What's new

Successful de-cultifying

Veda

Sponsor
How to free Scientologists (such as girl friends and family members) from the Organization.

Is it hopeless?

Are there any accounts of successful approaches to helping Scientologists leave the Organization?

iStock_000066165009_Small-compressed.jpg

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
How to free Scientologists (such as girl friends and family members) from the Organization.

Is it hopeless?

Are there any accounts of successful approaches to helping Scientologists leave the Organization?

iStock_000066165009_Small-compressed.jpg
They will stay or go depending on what information is in their mind and if they can think rationally. It's a mind trap. They have to see that something is wrong before they will want to leave and then they may be afraid to leave for fear of what the consequences will be.

It's not totally hopeless. A lot of people have left already.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
1. Unfortunately, they will have to have enough bad experiences, over time, to finally be open to what you have to say.

2. This will vary greatly from individual to individual. No single approach fits everyone.

3. And even then they still may believe in "the tech".

phenomanon

Canyon
1. Unfortunately, they will have to have enough bad experiences, over time, to finally be open to what you have to say.

2. This will vary greatly from individual to individual. No single approach fits everyone.

3. And even then they still may believe in "the tech".
They are going to have to get out of COS.
They have to see that the "church" isn't one.
Then they can break free ( or not) of "the tech".

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
One problem is that scientologists believe that if they are critical of scientology then they must have overts against it. So if they want to leave the CofS they have to convince themselves that the tech is still good but the people running the organization are bad.

Once they've got this idea firmly in place then they can think about leaving but there is still the problem of knowing that they will lose family/friends and possibly even their eternal salvation if they are denied further access to the tech. It's only once they're out that they can decompress and start to think more clearly about the tech and everything else they've been told by Hubbard.

So maybe one line of reasoning would be to tell them the organization has gone bad since Hubbard left the body and the real tech is still available outside of the CofS.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
One problem is that scientologists believe that if they are critical of scientology then they must have overts against it. So if they want to leave the CofS they have to convince themselves that the tech is still good but the people running the organization are bad.

Once they've got this idea firmly in place then they can think about leaving but there is still the problem of knowing that they will lose family/friends and possibly even their eternal salvation if they are denied further access to the tech. It's only once they're out that they can decompress and start to think more clearly about the tech and everything else they've been told by Hubbard.

So maybe one line of reasoning would be to tell them the organization has gone bad since Hubbard left the body and the real tech is still available outside of the CofS.
Yup, I concur with this. Most Scientologists, I would guess, do not leave the organisation thinking "Scientology tech is bullshit". They leave thinking, "How dare you charge me for Review Auditing to fix the mess that YOU caused" or "Why the hell SHOULD I buy six sets of basics? How does that forward planetary clearing?" or "You're telling me I'm not Clear, after I've completed OTVII twice (once before the Golden Age of Golden Ages, and the second time that just TOOK ages)? Down the long snake to the start, and re-pay for the long ladder back up to OT." It's the injustices and inhumane treatment that finally makes people leave. They put up with it because they want OT, and then finally the penny drops that OT cannot be achieved in such a chaotic organisation (even if the tech itself works).

They leave to destimulate themselves from the chaos that the organisation introduces into their lives. THEN they worry about how they are going to progress spiritually. They are not going to listen to arguments based on "there are no OTs" at that stage. That point comes long after they have left the organisation. But they DO know that there's something wrong with the organisation. It's anybody's guess whether the OTVIII next door can actually read their minds ("he just seems to know what I am thinking. When he phoned me last week, I knew it was him before I picked the phone up). But they can't doubt the fact that there's something grossly wrong with the organisation: they've seen it with their own eyes. They only ignore it because the carrot of OT is so overwhelmingly potent. It's like having a $10 million-dollar-a-year job where the boss makes RIDICULOUS demands on you, and decimates your private life. You put up with it, because, who would give up a $10 million dollar a year job? But when he finally insists on penetrating you anally in the office toilet, you realise that the cost of your large salary is too much to pay. You leave, but you still WANT the salary. Telling people who are still in that the tech is bullshit is like telling this employee "you're not REALLY earning $10 million dollars a year".

I myself left the organisation as a true believer. At the age of 19, I was in a financial mess as a result of foolishly paying off my freeloader bill (I was threatened that if I didn't pay it off, they would add 20% interest every month, at one stage. I knew that was off-policy, but for some reason it still galvanised me into paying it off). I got into debt to pay that off, a combination of bank loans and credit cards. I think it was the mess caused by the debts that made me wake up. But even after I got declared, I was still in the mindset of "save up for the Bridge, and get the declare lifted so I can go up the Bridge". Then it morphed into, fuck the org, I'll go up the Bridge myself, now that I had a copy of the OT levels. But that step took several years.

W.