What's new

St Hill Protest – IAS Event October 2012

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I'm not pointing the finger at people present - except for one, and you know who that is.

In any case, I don't want to detract from the event as a whole. As I said before, it's a job well done.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
snipped.

And, the ‘purpose of the event’ was not ‘to mercilessly bash Scientology, Hubbard and anything remotely connected to Scientology’. It was for ex-members of the cult to talk about their experiences in order to educate anyone who was willing to listen, about Scientology and the CoS.

Axiom142

Fair enough ... the thread name probably caused my confusion.

:)

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here is part 3:

http://youtu.be/X2tgWGwevXY

The first question to be answered by the panellists is, “What’s wrong with Scientology?”, which might be more to the liking of some here. :)

(And, if you watch very carefully you might see a well, er moderately well-known ESMBer and amateur film-maker make an appearance…)

Does anyone have any comment on the video itself (rather than the content or context)? I recorded the sound separately, which improved the quality, but seems to have led to some synchronisation issues by the end of the clip. Also, the picture quality isn’t brilliant as there wasn’t enough light in the room. All issues to fix for next time…

Axiom142

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Here is part 3:

http://youtu.be/X2tgWGwevXY

The first question to be answered by the panellists is, “What’s wrong with Scientology?”, which might be more to the liking of some here. :)

(And, if you watch very carefully you might see a well, er moderately well-known ESMBer and amateur film-maker make an appearance…)

Does anyone have any comment on the video itself (rather than the content or context)? I recorded the sound separately, which improved the quality, but seems to have led to some synchronisation issues by the end of the clip. Also, the picture quality isn’t brilliant as there wasn’t enough light in the room. All issues to fix for next time…

Axiom142

I think the quality is OK - certainly fit for purpose. I think the sound quality is more than good enough, and it doesn't seem badly out of synch. Keep at it and you'll get better all the time!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The sound wasn't bad. Ax. A suggestion, though. It's a good idea when you have questions from the audience for the chairman to repeat the question, the intent of it (he can check that the questioner is happy with what is said) not so much necessarily exactly word for word. Usually audience questions are *very* hard to make out on a video, and this both makes the question audible for everyone, and gives the answerer(s) a few extra moments to think of an answer. :)

Paul

still here

Patron with Honors
There are 4 parts to this video series, totalling almost 2 hours. Clearly we couldn’t have all the life histories of everyone taking part and all their views on every aspect of Scientology in the time available, but I think that there is a good diversity of views and opinions presented here. And remember that other conference videos are available on the Web (the Dublin 2012 conference here, for example: http://www.youtube.com/user/liekmudkip )

We had 2 Freezoners, 2 Indies and 3 exes / critics. Personally I found some of the other viewpoints interesting and informative.

And of course, I could only video those who turned up and took part. Sharone wanted to be here but unfortunately wasn’t able to make it. There may have been a few more verbal fireworks had she been there to present her views. :)

But Still, there is nothing to stop you making your own ‘event’ and making it available for others to view if you would prefer a more ‘robust’ criticism of Scientology.

Axiom142

Dear Ax

I have listened to all 4 parts. I thought you recorded it well, and that you and the participants are to be applauded for making the effort and taking part.

Overall - I agree it is "interesting" to hear the various viewpoints and it may help Scns starting to want out, to know that there are many paths available and they do not have reject everything all at once.

However, I still feel that if you can get the press there - (and the local community) that has to be a huge opportunity, to lay out the truth about the abuses and destruction of scientology, and get it widely known.

The total salvation for me was John. :happydance:Brave, truthful and stupendous! lifted my spirits and made me believe in humanity and freedom...way to go John.

Again, I applaud you for what you have done...and the contributors. All efforts are worhwhile..if they make a change in even one person.
Thank you for your efforts.

