What's new

Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology Returning to Chicago July 14-24

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology Returning to Chicago July 14-24.

Greenhouse Theater Center - Limited Engagements: Squeeze My Cans

http://www.greenhousetheater.org/#!solo-celebration/f4gho

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

“Squeeze My Cans”

Chicago Premier

Written and performed by Cathy Schenkelberg

Directed by Shirley Anderson

July 14-July 24, 2016

Limited Engagement

Have you ever wondered if Bozo was a suppressive person? Have you ever considered what it might be like to audition to be Tom Cruise’s girlfriend? What do you do if the carrot of spiritual freedom was dangled in front of you, waiting to be seized? Writer performer Cathy Schenkelberg decided to chase it and what she found was Scientology, America’s foremost intergalactic theology. After years of studying and searching she soon found herself blowing alien life forms off her body, farther from than ever from who she had hoped to be. Now she is sharing the story in this no holds barred cautionary tale of how she survived the pseudoscience.

Squeeze My Cans received its first developmental workshop production at Lifeline’s Filet of Solo Festival.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Returning to Chicago, this July 14-24!

A dozen solo shows slated for the Greenhouse Theater Center

A dozen performers will be flying solo at the Greenhouse Theater Center between June 2016 and February 2017.

It’s all part of “Solo Celebration!” the new Greenhouse initiative that will bring one-person plays by Chicago writers as well as work already seen Off Broadway and in London — to its facility at 2257 N. Lincoln, with creative teams that include both Jeff and Tony Award winners.

<snip>

Limited Engagments:

“Squeeze My Cans” (Jul 14-July 24): A Chicago premiere, written and performed by Cathy Schenkelberg and directed by Shirley Anderson. Have you ever wondered if Bozo was a suppressive person? Have you ever considered what it might be like to audition to be Tom Cruise’s girlfriend? What do you do if the “carrot of spiritual freedom” is dangled in front of you, waiting to be seized? Schenkelberg decided to chase it and what she found was Scientology, but after studying and searching to become “more herself” she found herself blowing alien life forms off her body and moving farther away than ever from the person she had hoped to be.

Source - http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/a-dozen-solo-shows-slated-for-the-greenhouse/

Cynthia Nixon, Phillip Dawkins, Brett Neveu part of 'Solo Celebration!'

The Greenhouse Theater Center on Tuesday announced the 12-play lineup for its inaugural "Solo Celebration!" series, including a Chicago premiere directed by "Sex and the City" star Cynthia Nixon and world premieres from local playwrights Phillip Dawkins and Brett Neveu. The series runs June-February.

<snip>

Two solo works will be presented in limited engagements during the summer. "Squeeze My Cans" (July 14-24), written and performed by Cathy Schenkelberg and directed by Shirley Anderson, follows one woman's otherworldly journey through Scientology.

Source - http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...hia-nixon-phillip-dawkins-20160412-story.html

Courtesy Failboat on WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/squeeze-my-cans-chicago-comedy-shows-2015-16.130583/#post-2579119

Last edited:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had trouble with prior links. Try this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...hia-nixon-phillip-dawkins-20160412-story.html

How fun! Lower on the page you will notice that in addition to "Squeeze My Cans" they also list this performance:

John Walch's "Circumference of a Squirrel" (Jan. 13-Feb. 12) follows. Jacob Harvey will direct the comedy about a squirrel, a man afraid of squirrels, and the circular cycle of abuse that dares to eclipse them both.

CommunicatorIC

I had trouble with prior links. Try this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...hia-nixon-phillip-dawkins-20160412-story.html

How fun! Lower on the page you will notice that in addition to "Squeeze My Cans" they also list this performance:

John Walch's "Circumference of a Squirrel" (Jan. 13-Feb. 12) follows. Jacob Harvey will direct the comedy about a squirrel, a man afraid of squirrels, and the circular cycle of abuse that dares to eclipse them both.
Thanks, links corrected. Copy and paste error.

CommunicatorIC

CHICAGO: SQUEEZE MY CANS Set for Greenhouse Theater's Solo Celebration.

Broadway World: SQUEEZE MY CANS Set for Greenhouse Theater's Solo Celebration

http://www.broadwayworld.com/chicag...Greenhouse-Theaters-Solo-Celebration-20160621

* * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The Greenhouse Theater's "Solo Celebration!" continues with "Squeeze My Cans," a limited engagement autobiographical solo-play written and performed by Cathy Schenkelberg and directed by Shirley Anderson. Making its Chicago premiere, Schenkelberg shares a glimpse behind the velvet curtain of Scientology in this strangely hilarious and unbelievable story of resilience, loss, and extraterrestrials. "Squeeze My Cans" runs July 14 - July 24 at The Greenhouse Theater Center (2257 N Lincoln Avenue); the press performance is July 14 at 7:30 p.m.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

* * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The performance schedule for "Squeeze My Cans" is as follows: Thursday, July 14 at 7 p.m.; Friday, July 15 at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, July 16 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Thursday, July 21 and Friday, July 22 at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, July 23 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday, July 24 at 2 p.m. For tickets and additional information, click here.

CommunicatorIC

Squeeze My Cans show about Scientology Returning to Chicago July 14-24.

http://www.greenhousetheater.org/#!solo-celebration/f4gho (Scroll down)

Tickets: https://apps.vendini.com/ticket-sof...etynet&vqith=0e35d3f365a4b65eddbdb5976f17ede6

attachment.php

Attachments

• SqueezeMyCansChicagoLogo.jpg
    SqueezeMyCansChicagoLogo.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 168

The_Fixer

Class Clown
If I asked my other half about "squeezing cans", I'd be getting a smack around my ears. Just sayin'...

CommunicatorIC

7/13: Cathy Schenkelberg on Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder Show on WGN Radio

7/13: Cathy Schenkelberg on Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder Show on WGN Radio.

https://twitter.com/squeezemycans/status/753100046250409984

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Can't wait to be on the @BillWendyShow tomorrow. Wanna talk Scientology, ok I lived it! Barf! $$$ #squeezemycans

attachment.php

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder Show on WGN Radio 720 AM, weekdays from 10am-12pm CST then 1pm-3pm CST

Attachments

• SqueezeMyCansChicagoLogo3.jpg
    SqueezeMyCansChicagoLogo3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 400

CommunicatorIC

Cathy Schenkelberg discusses her one-woman show about Scientology, ‘Squeeze My Cans’

AUDIO: Actress, singer, and playwright Cathy Schenkelberg discusses her one-woman show about Scientology, ‘Squeeze My Cans’

WGN: Actress, singer, and playwright Cathy Schenkelberg discusses her one-woman show about Scientology, ‘Squeeze My Cans’

http://wgnradio.com/2016/07/13/actress-singer-and-playwright-cathy-schenkelberg-squeeze-my-cans/

Audio at link.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Bill and Wendy are joined by Cathy Schenkelberg and her friend and director Shirley Anderson. The Church of Scientology had Cathy for 14 years. “Squeeze My Cans” outlines her journey with humor and grace, reliving those shocking details inside the secretive religion.

fullsizerender121-e1468436269679.jpg

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Scientology Exposed Like Never Before in Schenkelberg's "Squeeze My Cans"

Buzz News Chicago: Scientology Exposed Like Never Before in Schenkelberg's "Squeeze My Cans"

http://buzznews.net/theatre/item/39...before-in-schenkelberg-s-squeeze-my-cans.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

a5db8c1256359d5e22d55281b76436ae_XL.jpg

Featured

Written by Ken Payne

[SNIP]

In Cathy Schenkelberg’s one-woman show “Squeeze My Cans”, we get an inside look at one of the most bizarre religions that is not only shocking, it is down-right hilarious at times. Providing real life memories of her years in Scientology, Schenkelberg reveals a world that is almost hard to believe, truly defining the phrase “truth is stranger than fiction”. This autobiographical solo-play, written and performed by Schenkelberg, is beautifully pieced together and recounts her story from the time she was recruited into Scientology through her departure from the organization many years later.

Animated and heartfelt, the long-time voice over actress shares intimate stories during her search for spiritual freedom (a goal that of course is never attained unless money is paid to proceed to the next level). Her stories include holding auditions to be Tom Cruise’s girlfriend, blindly sending her daughter off with strangers in a van, alien spirits that dwell in volcanoes, a bizarre encounter with J.T. (that’s John Travolta) and plenty others that one would be hard-pressed to believe. Presented as a tale of warning, Schenkelberg flawlessly delivers her message while not allowing for a single dull moment.

