What's new

SPs Discussing Pasadena being Dead

justsayin'

Patron with Honors
sorry if i'm hijacking again. (i can stop!)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0695367/bio

http://www.peoplefinders.com/search...mn=&ln=prather&city=los angeles&state=CA&age=

Date of Birth
17 October 1950, Dallas, Texas, USA

Mini Biography
Slim, lovely, and beguiling brunette Joan Prather was born on October 17, 1950 in Dallas, Texas. Joan was a varsity cheerleader at Highland Park High School in her native Dallas and first began acting in grade school stage productions. Moreover, Prather was a regular on the teen dance show "Somethin' Else" during her high school years. She graduated from Highland Park High in 1968. Joan started acting in various films and TV shows in 1973. Her most memorable movie roles are demure, but eager virgin Lola in "The Single Girls," stuck-up rich heiress Jane Kingston in "Big Bad Mama," and naive beauty pageant contestant Robin in "Smile." Prather achieved her greatest enduring popularity with her recurring part as Janet McArthur Bradford on the hit sitcom "Eight Is Enough." In addition, Joan has made guest appearances on episodes of such TV series as "Sanford and Son," "Happy Days," "The Love Boat," "CHiPs," and "Fantasy Island." Prather quit acting in the late 80s. She's married to lawyer Douglas J. Frye and lives in Malibu, California. In September, 2008 Prather was arrested for felony hit-and-run in Malibu, California and was released on $50,000 dollars bail.

IMDb Mini Biography By: woodyanders

Spouse
Douglas J. Frye (? - ?)

Trivia
Attended Highland Park High School, Dallas, Texas. Graduated 1968.

During her high school years, she was a regular on a teen T.V. show, "Somethin' Else", which was telecast on the local ABC affiliate station in Dallas, WFAA-TV.

Varsity cheerleader at Highland Park High School.

She recruited John Travolta to Scientology.

Husband Douglas J. Frye is a practicing attorney and partner in the law firm of Frye and Hsieh in Los Angeles.

Joan is the half-sister of bestselling self-help author Hugh Prather (1938-2010).

In September, 2008 Prather was charged with felony hit-and-run in Malibu, California; she was arrested and released on $50,000 dollars bail.

Where Are They Now
(September 2008) Was arrested for felony hit-and-run in Malibu, California and released on $50,000 dollars bail.

A

Annonny

I guess it's great news that the Pasadena center is empty, but it's of a major concern that the CoS is moving to the developing worlds countries. For example, they are present in Croatia and Russia and I think are trying to enter South East Asia. That's a major concern. Many people in the developing worlds do not have access to the internet, or are even illetarate and are some what more gullible, because of their lack of education. It's going to be much more difficult to kick Scientology out of those countries.

sorry if i'm hijacking again. (i can stop!)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0695367/bio

http://www.peoplefinders.com/search...mn=&ln=prather&city=los angeles&state=CA&age=

Date of Birth
17 October 1950, Dallas, Texas, USA

Mini Biography
Slim, lovely, and beguiling brunette Joan Prather was born on October 17, 1950 in Dallas, Texas. Joan was a varsity cheerleader at Highland Park High School in her native Dallas and first began acting in grade school stage productions. Moreover, Prather was a regular on the teen dance show "Somethin' Else" during her high school years. She graduated from Highland Park High in 1968. Joan started acting in various films and TV shows in 1973. Her most memorable movie roles are demure, but eager virgin Lola in "The Single Girls," stuck-up rich heiress Jane Kingston in "Big Bad Mama," and naive beauty pageant contestant Robin in "Smile." Prather achieved her greatest enduring popularity with her recurring part as Janet McArthur Bradford on the hit sitcom "Eight Is Enough."
Attended Highland Park High School, Dallas, Texas. Graduated 1968.

During her high school years, she was a regular on a teen T.V. show, "Somethin' Else", which was telecast on the local ABC affiliate station in Dallas, WFAA-TV.

Varsity cheerleader at Highland Park High School.

She recruited John Travolta to Scientology.

Joan is the half-sister of bestselling self-help author Hugh Prather (1938-2010).

Smile was terrific. That's a movie that I had totally forgotten about. A disc jockey that I used to listen to, Dick McGarvin was in it.

