ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

St Hill Urban Legends

Discussion in 'Europe' started by @lutz, Aug 2, 2019.

1. @lutz

@lutz Patron

I remember a period of high melodrama when St Hill was hit by a Flag Mission that announced its arrival by pinning their mission orders to the door of Reception with a dagger. St Hill's atmosphere suddenly switched from being relatively laid back, into a draconian scene from George Orwell's 1984. Lots of pressed white shirts with gold braided lanyards marching around scaring everyone shitless. The Stasi had nothing on these guys . . . if you overslepted . . . you woke up on the RPF.
    A few weeks later one of their key players was himself RPF'ed for perving through the window of the ladies showers at Brookhouse. Such hypocrisy.

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Could you add some dates to these stories? I thought the dagger thing was 1968-ish but Brook House and Bullards were bought in 1979.

Paul

3. @lutz

@lutz Patron

Hi Paul . . . I guess it could have been early eighties but I can't be sure . . . it was so long ago.

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Thanks. Yeah, somewhere around 1982 things changed markedly for the worse at SH, obviously reflecting management shake-ups. Missions were a staple of life -- [edit] oh, maybe I remember this ... I didn't see the dagger, but I think I heard about it, and how it didn't go down well at all, creating bad PR for the mission because of damaging the door varnish, being too American etc etc. Whoever wrote the Mission Orders must have thought the 1968 Otto Roos thing sounded like a good way of establishing ethics presence.

Paul

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Clay Pigeon and Enthetan like this.
  5. Veda

Veda Sponsor

"Ethics presence."

Photo and caption from the Auditor newspaper, late 1960s.
    [​IMG]

6. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

In the US, the early 80's was when we had a lot of harsh ethics missions, the Int Finance Police, etc. I could see SH not escaping the general madness.

7. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Gold Meritorious Patron

The jackass with the swagger stick need a knee lifted into his groin with sufficient alacrity to leave him with a testicle hanging out of each ear

8. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

With most of these missions, the stupidity was likely not their idea. Missions were micro-managed from Flag, and had to do whatever their Mission Ops told them to do. Lots of telex traffic back and forth.

9. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Your date sounds right to me. There was a short period in the early 80s when "dagger on the door" was some sort of Scientology trend or something.

Around 1982 or 1983, when I was Dir I&R AOLA, one of the LA OTs was upset when his friend was declared SP and put a dagger with a note on it on one of the PAC MAA's door. I think it was the MAA ASHO-Day who declared the public OT's friend. The OT who put a dagger on the door was instantly declared.

He didn't actually mean it as a threat to kill the MAA, but he was really upset. Anyone would be.

I was asked by one of his friends to try to help, so put together a Board of Review for him. I believe Melanie was Cont Justice Chief PAC at the time and she approved the findings to cancel the Declare and Jurgen Brock, who was IJC at the time, also approved it and just gave him some amends. They were both decent people who didn't believe in being heavy-handed, but neither lasted long on those posts.

I don't know what happened to his friend who was declared, though... that one was out of my hands.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

If you look closely enough, you might just see one hanging out of the left ear.

You're going to need a magnifying glass but.

Enthetan likes this.