Joel Phillips, owner of
American Coast Title

Cease and Desist
Re: Illegal content on religiousfreedomwatch.org
Joel Phillips
P.O. Box 50744
Pasadena, CA 91115

Dear Mr. Phillips:

It has come to my attention that you have a picture and my name on the front page of your website under the banner “Exposing Religious Intolerance” and mixed in with the pictures and names of convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists, such as the infamous Ted Patrick who was once found guilty and jailed for kidnaping and “deprogramming” people into giving up their religious beliefs and membership.

This is guilt by association, and also libelous. Nothing in my history remotely qualifies me for this category. Moreover, my name links to a page filled with false and vicious claims about me, basically calling me psychotic and a liar, a clear attack on my character. Not only is the information false and libelous, but it is obviously intended to subject me to ridicule and hatred and harm me financially. I feel physically and financially threatened by it and regard it as a form of extortion designed to silence and harass me for my role in blowing the whistle on the abuses of David Miscavige that I personally witnessed and experienced while a member of the Sea Org at the International Base (“Int Base”) outside Hemet, California.

Recently, yet another former high-ranking Sea Org member has gone public with abuse stories similar to mine. Debbie Cook, a 29-year member of the Sea Org and the Captain of the Flag Service Organization for 17 years, testified under oath in a Texas Court that she witnessed David Miscavige pummel Marc Yager just as I witnessed, one of Scientology’s highest ranking international executives and was herself the brunt of physical abuse by order of Miscavige — as was I. She told of being taken to “the Hole,” a double-wide trailer with bars on the windows and a guard at the door where she was kept for 7 weeks. Dozens of other international executives were also imprisoned there and forced to sleep on an ant-infested floor. She testified that Miscavige beat another staff member and then forced him to lick a bathroom floor for half an hour.

This is the sort of behavior I refuse to tolerate and am working to expose. Such conduct is not religious, it is not Scientology. I am a Scientologist myself and am tolerant of other religions.

You may choose not to believe me, Debbie, and many other whistleblowers — all former high-ranking Sea Org members who are making similar claims, but you weren’t there and I was. You have never contacted me to verify your statements nor obtain my version of the events. Obviously, you were not present and have no first hand information. At best, you are relying on information given you. At worst, you made it up.

An investigation of the facts and circumstances would clear the air and determine the truth of the matter. The convening authority for worldwide matters, the Executive Director International, Guilliame LeServe, however, is not on post. David Miscavige removed him, even though Miscavige lacks the power to do so under LRH policy and corporate bylaws. I know; I saw Guilliame imprisoned in the same gulag that came to be known at “the Hole.” There are no internal mechanisms to handle the current situation. Miscavige has eliminated all the internal checks and balances put in place by LRH.

I chose to go public with my claims rather than remain silent. The choice was clear: either speak up and use the heart of Scientology — communication and confront — to strike a blow to the cancer killing Scientology or remain silent while people were being harmed and abused through the criminal actions of a corrupt dictator who believes himself to be above the law.

I view your actions to be in retaliation for me speaking out. I know the game. Your orders ultimately emanate from OSA Int, which, in turn, is micro-managed by David Miscavige, however the actual channels of communication have been disguised. Clearly, you are acting on orders, not an independent investigation.

Not only do the things said about me by you defame me, but, they harass and subject me to hatred and ridicule that put me in fear for my safety. Because you falsely position me as being anti-Scientology, rather than pro-Scientology/anti-abuses of Miscavige, and because Miscavige has exalted himself as some sort of supreme ruler and savior of Scientology in the eyes of many members who refuse to make independent investigations or think for themselves, I fear that one of your misinformed website visitors may harm me physically as a righteous act.

Perhaps unknown to you, the defamatory and hateful content on your website concerning me — and other whistleblowers against Miscavige’s inhumane treatment of Int Base staff — is just one of many hate websites naming me (and other whistleblowers). Each and every one of them emanate from Miscavige through whatever channels, however disguised. As you are fully aware, no Scientologist in good standing would dare make a public statement concerning Scientology without clearance from OSA.

Additional information that may be unknown to you is that the hate websites are only one component of Miscavige’s retaliatory campaign against me and other whistleblowers. He has directed Scientologists to physically harass whistleblowers in front of their homes. He has directed private investigators to surveil us. He has sent teams of Scientologists to badger us, and to contact us by phone and through email making attempts to coerce our silence. He has tracked the airplane flights of whistleblowers through an in-house travel agency, knowing when we booked a flight and having investigators at the other end waiting for our arrivals. Apparently he has illegally obtained private information, such as phone records and even had email accounts illegally hacked into.

