What's new

SYDNEY ANON PROTEST 16 JAN 10 - OTHER DETAILS

G

Gottabrain

We started the protest at Belmore Park, as planned, meeting between 2 & 3 pm, with about 30 protesters to start. This later grew to about 50 protesters at its peak. We stayed there until about 4 pm. The Anons were extremely friendly and fun, with a huge boombox, wonderful songs and music and a lot of entertaining dancing. The dancing was great - it got bystanders smiling and interested and kept morale very high. Some of the younger bystanders would stop and dance along with us, then grab a flyer and discuss what we were protesting. We had masks but mostly didn't wear them, then marched with signs and several petition form requests for the Federal investigation into the C of S. Signs included "Honk if you are against Scientology", "What Church Forces Its Members to Have Abortions? Scientology" and similar.

We stopped at several very busy intersections along the way to AOSH ANZO. Cars were honking like mad. Sometimes entire carloads of people would be shaking their fists out cheering us on. I was holding a picket sign and talking to people and sending them to sign the petitions. Only once did someone in a car yell out and give me the finger the whole time, and I rather enjoyed that, as it was outside the Sydney Org. :) We picketed across the street from there for quite a while and had tremendous public support. In fact, that's when the petition lines were the longest for signatories. At its peak, 7 people waiting to sign. There was usually a line of people waiting to sign petitions, even though there were three copies, so you can imagine how good the public support was.

While we were marching, we were photographed hundreds of times by people driving in cars and along the street. One couple was in full marriage garb and just married, but paused and took a flyer. :) Of course, we congratulated them!

The police were very happy with us and unconcerned at our stops. We had no problems with them at all. We handed out hundreds of flyers to people. Petitioners of all ages from young to 80 were signing. Mothers were very interested. Couples were very interested. Those who had protested Viet Nam were very interested. The main issues that concerned the general public were slave labour, being cut off from families and friends, abuse of children, forced abortions and misuse of their tax dollars. The tax money, I think, was the biggest upset. Explaining to these people that the Scn schools were being publicly funded out of tax dollars and grant money and all sent a percentage directly to the Church of Scientology got them signing immediately. It made the Sydneysiders very angry. I don't think anyone in Australia but Scilos want that happening.

The entire 6 hours I protested, including at AOSH ANZO, I never spoke to a single person who disagreed with what we were doing. The worst response was the hand down (don't want a flyer, don't have time) or "I'll think about it". Neither of these is a negative.

I remember several young girls who approached me and said "We agree with you! What can we do to help?" The response was SO positive!

We were, in fact, a very welcome and very popular site. Even the bus drivers were honking their horns supporting us and bicycle riders jingled their bells.

In front of the AOSH ANZO, in the first hour we were there, someone dumped a bucket of water on us. Mostly hit just one Anon. But that actually worked in our favour. Not only were we then able to protest on the Scn side for a while, but it got the attention of the shoppers that had parked in the parking structure and Aaron started speaking better and better on the mike. Lots of people were looking down and reading our signs from there. Some came down to the ground floor and watched from inside the structure, took pics and signed the petition. I think we got about 10 or 12 signatures from the local shoppers. At its peak, I saw about 60 bystanders watching from the parking structure while Aaron and others spoke.

AOSH ANZO kept some disgusting boring music on, but our mike was louder. At first all the blinds were closed, but after a while, a few were opened and we often saw staff or public glancing out. Several used a side entrance that was, I think, a laundry room. The place was a graveyard, though. The entire time we was there (about 3 hrs), no more than 25 people went in and out of the C of S, and that was probably a high estimate and included the staff.

We took up most of the sidewalk on the parking lot side. Imagine it - we had twice as many protesters as they had total people in the building.

It was a great day. Some of the Anons thought the best Sydney protest ever. We certainly have the public support!

I hope some of the others that were there will fill in some of their details, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Gottabrain. I'm glad you enjoyed your raiding experience. It's another step in putting the CoS behind you.

G

Gottabrain

Thanks, Cherished! :) It was heaps of fun. I don't ever want to miss a protest again. Great exercise, great company, great day out and awesome purpose.

G

Gottabrain

Any idea of where the bucket of water came from?

Thanks for the extra data Gottabrain.

:p

I am sure it was a Scilo in the parking lot, but I never saw them. A few were giving dirty looks to us at that time but mellowed out when they knew we were watching and when others in the parking lot (regular shoppers) joined in watching. And the shoppers were very sympathetic to us when they saw our signs and listening in to the speeches.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Terrific stuff Gotta. These are the reports I love to read, with lots of detail.
I was only at the AO a few times, but I can imagine exactly what it was like. That horrible little street always felt so negative to me, it's great to see dancing and speeches there instead. :thumbsup:

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Glad you enjoyed your first protest.

When we were at AOSH ANZO, Cyrus was talking to two young women there and I brought the petition to them to sign right in front of him. They asked him if they should sign it. He shrugged and said "Go ahead". They did. He left a few minutes later. He was decent, though. I can't dislike Cyrus.

Wait wat? When abouts was this, I only remember Cyrus coming out once during the beginning and he certainly wasn't very civil then...

Here is a video of Aaron Saxton's first speech outside of the AO

http://vimeo.com/8789426

Lots, lots more to come, eventually..

Mystic

Crusader
We started the protest at Belmore Park, as planned, meeting between 2 & 3 pm, with about 30 protesters to start. This later grew to about 50 protesters at its peak. We stayed there until about 4 pm. The Anons were extremely friendly and fun, with a huge boombox, wonderful songs and music and a lot of entertaining dancing. The dancing was great - it got bystanders smiling and interested and kept morale very high. Some of the younger bystanders would stop and dance along with us, then grab a flyer and discuss what we were protesting. We had masks but mostly didn't wear them, then marched with signs and several petition form requests for the Federal investigation into the C of S. Signs included "Honk if you are against Scientology", "What Church Forces Its Members to Have Abortions? Scientology" and similar.

We stopped at several very busy intersections along the way to AOSH ANZO. Cars were honking like mad. Sometimes entire carloads of people would be shaking their fists out cheering us on. I was holding a picket sign and talking to people and sending them to sign the petitions. Only once did someone in a car yell out and give me the finger the whole time, and I rather enjoyed that, as it was outside the Sydney Org. :) We picketed across the street from there for quite a while and had tremendous public support. In fact, that's when the petition lines were the longest for signatories. At its peak, 7 people waiting to sign. There was usually a line of people waiting to sign petitions, even though there were three copies, so you can imagine how good the public support was.

While we were marching, we were photographed hundreds of times by people driving in cars and along the street. One couple was in full marriage garb and just married, but paused and took a flyer. :) Of course, we congratulated them!

The police were very happy with us and unconcerned at our stops. We had no problems with them at all. We handed out hundreds of flyers to people. Petitioners of all ages from young to 80 were signing. Mothers were very interested. Couples were very interested. Those who had protested Viet Nam were very interested. The main issues that concerned the general public were slave labour, being cut off from families and friends, abuse of children, forced abortions and misuse of their tax dollars. The tax money, I think, was the biggest upset. Explaining to these people that the Scn schools were being publicly funded out of tax dollars and grant money and all sent a percentage directly to the Church of Scientology got them signing immediately. It made the Sydneysiders very angry. I don't think anyone in Australia but Scilos want that happening.

The entire 6 hours I protested, including at AOSH ANZO, I never spoke to a single person who disagreed with what we were doing. The worst response was the hand down (don't want a flyer, don't have time) or "I'll think about it". Neither of these is a negative.

I remember several young girls who approached me and said "We agree with you! What can we do to help?" The response was SO positive!

We were, in fact, a very welcome and very popular site. Even the bus drivers were honking their horns supporting us and bicycle riders jingled their bells.

When we were at AOSH ANZO, Cyrus was talking to two young women there and I brought the petition to them to sign right in front of him. They asked him if they should sign it. He shrugged and said "Go ahead". They did. He left a few minutes later. He was decent, though. I can't dislike Cyrus.

In front of the AOSH ANZO, in the first hour we were there, someone dumped a bucket of water on us. Mostly hit just one Anon. But that actually worked in our favour. Not only were we then able to protest on the Scn side for a while, but it got the attention of the shoppers that had parked in the parking structure and Aaron started speaking better and better on the mike. Lots of people were looking down and reading our signs from there. Some came down to the ground floor and watched from inside the structure, took pics and signed the petition. I think we got about 10 or 12 signatures from the local shoppers. At its peak, I saw about 60 bystanders watching from the parking structure while Aaron and others spoke.

AOSH ANZO kept some disgusting boring music on, but our mike was louder. At first all the blinds were closed, but after a while, a few were opened and we often saw staff or public glancing out. Several used a side entrance that was, I think, a laundry room. The place was a graveyard, though. The entire time we was there (about 3 hrs), no more than 25 people went in and out of the C of S, and that was probably a high estimate and included the staff.

We took up most of the sidewalk on the parking lot side. Imagine it - we had twice as many protesters as they had total people in the building.

It was a great day. Some of the Anons thought the best Sydney protest ever. We certainly have the public support!

I hope some of the others that were there will fill in some of their details, too.

Most exswellent report. Makes me wish I had been there. You did the world some good.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Gottabrain. :)

Thanks Zhent for the vids.

