What's new

SternTV: Scientologist leaves the cult on camera (with English subs)

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
From WWP with thanks: SternTV: Scientologist leaves the cult on camera (with English subs):

A well done German tv report about a young man who recently left the CoS (and who some here may know from youtube).

Many thanks to Ackerland, Indeed, moarxenu and the German anons who helped with transcribing and translating the vids and article.

YouTube- Lino on Stern TV, 17.02.2010 Part 1 of 3

YouTube- Lino on Stern TV, 17.02.2010 Part 2 of 3

YouTube- Lino on Stern TV, 17.02.2010 Part 3 of 3

original article: Scientology-Aussteiger Lino Bombonato: Wenn Freunde zu Feinden werden - Stern TV | STERN.DE

English Translation

Quote: Ex-Scientologist Lino Bombonato

When Friends Turn Enemies

Scientology was Lino Bombonato's life: For seven years the man from the Rhineland region was preoccupied with the cult, worked for it at very low wages and even spied on opponents of the cult in the end. But then his conception of a happy Scientology world began to crack.

Actually it was just a personality test on the Scientology homepage [No comma] which made Lino Bombonato become curious in 2003. For example the 15-year old was asked about his mood, whether he slept well or whether he tends to be jealous. The pupil answers the questions and offers his contact data as well. Shortly thereafter he's on his way to Düsseldorf: He wants to ask about the test results at the local Scientology church.

Big Career in Scientology

But it doesn't end with the supposed personality test - The people from Scientology get the young man from the Rhineland [Omit "region"] interested- and make him enthusiastic for the idea of a membership. Lino Bombonato found the idea of "self-development" intriguing. That's why he began attending courses at the Scientology church in Düsseldorf. Shortly thereafter he makes a big career in the cult. Lino Bombonato feels secure and respected by the Scientologists. During this time, the cult was "like a family" he says today. The young man becomes a member of the Scientologist intelligence agency, spies on critics and tries to disrupt protests by opponents of the cult.

Meanwhile his relationship with his parents gets worse and worse. Lino Bombonato only keeps up the contact because of the money - as being a member of Scientology is costly. Because his father is opposed to the cult, Lino Bombonato is unable to get to a higher position within the organization. Suicide appears as the last option to change this. The Scientologists have talked him into the mindset that he might be reborn into "better conditions" after his death, ie with parents, who are themselves Scientologists.

Failed Suicide Attempt

But the suicide attempt fails: Lino Bombonato is found in time. But still the young man does not consider leaving. It's his work in intelligence that opens his eyes later on: Actually, he only chats with members of an Anti-Scientology-Organization in order to spy on them. But the contact becomes closer.

When Scientology turned suspicious, Lino Bombonato has to justify himself in front of the people occupying upper positions in the cult in so-called ethics sessions. During these, he is [Omit " being"] connected to a lie detector. Due to his conversations with an opponent of Scientology, Lino Bombonato decides to lie during the test. The device doesn't recognize the lie. Lino Bombonato is in shock - he had actually strongly believed in the device's functionality.

A Friend Betrays Lino Bombonato

He confides his doubts to a friend - but he betrays him. Scientology sentences Lino Bombonato to further ethics sessions. At the end of May 2009 his decision has been made: The 22-year old (at the time) wants to leave. In person he goes into the Scientology church and announces his decision. The cult members react coolly - no one seems to be interested in Lino Bombonato. "That was a bitter realization, they treated me like someone who is all of a sudden worth nothing", the young man says today.

After his exit Lino Bombonato is confronted with having nothing: He is 8000 euros in debt at the bank and has to pay off loans, which he took in order to finance his membership with the cult. He has no education. He dropped out after secondary school. Seven years of his life given away for nothing.

Ex-Member Turns Towards The Future

Scientology took almost everything from the 23-year old - still the cult doesn't leave him in peace. The Scientologists try to ruin his reputation on the internet, use personal details against him. In spite of this, Lino Bombonato turns towards the future: He wants to pay back his debts. And he wants to learn a profession - preferably one where he can help other people.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
The CofS actually suggested suicide so he could get a baby body with a Scn family? What levels of crap will the CofS stoop too?

