SP Times - IRS should review Scientology tax-exempt status - Editorial 21 Nov 11

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
A Times Editorial

IRS should review Scientology tax-exempt status
St. Petersburg Times ·
Monday, November 21, 2011

The curtain shielding the Church of Scientology's high-pressure fundraising
in Clearwater and elsewhere has been raised, and the view is not pretty. In
a revealing St. Petersburg Times series, former Scientology fundraisers
detail the coercive methods they used in their desperate efforts to meet
weekly quotas. Former church members describe how they were repeatedly
harassed into making contributions and buying Scientology materials they
could not reasonably afford. The revelations warrant a review by the
Internal Revenue Service of Scientology's practices and a debate in Congress
about requiring more openness from religious institutions about their
finances.

The Times' series by Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin offers an unprecedented
inside look at Scientology's continuous money machine and the strategies
used to keep it humming. Scientology brings in $100 million a year just from
services sold in Clearwater, and former fundraiser Hy Levy recounted being
paid $50 a week for years to meet weekly sales targets of $200,000 and
higher. Former church members recounted how they were intimidated into
giving money by repeated phone calls, unexpected visits to their homes and
intimidating encounters on church property. Church officials say they are
"very proud'' of the donations and insist the contributions are voluntarily
made by members who want to support the organization. That characterization
is at odds with the first-hand accounts by the former fundraisers and donors
in the Times series.

continues HERE

Gadfly

Crusader
From the same artice:

"Despite the church's claims to the contrary, Scientology does not appear to be the organization it claimed to be when the IRS granted it the coveted tax-exempt status in the 1990s."

So true, and it should not be difficult to "prove" either.

I will fly in and attend the VERY BIG PARTY held right in front of 210 N. Fort Harrison Ave. in Clearwater when their tax exempt status is finally, and duly, reviewed and REVOKED :thumbsup:

In these difficult economic times especially, I would think that various cities and counties would all be in favor of collecting the taxes they TRULY DESERVE from the "church" of Scientology.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Recently, Keith Henson asked Marty Rathbun about the IRS deal on Rathbun's Blog, 26 September, 2011:

"Marty... as I recall, you were there. If not part of the original project that corrupted the IRS in 1991. IIRC, you and DM marched past a startled secretary and into Fred Goldberg's office.

"Wikipedia used to say:

" 'Allegedly, Church officials, including David Miscavige, paid private investigators to acquire some unspecified compromising information on Goldberg during his time as commissioner, and then strode into his office without an appointment one day to demand terms. The meeting was not listed on Goldberg's appointment calendar, which was obtained by the New York Times through the Freedom of Information Act.'

"Leading up to that meeting was two years of work by PIs Michael L. Shomers and Thomas J. Krywucki.

"Wonder what you could fill in on what they did?"

And Rathbun blew him off by responding:

"Keith, yeah, I am all powerful."

"On April 26, 2001, Keith Henson had been convicted for 'interfering with a religion', for picketing outside Scientology's heavily armed, razor-wire enclosed base outside Hemet, California." http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/henson1.html

If Marty Rathbun ever decides to reveal what he knows about the IRS "settlement," and the events leading up to that "settlement," it could be of great assistance. So far, he has said very little.

In 1993, after more than 20 years of harassment and possible blackmail, the IRS, almost overnight, reversed itself.

One difficulty with an investigation is that the IRS may have its own dirty laundry to cover up, as its "settlement" with Scientology was improper and it knows it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1PkZ81gn4

Some doctrinal background:

Excerpt from 1960 HCOPL 'Department of Government Affairs':

"If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization [an attack also including such things as the expectation that one pay taxes, not commit fraud, not practice de facto slave labor, etc.], always find or manufacture [see L. Ron Hubbard's extensive 'Fair Game' Tech, for 'tricking, suing, lying, and destroying' its many real or imagined 'enemies'] enough threat against them to get them to sue for peace....

"The goal of the Department [of Special Affairs] is to bring the government and hostile philosophies or societies into a state of complete compliance... This is done by high level ability to control [including use of 'ARC', of 'celebrities', image-enhancing front groups such as 'The Way to Happiness Foundation', and PR groups such as the 'Volunteer Ministers'] and in its absence by low level ability to overwhelm [Application of Scientology's overt and covert 'Attack' - Fair Game - Tech]. Introvert such agencies. Control such agencies. [and groups and individuals]"

Lure Rob & Hyde

Patron with Honors
Very good point you made that leaves me to grapple with the fact that all these "Charitable Donations " must be being prompted by ASI (Author Sevices Inc) the for profit entity that rules the Church of Greed .
The steep royalties and extragavent fees for use of their "scriptures " are sucked out from the 'religious" non profit entities by clever manouvers of the ASI entity.
Is this being done by issuing non tracebale orders and demands on the non profits in the illegal criss cross of their tax exempt structure .
The IRS must have an inkling of it and looking the other way as I see it in my opinion.

