What's new

Swedish News Agency TT in media collaboration with Scientology

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Swedish News Agency TT in media collaboration with Scientology.

SVT Nhyter: Nyhetsbyrån TT i mediesamarbete med scientologer

https://www.svt.se/kultur/medier/nyhetsbyran-tt-inleder-scientologsamarbete

Google translations: https://translate.google.com/transl...ran-tt-inleder-scientologsamarbete&edit-text=

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

News Agency TT in media collaboration with scientologists

ZDJfmRP.jpg

Lina Hedenström, Vice President of the News Agency TT. To the right: Image and headings of the Committee on Human Rights Press Release. Photo: TT / Via TT

Since June, the news agency TT has had an agreement with the controversial Scientology organization "Human Rights Committee". KMR is dedicated to combating Swedish psychiatry, and has been criticized for spreading unscientific disinformation. Now, TT's press release sends to tens of thousands of recipients.

Through its press release, "Via TT", the news agency announced in the summer press releases headed "Not the people who are crazy - it's psychiatry!", "Psychiatry is the cause of the senseless violence" and "Overdose of medicine now a leading cause of death" .

The press releases are from the controversial Scientology organization "Human Rights Committee", which since the 1960s has worked on advocacy against Swedish psychiatry. Each press release reaches 40,000 readers according to TT's website, sent directly to reporters on Sweden's largest media and provided with TT's logo.

[SNIP]

References to independence

Lina Hedenström is vice president of the news agency TT and defends the cooperation. In addition to KMR, "Via TT" communicates press releases to the Swedish Transport Administration, the Social Democrats and Skansen. According to her, independence is central to the service "Via TT".

"Via TT" has quite strict guidelines for which we work and it is our responsibility to stand for independence. TT shall not take any political, religious or ethical status.

- We do not support any content, and it is clearly marked who the sender is. Very few would couple that TT stands for the content, it is long-term. The journalists who have access to the service have a look at what the source is.

However, if you search online for information on psychiatry or medication, anyone can find your press release. Make an individual the same score?

- I think it's quite long-term that a private individual reviews the content, and connects it with TT as a sender.

[SNIP]

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

News agency TT in commercial agreement with Scientology.

Dagens Media: The news agency TT in commercial agreement with scientologists

https://www.dagensmedia.se/medier/nyhetsbyran-tt-i-kommersiellt-avtal-med-scientologer-6864399

Google translation: https://translate.google.com/transl...llt-avtal-med-scientologer-6864399&edit-text=

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * *

The news agency TT in commercial agreement with scientologists

hBVWwMj.jpg

TT helps the disputed organization to spread messages through its press release service, writes SVT. "Is our mission to be independent," says TT.

Since June, the news agency TT has had commercial cooperation with the Scientology Organization "Human Rights Committee", reports SVT .

KMR aims to combat Swedish psychiatry, and is criticized for spreading disinformation. The news agency TT helps the organization to spread its press releases.

The press release service "Via TT" has sent out a message from the organization, saying: "Not the people who are crazy - it's psychiatry!", "Psychiatry is the cause of the senseless violence" and "Overdose of medicine now a leading cause of death".

Each press release reaches approximately 40,000 readers according to TT's site, and sent to reporters across the country's editors and media houses - with TT's logo.

Since the 1960s, KMR has been working on advocacy against Swedish psychiatry. Vanna Beckman, a science journalist, who has long watched the conflict between SMM and Swedish psychiatry says to SVT:

CommunicatorIC

News Agency TT cooperates with controversial organization Scientology.

Dagens Nyheter: TT samarbetar med kontroversiell organisation inom scientologerna

http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/tt-samarbetar-med-kontroversiell-organisation-inom-scientologerna/

Google translation: https://translate.google.com/transl...-organisation-inom-scientologerna/&edit-text=

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

TT cooperates with controversial organization within Scientologists

UPDATED YESTERDAY PUBLISHED 2017-08-10

Since the beginning of June, the controversial Scientologist organization "Human Rights Committee" has had a commercial cooperation with the news agency Telegrams Agency, reports SVT Nyheter.

TT provides a service called Via TT, where organizations can send out press releases to several of Sweden's editors. According to TT's website, the service can now reach 40,000 readers and press releases have TT's logo as well as the sender's logo with.

