What's new

Shunning and vilification alive and well in the Indie Field.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
An asshole who is audacious enough to shun you has done you a great favor. You know thereby this action that you don't want to be part of anything that has their stink burned into it. I was shunned by the soul deadened little rondroid rodents down at the Morgue in the late 70's for reading a couple of $cilon expose books, one of which contained the OT3 shit, and being shunned was the greatest gift they could have given me as it gave me all the walking papers I needed. And so I walked. They could take their broke assed elitism, their fraudulent states of attainment, and shove it all as far as I was concerned. :lol:

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
The shunning thing, or disconnection, is more than just not talking to the person. It means that it's an organized campaign, wherein one or more people or a group, try to get the person "shunned" by everyone else in that particular venue.

That is one of the characteristics of it and that's why it's so bad.

I mean, yeah, if I don't want to talk to Jane Doe anymore for whatever my reason is and nobody told me to stop talking to her, then, whatever. It's just people. But if someone told me I couldn't talk to her anymore and/or either I or anyone else tried to orchestrate a shunning campaign against Jane Doe, that would be hurtful and could even destroy lives. In fact, that is an attempt to destroy the other person.

There is nothing like other people. Our connections to them in family, friendship, business, even casual interactions is lifeblood to us. We work for people. People work for us. We turn to other folks when we need help. We do business with them. We cheer them up when they're sad and others do that for us.

To try to cut someone off from that is wrong. Obviously, this is a gross understatement on my part, but I do like to break things down to their elements.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
"try to get the person "shunned" by everyone else in that particular venue"
That's the most disappointing aspect of being shunned is the realization that the "shunner" has such an eager audience and that people are stupid enough to buy the manufactured negativity about you and maybe have such low self esteem that they are somewhat desperate about believing that you might be a bigger shmuck than they and so they buy the shunning hook line and sinker. They NEED to believe the worst about others as it counterbalances against the worst that they know about themselves. So it doesn't often take much selling on the part of the shunner. $cilons, even ex's, are often an eager audience for such underhanded tactics as their messiah (or former messiah) used these tactics with relish.