In “Squeeze My Cans”, we are keenly presented with the sad tale of someone who was susceptible while searching for a higher purpose who, rather than finding fulfillment, was taken for the ride of a lifetime. Though one comical story is told after another and laughs are recurrently heard, we certainly feel for its author and the plethora of others who have been taken advantage of by what is exposed in this play as nothing more than a giant hoax. Based on L. Ron Hubbard’s book Dianetics, we get an unbelievable sneak peek at this nonsensical religion, its manipulating prowess and its nearly unbreakable hold on its loyal subjects – emotionally and financially. Schenkelberg’s message is simple – stay away!

But Schenkelberg is a survivor and we can’t help but feel elation at the fact that she was ultimately able to find it within herself to break away. This implausible journey is very well-written and superbly performed with brilliantly executed back and forth dialogue as Schenkelberg interacts with the many characters involved. Plenty of touching moments are mixed in with the show’s humor, making this a nicely balanced production that is as engrossing as it is informative.

“Squeeze My Cans” is an amazing show with firsthand accounts of the peculiar that you really need to hear to believe. This show is not scheduled to be here for very long so don’t hesitate to get your tickets. Shirley Anderson wonderfully directs this presentation that is currently being performed at Greenhouse Theater Center through just July 24th. For tickets and/or more show information visit www.greenhousetheater.org.

CommunicatorIC

Solo festival show sheds light on Scientology from former member

Solo festival show sheds light on Scientology from former member.

Chicago Sun Times: Solo festival show sheds light on Scientology from former member

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/solo-festival-show-sheds-light-on-scientology-from-former-member/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

dsc00295.jpg

Cathy Schenkelberg stars in "Squeeze My Cans" at the Greenhouse Theater Center.

Miriam Di Nunzio

@MiriamDiNunzio | email

[SNIP]

That first course cost her $35. By the end of her 18 years in Scientology, Schenkelberg says she had spent an unbelievable $983,000 (this amount is tallied on a board as her story unfolds): “I was slowly indoctrinated, and there was always another more expensive level that was being sold as very important. It was very hard to walk away.”

Deep into her years in Scientology, Schenkelberg was on a career high making well into the six figures doing voice overs and commercial work. She also was Pepper the Clown on “The Bozo Show.” (“The church actually pinpointed Bozo as a ‘suppressive person’,” she says with a laugh, referring to the term Scientology uses to describe “antisocial personalities.”)

In the show, Schenkelberg demonstrates how Scientology strips away everything in a person’s life not connected to the church until there is nothing left for them but to serve the organization. She had reached the upper levels of Scientology’s courses but she says when she experienced a downward swing in her career and the money dried up she was shunned by the religion.

“There was no more money to get from me and that’s when I really saw that I was in a group that was truly evil,” she says, adding, “Their claim to be ‘the only hope for mankind’ was false.”

Schenkelberg’s story is a relatable cautionary tale, notes Anderson.

“My greatest hope is to try to expose some of these mind-control techniques which are pervasive in many cultures and organizations not just Scientology so that anyone experiencing Cathy’s story might say to themselves, ‘That happened to me,’ or ‘That could happen to me’ or ‘I won’t let that happen to me’.”

Schenkelberg says she uses “Squeeze My Cans” as her own unique form of therapy.

“I’m not upset about the money but I am upset about all the lost time. That makes me the saddest,” she says. “It’s the one thing I battle with because I can’t get those years back. Now I’ve returned to acting and I’m making up for lost time. It’s therapy for my soul.”

CommunicatorIC

“Squeeze My Cans” Review by Emily Johnson

“Squeeze My Cans” Review by Emily Johnson.

Around The Town Chicago: “Squeeze My Cans” Review by Emily Johnson

http://www.aroundthetownchicago.com/theatre-reviews/squeeze-my-cans-review-by-emily-johnson/

Highly Recommended ****

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

I was left with a sense of the relentless tide of momentum that the cult is able to gather, creating a state of emergency for the people involved, puffing up and then decimating their self-importance, defusing their ability to reality check with anyone outside the cult. Spic and span, you’re halfway there.

