What's new

St. Petersburg Times: Rinder, Rathbun, and more speak out

moontaco

Patron with Honors
I'm sorry, I'm not sure this is in the right place--please move if not.

Over on WWP, someone anonymously posted a link to a short St. Petersburg Times article on Scientology, and in checking it out, I found what is really the main article--the first of a three-part series. It begins with the musical chairs story. The writers say they interviewed Rinder, Rathbun, and others. Here's how it starts:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012148.ece

EDIT: LINK TO COMPLETE COVERAGE

Scientology: The Truth Rundown, Part 1 of 3 in a special report on the
Church of Scientology
By Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writers
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 01:06 AM

Part ONE of THREE

The leader of the Church of Scientology strode into the room with a boom box and an announcement: Time for a game of musical chairs.

David Miscavige had kept more than 30 members of his church's executive staff cooped up for weeks in a small office building outside Los Angeles, not letting them leave except to grab a shower. They slept on the floor, their food carted in.

Their assignment was to develop strategic plans for the church. But the leader trashed their every idea and berated them as incompetents and enemies, of him and the church.

Prove your devotion, Miscavige told them, by winning at musical chairs. Everyone else — losers, all of you — will be banished to Scientology outposts around the world. If families are split up, too bad.

To the music of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody they played through the night, parading around a conference room in their Navy-style uniforms, grown men and women wrestling over chairs.

The next evening, early in 2004, Miscavige gathered the group and out of nowhere slapped a manager named Tom De Vocht, threw him to the ground and delivered more blows. De Vocht took the beating and the humiliation in silence — the way other executives always took the leader's attacks.

This account comes from executives who for decades were key figures in Scientology's powerful inner circle. Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, the highest-ranking executives to leave the church, are speaking out for the first time.

Two other former executives who defected also agreed to interviews with the St. Petersburg Times: De Vocht, who for years oversaw the church's spiritual headquarters in Clearwater, and Amy Scobee, who helped create Scientology's celebrity network, which caters to the likes of John Travolta and Tom Cruise.

One by one, the four defectors walked away from the only life they knew. That Rathbun and Rinder are speaking out is a stunning reversal because they were among Miscavige's closest associates, Haldeman and Ehrlichman to his Nixon.

Now they provide an unprecedented look inside the upper reaches of the tightly controlled organization. They reveal:

• Physical violence permeated Scientology's international management team. Miscavige set the tone, routinely attacking his lieutenants. Rinder says the leader attacked him some 50 times.

Rathbun, Rinder and De Vocht admit that they, too, attacked their colleagues, to demonstrate loyalty to Miscavige and prove their mettle.

• Staffers are disciplined and controlled by a multilayered system of "ecclesiastical justice.'' It includes publicly confessing sins and crimes to a group of peers, being ordered to jump into a pool fully clothed, facing embarrassing "security checks'' or, worse, being isolated as a "suppressive person.''

At the pinnacle of the hierarchy, Miscavige commands such power that managers follow his orders, however bizarre, with lemming-like obedience.

• Church staffers covered up how they botched the care of Lisa McPherson, a Scientologist who died after they held her 17 days in isolation at Clearwater's Fort Harrison Hotel.

Rathbun, who Miscavige put in charge of dealing with the fallout from the case, admits that he ordered the destruction of incriminating evidence. He and others also reveal that Miscavige made an embarrassing miscalculation on McPherson's Scientology counseling.

• With Miscavige calling the shots and Rathbun among those at his side, the church muscled the IRS into granting Scientology tax-exempt status. Offering fresh perspective on one of the church's crowning moments, Rathbun details an extraordinary campaign of public pressure backed by thousands of lawsuits.

• To prop up revenues, Miscavige has turned to long-time parishioners, urging them to buy material that the church markets as must-have, improved sacred scripture.

Church officials deny the accusations. Miscavige never hit a single church staffer, not once, they said.

Last edited:
Musical Chairs, beatings, SP Hall and more!

Took them long enough.

This is part ONE - wait till you see parts 2 & 3.

Until next time...
BFG

If the Citizens Commission on Human Rights truly cares about human rights, they will be celebrating with the rest of us the day Miscavige gets taken away in hand cuffs to pay for his crimes

Been Done Had

Patron with Honors
Absolutely stunning article. Finally some traction.

Sounds like Int management is paralyzed by the toxic abusive environment.

The newspaper surely had this vetted by many different lawyers, and I'm sure their insurer's lawyers had a crack at it too. I bet there will be no lawsuit. None. Zero. Zip. It will open way too many cans of worms. Same as the Morton book. No paper has been filed.

Let's see if this gets national traction.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
OMFG This is FANTASTIC!!!:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

This could well be the shot that is heard around the world as far as the cult goes.:woohoo:

Can't wait for the next installments :drama:

Feral

Rogue male
So it begins.:D

Those who have heard the musical chairs story and rejected it will now hear Rathbun's and Rinder's versions.

It will not stop with the St Pete's Times either, this story will now probably break world wide.

That sound we can hear is the Church of Scientologie's strangle hold on EXes, critics, governments and the media slipping.:happydance:

I'm sure the tide is truly turned for them, forever.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
That 'church's response' link also has an audio of Tommy Davis worth listening to.

Here is the written text:
Church of Scientology's response

In response to the allegations of the four defectors, spokesmen for the Church of Scientology vehemently deny that church leader David Miscavige ever hit anybody, not even a single time. They say the defectors are liars whose allegations should not be given a shred of credibility. They produced "confessions" the defectors wrote while in the church in which they admitted transgressions and praised Miscavige. The church says the defectors were all demoted, washouts who left the church and now are bent on revenge. Also, the church says it has enjoyed a "renaissance'' of growth since the defectors left, in improvements to the religious texts and in the opening new churches, thanks to the hands-on leadership of Miscavige.

BY JOE CHILDS and THOMAS C. TOBIN, Times Staff Writers

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
OMFG! Tommy Davis sounds like Tom Cruise on steroids in this taped interview, "Joe, look at me when I talk to you, Mark Rathbun is a bad bad bad bad bad person and is psychotic"

Seriously,

I know - I am still listening to all the audios - :omg: (there are 6 of them)

In no. 5 he is screaming like a nut case - I guess he had a good example to learn from.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
That scurrying sound you now may hear is just the rats heading overboard :D

The fail PR Tech is just gonna wipe the Co$ out - who's gonna believe them now?:confused2:

Let the circus truly begin - the clowns have already arrived with their "rebuttals.":yes:

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
I'm watching the Marty's interview, so it is true that David Miscavige personally C/Sed Lisa McPherson to death! :omg: