What's new

SO ED 7 Nov 1982 The Flow Up The Bridge The US Mission Holders Conference San Fran 82

Terril park

Sponsor
Re: SO ED 7 Nov 1982 The Flow Up The Bridge The US Mission Holders Conference San Fra

Over the long term, the destruction of the Mission network resulted in the collapse of Scn stats.

Over the short term, it allowed Hubbard to loot the assets of the Mission network.

Hubbard was not somebody who was focused on the long term. He kept people focused on "next Thursday at 2:00". He was not interested in what might happen to Scn after he was gone.

Not always true. For example on the OT 2 platens he commented that over the eons language changes. If this happens he recommended using the words that gave the best reads.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
Re: SO ED 7 Nov 1982 The Flow Up The Bridge The US Mission Holders Conference San Fra

AFAIK Dean was never here on ESMB, so what building are you referring to?

I meant, is he dead?

Mr. Praline (John Cleese-Monty Python): 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Orglodyte

Patron with Honors

ex-EEEE-0043.jpg

1) Does Ray Jeffrey know about this?

2) I was there for de-dinging. In '81 or so, Kingsley's new "tech" spread like wildfire through the Mission network I was a part of. It had a huge impact on the culture. I didn't like it -- the "flow power to power" thing led to crazy acts of criminal exchange. One poor guy spent 10 grand on a single hour of auditing, just to "flow power" to the mission. This was announced at graduation, and the combination of clapping and horrified faces was something to behold.

De-dinging itself was an informal, out-of-session "drill." It addressed "subtle internal suppression," or SIS (acronym-happy as always). Supposedly little comments made by staff and public could undermine our morale, and the de-dinging process was a way to destimulate all the little "dings," or subtly suppressive statements. It was called a "drill" rather than a "process," I imagine to deflect accusations of squirrelling and "coffee shop" (out of session auditing).

While it was in vogue, the culture got nasty. If anyone said anything remotely negative, or counter to anyone's intention, the custom was to say "Ding!" This was of course used by reges and recruiters to handle objections.

Around the same time, "face-ripping" and "Severe Reality Adjustments" (SRA's, more acronym-happiness) came into vogue. I thought this was coming from the same source as de-dinging, but I guess it came from Miscavige's side, the trickle-down of the control struggle happening at the top.

I got disgusted and left the mission for the org, wanting to move uplines where things would be saner. Ha! Very funny. Finally made it to Flag, and it was the craziest of all. That was the last service I did.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious

Over the long term, the destruction of the Mission network resulted in the collapse of Scn stats.

Over the short term, it allowed Hubbard to loot the assets of the Mission network.

Hubbard was not somebody who was focused on the long term. He kept people focused on "next Thursday at 2:00". He was not interested in what might happen to Scn after he was gone.

I think you're right in that he wasn't interested in what might happen to Scientology after he was gone. But he did say he wanted to smash his name into history, which is "long term" in a narcissistic sort of way:

Los Angeles Times said:
"I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form, even if all the books are destroyed,"

Hubbard wrote to the first of his three wives in 1938, more than a decade before he created Scientology.

"That goal," he said, "is the real goal as far as I am concerned."

http://www.lermanet.com/scientologynews/latimes/lat-1a.htm

Hubbard also had a history of using his focus or "focus" to con people.

Jack Parsons said:
He [Hubbard] is also interested in establishing the New Aeon but for cogent reasons I have not introduced him to the Lodge.

Carter, J. (1999) Sex and Rockets The Occult World of Jack Parsons. Venice: Feral House

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

I think you're right in that he wasn't interested in what might happen to Scientology after he was gone. But he did say he wanted to smash his name into history, which is "long term" in a narcissistic sort of way:

Hubbard also had a history of using his focus or "focus" to con people.

That goal was at the beginning. I'm guessing things might have been different in the 80's. He may have been getting tired and paranoid, and more concerned with having a large stash of "getaway money" in lots of places.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious

2) I was there for de-dinging. In '81 or so, Kingsley's new "tech" spread like wildfire through the Mission network I was a part of. It had a huge impact on the culture. I didn't like it -- the "flow power to power" thing led to crazy acts of criminal exchange. One poor guy spent 10 grand on a single hour of auditing, just to "flow power" to the mission. This was announced at graduation, and the combination of clapping and horrified faces was something to behold.

Around the same time, "face-ripping" and "Severe Reality Adjustments" (SRA's, more acronym-happiness) came into vogue. I thought this was coming from the same source as de-dinging, but I guess it came from Miscavige's side, the trickle-down of the control struggle happening at the top.

I got disgusted and left the mission for the org, wanting to move uplines where things would be saner. Ha! Very funny. Finally made it to Flag, and it was the craziest of all. That was the last service I did.

The period from around 1977 to 1982 is where it all seemed to fall apart.
At org and mission level, the early 70's were really an adventure and mostly fun. Then the Tech Correction Roundup issue threw uncertainty into the mix, the Solution to Inflation was pure madness and "Dianetic Clear" torpedoed the Bridge. The final straw came with the Mission Holders Conference and Miscavige.

OhMG

Patron Meritorious

The period from around 1977 to 1982 is where it all seemed to fall apart.

That's when the boomers coming into Scn started to drop off. Pure demographics problem...

Caroline

Patron Meritorious

That goal was at the beginning. I'm guessing things might have been different in the 80's. He may have been getting tired and paranoid, and more concerned with having a large stash of "getaway money" in lots of places.

I appreciate your thought on this, as confronting Hubbard's intentions for himself vs. his "Command Intention" for others is so important to sort out, especially in the context of power. Power was basically the underlying issue at the Mission Holders Conference as well, as the transcript attached to SO ED 7 November 1982 shows.

For years, Hubbard tried to get it believed that he was successfully in "Bulgravia" with enough money to bribe the police. (Ref. HCOPL Responsibility of Leaders PDF format) It was Rathbun's job for Hubbard's last years to generate that lie and get it believed, by courts, the media, and the cult's victims. But Hubbard never followed his power-change formula. He never let go of his power machine.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious

De-dinging itself was an informal, out-of-session "drill." It addressed "subtle internal suppression," or SIS (acronym-happy as always). Supposedly little comments made by staff and public could undermine our morale, and the de-dinging process was a way to destimulate all the little "dings," or subtly suppressive statements. It was called a "drill" rather than a "process," I imagine to deflect accusations of squirrelling and "coffee shop" (out of session auditing).

While it was in vogue, the culture got nasty. If anyone said anything remotely negative, or counter to anyone's intention, the custom was to say "Ding!" This was of course used by reges and recruiters to handle objections.

That is funny, about trying to get to Flag where it would be saner. Thank you very much for this interesting account of the de-dinging drill or process.

phenomanon

Canyon

I meant, is he dead?

Mr. Praline (John Cleese-Monty Python): 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

He wasn't dead last I knew. There were some pics showing Dean at Alan's wake awhile back.
He is'was living on a his ranch in Texas, not too far from where Alan's ranch was/is.