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's a great story. And you can see the truth in this story as well. I wish him the best and that he finds the strength he needs in his own family.

Mystic

Crusader
Oh oh oh, very very well done!!!

And a High Definition vid too, you can watch it full screen like a movie.

This is a "Must See".

I think I'll go outside and sing An die freude (4th Movement Beethoven's 9th).

Last edited:

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent media coverage!

Kudos to you Lino Bombonato, you're stronger than you think or were ever led to believe.

byte301

Crusader
What a beautiful kid. Glad he's out. He's way too good for the cult. That hurt watching his dad.

I hope he's doing well now.

minnie

Patron with Honors
Well done to Lino and Ursula.

What a lot of debt incurred at his age, and despite being on staff supposedly getting so much for free, yeah right.

One of my first experiences in the cult was being regged by the Tours reges and a couple of others who were tagging on the 'cycle' to exhaust thousands of a small inheritance I had just come into. It was extremely uncomfortable being made to call the family solicitor (who I had never had reason to ring before), and coached on what to say. Young and naive about many things in adult life, all I could think of was 'is this a normal occurrence in general business in society'?

That money could have acted as a reserve to use, considering, as I soon found out, that one got next to no pay as a staff member. It really is criminal taking money from young people like this. :angry:

It also felt to me like I dishonoured the legacy of the family member who provided this sum of money as a safeguard for my welfare.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Amazing stuff. So glad that this kid made it out.

The Co$ is beyond dispicable; this is why it is so important to do everything one can, legally, to shut this pit of inhuman filth down... Hard.

When I see guys like Rathburn and even Helmut attempt to wash away the wrongs as solely a 'DM' problem... it makes me want to puke; Lcon is at work at all levels of Scn. and thus the filth is permeated throughout the 'tek'.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent

Excellent of German TV to do this. Now where are the balls on USA journalists/tv hosts? Oprah - ? Can you confront TC? :omg:

Lino is a very handsome young man - I hope he feels supported in his courageous decision, and gets his life together, as well as his family. He's a thousand times better off OUT. :yes: :thumbsup: Way to go, Lino.

Well done to Lino and Ursula.

What a lot of debt incurred at his age, and despite being on staff supposedly getting so much for free, yeah right.

One of my first experiences in the cult was being regged by the Tours reges and a couple of others who were tagging on the 'cycle' to exhaust thousands of a small inheritance I had just come into. It was extremely uncomfortable being made to call the family solicitor (who I had never had reason to ring before), and coached on what to say. Young and naive about many things in adult life, all I could think of was 'is this a normal occurrence in general business in society'?

That money could have acted as a reserve to use, considering, as I soon found out, that one got next to no pay as a staff member. It really is criminal taking money from young people like this. :angry:

It also felt to me like I dishonoured the legacy of the family member who provided this sum of money as a safeguard for my welfare.

Demand a complete refund! :) Were you a minor at the time?

Barbz

Patron with Honors
That poor kid. I want to hug his troubles away. Happily, he has parents who can do that now.

He's free to live his life and I wish him all the best.

minnie

Patron with Honors
Demand a complete refund! :) Were you a minor at the time?

No. I was a naive 18 year old.

I would like a refund for other reasons anyway, and not for only what was purchased at that time. I am waiting for the legal brains to formulate the right type of suit so many of us can get our monies back on just about any and all courses or auditing actions we bought from the cult.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
No. I was a naive 18 year old.

I would like a refund for other reasons anyway, and not for only what was purchased at that time. I am waiting for the legal brains to formulate the right type of suit so many of us can get our monies back on just about any and all courses or auditing actions we bought from the cult.

IANAL but from the reading I have being doing recently, it seems to fall well within the fiduciary construct fraud area. We will see.