What's new

Staff and Sea Org - What was it like?

hummingbird

Patron with Honors
And add to that the fact that even though you saw (when you had time to look) that month by month there were fewer people on courses or receiving auditing and you heard that your org's income was steadily shrinking, you KNEW that $cn was having unprecedented expansion across the planet!! That's what you'd keep hearing at staff musters (I've grown to HATE that word) and events. So, YOUR org was downstat due to out-ethics and CI, but that's fixable using Ron's tech! It was YOUR fault you didn't make enough to live on. The rest of the planet was doing great and THIS IS OUR ONLY CHANCE TO SAVE THIS SECTOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

(Dang, 30 years later and the crap is still in my brain...)

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
And add to that the fact that even though you saw (when you had time to look) that month by month there were fewer people on courses or receiving auditing and you heard that your org's income was steadily shrinking, you KNEW that $cn was having unprecedented expansion across the planet!! That's what you'd keep hearing at staff musters (I've grown to HATE that word) and events. So, YOUR org was downstat due to out-ethics and CI, but that's fixable using Ron's tech! It was YOUR fault you didn't make enough to live on. The rest of the planet was doing great and THIS IS OUR ONLY CHANCE TO SAVE THIS SECTOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

(Dang, 30 years later and the crap is still in my brain...)

LRH states in a lecture that in order to successfully hypnotize someone - you obtain their agreement on a gradient....and then you give commands over and over. The musters were part of the hypnotism. You start out on staff thinking you are joining a group that actually does something about the shape our planet is in - then the tables are turned and it is your fault because it is not happening....meanwhile, you are to work for nothing and allow this hypnotism to continue until you leave.

May I suggest going to You Tube and listening to mediation tapes (of your interest; love, happiness, abundance, prosperity etc) to displace these "implants" with what you want and agree with. I did it and they work beautifully. I no longer think in Scientologese unless I want to and that is only when I am working at getting someone out or to just J&D about the cult and scam.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
<snip>

You start out on staff thinking you are joining a group that actually does something about the shape our planet is in - then the tables are turned and it is your fault because it is not happening....meanwhile, you are to work for nothing and allow this hypnotism to continue until you leave.

<snip>

Bullseye!

Bee Sting

Patron with Honors
I am wondering what is going on in the mind of the staffer's and Sea Org members when they are working their tails off and nothing changes? What was that like - REALLY?

The staff and Sea Org seem absolutely numb, not there - a sort of wooden feeling! They look like whirling dirvishes, if you will? :unsure: Spinning around, real busy, no one going up the BRIDGE to Total SMASH, busy busy busy but NOTHING GETS DONE.

Scientology is the only organization that I have ever witnessed to be the biggest DILETTANTE I have ever experienced. Volunteer Minister's? Narconon? CCHR? NADA - ZIP - ZERO - It is a nice facade like a movie set - but no one is home! Nothing behind the set.

I am trying to understand how they can take it and take it and take it. Work their asses off, no money, no new people that last, events till midnight to hear Slappy boast about expansion by epic proportions but no one new comes and stays...WTF?

Enlighten me on the reality of what it is like? How does one justify it for years and years and years??:bigcry:It is so sad to see them wasting their lives for absolutely NOTHING! It is a huge betrayal and FRAUD! SNAKE OIL Salesman! YUCK

There is n way to "enlightening" you on the subject and I don't mean that to be mean or negative. To have an understanding of how it might feel and reason why they (me) stayed is very difficult to explain unless you have experienced some kind of physical, mental or psychological abuse yourself. Because, THAT is what Scientology processing is all about.

Scio thrives on psychological and mental abuse. Auditing is in itself abusive and mentally manipulative. In the world of psychiatry or is it psychology? hmmm... neither here nor there, when the psychiatrist or psychologist flashes cards in front the patient and patient is to blurb out what the blurted line looks like on the flash cards, whatever comes to mind, , he/she (the doc) evaluates the responses in order to make the diagnoses. The patient's responses at that moment may not be the same if he/she was retested a year or two later. It's a subjective to what the patient is currently experiencing in their life. But, the patients is not told what is expected of him/her so their answer can only be what comes to mind.

With Auditing, and Scientology, the difference is that Scio will give you "prerequisites" and what you as the PC should look for or rather, what the expectations are from you. For example, you, the PC is trained on knowing what the VGI's are and when to communicate that. The PC has to be "session-able", in other words, mentally you have to be prepare yourself for the auditing session. So, when the PC is in session, he/she already is prepared for the VFP, the valuable final product, the PC already knows what they needs to achieve to "pass" the test or rather get to end of session.

The outcome of those prerequisites is that in the mind of the PC, whatever comes to mind in an auditing session, what the imaginations spurs at that moment is by what he/she is currently experiencing in their life, or perhaps induced by dreams, curiosity or desires.

Deep inside, most human beings and especially those introed into Scio are much more vulnerable because all the training the PC has received up to that point, the TR courses, etc is in order to be session-able. It is that they build the PC up to believing that they "need" auditing. Self esteem is lowered or crushed and the PC acquires the belief that he/she needs to be "rescued" when in fact, the only thing needed is positive reinforcement and encouragement to get along with their current life.

But, because we humans are so vulnerable to our emotions, we tend to "take things to heart."

So, to explain WHY we stay... besides being told to believe that the world "outside" is evil... we allow ourselves to be manipulated not by design but because Scio promises that we are "God like" and the only way we can tap into our natural powers is to follow their teachings. The promise to become so much better of a person that the PC is lead to believe that they are currently not and giving hope to the PC's currently "hopeless" situation.

Dianetics, Scio is a psychological prescription of manipulation and prays on human needs and desires.

They say, it takes an abused spouse seven tries before being able to leave the abuser and some of those reasons is the co-dependency. It is the same in the SO, co-dependency. That is why the disconnect policy is in place.

To really understand what goes on in the SO...it is plain and simple ~ abuse!

Punishment = Ethics handling = Left out in an hostile unknown world = better to do what I am told = this is a safer place because this is what I know = the world out there is more evil than here = At least I know what I have here = It's not so bad after all = It's worse out there = I can change = I have friends here = I don't know anyone out there = I had to disconnect, that is how evil "they" are, the wogs = I am among friends = I deserve this............. and so on an so one...

It is abuse! Period!

Honey Love,

Bee Sting

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
The Sea Org is covered by so many threads and posts here ... so lets' look at the typical life of being on staff.

Imagine being in a constant state of 'degrees of deprivation', where you work 20 hr days and get no to little pay. Where you have no idea how you are going to pay your rent and other monthly bills, or feed your kids something besides cereal for dinner, get your laundry done without money for the machines at the laundromat, have money to get to work... and you are told you are not allowed to 'moonlight' ( work elsewhere, especially with non-staff scientology companies ) until your job production stats are up.

Where you are thrown into a post and told to 'make it go right' and fingure out how you are going to get the 'valuable final product of your job' even though you have no experience or time to train on what that job is because it's always like a state of emergency at the org, with every senior and senior's senior yelling in the ears of a junior to "get stats up!!"

Where even if you do your job and do get you own targets done by Thursday at 2pm ( weekly deadline in all churches ) and have gotten your own 'stats up' you suffer anyway financially if the org income is low, which is usually is. Then, on Friday, you start all over again, new targets, new stats to achieve. The stress is unbelievable.

The personal and family neglect I saw happen around me was appalling. But you can't say anything... without risking an interview with the Org ethics dept.

There is so much more and it's all so much worse, but this is a typical staff member's life as I remember it.

Bee Sting

Patron with Honors
The Sea Org is covered by so many threads and posts here ... so lets' look at the typical life of being on staff.

Imagine being in a constant state of 'degrees of deprivation', where you work 20 hr days and get no to little pay. Where you have no idea how you are going to pay your rent and other monthly bills, or feed your kids something besides cereal for dinner, get your laundry done without money for the machines at the laundromat, have money to get to work... and you are told you are not allowed to 'moonlight' ( work elsewhere, especially with non-staff scientology companies ) until your job production stats are up.

Where you are thrown into a post and told to 'make it go right' and fingure out how you are going to get the 'valuable final product of your job' even though you have no experience or time to train on what that job is because it's always like a state of emergency at the org, with every senior and senior's senior yelling in the ears of a junior to "get stats up!!"

Where even if you do your job and do get you own targets done by Thursday at 2pm ( weekly deadline in all churches ) and have gotten your own 'stats up' you suffer anyway financially if the org income is low, which is usually is. Then, on Friday, you start all over again, new targets, new stats to achieve. The stress is unbelievable.

The personal and family neglect I saw happen around me was appalling. But you can't say anything... without risking an interview with the Org ethics dept.

There is so much more and it's all so much worse, but this is a typical staff member's life as I remember it.

YES! It IS! Life in the SO is depriving.. of everything... humanity, happiness, all the things that makes life worth living.. the "person" is forgotten/disallowed and we all become a "stat" of the organization with no other value because we are no longer "humans" .. We are THETANS and with that we are .. eh, What?? Ok, I hush my mouth now...