Your actions against me are part of a pattern of conduct which combine to make a credible threat that I will be physically and otherwise harmed unless and until I discontinue my efforts to expose Miscavige’s criminal actions and abuses.

Therefore, your conduct violates state and federal cyberstalking laws, 18 USC Sec. 2261A and California Penal Code Sec. 653, as well as California Code Sec. 646.9. Section 646.9 defines “credible threat” to include a “threat implied by a pattern of conduct or a combination of verbal, written, or electronically communicated statements and conduct. (Emphasis added.)

Your crimes constitute “hate crimes” under both California and federal law. See, e.g., California Penal Code Secs. 422.55 & 422.6 because they are clearly motivated by hatred toward the exercise of my religion. I am an independent Scientologist and am associated with persons who have also left the Church of Scientology to practice their religion independently of the Church.

Please take special note: California law also creates a right of action in Civil Code Sec. 1708.7.

I request that you immediately cease and desist carrying my name or image on your website. Otherwise, I intend to seek legal redress.

Mr. Phillips, we don’t know each other. I have asked around about you and have learned that you are, as I am, a Scientologist, a professional, and a successful businessman. I have been persuaded that your criminal actions against me are atypical of your character and personality.

Let me point out what I believe are applicable LRH references.

You seem to be unaware of my lengthy service in the Sea Org, and my substantial contributions to Scientology. Please see the attached. I encourage you to investigate my record and compare it to the contributions of other Scientologists you know, including your own.

I am in a different category by LRH policy than a person such as Ted Patrick, who was never a Scientologist and even publicly called Scientology a fraud. Unlike me, he was truly religiously intolerant. You cannot honestly compare me to him.

Furthermore, LRH warned us not to treat Scientologists who leave or are let go as though they have evil intentions. See, the lecture entitled “Attitude & Conduct of Scientology,” dated 3 November 1955 from the 4th London ACC. In that lecture he said, among other things, the following:

● “It’s because they are people of good intention. And by saying that these people are not fit to associate with us anymore, we have told a lie of magnitude. This is not true. It’s never true. You got it?”

● “Our inability to understand the actions of other Scientologists has a very fascinating barrier. The limitation on our understanding is simply this: we say they have bad intentions, and that is a lie. Got it?

“So the whole situation is liable to enturbulate around that postulated bad intention. That’s what enturbulates the situation. That makes a lie.

“The situation then becomes unsolvable. Because we’ve entered a changing factor called a lie into it.”

Note: This explains why we have a growing independent movement in Scientology, bad press and Internet, governmental investigations. The situation isn’t resolving and won’t resolve by falsely labeling, attacking, and harassing whistleblowers.

● “This guy says he’s been hurt, he’s screaming to high heaven, let’s try and give him a hand.

“In view of the fact that he’s in Scientology the probability is that he’s – actually has been hurt. See? He probably...that’s the... the probabilities are very in favor of that. And he isn’t just standing there screaming, or she isn’t just standing there screaming and saying, “I’ve been done in,” just to stand there and say, “I’ve been done in,” see?”

Note: Precisely. When I learned the correct legal definitions of words like “assault” and “battery” I understood for the first time that I myself had clearly been assaulted and battered by David Miscavige on multiple occasions in addition to being falsely imprisoned at the Int Base on numerous occasions. So were others. It really happened, and is probably continuing to happen, Mr. Phillips. I witnessed many others being assaulted and battered by David Miscavige. The single instance that you site on your website, although you were not even there, happened not in November 2003 but in the first part of December and the assailant, David Miscavige, was there.

● “Well, I hate to unsettle a very stable datum, if it does unsettle it. But the only way anything ever does resolve is by letting your own kind heart reach through. That’s the only way it ever does solve. And it never solves by being tough.”

● “But we do not, I repeat, do not, separate them from Scientology or Scientology organizations, nor at any moment fail to give them organizational support or cooperation in the starting of any new activity in which they wish to engage for the benefit of Scientology. You got that?

“In other words, the arduous lesson along this line is that no-communication lists, revocation/suspension of certificates, court action of any kind whatsoever within the realm of Scientology and so forth, is not only – not only difficult to do but does not work. That’s just the end of it. It just doesn’t work. It’s for the sea gulls. That might work in Gestetner Limited or Westinghouse, but it does not work in Scientology. Got that?”

As LRH also said in this lecture, people who leave the Church “seldom go off and suck their thumbs dismally.” We are former Sea Org members. We will not rest until the crimes and inhumane treatment by David Miscavige are brought to light for one significant reason: others are still at risk.

