What's new

South African Independent Scientology blog hosts essay by critic Chris Shelton

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
South African Independent Scientology blog hosts essay by critic Chris Shelton.

Chris's essay is, as always, excellent, but what I found additionally important is that it is being hosted by the South African Independent Scientology blog Scientologists getting back in comm.

Such posting evidences what I've seen as the dialogue on that blog between the conservative, KSW, Miletone Twoish group and the more open-minded and liberal group.

A change will do you good
http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/a-change-will-do-you-good/#more-2398

Excerpt:
“Progress is impossible without change,and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything” – George Bernard Shaw

Looking at the ex-Scientology community, the blogs and video channels and Facebook groups, I would say that I have put out my fair share of articles and videos about the abuses and darker sides of the Scientology experience.

Frankly, there has been so much to say that I haven’t yet suffered from anything like writer’s block. Scientology is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to oppression, deception and abuse.

But there is a point to all this and it’s not just to be a critic for the rest of my life. These articles and the videos I make are a form of catharsis and as much as I’m informing and helping others, I’ve also been helping myself.

Given that my life is about to take a dramatic turn for the better, with yet another huge change taking place right now as I write this, I thought I’d take a few moments to talk about how my life has changed for the better since I left Scientology last year.

It can’t really be said enough, so let me start off by again saying that life is so much better now that I’m not a Scientologist. I’m writing this for those who may have also recently (or not so recently) come out of a cult-like environment. Maybe my experiences with this can help you too.

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
I'm personally hoping that some people in the SA area will have come along further on the stages of decompression and will not see what I wrote as an attack against them or their beliefs. There really is life after Scientogy and it really is much better not having L. Ron Hubbard dictating your beliefs.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
Excellent article, Chris – and one that has a lot of application to all our lives, even a never-in-COS like myself.

stanczyk

Patron
Fascinating responses on that thread now with over 50 comments, the vast majority thanking Chris and admitting that, like him, they have a similar opinion and have moved (or are moving) away from the subject entirely. Indeed there are only a couple of people expressing disappointment and both I think are members of the Milestone 2 brigade.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the great response Chris has got and suspect that we will see that blog moving further and further away from the scientology viewpoint despite there still being some light moderation of what I suspect are the more vehemently anti LRH comments.