What's new

Sweeney: Scientology Claims Holocaust was carried out by psychiatrists

Anonycat

Crusader
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reporter-John-Sweeney.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Scientologists believe the Holocaust was carried out by psychiatrists, claims BBC rant reporter John Sweeney

- Journalist publishes new book five years after Panorama tirade went viral
- He has since apologised, but says he remains 'gravely troubled' by the cult
- He says he is ready to fight controversial religion if they sue him for libel

A BBC reporter famously caught ranting at a member of the Church of Scientology has published a new book claiming the cult believes the Holocaust was planned and carried out by psychiatrists.

John Sweeney's tirade against Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis went viral five years ago after he was filmed during a heated interview for a BBC Panorama documentary.

He has since apologised for his 'very public meltdown', but says he remains 'gravely troubled' by the influence of Scientology.

The religion, which was founded by L Ron hubbard in 1952 and is one of the most controversial new movements to have arisen in the 20th century, believes a sinister extraterrestrial being called Xenu brought billions of people to earth in spaceships.

Mr Sweeney has now written a new book called The Church of fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology which he admits places him at risk of facing libel action.

(full story at link)

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsweeneyroar

Re: Sweeney: Holocaust was carried out by psychiatrists

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reporter-John-Sweeney.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Scientologists believe the Holocaust was carried out by psychiatrists, claims BBC rant reporter John Sweeney

- Journalist publishes new book five years after Panorama tirade went viral
- He has since apologised, but says he remains 'gravely troubled' by the cult
- He says he is ready to fight controversial religion if they sue him for libel

A BBC reporter famously caught ranting at a member of the Church of Scientology has published a new book claiming the cult believes the Holocaust was planned and carried out by psychiatrists.

John Sweeney's tirade against Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis went viral five years ago after he was filmed during a heated interview for a BBC Panorama documentary.

He has since apologised for his 'very public meltdown', but says he remains 'gravely troubled' by the influence of Scientology.

The religion, which was founded by L Ron hubbard in 1952 and is one of the most controversial new movements to have arisen in the 20th century, believes a sinister extraterrestrial being called Xenu brought billions of people to earth in spaceships.

Mr Sweeney has now written a new book called The Church of fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology which he admits places him at risk of facing libel action.

(full story at link)

Chaps, that is an ugly and wrong headline. 'Sweeney: Scientology blames Holocaust on psyches' would be right.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

You're correct, John, but the ugly headline certainly grabs the reader's attention. I think that's what it's all about. I, for one, understand and accept your explanation of how you got stuck with the "rant" label. Wear it like a badge of honour, mate, you earned it! :)

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron

I just finished reading the Sweeney book on my Kindle. I won't review it here but can say that the episode is pretty interesting where Sweeney and his camera crew are taken to Industry of Death. It features none other than ESMB's darling, Jan Eastgate.

There's also an extremely interesting series of text messages between Rinder and Tommy Davis on the one hand and Lou Stuckenbrock on the other, somehow leaked to Sweeney. I'd never seen these before but then I'm always late to the party.

Danger Mouse

Patron with Honors

The best book I've read on this subject is "War Against the Weak." The pseudo-science of eugenics was one of several factors that led to the Holocaust. The T4 program set up to exterminate "life unworthy of living" morphed into the death camps (as dramatized in the HBO movie "Conspiracy" starring Kenneth Branagh).

Anonycat

Crusader

Chaps, that is an ugly and wrong headline. 'Sweeney: Scientology blames Holocaust on psyches' would be right.

Perhaps you have just illustrated a difference between a Journalist and a seller of copy. I like your headline much better than theirs.

ChurchOfCylontology

Patron with Honors

Outside of Sweeney, Ortega, Tobin & Childs, I haven't seen many major media outlets get it 'right' when it comes to Scientology.

For some reason, I see this cute Domo image whenever I see the 'John Sweeney yelling' picture:

Domo_zps65d9af0b.jpg

You're correct, John, but the ugly headline certainly grabs the reader's attention. I think that's what it's all about. I, for one, understand and accept your explanation of how you got stuck with the "rant" label. Wear it like a badge of honour, mate, you earned it! :)

I'm thinking about space alien cult, and religion vs cult where you were such a stickler for accuarcy; accuarcy as you saw it. Now you go for what grabs the reader's attention..........

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

I'm thinking about space alien cult, and religion vs cult where you were such a stickler for accuarcy; accuarcy as you saw it. Now you go for what grabs the reader's attention..........
I didn't say I "go for it", I offered a comment about why it was used. For the same attention-grabbing reasons as "Space Alien Cult" is used, dontchathink?

Are you looking for trouble, Buddy? If you're looking for trouble... "Buddy, you got it, right here, right now. I'm angry, real angry!" :hysterical:

I didn't say I "go for it", I offered a comment about why it was used. For the same attention-grabbing reasons as "Space Alien Cult" is used, dontchathink?

Are you looking for trouble, Buddy? If you're looking for trouble... "Buddy, you got it, right here, right now. I'm angry, real angry!" :hysterical:

Thank you kindly for explaining. Sorry for misinterpreting your post.
Anger is not good. I know someone who used to be like that and one day he just disappeared. Probably being kept somewhere in a mental institution right now having ECT.

Anonycat

Crusader

Thank you kindly for explaining. Sorry for misinterpreting your post.
Anger is not good. I know someone who used to be like that and one day he just disappeared. Probably being kept somewhere in a mental institution right now having ECT.

I heard Tommy is living at home now.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
:) I'm not really angry and I never get angry over internet stuff. I get angry maybe 2 or 3 times a year and it's usually always in reponse to someone inflicting pain on another. :)

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you John for exposing some of the insanity that is CCHR.

I believe and hope that this despicable organization receives full exposure. I believe their lies and behavior (all KSW of course!) has done more harm than all of the other Scientology atrocities combined.

Here's a snippet from "Going Clear":

"Prozac.....was responsible for saving 33,600 lives between 1988 and 2002."

I shudder to think of how many MORE lives could have been saved had CCHR not been around.....

It's like Lawrence Wright said in his Today show appearance that the "stars" have some responsibility for what they've been promoting (Scientology).

CCHR is far worse.

Just because LRH was paranoid and worried about getting hauled off to the funny farm, millions of people have not received the mental care available in free societies and which is improving every day.

Hey, LRH!

GSCOHB!!!