Honey Love,

Bee Sting

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Then, few years of it had drain all your way of coping - you realize you can't do it this way anymore.
So you are now with debts, a 5 years contract, no more money to go up your bridge, starving, looking to share an apt with someone who won't pay his due and there is nothting left to sell....

:confused2:

If you have children, may be you would have given up to ensure them a decent living and routed out.

But otherwise, one day, a Sea Org recruit mission comes in.

Wow! It's amazing that there is finally an easier way to help save the planet , take responsibility and have the opportunity to go up your bridge, All the room and board are covered, even though all expenses , clothes and you can make more money with selling books. WoW.
You would share a room with someone and it's like being part of a huge theta family!

Okay, you sell everything to pay you debts , you fly to flag.

You think you will be given a nice tour to get familiar with the facilities etc..
But you are conducted in a bedroom at FH - 6th floor.
Well it's cool, staying a night at the FH!

You enter the room, and the ceiling is almost collapsing, the plumbing pipes are leaking everywhere, the carpet is ...is..I can't find the word... the foulish smell, Urgh...
there is 2 large beds, no cover sheets, there are urine rings on the matresses, and you have to share beds with people :omg:
It looks like a place under demolition :melodramatic:
An after war site.

You are about to cry (as a +or- 20 years old girl )
But they tell you - ''hey, it's only for tonight - tomorrow you will get a nice room!''

It's the most beautifull theta place on the planet - they say!
So you are in a hurry to finally move
in HOC ''the heart of Clearwater''
Apparently way better Hacienda
OMG!

It's even worst and you can hear the coacroaches walking on caboard boxes under your bed!
6 persons in the bedroom
Air conditionning is not working - it's may - hot and raining :bigcry:
The plumbing is leaking
and you know there is no way it will be renovated.

you have been introduced to EPF and encountered your first RPF'ers
running like slaves in the garages , not even looking at people into their eyes!
children cleaning the marble floor of the Crystal Ballroom hall
with a toothbrush :unsure:

The first few days
you hear people yelling and threatening more
than you have heard in a lifetime,
You encounter surreal things you wouldn't imagine
like teens and children giving orders to adults
and you are expected to call them ''sir'' and obey
Some are arrogant and let you know they are
choosen because they are ''pure'' for serving LRH
AS they are young, they have not commited sins
neither infested with atheir parents education

They know every move you do in a day
because there are guards all around
and they particularly watch the new arrivals batch of slaves.
There is muster few times a day to count people.

You realize you are in a military camp
No one complain
After all, it's a deadly urgent mission
to save the planet - it's a war!

1984 come back in your mind - you know you found it live!

:unsure:

You can't stay there!:duh:

Thank's to the Clearwater taxi driver's
who are compassionate and very much helpfull
for people trying to escape.
They know the tricks and they give good advices.

30 years later
you still know it has been the lesson of a lifetime.

The were the old gold days at the Flag land base.
A very much dark place with people who appears humanoids.

Many are called = few are choosen! :lol:

We won't come back :lol:

* SO would never complained about their conditions - there is no way to ask or be critical otherwise the rpf needs slaves.

* many SO will never complain, even when they get out of it . I never did so , no sibling, parents, neither friends or any psych knows what I experienced (emotional) there neither my escape. I had not been abused as many other had been. But, I was and still am to ashamed of having been trapped in a Big brother slave cult.

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I am wondering what is going on in the mind of the staffer's and Sea Org members when they are working their tails off and nothing changes? What was that like - REALLY?

One thing that REALLY PISSES ME OFF is that one time, around 1968, we were each asked (as staff-members) to shell out to help buy the fat bastard a fuckin' Hasselblad camera for his birthday! Thee months later we were sent a photo of old fat-lips standing beside it on its tripod smilin' his ass off.

Most of us could barely feed ourselves on the lousy pay we were drawing (but of course that was our fault because were were so downstat), but we had to contribute towards buying the multi-millionaire another goddam camera!

I'd love to know who's great idea that was so that I could...

Last edited:

opahgirl

Patron

The staff and Sea Org seem absolutely numb, not there - a sort of wooden feeling! They look like whirling dirvishes, if you will? :unsure: Spinning around, real busy, no one going up the BRIDGE to Total SMASH, busy busy busy but NOTHING GETS DONE.

Scientology is the only organization that I have ever witnessed to be the biggest DILETTANTE I have ever experienced. Volunteer Minister's? Narconon? CCHR? NADA - ZIP - ZERO - It is a nice facade like a movie set - but no one is home! Nothing behind the set.

I am trying to understand how they can take it and take it and take it. Work their asses off, no money, no new people that last, events till midnight to hear Slappy boast about expansion by epic proportions but no one new comes and stays...WTF?