Second, I refer you to The Third Party Law, which I contend is at play here. You don’t know me or what I witnessed at Int Base. You have been “told” that I am a bad guy, a liar who falsely claims that Miscavige committed crimes. Today in Scientology, we have a fractured membership, each side pitted against the other.

Consider a third party at work. Consider the possibility that Miscavige is really brutal and, in the words of Debbie Cook, “vicious beyond belief.”

You are a businessman. If you were accused of torturing and assaulting your employees, what would you do? Try to defame, harass and subject your accusers to hatred and ridicule that put them in fear for their safety? If dozens of parties came forward over a period substantiating those same charges, would the co-owners of your business continue to ignore their allegations if you slandered them? What if those charges were being made against one of your employees? Would you not investigate?

I know the answer to those questions. You/they would independently investigate the charges. If the accusers really were liars, lawful action would be taken against them. If there was merit to the charges, you or the employee would be let go. Professionals and responsible people don’t rely on intimidation and slander as defenses to serious charges; they investigate and handle the underlying situations. In your job, you wouldn’t accept your employees using against their critics the same kind of tactics and invective you have used against me.

I suggest that an honest investigation by you or others would reveal a third party at work and lead to a resolution of the overall situation, blowing charge for the group and allowing us to establish ARC (affinity + reality + communication = understanding) and join together to take Scientology’s true message to the world.

Apparently Miscavige is afraid of an honest investigation and would rather hide in the chaos created by engaging in a campaign of libel and other illegal retaliatory actions.

I am not against the Church; I am a loyal Scientologist against criminality, abuse, intolerance and corruption.

A copy of this letter is being directed to your company’s co-owners and its underwriter for their roles and legal responsibility in the website.

A copy of this letter is also being sent to David Miscavige. He bears ultimate responsibility for the overall, multi-pronged retaliatory program against me and others who have blown the whistle on his own criminal actions and inhuman treatment of staff members.

Regardless of what David Miscavige does, I insist that you comply with the law.

I hereby demand that you cease and desist your online attacks against me. Please remove my name and photograph, as well as the offensive, demeaning, degrading, false, scandalous, harassing, threatening statements, from any and all web pages on your site, and links to pages containing them, and notify me that you have done so.

Sincerely,

Steve Hall
March 22, 2012

cc:
West Coast Internet
34700 Pacific Coast Hwy. Ste. 308
Capistrano Beach, CA 92624
Attention: Paul Quaranto

Joel Phillips
American Coast Title
1119 W. Glenoaks Blvd
Glendale, CA 91202

Linda Blood
American Coast Title
1119 W. Glenoaks Blvd
Glendale, CA 91202

Frank Berriz
American Coast Title
1119 W. Glenoaks Blvd
Glendale, CA 91202

Legal Department
Stewart Title Co.
525 N. Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91203

David Miscavige
c/o Elliot Abelson, Attorney at Law
8491 W. Sunset Boulevard, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, California 90069-1911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachment

Veda

Sponsor
from
http://www.scientology-cult.com/american-coast-title-cyberstalking.html

American Coast Title: Cyberstalking Cease and Desist
Thursday, 22 March 2012 20:03

Joel Phillips, owner of
American Coast Title

Cease and Desist
Re: Illegal content on religiousfreedomwatch.org
Joel Phillips
P.O. Box 50744
Pasadena, CA 91115

Dear Mr. Phillips:

It has come to my attention that you have a picture and my name on the front page of your website under the banner “Exposing Religious Intolerance” and mixed in with the pictures and names of convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists, such as the infamous Ted Patrick who was once found guilty and jailed for kidnaping and “deprogramming” people into giving up their religious beliefs and membership.

This is guilt by association, and also libelous. Nothing in my history remotely qualifies me for this category.

-snip-

The Intra-Hubbardite war continues...

Off hand, can anyone list the other "convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists" mentioned by Steve Hall?

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well Veda let's examine the idea of criminality from the Church's side of things

According to the RFW site Hall is guilty of have BTs that one time or another were either stuck to Jesus Christ or soemwhere through time somehow got bunched up with BTs that were previously stuck to Jesus Christ or to BTs that were two or more times removed from being associated with BTs who were associated with BTs that were associated with Jesus Christ and Buddha as well.

Another crime was supposedly experiencing some OT phenomena of having receieved some form of communique from a deceased spouse of someone in the Church.

Another crime of Hall is that he makes "claims" to have worked assidously on some important project or something somesuch but according to the Church was really off peeling potatoes, well not literally of course.

And another crime of Steve Hall was that he claimed that he saw the Pope on a Rope being present during en episode of pysical violence but the Church says that the Pope on a Rope was 10,000 miles away and they probably have hundreds of sworns affidavits by "volunteers" to coroborate this. Of course they don't say if he was 10,000 miles away in a westerly direction, or easterly.