Joannie knew where she was going at a very young age. She had her mother put her in dance classes from the start.

lkwdblds

Crusader
Also, the 3rd world Countries are good for recruiting.

I guess it's great news that the Pasadena center is empty, but it's of a major concern that the CoS is moving to the developing worlds countries. For example, they are present in Croatia and Russia and I think are trying to enter South East Asia. That's a major concern. Many people in the developing worlds do not have access to the internet, or are even illetarate and are some what more gullible, because of their lack of education. It's going to be much more difficult to kick Scientology out of those countries.

Very good points about the population being illiterate and more guillible due to their lack of education.

In addition, consider how much easier it is to recruit staff at extremely low pay levels. In a Western highly developed country with of minimum wage set at around $8 an hour or $320 a week plus time and a half for overtime, if the S.O. offers $40 or $50 a week, they expose themselves for being challenged in court for violating minimum wage laws. Their religious exemption is all that they have to save their neck in court.

CONSIDER A 3RD WORD COUNTRY WHERE $30 A WEEK MAY BE THE GOING RATE!! In a 3rd world country, the $40 or $50 a week offered by the S.O. may actually be considered as a well paying job, no?
Lakey

Last edited:
A

Annonny

Very good points about the population being illiterate and more guillible due to their lack of education.

In addition, consider how much easier it is to recruit staff at extremely low pay levels. In a Western highly developed country with of minimum wage set at around $8 an hour or $320 a week plus time and a half for overtime, if the S.O. offers $40 or $50 a week, they expose themselves for being challenged in court for violating minimum wage laws. Their religious esemption is all that they have to save their neck in court.

CONSIDER A 3RD WORD COUNTRY WHERE $30 A WEEK MAY BE THE GOING RATE!! In a 3rd world country, the $40 or $50 a week offered by the S.O. may actually be considered as a well paying job, no?
Lakey

Exactly!
I mean they can get a lot of slave labour in a third world country. But what they won't be able to get is a lot of money to be paid for their courses.
Though countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Croatia, Brazil, China have plenty of millionairs and middle class.
Scary!

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Sometimes it helps to keep ones eye on what they are doing instead of getting too far out there.

They still have people on the RFF. They still pay Sea Org members far below a decent wage, if they ever leave charge them for all the training and processing at retail they ever had, medical and health care at minimum, no insurance, no retirement,.............there is so much that IS being done that surely there is room to pay a little attention to that and worry less about the possibility that they might buy UFOs?

A

Annonny

Sometimes it helps to keep ones eye on what they are doing instead of getting too far out there.

They still have people on the RFF. They still pay Sea Org members far below a decent wage, if they ever leave charge them for all the training and processing at retail they ever had, medical and health care at minimum, no insurance, no retirement,.............there is so much that IS being done that surely there is room to pay a little attention to that and worry less about the possibility that they might buy UFOs?

Well, they ARE opening centers in Croatia and Russia, that's the problem. They are feeling the heat in the West and are moving to new unsuspecting places.

As for RPFs - I fail to understand how the CoS manages to get away with it on American and/or Australian soil. I know, I'm naive, because I was never inside, but there must people who are held inside against their will who want out. So if the police would conduct a raid on the facility, those poeople might express their desire to leave to the police.
I mean in the Jonestown the whole mass suicide incident was provoked, after numerous members spoke out and said they want to leave. OK, not the greatest example in terms of the outcome, but why doesn't the police raid RPFs?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Well, they ARE opening centers in Croatia and Russia, that's the problem. They are feeling the heat in the West and are moving to new unsuspecting places.

As for RPFs - I fail to understand how the CoS manages to get away with it on American and/or Australian soil. I know, I'm naive, because I was never inside, but there must people who are held inside against their will who want out. So if the police would conduct a raid on the facility, those poeople might express their desire to leave to the police.
I mean in the Jonestown the whole mass suicide incident was provoked, after numerous members spoke out and said they want to leave. OK, not the greatest example in terms of the outcome, but why doesn't the police raid RPFs?

On a chat board, it is difficult to do more than hit a few bullit points of what could be a whole book.

Police need probable cause.

There are people that believe they need to do the RPF - and NO DOUBT some want to leave. But to get them to put what they feel is their spiritual freedom for an eternity on the line?

Jonestown was not exactly a mass suicide. Do some research.

A church can avoid many laws - like minimum wage - and sweep a lot of things under the "religious" rug that certainly look like civil rights abuses to most outsiders.

scio has long since been hiring in 3 rd world countries for grunt workers in the sea org. That will continue unabated until they get shut down for human trafficing.

False work visas abound - needs investigated.

Somebody who has the facts needs to go to law enforcement with them - rumors will not get things made right.

A

Annonny

On a chat board, it is difficult to do more than hit a few bullit points of what could be a whole book.

Police need probable cause.

There are people that believe they need to do the RPF - and NO DOUBT some want to leave. But to get them to put what they feel is their spiritual freedom for an eternity on the line?

Jonestown was not exactly a mass suicide. Do some research.

A church can avoid many laws - like minimum wage - and sweep a lot of things under the "religious" rug that certainly look like civil rights abuses to most outsiders.

scio has long since been hiring in 3 rd world countries for grunt workers in the sea org. That will continue unabated until they get shut down for human trafficing.

False work visas abound - needs investigated.

Somebody who has the facts needs to go to law enforcement with them - rumors will not get things made right.

As you said - a whole book can be written about the topic. I have done research about Jonestown. I know that people were forced to drink the kool aid with armed guards standing around. But it is still labelled in history books as mass suicide.
Anyway, back to our topic - how much more probable cause does the police need than "I was a prisoner in this place just a few months ago, I was illegally detailed, I was abused, made to run around in circles, I was sleep deprived and otherwise abused. I know there are more people detailed in this illegal detention centre". That's probable cause.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
As you said - a whole book can be written about the topic. I have done research about Jonestown. I know that people were forced to drink the kool aid with armed guards standing around. But it is still labelled in history books as mass suicide.
Anyway, back to our topic - how much more probable cause does the police need than "I was a prisoner in this place just a few months ago, I was illegally detailed, I was abused, made to run around in circles, I was sleep deprived and otherwise abused. I know there are more people detailed in this illegal detention centre". That's probable cause.

Is that your personal opinion or a legal opinion from someone who has the legal power to issue a search warrant in the district where this is happening?

And, do you know a person who is willing to go to the authorities and make the statement you quoted above ?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Look, it is not a question of does the church violate laws and civil rights.

Yes, they do. The difficulty is getting someone to file a complaint and get the authorites to go onto church property to enforce the damn law.

And if they get on the property after a complaint is taken out and they enter to have someone step forward and say " I'm being held against my will " and file a complaint.

What WE on the outside would NOT tolerate is day to day routine to a cult member - and when dealing with heavily indoctrated cult members that think that are on the forefront of the only salvation of mankind and the window is closing on all humanity?

Tell me again, how a cult member is going to side with the evil wog law enforcement and judicial system against all mankinds only hope for all eternity ?

Yes the cult needs to be taken down. It requires a way to that. Anon is working. The net is working. Books are working. Lots is working. More needs to be done.

We all need to hear workable solutions keep damaging the cult until it ends.

A

Annonny

Is that your personal opinion or a legal opinion from someone who has the legal power to issue a search warrant in the district where this is happening?

And, do you know a person who is willing to go to the authorities and make the statement you quoted above ?

I happen to be a criminal lawyer, though not in the relevant jurisdictions.
So yes, it's my legal opinion.
I don't know anyone who is willing to make such a statement, but then again, I don't personally know any scientologists (only through Internet connections and through Anons).
I gather from what you're saying that it's not the police that pose the problem, but rather the lack of people willing to file a complaint.

In any case, I think I would stop this conversation right now. I really didn't mean anything bad by my posts, Scientology abuses worry me and I'm trying to do what's in my power to help. But I'm not incredily interested in having agitated discussions.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I don't know anyone who is willing to make such a statement, but then again, I don't personally know any scientologists (only through Internet connections and through Anons).
I gather from what you're saying that it's not the police that pose the problem, but rather the lack of people willing to file a complaint.

In any case, I think I would stop this conversation right now. I really didn't mean anything bad by my posts, Scientology abuses worry me and I'm trying to do what's in my power to help. But I'm not incredily interested in having agitated discussions.

Not trying to agitated, just trying to point out the difficulties faced in trying to get someone on the inside to tell the truth.

Most of us " know of " things that happened and also know the people involved would lie under oath to protect the group.

And you'll see posted "yeah but so and so got on the stand and lied lied lied..."

think of it as a "battered spouse"

does she press charges?

no

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Good points, one and all. 20 staff? Where? We only saw 2 or 3 at 7 when we arrived, and no more at 9 when we left. I've been by there many times, going to the movies in Pasadena...and I've yet to see 20 "bodies in the shop" (Their term, not mine)----so where are these famous 20?

T Magoo....

20 is max estimated number of staff that come in to work, but that includes some kids that occasionally show up in uniform who look to be about 14. Includes part timers that sometimes show up evenings or weekends.

The actual number of staff that appear to be there at any one given time looks to be around 10. That's the bad news. The really huge win however is that the ratio of staff to public is phenomenally high. Highest ever in fact.

10:1 or sometimes 10:0.

That's why Ideal Orgs are famous for their quality of service! :D

lkwdblds

Crusader
Exactly!
I mean they can get a lot of slave labour in a third world country. But what they won't be able to get is a lot of money to be paid for their courses.
Though countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Croatia, Brazil, China have plenty of millionairs and middle class.
Scary!

Perhhaps that is why Int Management decided to shift to making their big money as brokers in real estate rather than in selling training and processing. They are probably piloting the real estate program to see how it is going. The pilot seems to have really got going in the early to middle years of the last decade. They got in a few years where all was going according to schedule. Then they hit one of the worst real estate collapses in history so in effect they picked a bad time to test the market. Even so, since their funds come from donations, the program is designed so that they can't lose.

Sometimes I feel like a fly on the wall over at Int Management. They are being forced out of the industrialized countries by having their religious exemptions challenged and they do just great in the third world countries but as you point out, the broad masses of the people in the 3rd world can not afford services, any services at all. Even a simple comm course is probably 1 to 2 months pay in those countries. Therefore, they need to mainly go just for the rich and wealthy similar to the way they go after celebrities in the Western World.

They are being faced with many dilemmas as a business, which is what they are. The things they are coming up with are really interesting. Sometimes, one can sense the desparation behind some of their moves.
Lakey

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
serious love bombing

T Magoo....

20 is max estimated number of staff that come in to work, but that includes some kids that occasionally show up in uniform who look to be about 14. Includes part timers that sometimes show up evenings or weekends.

The actual number of staff that appear to be there at any one given time looks to be around 10. That's the bad news. The really huge win however is that the ratio of staff to public is phenomenally high. Highest ever in fact.

10:1 or sometimes 10:0.

That's why Ideal Orgs are famous for their quality of service! :D

That being the case, if they ever get a newbie walking in, that newbie will get absolutely huge validation and love bombing ... until the redging starts ... and then it will be overwhelm to 1 odds that somebody gets induced to max out some plastic!

Pete

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
That being the case, if they ever get a newbie walking in, that newbie will get absolutely huge validation and love bombing ... until the redging starts ... and then it will be overwhelm to 1 odds that somebody gets induced to max out some plastic!

Pete

Hilarious and spot on.

The Mission I got recruited into as a pc had ONLY me for most of the time.

The place (very nice because Gary Fishman was a diamond business millionaire and spared no expense) had a staff of about 6 and I only saw one other pc getting services--this beautiful place appeared like Brigadoon and was gone three years after that. I don't know if that's typical of missions. Gary's wife was an ex-ballerina and smart as a whip. She shepherded me through everything for quite a long time. I wonder where she and Gary are now.

I'm trying not to "believe" in anything these days, but sometimes the place and the people who hooked me seem to have been so perfect for the purpose that it seems like fate. :unsure:

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
addenda

I had weird working hours, though, so I'm sure the mission had many more people after 5 pm. Maybe if I'd been lucky enough to go in the evening and had witnessed lovebombing interactions with other pcs, I'd have caught on to the con.

But probably not.

Jump

Operating teatime
< snip >

HOW ABOUT THE FIRST SCN HOSPITAL?
< ... > Just imagine, Hubbard Memorial Hospital serving both Scios in need of treatment as well as the lait public!

Scientology: Milking the public for all they got! :whistling:

Thats a joke for the Québécois :)