Enlighten me on the reality of what it is like? How does one justify it for years and years and years??:bigcry:It is so sad to see them wasting their lives for absolutely NOTHING! It is a huge betrayal and FRAUD! SNAKE OIL Salesman! YUCK

it is actually very easy.........when a person is young he or she has a dream....people want to become doctors to help people,teachers to help people,judges to help people,all kinds of stuff......
when you meet a group approach towards you is they only want earth to be a better place.it is easy to get in and get a course........
Usually those first courses have simple subjects such as tools to improve your reading and studying abilities or your communication skills,etc...
on the first courses you get the chance to find out that your own opinion and your personal integrity are all that matter..........and so you think,it's ok,cause i have that in writing to pretect me against anything i don't agrre with.....so you become a staff member to help.........
and then you see smiling happy public,so you endure all the long hours and little or no pay and little or no study time or other services for yourself.......and you say"i'm not selfish i suffer ,but enable others to improve their lives and that is something noble......
so since you already have no sleep no money no improvement and your only joy has become the progress of others.......then it is a small step to dedicate yourself in the sea org......
you read"a billion year contract"and you think "it's -of course-only a manner of speaking......they can't be literal.....
and then the higher you go the more the enslavement,the less the joy,the more unethical to smile and be happy(i'm talking from a very personal point of view,and personal experience)................the more the pressure,the more the rules you HAVE to accept.......

and even then,you see public happy gaining things and moving up this goddamned bridge,and although you want too,you can't but still you are happy to be part of this"group"effort,,............

and then inside there are a thousand things written that make any trouble you get into your own.....many things in writing that make it possible with wrong application to even get molested and it being your own fault.....
and so you get into this dwindling spiral that only goes downward..........
now add to all the above,a lot of rich happy high level public around you......
now add to that being born into this,or having joined at a young age....and now being 60 years old with nowhere to go to,no family,no education,no professional experience out side of scn........and i could go on..................
there are a million ways how this is possible............
even outside scientology people get raised in a billion diferent ways....
my family happened to raise me to have self respect and believe i deserve the best.........and still i got so trapped and had lots of my freedoms taken away for "the greatest good".............
Imagine kids that were raised with no parents.............
kids that were beaten uop by their caretakers or even molested..............
it is SO easy to happen...........i hope all the above help you understand...........

:blush::p

opahgirl

Patron

it is actually very easy.........when a person is young he or she has a dream....people want to become doctors to help people,teachers to help people,judges to help people,all kinds of stuff......
when you meet a group approach towards you is they only want earth to be a better place.it is easy to get in and get a course........
Usually those first courses have simple subjects such as tools to improve your reading and studying abilities or your communication skills,etc...
on the first courses you get the chance to find out that your own opinion and your personal integrity are all that matter..........and so you think,it's ok,cause i have that in writing to pretect me against anything i don't agrre with.....so you become a staff member to help.........
and then you see smiling happy public,so you endure all the long hours and little or no pay and little or no study time or other services for yourself.......and you say"i'm not selfish i suffer ,but enable others to improve their lives and that is something noble......
so since you already have no sleep no money no improvement and your only joy has become the progress of others.......then it is a small step to dedicate yourself in the sea org......
you read"a billion year contract"and you think "it's -of course-only a manner of speaking......they can't be literal.....
and then the higher you go the more the enslavement,the less the joy,the more unethical to smile and be happy(i'm talking from a very personal point of view,and personal experience)................the more the pressure,the more the rules you HAVE to accept.......

and even then,you see public happy gaining things and moving up this goddamned bridge,and although you want too,you can't but still you are happy to be part of this"group"effort,,............

and then inside there are a thousand things written that make any trouble you get into your own.....many things in writing that make it possible with wrong application to even get molested and it being your own fault.....
and so you get into this dwindling spiral that only goes downward..........
now add to all the above,a lot of rich happy high level public around you......
now add to that being born into this,or having joined at a young age....and now being 60 years old with nowhere to go to,no family,no education,no professional experience out side of scn........and i could go on..................
there are a million ways how this is possible............
even outside scientology people get raised in a billion diferent ways....
my family happened to raise me to have self respect and believe i deserve the best.........and still i got so trapped and had lots of my freedoms taken away for "the greatest good".............
Imagine kids that were raised with no parents.............
kids that were beaten uop by their caretakers or even molested..............
it is SO easy to happen...........i hope all the above help you understand...........

:blush::p

aestu

What exactly do you spend 20 hours a day doing?

What I don't understand is, where does the money come from? Is it just peddling Scientology or do they do subcontracting for commercial organizations or what?