Aaron, thanks for mentioning funeral of man I was sent to. Please feel free to use my name - Glenda. It's all on record. I have nothing to hide, hence hiding nothing. Sunlight and all that jazz. Feels very liberating to be free of that dark shadowy junk I kept tucked in my head all those years.

The local DSA Mike Ferriss - of Auckland, NZ - denied he had asked me to attend the funeral of a scientologist (who had suicided) when asked about it by documentary producer. Ferriss played with reality. To protect the "church" and to make me look like a liar.

Then he changed his story. That could have been related to the affidavit I made. Who knows. All I knew was what happened and was not willing to be silenced.

Around this time there was also a sad attempt at gagging me legally. I'll put that story on the "humour" section of the board one day.

What-the-f***-ever. Yawn. Shadowy people those OSA/DSA people. Twisting reality, distorting facts.

Producer, crew and I proceeded and the truth was aired. On TV.

This story is told in a documentary which aired in NZ Nov/Dec last year - Inside New Zealand: How to Spot a Cult. Unfortunately due to copyright issues, this doco can not be seen online - yet.

And yes...what kind of "church" sends someone to a funeral, not to offer condolences to the grieving family, but to protect their "church"? I used to ask myself this question often, usually late at night, as the contradictions bashed around in my head. I'm over it now - I got my answers, loud and clear!!!!

Sorry to rant on here on this thread but Aaron mentioning this in his speech made me feel like writing about it. :yes: It's called free speech and I LOVE it!

Thanks to all Anons for all ya doin'.

And thank you Aaron.

Carry on...

Glenda

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Here is another video up : http://vimeo.com/8791269

Quite interesting stuff, they have a garage just down the road and it seems the SO guys hang out there for a smoke break, as well as do the laundry, garbage and other things.
We took this opportunity to try and talk to them...

The second half of the video is me not-so-covertly filming a staffer unpacking boxes of the new ACC's. Its pretty boring, uneventful stuff but perhaps some will appreciate the insight into life in the garage/on staff.

Mystic

Crusader

Quite interesting stuff, they have a garage just down the road and it seems the SO guys hang out there for a smoke break, as well as do the laundry, garbage and other things.

The second half of the video is me not-so-covertly filming a staffer unpacking boxes of the new ACC's. Its pretty boring, uneventful stuff but perhaps some will appreciate the insight into life in the garage/on staff.

I've always wondered what life was like in the garage/on staff.

Enjoyed the entire vid. Thanks.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great write-up Gottabrain. :thumbsup:

The response you got from the public is terrific, but understandable when the truth about the human rights abuses of the CoS are made known.

I am amazed at the level of turnout at these protests. Nearly 2 years on from the birth of Anonymous, and we are getting 50 protesters. It must be very demoralising for those who still support the cult and see that all their ‘advanced tech’ is powerless to prevent people of conscience from protesting against injustices. They can’t shut you up.

Keep up the good work!

Axiom142

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

Nice work Zhent. Quietly going around taking video footage might not be very glamorous, but produces vital evidence and you never know when something might happen that needs recording.

I love the fact that Tamphex was wearing a VM jacket. This is a nice touch as it graphically demonstrates to any watching Scns that some of those protesting were once ‘in’ and have now left.

I’m not sure what the law is in Oz, but in the UK it is an offence to smoke in a enclosed work place with heavy fines for those doing it, and even heavier fines for the company / organization allowing it. We can clearly see staff members smoking in the garage in your video. Perhaps some letters along with evidence to those who enforce the law is in order…?

Axiom142

RSG

Patron
The thing is, they probably only do it because we were there. I assume that normally they'd be stepping outside that door to smoke. So if we send in docs, they'd probably just kick up a stink about "whah scary masked people outside whah" and nothing would come of it.

G

Gottabrain

Glad you enjoyed your first protest.

Wait wat? When abouts was this, I only remember Cyrus coming out once during the beginning and he certainly wasn't very civil then...

Here is a video of Aaron Saxton's first speech outside of the AO

http://vimeo.com/8789426

Lots, lots more to come, eventually..

You're right, it wasn't Cyrus. I've edited it. Sorry! Never met him before and I thought someone called him that. This was my first time meeting any of them.

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
God! I thought life was tough for the guys stuck down in Mimeo in Castlereagh St. This is appalling work conditions!

Excellent

Aaron's speech was excellent and very powerful. I thank you. I am forwarding this video clip on to all my contacts in my local Org. Thank you for your courage.

This clip is far more powerful and persuasive (in terms of getting people out of the COS and bringing down the organization) than the video clip of the 'assault' which was the first clip I saw posted.

Once again, thanks for your courage.