Question is why ?

It may well be related to why the church of greed got tax exempt status.

Is this Rathbun player another idiot who was used for a specfic action then disposed of when he was of no more use and kept out of the real top echelon of the beneficiaries of the ill gotten monies????

Is there a voracious money hungry unkown entity that must be running the show above or beside all this sordid quasi religious structure.

Miscavidge can't help but to lead us to this answer as he has crossed a too many legal lines of corporate structure in his machinations .

Why does not the RICO ACT apply here?

A Times Editorial

IRS should review Scientology tax-exempt status
St. Petersburg Times ·
Monday, November 21, 2011

The curtain shielding the Church of Scientology's high-pressure fundraising
in Clearwater and elsewhere has been raised, and the view is not pretty. In
a revealing St. Petersburg Times series, former Scientology fundraisers
detail the coercive methods they used in their desperate efforts to meet
weekly quotas. Former church members describe how they were repeatedly
harassed into making contributions and buying Scientology materials they
could not reasonably afford. The revelations warrant a review by the
Internal Revenue Service of Scientology's practices and a debate in Congress
about requiring more openness from religious institutions about their
finances.

The Times' series by Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin offers an unprecedented
inside look at Scientology's continuous money machine and the strategies
used to keep it humming. Scientology brings in $100 million a year just from
services sold in Clearwater, and former fundraiser Hy Levy recounted being
paid $50 a week for years to meet weekly sales targets of $200,000 and
higher. Former church members recounted how they were intimidated into
giving money by repeated phone calls, unexpected visits to their homes and
intimidating encounters on church property. Church officials say they are
"very proud'' of the donations and insist the contributions are voluntarily
made by members who want to support the organization. That characterization
is at odds with the first-hand accounts by the former fundraisers and donors
in the Times series.

continues HERE

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
marty has consistently failed to do anything except mouth off about Miscavige. After all he claims that Miscavige is a really bad guy so obviously the whole IRS thing was totally bogus so why doesn't he just expose him? but there again why don't he and Rinder lead the charge to convict the cofs as a corrupt organization?

Why would any of us be surprised about it? He and rinder have all the appeal of a road kill skunk.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Recently, Keith Henson asked Marty Rathbun about the IRS deal on Rathbun's Blog, 26 September, 2011:

"Marty... as I recall, you were there. If not part of the original project that corrupted the IRS in 1991. IIRC, you and DM marched past a startled secretary and into Fred Goldberg's office.

"Wikipedia used to say:

" 'Allegedly, Church officials, including David Miscavige, paid private investigators to acquire some unspecified compromising information on Goldberg during his time as commissioner, and then strode into his office without an appointment one day to demand terms. The meeting was not listed on Goldberg's appointment calendar, which was obtained by the New York Times through the Freedom of Information Act.'

"Leading up to that meeting was two years of work by PIs Michael L. Shomers and Thomas J. Krywucki.

"Wonder what you could fill in on what they did?"

And Rathbun blew him off by responding:

snip

"

Krywucki....my memory was jarred by this one... here is what fell out:

Keith told me about this, what I recall is that Keith said Krywucki had been hired to retrieve a video tape of an IRS commissioner in a sex act....

Another factoid:

Another PI who worked for the public defenders office who was representing an person whose parents were with Hubbard in Pheonix, who had been helping me back in 1995 - a person who had been targeted by the local police...(im not going into the whole long, incredible, story....) had this tidbit to offer:

"Scientology has a reputation for hiring more call girls than any other entity in washington DC" < that was the gist of his quote...

Re Fred Goldberg. Brian Haney was digging into the IRS agreement... until he settled his lawsuit with Brian Zwan for a rumored 50 million dollars for his Digital Lightwave Stock options... When he settled there was a list of names on the settlement document, that stated than Mr Haney agreed to never give any financial assistance to: (list of ten or perhaps 12 names). The names included Robert Minton, Gerry Armstrong, Lawrence Wollersheim, Arnie Lerma - Im not sure of the rest of the names...) and to walk away from scientology war...