Interesting piece of cock n bull follows from
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/anti-religious-extremists/steve-hall/

Please note the signifigance of Hall's alledged current occupation of cleaning dog doo off of lawns that it warrants mention.

===========

Steve Hall: A former Church of Scientology scriptwriter with a dismal production record. He serves as “webmaster” for the Rathbun “Posse” and ekes out a living scooping doggie droppings from suburban lawns. He is further known within the “Posse” for apparently creating the universe (not necessarily in seven days) and claims he was previously both Jesus and the Buddha (not necessarily in that order).

But for the truly incisive character sketch, the one that explains why the tabloid host’s own introduction was kept to an absolute minimum, Steve Hall himself would like us to know he was previously:

A) Gautama Siddhartha
B) Jesus Christ
C) The Italian Renaissance painter, Tintoretto
D) And prior to all the above, he additionally co-created the universe with God.

All of which further explains why the tabloid host assured a Church spokesperson that he saw nothing of interest in what Hall had to say and thus asked no questions regarding Hall…

All of which, in turn, meant the Church never had an opportunity to present Steve Hall to television viewers in terms of what he really represented…

Namely: A new low in tabloid journalism for the fact that the host was so hard up to find anyone who would corroborate Rathbun’s tall tales, he brought on someone known to one and all who worked with him as a “complete nutcase.”

So to set the record straight, here’s the real Steve Hall:

In addition to aforementioned claims that he was Jesus, Buddha and co-creator of the Universe, Hall maintains he was the “scriptwriter” for the ecclesiastic leader of the religion.

It’s a statement former co-workers describe as “patently false” and in the words of a senior Church official:

“By that definition, a person peeling potatoes in the army is ’The President’s Potato Peeler.’”

Then there was Steve Hall as “He Who Communes with the Dearly Departed.”

When the wife of a co-worker passed away in 1998, Hall presents the still grieving widower with a letter he supposedly “channeled” from beyond the veil. It’s maudlin beyond description and filled with statements intended to convince the man his late wife had elected Hall as the family’s new protector. As a matter of fact, the only distinction between Hall’s letter and a classic graveside con is that Hall actually believes he can speak to the dead.

When apprised of the letter, the host drips crocodile tears and tells the Church spokesperson:

“Oh my God, that’s terrible. I can’t believe that anybody would do that.”

While just for good measure, the widower himself writes to the host:

“[Hall’s message] was no more a communication from my wife of 11 years than had Steve handed me the Poughkeepsie, New York, phone book. There is not one turn of phrase or sentiment that even remotely rings of anything she would have said, or represents the relationship I had with her.”

To which he adds with emphasis:

“I am outraged that any journalist, particularly one from a respected outlet such as yours, would consider [Hall] a credible source in any way—much less entertain anything he had to say.”

True to form, the host never even responds to the widower’s letter. Moreover, when the Church spokesperson presses the point, one of the show’s producers informs him that just because Hall maintains a hotline to the dead didn’t mean he couldn’t stand in as a believable source.

But, of course, there’s another way to interpret all such messages from beyond the bounds of any credibility.

That is, if Steve Hall was the best the tabloid show could dredge up through the course of nine months, then just how desperate were they to find someone who could corroborate the stories of Marty Rathbun?

And when it came to the actual broadcast—hammering home the point that Hall was there for corroboration and corroboration only—his sole action was to parrot the allegations of the others with a mandatory tale of abuse from November 2003.

Only problem: In November 2003, the alleged assailant was 10,000 miles away.

And whatever else Hall told the host in his incoherent ramblings—that ended up on the cutting room floor.

So that’s how one tabloid television show corroborates their sources—through the words of a man who both painted Jesus and was Jesus, depending on which incarnation you’re talking about.

Veda

Sponsor
I'm not much interested in regurgitating the oobleck spread by Scientology Inc. about Steve Hall. They're aplying Hubbard's instructions (teachings), and I'm already familiar with how that goes.

What I am curious about is just who Steve Hall regards as those on RFW, with whom he's complaining about being associated, and suffering "guilt through association," since these are "convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists."

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
What I am curious about is just who Steve Hall regards as those on RFW, with whom he's complaining about being associated, and suffering "guilt through association," since these are "convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists."