Somehow, amidst this suffocating mise en scène, the play is consistently dynamic and funny. The audience was laughing throughout the hour-long performance. I’m sure that in the writing this took quite a bit of pride-swallowing to accomplish—and that is Schenkelberg’s real tricky triumph.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

"Squeeze My Cans" Review- A solo performance about Scientology delivers at The Greenhouse Theater Center

Splash Magazine: "Squeeze My Cans" Review- A solo performance about Scientology delivers at The Greenhouse Theater Center

http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Ent...cago_entertainment/squeeze-my-cans-review.php

The extremely talented and successful voice-over actress apparently lost many years of productive work and fully-realized life while forking over approximately one-million dollars plus to this life-stealing entity. While the performance is laugh-out-loud funny, the fact that she brought her young daughter with her into it’s clutches is nothing to joke about. And it appears that it was this child’s warnings of fear of attempted abduction that eventually got Schenkelberg to flee- “out of the mouths of babes” was apparently her clarion call to sanity.

The production is highly recommended.

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: Bozo’s ‘Pepper’ on scientology and how she auditioned to be Tom Cruise’s girlfriend.

WGN TV: Bozo’s ‘Pepper’ on scientology and how she auditioned to be Tom Cruise’s girlfriend

http://wgntv.com/2016/07/22/bozos-p...-she-auditioned-to-be-tom-cruises-girlfriend/

Video at link.

Actress Cathy Schenkelberg has turned her harrowing 20-year experience as a member of the church of Scientology into a humorous and moving story of resilience.

Her one-woman show, called 'Squeeze My Cans,' gives a little glimpse into what the secretive religion is like.

Squeeze My Cans is running from now in Chicago through Sunday at the Greenhouse Theater.

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: 'Squeeze My Cans' sheds light, humor on Scientology

VIDEO: 'Squeeze My Cans' sheds light, humor on Scientology.

Fox 32: 'Squeeze My Cans' sheds light, humor on Scientology

http://www.fox32chicago.com/mornings/178960200-story

Video at link.

CHICAGO (FOX 32 NEWS) - It's a religion made famous by Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but while it's unclear exactly how many members Scientology has, we do know that many of them choose to leave the church, often after a lifetime spent inside it.

Cathy Schenkelberg is one of those formerly involved the church and has converted her experience into a one-woman show called "Squeeze My Cans."

CommunicatorIC

Chicago Critic Review of Squeeze My Cans.

Chicago Critics: Squeeze My Cans

http://chicagocritic.com/squeeze-my-cans/

She tells this story by mimicking the people she met and recounting her own actions which, in retrospect, where very clearly wrong-headed. She makes no excuses for herself, but instead, demonstrates the excessive enthusiasm and illogical thinking that lead her to squeezing pairs of cans year after year while awaiting readings that would tell her whether she was on the right path in life. The e-meter administrators are played as monotonous, unfeeling figures, which is how the church teaches them to be, and contrasts starkly with Schenkelberg’s irreverent, fun-loving, highly sexual personality. Over the course of the play, we see clearly just how much she was transformed and twisted, and how much recovering she admits she still has left to do.

This piece is one which must be very difficult to perform; it is one thing for an actor to imitate someone else reliving their worst mistakes for an audience, it is quite another to relive one’s own. Schenkelberg has the assistance of a director, Shirley Anderson, who keeps her story poignant when it needs to be, and of a design by Brandon Baruch and Victorio Deiorio which fills up the Greenhouse’s empty stage with evocative, and sometimes humorous, lighting effects and projections. But the real treat here is Schenkelberg herself. After seeing how far into Scientology she got, it’s a relief to know that she’s here, performing for us now.

Recommended

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: Nearly $1 Million Later, This Former Scientologist is Telling All

VIDEO: Nearly $1 Million Later, This Former Scientologist is Telling All.

[video=youtube;YzG2OD2CaXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzG2OD2CaXk[/video]

Nearly $1 Million Later, This Former Scientologist is Telling All

The Preachers

Published on Jul 27, 2016

After spending 19 years as a member of the Church of Scientology, Cathy Schenkelberg left what she now describes as a cult… but not before spending nearly $1 million in her quest to become an “operating Thetan.”

In a riveting interview you’ll only see on The Preachers, the voiceover actress breaks down what life was like inside the infamously secret organization. From $46,000 wire transfers to the billion-year contract and an attempted recruitment of her 9-year-old daughter, Cathy’s story is both shocking and enlightening.

Hosted by John Gray, Dr. E Dewey Smith Jr., Orrick Quick and Dr. Jamal Bryant, THE PREACHERS is an all-new talk show featuring four dynamic and outspoken preachers who are known for their electrifying and unique takes on pop culture, news events and spirituality.

Check listings at http://thepreacherstv.com