Still

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
The sound wasn't bad. Ax. A suggestion, though. It's a good idea when you have questions from the audience for the chairman to repeat the question, the intent of it (he can check that the questioner is happy with what is said) not so much necessarily exactly word for word. Usually audience questions are *very* hard to make out on a video, and this both makes the question audible for everyone, and gives the answerer(s) a few extra moments to think of an answer. :)

Paul

The sound was recorded on a separate (CD quality) sound recorder, which is a big improvement on the standard audio you get for video recorders. The difficult bit is getting everyone loud enough when they are all sat varying distances from the microphones and then not having the nearest people too loud. The alternative is to have a microphone for each person and then a multi-channel mixer to mix it all at the right volume (prohibitively expensive) or edit each bit of audio for each person separately, which is a real pain and takes ages.

I found that because the sound was so distortion-free, I could turn the volume up on my speakers when it got a little quiet, so I didn’t have a problem making out all the questions from the audience. But then I did invest in a pair of good quality speakers, which not everyone will have.

I agree with you Paul, that it is a good idea for the chairperson to confirm / clarify all questions, just so that everyone knows exactly what is being asked. I will feed this back to the organisers for future reference.

Axiom142

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
D'oh!

I seem to have left off one of the speakers off the end credits.

The Irish guy in the middle is John McGhee.

I suppose I could edit them all again and reload...

Axiom142

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I suppose I could edit them all again and reload...

Axiom142

Nah, piece of cake. It's YouTube. You have a choice. You can add an annotation right on YouTube, or upload a subtitle file which you misuse to add in a note. Both of them only take a minute or so once you know what you are doing, and allow you to basically add text overlaid on your video saying exactly what you want to, starting at an exact time you choose and ending at an exact time you choose. :)

The annotation would be far better. You can have a little (or big, actually) box right under his face with his name if you want. They are wonderful for correcting errors on videos, like you say the wrong word or give a bad link or something. Also for giving links to relevant materials elsewhere.

Paul

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Nah, piece of cake. It's YouTube. You have a choice. You can add an annotation right on YouTube, or upload a subtitle file which you misuse to add in a note. Both of them only take a minute or so once you know what you are doing, and allow you to basically add text overlaid on your video saying exactly what you want to, starting at an exact time you choose and ending at an exact time you choose. :)

The annotation would be far better. You can have a little (or big, actually) box right under his face with his name if you want. They are wonderful for correcting errors on videos, like you say the wrong word or give a bad link or something. Also for giving links to relevant materials elsewhere.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I've had a go - looks pretty crap as the YT annotating facility is pretty rudimentary - but at least I've got John's name in there now.

I was rushing it to get all the video available ASAP and it can be quite a tedious process as even on my uber-PC it takes 2 mins to render each min of 720p video and the editing itself several hours for each part. Next time I will take my time and review each video several times before committing.

Axiom142

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
May I ask who some of the people speaking were?

I thought the Irish man was 'xenusdad' but now I see he is a new ESMB member (joined today) named John McGee (he started a blog) ... who is the man with the Liverpool (?) accent that opened the meeting and spoke so well of his disconnected brother and who are the 2 ladies and the man to the left as you look at the video?

It's nice to put a name to a face and I couldn't quite pick them all up.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
May I ask who some of the people speaking were?

I thought the Irish man was 'xenusdad' but now I see he is a new ESMB member (joined today) named John McGee (he started a blog) ... who is the man with the Liverpool (?) accent that opened the meeting and spoke so well of his disconnected brother and who are the 2 ladies and the man to the left as you look at the video?

It's nice to put a name to a face and I couldn't quite pick them all up.

From the left, we had:

Martin Padfield, Samantha Domingo, Peter Griffiths, John McGhee, Terril Park and Vicky Ballard.

And making a couple of guest appearances – Stephen Jones (Me).

Peter is originally from Liverpool, but lives in Eire now and John is from Eire.

Axiom142

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well Ax,

I think you did a really good job on the video's!

I was a little disappointed to hear you say you don't think all scientology is bad, I thought you had got past that bench mark.

I would be interested to hear what bit's you think may have some usefulness?

A quick response on what I thought about the videos and speakers;

Martin Padfield - in for 30 years, still in, but getting there, not a hope in hell if he keeps following Marty.