Everyone on there who criticizes Scientology and not just Miscavige, clearly. :)

HCOB 5 Nov 1967 said:
Now, get this as a technical fact, not a hopeful idea. Every time we have investigated the background of a critic of Scientology, we have found crimes for which that person or group could be imprisoned under existing law. We do not find critics of Scientology who do not have criminal pasts.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Originally Posted by HCOB 5 Nov 1967
Now, get this as a technical fact, not a hopeful idea. Every time we have investigated the background of a critic of Scientology, we have found crimes for which that person or group could be imprisoned under existing law. We do not find critics of Scientology who do not have criminal pasts.

Seems to conveniently ignore the fact that Scientologists could be included in this statement as well.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
The Intra-Hubbardite war continues...

Off hand, can anyone list the other "convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists" mentioned by Steve Hall?

One convicted felon comes to mind. Mary Sue Hubbard.

She was a notorious anti-religionist, being against Jews and Christians who believed in implants like the Ten Commandments that suppressed mankind into such aberrated behavior as "Do Not Lie" and "Do Not Steal".

In fact, Mary Sue went to federal prison for practicing her own religion by stealing government documents and lying about it.

However, on the positive side of things. . .

Mary Sue was a courageous defender of her husband's religion, when the rabid anti-religionist Paulette Cooper tried to prevent Ron from practicing the religious rites of Scientology--where lying about OT states and stealing people's money are a holy sacrament.

In defiance of anti-religious terrorists like Paulette, Mary Sue and Ron selflessly crusaded a to help Paulette become a more ethical person like themselves and also clear up and strip off the false data "Do Not Murder".

Last edited:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not much interested in regurgitating the oobleck spread by Scientology Inc. about Steve Hall. They're aplying Hubbard's instructions (teachings), and I'm already familiar with how that goes.

Sorry about the mixup but I purposely didn't answer your question because I didn't know whether to say "everybody" (from a Steve Hall viewpoint) or "nobody" (from a more lucid viewpoint)

But then I got even more confused because Marty is in that lineup.

I can't figure the whole thing out and tend to get lost in the amusement of watching these guys hurl epithets at each other. So forgive me if sometimes I overlook some of the other things that other individuals like yourself find more disturbing.

What I do find disturbing is that Hall would only ask that he be taken off the list and not demand that the whole site be brought down and buried.

Rd00

HelluvaHoax!

Entirely lost to the fiercely "Independent" Clears and OT's in Rathbun's cult is the independent thought that Ron Hubbard's interpretation of "Religious Freedom" was the freedom to murder Paulette Cooper and others who dared to have an opinion he didn't agree with.

Besides missing the fact that Hubbard conspired to commit murder, they also don't realize that if Ron were actually "OT" he would not have failed to get his "product".

The layers of secrecy, lying and self-delusion these people have about their own "religion" really makes them quite pathetic.

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

What I do find disturbing is that Hall would only ask that he be taken off the list and not demand that the whole site be brought down and buried.

Rd00

It would seem that he regards the list as consisting of good in-ethics on-Source Scientologists, like himself, and, also, of bad SP types, such as the out-ethics, anti-LRH "convicted felons and notorious anti-religionists," with whom he is being smeared, by being placed in association.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I assume that case data about Steve Hall comes from his pc folders in the CofS's possession. No way would Phillips have access to those, so it makes sense that he has little to do with the text of what is posted on "his" RFW site.

Paul

Div6

Crusader
I assume that case data about Steve Hall comes from his pc folders in the CofS's possession. No way would Phillips have access to those, so it makes sense that he has little to do with the text of what is posted on "his" RFW site.

Paul

Good point, Paul. Plus it is utterly lost on them how their "putting it out there" makes them look even crazier than they are. If all that were "true" why did they continue to "employ" him as long as they did?

ChurchOfCylontology

Patron with Honors
Would someone please explain what this spat is all about (in simple terms), please? When I read these accusations, they all sound the same and I can't tell what is going on in between the Scientologese that reads like translated electronics instructions.

Sindy

Crusader

Paul

Exactly. That exact data, about Steve, was shown to me and my husband when we went into give our resignation. We complained that we were being shown data that was supposed to be kept confidential. They didn't know how to handle us. So, here I am. :)

HelluvaHoax!

Would someone please explain what this spat is all about (in simple terms), please? When I read these accusations, they all sound the same and I can't tell what is going on in between the Scientologese that reads like translated electronics instructions.

It is simply nothing more or less than Scientologists applying the finger-pointing, attacking, lying, manufacturing evidence, Fair Gaming tactics.

The only difference is that they are doing against another Scientologist who claims, like themselves, to be a true KSW Scientologist.

Scientologists will attack and try to destroy anyone if they think they can get more admiration, money, status or karmic brownie points for it.

REMINDER: Never trust a Scientologist. They are not loyal to anyone, including L. Ron Hubbard (see COB's cv).