Before he signed this, we would chat from time to time and he told me the following in a telephone call... he said he had a contact who was a partner in the lawfirm that currently employed Fred Goldberg.. And that Mr Goldberg was asked by the partner, in the partners office, about the IRS settllement with scientology. Mr Goldberg responded with "One more word and I will tender my resignation"

--------another source, whom I cannot name

A man who I trust explicitly, who taught me how to do research(note), who at one time worked in the US Inspector General's office of the Dept of Treasury's Internal Revenue Service, told me (1993) "Half the governing board of Commissioners of the IRS were NY Jews, and the other half are Chicago Mobsters"

--------Tom Marcellus

1993 - Mr. Willis Carto (Liberty Lobby, The Spotlight, IHR) suspected AIPAC must have been involved, because the crown jewels of his empire was the funding from a bequethment from Mr Thomas Alva Edison, (the light bulb) that was tied to IHR.. which was seized by a Scientologist who spent 15 years working his way up in the organization from being the copy boy, to become his #1 man who "held the keys to the kingdom"... Control of The Thomas Edison endowment that funded his whole operation - NOTE: This was before the net, he was writing about The federal reserve and the murders of US sailors in the Israeli attack on the USS LIberty for YEARS before there even was a net... So he had powerful enemies. During Scientology's 50+ lawsuits against the IRS and its agents, HE, Willis Carto and his organization, printed the dirt that scientology's lawyers had found from their discovery, interrogatories, and depositions... in his newspaper, The Spotlight. I pointed out to him that a key lawyer that was litigating him (while Scientologist Tom Marcellus was his #1 man "with access to everything") named Heller was in fact a director for CST! (Lawrence Heller) The day that Scientologist Tom Marcellus seized control of the Thomas Edison endowment thru his takeover of the assets of IHR, What are the odds this is mere chance??? (keep reading)

--------

In 2001 I was told by an ex scientologist who I hope reads this and tells the story, that she was taken by her scientologist father TO the Sea organization and forced to join, after she told him, when she was 14 or 15 that she had been dating (and having sex with) the 18 year old son of the Southern California IRS Commissioner.

Note: In my 2 decades on the net I have only once used an anonymous remailer...And it was during the Clinton Whitewater (mena arkansas) Investigation, before the scientology war, when the news was filled with the fact that someone had leaked a copy of the Whitewater Investigation to then president Clinton, - who was implicated by investigation, which had something to do with Clinton, while Governor, giving permission for the use of the Mena Arkansas Airport to be used for drug smuggling.. Everyone wanted to know WHO leaked it to the white house.. While this was raging in the news, I got a call from my mentor, who asked for me to post the WHO anonymously, so I did, The man's name was Cesca, he was Inspector General for the US Dept of the treasury I believe, a week after I made that anonymous posting to alt.conspiracy and a few other newsgroups, he retired.

It was research done under the guidance and direction of this brilliant man, that was published by our anti-corruption reform group, called "VIA Volunteers for an independent arlington" that resulted in Arlington Virginia's Judge F.J. Ceresi going into retirement, which resulted in the county board appointing one of their boyz on the County Board to the Judgeship. We found his wife in a partnership, buying properties that the county would later acquire.. flipping them for tens of thousands of profit back when ten grand was a lot of money...with inside info from the County Manager.. Because the County Board now had one empty seat, they called a special election. Unbeknownst to them I had organized the remnants of the Perot Movement (I was D/Coordinator for Arlington) and remnants of the Patriot Party of Virginia which I, and a couple of good old boys in southern virginia founded and we later scuttled, into a precinct organization. My precinct map was later used by Arlington County. And I got a political appointment as a Director for Arlington County Community Television, (ACT) after I managed the campaign, crafted the slogans, directed the adverts, and got a paint salesman from Sears named Benjamin Winslow elected as our man on the county board...Outspent ten to one, in a county of 411,000 - we won by 171 votes....and then I thought I was smart enough to take on scientology...1994

Thanks for shaking the memory tree Veda...

Last edited:
After all he claims that Miscavige is a really bad guy so obviously the whole IRS thing was totally bogus so why doesn't he just expose him?
Isn't it obvious they have enough s**t on each other, that neither dares to be the first to pull the trigger?

Mimsy

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
Why would Rathbun help getting the tax exemption revoked? That would cost time and money to have it reinstated once he's in charge.

From the same artice:

"Despite the church's claims to the contrary, Scientology does not appear to be the organization it claimed to be when the IRS granted it the coveted tax-exempt status in the 1990s."

So true, and it should not be difficult to "prove" either.

I will fly in and attend the VERY BIG PARTY held right in front of 210 N. Fort Harrison Ave. in Clearwater when their tax exempt status is finally, and duly, reviewed and REVOKED :thumbsup:

In these difficult economic times especially, I would think that various cities and counties would all be in favor of collecting the taxes they TRULY DESERVE from the "church" of Scientology.

I know that our County would love to collect the full taxes on the million dollar buildings and properties comprising INT Base in California! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Last edited:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
To convince IRS' key people to even consider the subject would take OSA-like effort/actions. From a reverse vector. I would love to be proved wrong. But I am afraid I am right.
It's politics and money. Lots of money. Also, PR - things like celebrities, political connections, human rights, religion and more, combined. And more money.

Last edited: