What's new

Steven Hassan: Combating Cult Mind Control book trailer

Glenda

Crusader
How well I remember the day this book (first edition) arrived into my life. I was terrified, aware only that my mind had been invaded and that before me was a big job. I had been subjected to mind-control for the previous 20 years (in scientology). I wanted my own thoughts back. I wanted to just be myself but didn't have a clue how to get home to myself. I unwrapped the book sitting on the living room floor, literally shaking. So began the journey...

About six years have passed. I am doing great now. My life is peaceful, full of laughter, authentic feelings and thoughts which are all mine. I cannot express sufficient gratitude to Steven Hassan for his book/work. I sometimes think he helped save my life.

My warmest love to Steven Hassan. I am delighted to see this new edition in print. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5SKg5lEMAo&feature=youtu.be&a

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I purchased the Kindle edition after seeing Steven talk on the Toronto videos. It is useful to see his work with other destructive cults to compare against Scientology.

Glenda

Crusader
I purchased the Kindle edition after seeing Steven talk on the Toronto videos. It is useful to see his work with other destructive cults to compare against Scientology.

Yeah, I have found "comparative" work to other cults very helpful. Though I could not say I have done extensive comparative work, I have read several memoirs over the past few years which have helped align things in a, hopefully, more balanced way.

Kindle or book? I have Steven's other books in book form. Oh the dilemma...kindle or book? And will I ever get through the pile of books/kindles I have lined up to read? Should I just get a bigger bedside table - full dinning room size? Maybe develop super-oatee-powers to read and garden simultaneously? Scientology might be able to help me with that. :)

Jump

Operating teatime
Yeah, I have found "comparative" work to other cults very helpful. Though I could not say I have done extensive comparative work, I have read several memoirs over the past few years which have helped align things in a, hopefully, more balanced way.

Kindle or book? I have Steven's other books in book form. Oh the dilemma...kindle or book? And will I ever get through the pile of books/kindles I have lined up to read? Should I just get a bigger bedside table - full dinning room size? Maybe develop super-oatee-powers to read and garden simultaneously? Scientology might be able to help me with that. :)

Perfect for Leah's Troublemaker audiobook :)

Glenda

Crusader
Perfect for Leah's Troublemaker audiobook :)

Yes, that is the plan for Leah's book. I've read/heard such wonderful reviews about her reading this book I have decided to go the audio way. I can't seem to find an audiobook available here in NZ yet. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or something. :confused2:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, that is the plan for Leah's book. I've read/heard such wonderful reviews about her reading this book I have decided to go the audio way. I can't seem to find an audiobook available here in NZ yet. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or something. :confused2:

Do you have Audible over there?

Glenda

Crusader
Do you have Audible over there?

Yes we do but I can't find Leah's book in the audiobook listings. Not sure why, maybe some sort of distribution thing, or maybe I am being tech-deficient - or maybe OSA hate me. Oh wait, there's no "maybe" about that. It's a conspiracy I tell ya. :wink2:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes we do but I can't find Leah's book in the audiobook listings. Not sure why, maybe some sort of distribution thing, or maybe I am being tech-deficient - or maybe OSA hate me. Oh wait, there's no "maybe" about that. It's a conspiracy I tell ya. :wink2:

If you know someone in the US, they should be able to purchase it as a gift for you.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Thanks for sharing this, Glenda. :thumbsup:
I'm going to pick up the new edition as soon as I can.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Steve Hassan is the best

Steve makes an excellent point regarding the Going Clear book and movie. Wright/Gibney didn't address the mind control game that Scientology perpetrates on its followers. That's a huge omission! Why do brilliant people get sucked in?

The book and movie were just terrific but the COS was let off the hook since the basics of mind control were omitted.

Steve has been the best guide most of us could ask for in getting out of the cult. Although most of us got out because we had had enough or were asked to leave, the question that needs to be asked is, 'why were we willing to do all that in the first place?'

Steve answers that question clearly.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Does he deal with "Radical" Islam?

I don't know if he deals with it specifically in this book but he's written about and spoken about political cults, and how terrorists are created.

And the recipe for creating a terrorist isn't so different from creating a scientologist. :omg:

For any lurkers on here who haven't seen previous videos posted here with Steve there's some good ones, including in this thread:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ancy-Many-Steve-Hassan&highlight=steve+hassan

Glenda

Crusader
I don't know if he deals with it specifically in this book but he's written about and spoken about political cults, and how terrorists are created.

And the recipe for creating a terrorist isn't so different from creating a scientologist. :omg:

For any lurkers on here who haven't seen previous videos posted here with Steve there's some good ones, including in this thread:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ancy-Many-Steve-Hassan&highlight=steve+hassan

My bold second para.

Yep, scary thought, and scary to inspect on a personal level, but the raw reality of this stuff.

Would I have killed for the cause? I have inspected this. All I can say is I had zero compassion for certain sectors of society. It was drilled so hard into me that the authentic me, the caring kind empathetic person, was unable to be reached under certain circumstances. I was gone. The installed fanatical identity was highly activated. I still carry small amounts of shame for some of the things I did but with gentle care have found ways to not let it "rule" my sense of myself.