What's new

Staff pay.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Bullshit.

Please excuse the number of ex staff members here who might be very skeptical at the idea of staff pay now having become high enough to be a living wage.

In the experience of all the people here, covering a time period from the beginning of Scn to present, the only people who seemed to get more than $10/week were high-producing sales people (regges and book sellers).

Are you saying that it has been standard in the org you were on staff at, that the average staff member makes $hundreds/week?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I really wish I hadn't destroyed it but I found an old invoice for a years pay, one of those annual tax thingies, it was from London Org in the 70s and it was less that 300 pounds, for a full years salary, less that 467 dollars. London was a big thriving org then, one of the best. Even moonlighting in nightclubs and theatres and cleaning companies staff barely survived.

Yes, when I was on staff, I rarely bothered to pick up my pay. I was able to survive by holding a regular full-time professional job, but only for a while before I was burned out.

My day consisted of getting up at six AM, being at work by 8, leaving work at 4, having a bite to eat and then reporting to Foundation by 6, leaving at 10pm on the dot (ignoring "all hands"), and being in bed by 11. Then repeat the next day.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Please excuse the number of ex staff members here who might be very skeptical at the idea of staff pay now having become high enough to be a living wage.

In the experience of all the people here, covering a time period from the beginning of Scn to present, the only people who seemed to get more than $10/week were high-producing sales people (regges and book sellers).

Are you saying that it has been standard in the org you were on staff at, that the average staff member makes $hundreds/week?
Yes, you are quite right. I found the post you responded to unbelievable. I worked as a staff member at London Org for several years, and more often than not my weekly earnings amounted to £SFA.00, and if it wasn't for the fact that I moonlighted doing various jobs after-hours, I could never have survived.

Alan Saint was the guy on duty in the cashiers' box in reception where we went to get our wages, and I can remember the pained look on his face when he told us that we weren't going to be paid anything that week. Poor sod, he genuinely felt for us I'm sure.

Last edited:

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron
New update to this thread:

At least from the org I was working at - I got living wage (after staff status 2). I was getting a basic 220 / 300 a week. Then after staff status 2 I went to 500/600 a week.

How many staff in that org?

What was the average weekly income figure?

About how many public were in the org every day?

Without additional info, your figures are suspect.

How many staff in that org?

What was the average weekly income figure?

About how many public were in the org every day?

Without additional info, your figures are suspect.

We had 110 staff when I left - which was this week mind you.

our GI Went from 150,000 to 160,000 - money of course stolen from patrons and raw public

raw public? BR - 20/30 on a good day 10/15 on a bad day. WIs were about 5/10

patrons we we had about 100 in our org at one time or more.

just trying to be friendly guys

Yes, it's kinda sad to think that we were stealing money from people basically. Regging them here and there for things they didn't really need, sell a book, sell a course, and hey while your at it buy a dvd.

org I worked at we worked hard to get 150,000 to 160,000 every week

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
We had 110 staff when I left - which was this week mind you.

our GI Went from 150,000 to 160,000 - money of course stolen from patrons and raw public

raw public? BR - 20/30 on a good day 10/15 on a bad day. WIs were about 5/10

patrons we we had about 100 in our org at one time or more.

just trying to be friendly guys

Would you mind saying which org? What are BR and WIs? Do you know the org's recent stats like WDAHs and Student Comps (assuming Div 4 still exists)? Do they still do auditor training?

Paul

P.S. Well done on leaving!

Would you mind saying which org? What are BR and WIs? Do you know the org's recent stats like WDAHs and Student Comps (assuming Div 4 still exists)? Do they still do auditor training?

Paul

P.S. Well done on leaving!
DIV 1 - 6 A,b, and c as well as div 7. still exist

Most recent stats from last Friday ( I wasn't there for staff meeting but someone had relayed stats to me ) there are two sides to the org FDN (foundation) and DAY. This was night or foundation staff
WDAH - 120
VSD (value services delivered) highest ever
Student Completions - 15 and they all went on to their next course
HITC(hours in the course room) 1100
NISC (new intro services completed) 85 highest ever
-watched a film
-took a oca
- toured for more then 30 minutes
- bought a course
GI (gross income) 155,000
BIS ( body's in the shop) 450
- between div 6 and div 2
- basically patrons in the bookstore, course room, or HGC (Hubbard guidance center)
RBS (raw books sold) - 30
- a new person who's never bought a book before

Last edited:

Bad Sign

Patron

Most recent stats from last Friday ( I wasn't there for staff meeting but someone had relayed stats to me ) there are two sides to the org FDN (foundation) and DAY. This was night or foundation staff
WDAH - 120
-watched a film
-took a oca
- bought a course
- basically patrons in the bookstore, course room, or HGC (Hubbard guidance center)

Very productive. Was this an average week or an anomaly? Can you give a rough idea where, which country, north, south, east, west?

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Let me dig out one of my receipts - I'll show ya~ not saying cos is fucking fantastic I was just saying I got paid a decent wage.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to do that. Some on this forum are quite the Doubting Thomases. :biggrin:

If you say that was what you got paid, then I believe you. However, I must say that I am very surprised. Every org that I have come across (mainly in the UK) has been starved of cash. The only staff who ever made a liveable wage were those who sold 'extras' direct to the public. Books, tapes, CDs, DVDs and other materials. And some of the *spits* FSMs who prowled around the orgs and missions looking for raw meat to plunder and take their pound of flesh. Money that came out of the pockets of the hard-working staff, as well as the poor sods who got ambushed.

The vast majority of staff were living below the poverty line. if they didn't have a 2nd (or 3rd) job or someone to support them, they were not going to stay on post very long.

Axiom142

hummingbird

Patron with Honors
It's funny... the crappy staff pay made it easy for me to leave. I remember one day having the realization that if I were to quit, I'd be giving up at most $5 to $10 a week. When I was later ushered out by the local Guardians Office rep, it was a relief just to go home and forgeddabout.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
It's funny... the crappy staff pay made it easy for me to leave. I remember one day having the realization that if I were to quit, I'd be giving up at most $5 to $10 a week. When I was later ushered out by the local Guardians Office rep, it was a relief just to go home and forgeddabout.

I think things were very different when I was in. I had no money but I could walk out and I could hitch hike, there were no bicycle riding guards in those days no mobile phones and escape was easier. The GO rep threw staff out, OSA hold them in. Different times.

wigee1

Patron with Honors
"Wasn't there but someone relayed the stats," There's your out- point, What were the Stats really,? Your walking on the side of being a Troll,
One thing I've noticed about Scientology stats, is they're very PTS. Up one week down for 2, mission comes in , Presto its backup, Mission leave, Town, Back down, Scientology can never change, that's why 7000 Ex don't believe you. Is the IAS a org GGI stat , and a percentage
siphoned off.
And is Bodies in the shop BTs, that number sounds high, using the 20/80 rule.

Then again I'm only a bitter and twisted Ex.........Granitt.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors

WDAH - 120
-watched a film
-took a oca
- bought a course

ok, thanks for the info. But I have to question.

GI is $155,000 divided by the figure you stated of 110 staff = $1409 per staff member. And you stated you made what was it, $550 per week. Your staff pay is almost half the per staff member Gross Income figure per staff member. I find this hard to believe from my experiences on staff. What this figure is basically saying about one half of the gross income goes to staff pay. That is hard to believe.

But, I do know some things have changed. Old timers here might not know this, maybe even you and maybe you can confirm if you know.

1. Book commissions and reg commissions no longer go the individual but to the staff pay pool. It's split up amongst all staff, a change from the past.

2. IAS commissions, front group regging commissions, etc. all go to the pool of staff pay, same as no. 1.

If the org hosts a IAS event, or front group event or Flag event or Idle Org event, maybe the gross proceeds of 10% cut go to staff pay, and also the Speaker gets his 10% cut? This I don't know, and, if true, would explain why staff get "gung-ho" (money motivation) about the Ideal Org program.

But, if what I tell here in this post is true, then staff pay will reduce as public get fed up with the out- exchange of regging for pure donations.

:confused2:

Any thoughts?

myrklix

Patron with Honors
GI is $155,000 ...

BIG assumption that it's dollars, US, Canadian, Aussie, NZ or otherwise. He/she won't even say what org or what country or give other hard facts.
Just not believable.

I still like DOF's suggestion that the GI number is in lira. :)

beltway

Bone Idle
Is it possible the cult has very recently shifted to paying more humane wages in an attempt to discredit ALL the books and documentaries over the years that have exposed its long standing 'tradition' of brutal, often illegal staff work conditions, treatment and pay? Tony Ortega was interviewed in "Going Clear", being just one of those who mentioned that staff were routinely paid $50 USD a week and often much less.

The cult might well be involved in all sorts of 'PR Rehab' under critics' radar. Perhaps once they are complete the new cult "network" will feature them as if they've always been there, trumpeting loudly what terrible, awful liars critics are. "$50 a week? Why, here are staff pay stubs!" Of course they will be very recent stubs, but potential marks who don't know an engram from a grandma won't care.

There's even a precedent... Remember this? "They say we break up marriages? Why, that's a lie, when we've just put out this book called "How to save your marriage" (complete with kindergarten-level pencil-drawn paper cover illustration hurriedly completed minutes before the interview)!"

Seriously, if that's what's going on, thank you WTFDIGMI for the heads-up. If that's not what's going on, thanks all the same and grats on the exit. With a cult this dirty, being prepared for the worst is just good business.

No doubt the cult paying anything remotely like a living wage is extremely difficult to believe for those who have 'been there' since the cult's practice almost from the start has been to unmercifully squeeze its brainwashed and psychologically boxed-in marks for all they're worth while giving back as little as possible, with staff and CBorg usually getting the very worst of it.

The receipt mentioned would be very interesting, indeed.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
BIG assumption that it's dollars, US, Canadian, Aussie, NZ or otherwise. He/she won't even say what org or what country or give other hard facts.
Just not believable.

I still like DOF's suggestion that the GI number is in lira. :)

I like to speculate as much as the next exscn, well it could be Roubles or Yen or Taiwanese dollars, for an org to be self sufficient it would have had to have been far from the Sea Org's control in my day. However it does sound like the SO recruiters are very close. The only way my org would have had that kind of money would have been by not refunding and not letting people buy books from their accounts. It could be in a country where there's few books in the native language, somewhere like Hungary or Latvia, somewhere it would be very easy to recruit staff.

Or we could of course wait for the OP to tell us...