What's new

SO Survivor's Guild

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
On another thread (the one where Mick Wenlock is telling us what happened to him on leaving the SO) I suggested that some kind of assn be created - perhaps informally on a cyber basis- for people leaving the SO.

I would be up for that. I know a couple other people on that thread seemed willing, also.

I suggest maybe creating a sort of cyber assn on a word of mouth/intro basis.

I talked to John and asked him if he would ever put an ex SO member up who needed a place to stay. He said (and I concur) that he'd have to know something about the person. Perhaps an intro from someone else, something. So under some circumstances, we could do that.

I would also be willing to pledge a bit of money (I'm not rich but I would contribute) at times and also I am pretty good with credit counselling so if someone had questions about their debt ( a lot of ex members have debt problems) and what can be done to them, bankruptcy, etc, I can supply some info as to how it all works.

It was suggested that the departee might not want to stay with disaffected ex Scn'ists. And J and I are certainly expelled and declared- BUT...

I was thinking. Some of the people who leave the SO aren't trying to get back in and won't care if the person who they are talking to is in good standing with CofS or not. Some people WOULD care, but then again, not all critics are expelled/declared. I am sure that one way or another, some of us who wanted to help, would sometimes be taken up on that offer.

And in case anyone's reading this who is in that situation, is about to be in that situation, or knows someone who is and is wondering...I personally do not tell people they should not rejoin CofS or that they should do FZ or they shouldn't. I would not even go into it with them, unless the person brought it up. And THEN I would start by saying, "What do YOU want to do?"

I live in Seattle and am listed in the phone book...

Claire Swazey

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Part of my website will be addressing this issue. I'll be looking for people like you and others who have voiced a willingness to help escapees.

Thanks Claire.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi,

I was also thinking that maybe that could be extended to Class V org escapees.

Many mission and org staff members have "wog jobs" in their (ha ha!) "spare" time. However, there are some that the org is the only place they work. Further, there are some who are self employed working for/with other CofS members.

If they get expelled or even just in "serious ethics trouble" they can lose all that and be put in the position of having to start all over again.

It's much much tougher for SO members because they are out without even a place to stay, etc, but I think that for the org staff member who gets really screwed over by the organization, that sometimes that person can be in a position where he could lose his domicile or not lose it, but it's all he has left.

SO members leaving would be priority but I think that if an org or mission staff member was screwed over to the point of losing either everything or damn near everything, that they could also be helped.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hi,

I was also thinking that maybe that could be extended to Class V org escapees.

Many mission and org staff members have "wog jobs" in their (ha ha!) "spare" time. However, there are some that the org is the only place they work. Further, there are some who are self employed working for/with other CofS members.

If they get expelled or even just in "serious ethics trouble" they can lose all that and be put in the position of having to start all over again.

It's much much tougher for SO members because they are out without even a place to stay, etc, but I think that for the org staff member who gets really screwed over by the organization, that sometimes that person can be in a position where he could lose his domicile or not lose it, but it's all he has left.

SO members leaving would be priority but I think that if an org or mission staff member was screwed over to the point of losing either everything or damn near everything, that they could also be helped.

I agree. Totally.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hi Ems and Fluffy!

Bless your kind hearts, both of ya.

This is something we have gone over many times on the XSO list. One of the stumbling blocks we have found is letting those who are on the way out, or just out, know that there is help. Most XSO and, I think XSCN are willing to help people, unconditionally (pun intended...) - I will quite happily help out even if the person wants to stay in Scientology or the Free Zone. But how do we let them know?

Especially XSO - a lot of them coming out have no idea that there are people who would lend a hand. Most XSO do not have much of a concept of the internet and in those first few weeks, which is the time the help would count the most it's probably the time they are least likely to find it.

What you have done with ESMB Emma is probably the most important step - a forum for people to just hang out. Just promoting that, pointing to it in postings encouraging others to set up their own, non-judgemental, get together places would help. The more we get out there the better the chances that the people that exes first contact when they get out (old friend, a family member) will at least know enough to point them in this direction.

Then maybe, between us all, we'll manage to create the sort of community we thought we were joining in the first place!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I guess it would have to be piecemeal...we could link to something about it on my website, and on Emma's that she is going to have.

Maybe other people would be willing to link to that or mention it here and there.

And the occasional pre formed post could be posted on a.r.s.-- I know that people do lurk on it. You know the one that Kristi Wachter does- actually she does two of them...one about CofS squirrelling their own tech and the other about send me your unwanted Scn materials. She periodically posts those same ones.

We could do that. I'd be happy to.

I would also put it on the front page of my website. That is certainly no big deal, as websites go, but the more we can link...

We could also run ads. What I think is that there could be a word of mouth thing.

wolfright

Patron
This is a cool idea. I don't have resources to help out with a place to stay, etc. but would be willing to talk to anyone about stuff and help them as much as I could.

When I got out of the SO I was still trying to get back in, then I was still a Scn, and it took me 7 years to get to the point where I am now and say "I will never go back". So the issue of talking to declared people, or feeling like you are going to have a decision crammed down your throat, is a valid one.

I know this is going to sound silly and childish, but I wish we had some kind of symbol or sign, like the AA has their triangle/circle (just like the NWC symbol) so that we could recognise each other without saying anything to non-scn. I mean, I have loads of friends that don't know I was ever involved in the church, and I don't intend to tell them. If one of them was like me, I wouldn't know it.

wolfright

Patron
lulu that is hysterical. :happydance:

I guess I could just go to the local Michael's or Joanne's and buy those little letter squares, string em on a necklace saying "X S O".... :eyeroll: