CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Another review.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=17868&tab=reviews

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

REVIEW BY BETSY ZAJKO

JUNE 15, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

WHAT I LIKED

This show is personable, funny, immersive, and powerful. Cathy is a force and a delight taking us on a ride of her 20 year entanglement with Scientology including a bizarre audition to be Tom Cruises wife. As a young and very successful voice actress in pre internet days attempting to do good in the world, she enrolls in a small series self improvement classes which eventually have her rising in the secret ranks of what she doesn’t realize is a cult until she arrives at the world headquarters to a classified lesson about alien cosmology. Her daughter’s innocent remarks that the leaders have been teaching children about leaving their parents finally provides the shock and horror for her to get out. With complete wit and grace, we watch her coming to terms with the fact that nearly $900,000 and decades of her life have been sacrificed to false beliefs. Amazing.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

I would have liked a q&a…the conversations this opened up were extremely fruitful.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

I’d see it again.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Another review.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18215&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY JAMES SCHNEIDER

JUNE 18, 2016

tagged as: excellent · sassy · expert · harrowing · funny

WHAT I LIKED

Funny, fearless, and sometimes freaky. Cathy Schenks comes out of the ring with gloves off, the heart wide open and her head in a good place. Amazingly, she is able to recount with amusing and disturbing detail her very specific journey with the followers of ‘LRH’ and Scientology. Yikes! As her dollars fly out of the window, the placemark for happiness keeps getting moved further down the field by those who know ‘best.’ In the hands of Shenks and director Shirley Anderson, this harrowing story could itself have gone done the wrong path. But, happily, the story is told with large doses of humor, and a complete lack of self-pity. Though I’ve known Cathy a bit over the years, I’d never seen her perform on stage. Her sass and physical ease suggest someone you might see in a first-rate sit com (like some missing star of ‘Friends’). But her ability to relay the personal devastation amid her emotional rollercoaster is as powerful as anything you might see. Really excellent work.

The house at 11pm was full. I was concerned because for me — when a show starts after 10pm, there’s a high probability that I will not stay awake. There are witnesses. Happy to report that I had no trouble staying alert and engaged the entire show.

A fabulous trip back to Earth.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

11pm time slot can be a toughie…

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

Really excellent work. A fabulous trip back to Earth. Wonderful performance packed with humor and heart. Powerful story that shouldn’t be missed.

CommunicatorIC

Columnist Skip Press reviews Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology

Columnist Skip Press reviews Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18189&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY SKIP PRESS

JUNE 18, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

WHAT I LIKED

Cathy managed to explain the whole $cientology maze in a funny, sad, touching, ridiculous, brilliant way so that even if you knew nothing about the evil cult that calls itself a religion, you’d get how absurd, mindless, and irritating it is from start to finish. I only wish the show had been longer, with an intermission. Her energy level was great but she must have been exhausted. Kudos!

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

I liked all of it.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

This is the best stage expose of a normal (but very talented) person being taken in and lied to by $cientology that I’ve ever seen.

CommunicatorIC

Another review.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18286&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY ABBY SCHACHNER

JUNE 18, 2016

tagged as: I wish all Scientologists would see this · important · timely · great direction · talented · powerful

WHAT I LIKED

Cathy takes us into the world of Scientology and gives us a glimpse behind the outfits and the real estate. Her voices are spot on ( she is a voice-over artist after all ), her timing is superb, and it’s really a chock-full of information show about cathy’s life and that big blue building on Sunset Boulevard, not to mention, the people ( and methods) within. not only that, but I love how they put the numbers of the on the wall of her expenditures, and honestly, her dialogue work ( representing different characters ) was great.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

The only thing I didn’t like was the heat in the theater. Other than that, Cathy came out and pretty much owned the stage.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

Cathy is a top-notch performer and really likable person who got swept up in Scientology. i’m glad she’s out, and I’m glad she’s telling her story. With the help of great direction by Shirley Anderson, Cathy’s show is tight, RICH, and I have a feeling this could be a two or three parter!

CommunicatorIC

"An absolutely fascinating telling of a modern nightmare."

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18475&tab=reviews

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

REVIEW BY BILL RATNER

JUNE 19, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

WHAT I LIKED

Cathy is a brilliant multifaceted performer, and she tells a fascinating, harrowing story – – a cross between a fairytale and a brutal nightmare. To watch her live through this is truly worthy theatrical spectacle.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

An absolutely fascinating telling of a modern nightmare. Sounds like sci-fi, but this is real.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Edge Media Networks Review of Squeeze My Cans

Edge Media Networks Review of Squeeze My Cans.

Squeeze My Cans
by Kevin Taft
Contributor
Monday Jun 20, 2016

http://www.edgemedianetwork.com/?199472

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

A successful voice-over actress, she has performed in musical theatre, TV, and spoken-word. It's unfortunate that we lost many years of her talent when Scientology took her away from her passion and told her she could act in her "next life." We should be thankful she got away, but even more so that she can now offer a personal glimpse (and warning) into the hell she endured. But it's how she has fought her way out risen like a Phoenix since that is the most inspiring. And if Scientology has a problem with that, they might want to rethink their philosophies.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

"It’s a powerful tour-de-force!"

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18572&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY RICK HALL

JUNE 20, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

WHAT I LIKED

Cathy manages to tell a pretty dark and terrifying story about her spiral down the wormhole that is Scientology without getting maudlin or wallowing in it. We, the audience, even laughed out loud plenty. having said that, she doesn’t shy away from telling us some of the very personal, painful steps down the path and then back.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

There were times that I thought the show was paced too fast, I was hanging on to keep up and then I realized, duh, oh course we should feel like we are on a roller coaster. The story she is telling was a speeding train and she couldn’t get off.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

It’s a powerful tour-de-force!

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

"I hope to come back this coming weekend."

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=18581&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY SCOTT SANDOE

JUNE 20, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

tagged as: edgy · Raw · awesome · revealing · breathtaking

WHAT I LIKED

What an amazing journey to be taken on in a quick hour and twenty minutes! While most of us know at least a little bit about Scientology, very few know of the specifics – so to hear about it from someone who was so deeply into the program but managed to get out is amazing. Cathy Schenkelberg doesn’t come up for air and takes no prisoners in this wonderful solo piece, and I held my breath right along with her!

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

I think there is enough material here to warrant a full-length theatrical piece (at least), although I suspect the toll it would take on the performer might not be worth the risk.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

I hope to come back this coming weekend – there’s so much rich material here I want to be sure I got everything.

CommunicatorIC

Derek Bloch reviews Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology

Derek Bloch reviews Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=19155&tab=reviews

REVIEW BY DEREK BLOCH

JUNE 25, 2016 CERTIFIED REVIEWER

tagged as: Scientology · tom cruise

WHAT I LIKED

Cathy, First of all I just have to say, wow! Your show is incredibly moving. Of course for me, because we share something in common, having both been victimized by Scientology. Though we were taken advantage of in different ways, the effects it has had on our lives are not so different at all. Similarly, we didn’t let our selves stay victims. We have both overcome the tragedy that tried so hard to ruin our lives and made something of ourselves.

Now for the show. Right off the bat, demonstrating an auditing session. It’s been a long time since I felt that uncomfortable. It was a stark reminder of the craziness that I had suffered for 20 years. Though I never made it as “high up” the “bridge” as you did, so it was very, very interesting to get to see and understand what happens to someone when they are so deeply indoctrinated into the world of Xenu and alien space demon souls. I had no idea how badly it messed with you.

Watching the dollar signs building and building. So much money wasted away. You reminded me of the all around futility of the world of Scientology. How pointless it’s existence is and what a money pit it is! I would sit in the Church on L. Ron Hubbard Way and watch as much money be conned out of people in a week as you were conned out of the whole time you were in Scientology.

To listen to the things that your own daughter was saying to you, these horrible Scientologists trying to go behind your back and recruit her for the Sea Org. Jesus, Cathy. Thank you for being there for her and walking away from that with her. Thank you for not doing what my parents did and blaming me for being kidnapped by Sea Org members. Thank you for listening to your mothering instincts and the human side of you that told you people weren’t supposed to be treated this way.

The music, the lights, the characters that you played. They were all so perfectly timed, and so expertly presented. The “Scientologist” personality that you demonstrated for the audience was spot on. Anyone who hasn’t gone to see this is truly doing themselves a disservice. I knew you for a while in Scientology but i never really got to see your talent as a performer. I remember you doing voices and things for us, and how funny it was.

But to see you, in 80 short minutes, submerge an entire audience of people into Scientology was nothing short of awe inspiring. I have never seen a performance or a documentary or anything really, that was able to actually show what it was like to be a Scientologist. You showed everyone what that means, and with such poignant reflection in a very intimate setting.

I am so sorry for everything you went through. You are so brave to have walked away from it all, after investing so much of your life and so much of your money into this. Unlike my parents, you left to protect your daughter. That says so much about you as a person. I wish we had more time to spend together. I hope to catch you next time you’re in town so we can swap stories.

Love you, Cathy!

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

There wasn’t anything I didn’t like. The show was incredible!

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

The show was incredibly touching, and moving. It was an emotional roller coaster for sure. Cathy’s ability to play characters and immerse the audience in the world of Scientology was the most amazing part to me. As a former Scientologist myself it served as a stark reminder of the word from which I came. The horrible, horrible world that I was raised in.

CommunicatorIC

Artistic Director Kristen Boulé reviews the Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology

Artistic Director Kristen Boulé reviews the Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology.

Kristen Boulé is the Founding President and Artistic Director of 2Cents Theatre Group, a not for profit theatre company in residence at the beautiful Hudson Theatres on Theatre Row in Hollywood.

http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/3443?review_id=19173&tab=reviews

WHAT I LIKED

Everything, seriously.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

Nothing, for real.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION

I wanted to see this due to the subject matter. While that didn’t disappoint whatsoever, it was also the strength of the performer that made this such a much see. She is fantastic, both the story and the manner in which it is presented is fascinating, this is seriously not to be missed! This is the best of Fringe 2016, absolutely. See it!!!

CommunicatorIC

Rachael Meyers is director, co-producer & co-writer of the film Escape, based on the Scientology expose Blown for Good.

https://twitter.com/forceofnature__/status/747306747518345216

attachment.php

Attachments

• SqueezeMyCansRachaelMeyers.PNG
    SqueezeMyCansRachaelMeyers.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 69

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: Squeeze My Cans Sizzle Reel from Hollywood Fringe Closing Night June 26 2016

VIDEO: Squeeze My Cans Sizzle Reel from Hollywood Fringe Closing Night June 26 2016.

[video=vimeo;172934132]https://vimeo.com/172934132[/video]

CommunicatorIC

Trailer: Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology

Trailer: Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology.

[video=youtube;XcQoyxY9w_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQoyxY9w_s[/video]