The "Human Rights Committee" has existed since the 1960s and has ties with the Church of Scientology. KMR works with advocacy against Swedish psychiatry and some of the latest press releases have headings like "Psychiatric medicine is Britain's third biggest cause of death", "It's not the people who are crazy - it's psychiatry!" And "Explosive development." 1.6 million take psychiatrists ".

- The "Human Rights Committee" sounds very fine, but founded in the 1960s by the Church of Scientology, and has the main task of counteracting psychiatry. Psycho drugs are their sworn enemy, and they call the mental health of the "death industry". They have no credibility in the subject, "says Vanna Beckman, a science journalist and author of books that deal with SMR's conflict with Swedish psychiatry, to SVT Nyheter .

She is worried that the press can harm individuals.

"It can cause people not to go to psychiatry, do not trust their medication or decide to cancel treatment. For a person with depression or bipolar disorder it is extremely serious, and can increase the risk of suicide. For care, or all logically thinking people at all, it is a monkey that false information is spread, "says Vanna Beckman to the news channel.

[SNIP]

"Via TT" has quite strict guidelines for which we work and it is our responsibility to stand for independence. TT shall not take any political, religious or ethical status. We are not behind any content, and it is clearly marked who the sender is. Very few would couple that TT stands for the content, it is long-term. The journalists who have access to the service have a look at what the source is, says Lina Hedenström, Deputy CEO of the News Agency TT to SVT Nyheter.

According to Lina Hedenström, Via TT's clients may not spread falsehoods or personal attacks, and she points out that TT is not behind the content. On a question, if TT takes responsibility for the content of the content, she answers:

- So, the truth, I do not know what the exact wording of our agreement is, but you can not spread spam for example, there is a framework of rules that the customer must relate to.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
From my understanding it appears that Scientology, via CCHR, has figured out a way to make it appear that their anti-psychiatry screeds have the endorsement of, and added legitimacy of Sweden's largest news service, TT.
That's bad enough.
Do I have it right?
The story's a bit confusing

CommunicatorIC

From my understanding it appears that Scientology, via CCHR, has figured out a way to make it appear that their anti-psychiatry screeds have the endorsement of, and added legitimacy of Sweden's largest news service, TT.
That's bad enough.
Do I have it right?
The story's a bit confusing
I believe that is largely correct. I think I've read all of the articles about this (albeit Google translations), and it appears what happened is as follows:

TT is a news service in Sweden.

TT decides to further monetize its reputational capital by forming a "separate" service to distribute press releases. From what I gather, it appears this was as a formal or practical matter limited to non-profits, charities, etc., though I may be mistaken on this part. Most importantly, such press releases are distributed bearing the TT logo, which to many implies the approval and endorsement of TT, and may make same appear as "news." (I suspect this was not accidental, and was part of what was being sold, though in a "wink, wink" plausibly deniable sort of way.)

The Swedish equivalent of Scientology front-group CCHR contracted with TT to use the service and distribute the press releases in question, which bore the TT logo.

People in Sweden freaked out about TT, which is viewed as a news service, distributing Scientology CCHR anti-psych crap propaganda bearing the TT logo.

TT is left to argue that it wasn't its "New" service that distributed the Scientology CCHR anti-psych crap propaganda, but instead its "separate" press release service. And it doesn't discriminate in what is distributes. (What, it will distribute anything? Fascist propaganda? Racist propaganda? Really?)

Oh, and kindly ignore the fact that the Scientology CCHR anti-psych crap propaganda bears the TT logo. How could anyone interpret that as being some sort of sign of approval or endorsement? :duh:

Last edited:

catarina

PTS Type III
You got it right. I may add that TT was founded in 1921 and has been probably the most established news agency here.

They didn't like the bad media though, and have now kicked CCHR as their customer:
https://www.svt.se/kultur/medier/tt-avbryter-avtal-efter-kritik

Today Jonas Eriksson, CEO and chief editor of TT, announced that the much criticized collaboration has ceased due to the opinions by CCHR regarding psychiatry.

-We felt that if you scrutinize what they do and say regarding mental illness, it amounts to activity that is dangerous to society. And because of this, we don't want them to use our distribution channels.​

It's still astounding that they let it pass in the first place.