Samantha Domingo - I have met her on a couple of occasions now. I like her, but see someone very confused, again been in a very long time, and not a hope in hell if she keeps following Marty.

Pete Griffiths, a lovely man, diplomatic, something I struggle to be constantly, but definitely out.

John McGhee, again a very lovely young man, who was the star of the day, wish I could have been there to support him.He actually got in scientology for all the wrong reasons and I am sure that is what got him out.

Terril Park we won't even go there, because just about everyone knows my feelings on him.

Vicky Bollard,did not know who she was till this conference although I had come across the name before. The last video when she praised the Commodore said it all for me, and left me distraught.

I will reiterate yet again, on board the Apollo in 1968 the MAA, Goran Anderson daily threw people over the side of the ship for whatever the crimes of the day had been committed by the erring auditors or crew. People were locked up for having "psychotic breaks", a Hubbardian term, in plain English, mental breakdowns due to circumstances aboard the Apollo. Dictatorship of Hubbardian rule, according to Hubbard and I heard this many times "the sanest place on the planet", in reality it was the most insane place on earth. A floating lunatic asylum, no doubt about it. Goran told me personally when he came to handle me in Denmark, "don't ever tell anybody about this, people will not believe you, for it is so far fetched and you know what happens to people who tell wild stories" ... Yes I did, for it had been drummed into me from being a small child of six, you will be locked up in a mental institution and they will throw away the key. Goran, many years later hung himself. My question is this, how many other children did he deliver a similar kind of message to? All in the name of the Commodore?

I realise this probably isn't the appropriate thread for this, but it is the question I would have asked Vicky Ballard had I been present at this conference.

Scientology works alright in total obedience to L. Ron Hubbard out of fear. I believe this was the title of one of his science fiction books. FEAR! His research was for his books, only he did it on real live people.

As I said earlier, good videos Ax, keep it up!

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Excellent quality on the video!!!

Six minutes into video #2 and I'll tell you what I am getting out of it.. pissed off and a really clean kitchen :wife:

Sharone, You are amazing through all of this. Keep beating the drum!! It's disgusting to see these Hubbard lovers IGNORE and DISMISS the abuse. You can't cherry pick this "religion" it was founded just 60 some years ago on the premise to enslave & control people and keeping the sec checks and PTS/SP stuff just shows it will continue too!

I'm so happy these people can go exterior maybe they should have taught you that when you were being abused, you could have floated off to India WTF??? Thank goodness she doesn't do it while driving..although she did say she doesn't go very far.. WTF??? And people make pencils roll? OMG! Go watch Powder again. You know what is normal? Wishing you had the power of the Force and playing dress-up at Comic-Con.

Guess I'll get back to it.. then I'm going out for dinner and I'll be sure to remind my companions that Scientology is a CULT and when they say "I don't care what others want to 'believe' in" I'll be sure to tell them about how Scion has it's own police force, judicial system, military and PRISON...all subsidized by not paying taxes. :angry:

Smiles!
Miss

PS. They are 'reforming' Scion but keeping the name.. why? So they can keep the money, property and all the spoils. I'd like to hear what iScion plans to do if they get that money.. surely not a REBATE to those who paid in!

PPS.. My apologies if this is not the correct thread..still learning my way around and I'd be happy to move it to another spot if anyone has a suggestion as to where it would be more appropriate! Not here to troll or cause problems or thread-jack.

Last edited:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
From the left, we had:

Martin Padfield, Samantha Domingo, Peter Griffiths, John McGhee, Terril Park and Vicky Ballard.

And making a couple of guest appearances – Stephen Jones (Me).

Peter is originally from Liverpool, but lives in Eire now and John is from Eire.

Axiom142

Ah right, thanks Axiom ... so Peter is xenusdad.

I sometimes think the less the public know about the inner workings of what we were once involved in ... the better. I find myself cringing hearing certain things 'discussed' publicly by people that are still into it, and I prefer to keep things simple and separate because it does muddy the water, dilute the overall message and potentially make us all look as mad as a bagful of frogs.

Call me old fashioned.

:lol: