last night's piece I wrote on Senator Nick Xenophon's latest push against Scientology in Australia (see above for the link).

I had a browse though the database of the ACNC, the charities watchdog, to see if I could find not just the Scientology missions, but the front groups. It wasn't hard to turn up some of the usual suspects -- and as you'll see, it's a game anyone can play.

Attachments

• ABLE Australia.JPG
    ABLE Australia.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 24

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I've just updated last night's piece I wrote on Senator Nick Xenophon's latest push against Scientology in Australia (see above for the link).

I had a browse though the database of the ACNC, the charities watchdog, to see if I could find not just the Scientology missions, but the front groups. It wasn't hard to turn up some of the usual suspects -- and as you'll see, it's a game anyone can play.

Thanks, that's so interesting!

I just watched Nick Xenophon's video above as well, he is my hero. :)