JustSheila

Crusader
Hello AESTU,

The Bestseller book, "Going Clear" by Lawrence Wright should answer your questions. You can order it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Clear-Scientology-Hollywood-Prison/dp/0307745309

9780385350273_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

It all depends on what your post is. I was in the SO for 15 years or so. For a few years I was a course supervisor, so my day was spent supervising the course room all day. I spent many years in different desk jobs, where I spent all day writing reports, looking at statistic graphs, reading other peoples reports, writing summaries of shit based on the graphs and reports I read, then passing it all along to my superior who would then spend all her time reading the same reports and graphs, so she can verify my summary then send it to her superior. Who would likely do the same thing. I can attest from experience, working in the sea org is a huge waste of time and even more inefficient than working in government. I know because I spent 4 years working for the government.

So you get up and eat breakfast, go to muster then either to your job or to the course room for your daily 2.5 hours of study. Then off to lunch then another muster, then off to work until dinner. After dinner you go to muster, then work at least until the scheduled end of the day, usually longer. The earliest end of day I every had was 10:30pm. After work you would go take a shower, maybe take a walk, or talk to friends. Then into bed. Rinse and repeat 7 days a week until you die.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I can attest from experience, working in the sea org is a huge waste of time and even more inefficient than working in government. I know because I spent 4 years working for the government.

Speaking as an ex-SO who also worked in government, I agree with you. So much admin, so little production. Having to CSW for every little thing, with the CSW going through multiple people for approval. No private company would survive with that level of overhead.

Where I am now, I do what I think appropriate without asking permission. I notify seniors of what I'm doing, but do not wait for approval. If they have a problem with what I'm doing, or want me to change my priorities, then they let me know. Otherwise silence = approval.

It all depends on what your post is. I was in the SO for 15 years or so. For a few years I was a course supervisor, so my day was spent supervising the course room all day. I spent many years in different desk jobs, where I spent all day writing reports, looking at statistic graphs, reading other peoples reports, writing summaries of shit based on the graphs and reports I read, then passing it all along to my superior who would then spend all her time reading the same reports and graphs, so she can verify my summary then send it to her superior. Who would likely do the same thing. I can attest from experience, working in the sea org is a huge waste of time and even more inefficient than working in government. I know because I spent 4 years working for the government.

So you get up and eat breakfast, go to muster then either to your job or to the course room for your daily 2.5 hours of study. Then off to lunch then another muster, then off to work until dinner. After dinner you go to muster, then work at least until the scheduled end of the day, usually longer. The earliest end of day I every had was 10:30pm. After work you would go take a shower, maybe take a walk, or talk to friends. Then into bed. Rinse and repeat 7 days a week until you die.

i read this and i don't know whether to laugh or cry...

if dev-t were a capital crime we would live in a better world

Adam7986

Declared SP

Thank you for reminding me how fucking miserable my life was back then. I am not being sarcastic, mind you. That's a genuine thanks. You summed up so fucking perfectly exactly the reason that I couldn't stand it in the Sea Org.

Adam7986

Declared SP
What exactly do you spend 20 hours a day doing?

What I don't understand is, where does the money come from? Is it just peddling Scientology or do they do subcontracting for commercial organizations or what?

I did mostly administrative work that you would find in an office. That's why the fact that Scientology keeps getting out of slave labor lawsuits using a ministerial exemption is fucking ridiculous. There are only a few people in the organization that do anything that could be considered remotely ministerial. I was a 15 year old kid filing paperwork and scanning documents into electronic storage and making phone calls for donations 20 hours a fucking day. That's all I did.

and freaking irony is...

one of ron's shining insights into the way things are is the dev-t material

and then ron goes and VASTLY overengineers the admin...

over-engineering has always been one of the very worst sources o dev-t, as robert heinlein observes "n elephant is a mouse built to government specifications"

jee-yay-ziss!

dev-t?

is there anyone on this board who worked on staff at a CLIV/CLV org who noticed that sea org missions to outer orgs produce nothing so much as dev-t?

Speaking as an ex-SO who also worked in government, I agree with you. So much admin, so little production. Having to CSW for every little thing, with the CSW going through multiple people for approval. No private company would survive with that level of overhead.

Where I am now, I do what I think appropriate without asking permission. I notify seniors of what I'm doing, but do not wait for approval. If they have a problem with what I'm doing, or want me to change my priorities, then they let me know. Otherwise silence = approval.

now then enthetan...

sit back, relax. get into a proper meditative state and open your mind to a vast visionary experience...

imagine what CoS would be if it were done the way you're doing things now...