What's new

Sympathy for Rex Fowler OTVII

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
In America, innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers.

How many jurists will be challenged for being SCN?

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sympathy for Rex? No. Not one bit. (yeah I get the sarcasm but this touched a nerve).

He has damaged many lives, the most of all the members of Mr. Ciancio's family. His FOUR children have had their father ripped from their lives in the most horrible way. They will remember this when they graduate high school and he's not there. They will remember when they graduate college and he's not there. They will be saddened by the fact that he wasn't there when they grew up.

Any good that he has done in life he wiped out by this cowardly act.
Get the gurney and needle ready.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Trying to get banned before you reach 100 posts?

Paul
Well, inasmuch.. and while we're at it.. I too would like to know more about Moroccans and people from Rhodesia being killed because of a 'treason' condition by scientology ethics.. I think it's mentioned in Jon Atacks book?

:yes:

NeXTep

Patron with Honors
I think many can feel some measure of empathy for Rex. He was obviously a desperate man. It appears he had fallen quite far from his once esteemed position as president of a successful business, revered political activist, volunteer minister, and 30+ year OT7.

I watched some footage of him giving a speech on the long-standing battle between Austrian and Keynesian economics. Furthermore, I read some of his artistic reviews on Amazon.com. He exuded a secular and savvy tone that was consistent with somebody who was well-read and intellectually sophisticated. His meltdown seems almost inexplicable.

However, I imagine he felt like an abject failure. He was probably a mentor to a lot of kids who worked at his business. He planned to officiate the wedding of an attractive young couple that worked for him. Also, I'm sure he was revered as an intellectual by friends, family, co-workers, and cohorts from the Denver Area Citizens for Liberty. He was well-educated, having received degrees in mathematics and economics from two separate colleges (Harvey Mudd College and the University of Southern California).

Ultimately, given his intellectual talents, I want to hold Rex more accountable for his cowardly actions. Yes, he fell prey to rigid ideologies. He thought he found organizing principles that held all of the world's answers (e.g. Scientology, libertarian economics). Rex illustrates the folly of black and white, all-or-nothing, dichotomous thinking. He vested too much faith in formulas for living. He became puffed up and thought he mastered life's games; his convoluted theories and formulas for success had demonstrated their utility for several decades.

However, life is chaotic and there are always unaccounted for contingencies, which any prescription for living will fail to encapsulate. Despite the obvious failings of his rigid belief system, Rex persisted in believing to be true what was false. Or at least he behaved that way. One can't imagine the cognitive dissonance that Rex might have suffered. His life is a testament to the folly of putting faith in rigid belief systems. He killed a man and shot himself in the head rather than admit the failure of his philosophy. Rex would not admit his philosophy lacked integrity. As a fanatic, he believed integrity was standing by his judgments. However, real integrity is making moral decisions. Integrity is not foolishly adhering to convictions, irrespective of whether or not they are right or wrong.

Jeffrey

Quote from Rex:

"Thank you, Mr. Kraus, for this excellent comparison. The reasoning and even terminology of Keynesians is duplicated perfectly. The absurdity of an Austrian stimulus package financed by credit expansion is hilarious. Thank you for this excellent paper.

Published: October 16, 2009 6:26 PM"

Thanks for that profile Jeffrey. Does make a lot of sense to me. :thumbsup:

The Rex Fowler case may well be the ultimate expression of all wrongdoings that have been committed by the church that they managed to successfully hide under the carpet. Previous flaps where the CofS was directly involved they have managed to cover up by lies and deception, in this case the facts are on the table and there is nothing the church can do to remedy.

Must be hard to take for those control freaks.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Well, inasmuch.. and while we're at it.. I too would like to know more about Moroccans and people from Rhodesia being killed because of a 'treason' condition by scientology ethics.. I think it's mentioned in Jon Atacks book?

I think the deaths were in Morocco, not Rhodesia. Those were the two countries Hubbard fancied "taking over." I read the Mission Orders for the Morocco thing, somewhere around 1994, in FB mimeo. I've seen the story online too. I don't remember the exact details. The original idea was to sec check (with meters) the people around the King. There was a coup about to happen. People died, as happens in such situations when their treasonous plans get discovered by the guy with the power. I believe the SO guys got pulled out by Hubbard when things got very hot to avoid any of them getting killed too. I don't really have any more details.

Paul

well_that_sucked

Patron with Honors
http://www.xenu.net/archive/so/

"The Apollo sailed from Morocco to Portugal in October, for repairs. Hubbard and a contingent of Sea Org members stayed behind. Morocco was as close as Hubbard ever came to having the ear of a government, but relations broke down. In the Scientology world, there is a rumor that the upset had something to do with Moroccan Intelligence, which does lend a certain mystique. A secret Guardian's Office investigation revealed a more prosaic error, however. In 1971, Hubbard had reintroduced Heavy Ethics, and Scientologists continued to use the Ethics Conditions. For being persistently late for their Scientology courses, members of the Moroccan Post Office were assigned a condition of "Treason." To the Moroccans, "Treason," no matter how much it was word-cleared, meant only one thing: execution. The Post Office officials set themselves against the Scientologists, and won. As a grim footnote, the Moroccan official who had negotiated with the Scientologists was later executed for treason. The contacts with Intelligence had actually been with a faction which was to fail in an attempted coup d'etat. The panic, starting from Hubbard's typically exaggerated use of a simple word, ended with an order for the Scientologists to quit Morocco, in December 1972. Hubbard himself was given only twenty-four hours. He flew to Lisbon, and then secretly on to New York. "

exponerejustice

Rex obviously is guilty, insane or not. He still had a choice however influenced!

Now, it’s to get him, after the trial and after he re-orients with normal reality, to be interviewed and tell his story about how Scientology affected him and others he was and still is associated with!

Lots of interviews! It could drag down Scientology to the same degree that Tom Cruz has picked it up.

Without Rex making a turnaround and telling his story, what a sad waste it would be!

Then we can make sure it gets out and not pushed aside!

My deepest sympathies go out to Thomas and his family that has now been left behind. Rex was very selfish in taking that action.

I know Rex personally, very well. He does have a bad temper. He was also outgoing; very much so to help whomever, especially if the Church was taking notice. However, he did cross the line from time to time, if Orders from Co$ demanded him to do so. This obviously disintegrated his personal integrity. From there, only a down spiral could develop!

He was a victim, for sure!

I didn’t do what Rex did to win the favor of Co$. However, if my child was in the Sea Org, with me knowing that his possible fate was the RPF (Rehabilitation Project Force = Labor Slave Camp) or being transferred overseas to a place where I couldn’t communicate with him, if I didn’t cooperate with the Co$ demands, I’m not sure what I would have chosen to do! (I don't mean committing murder! I just mean that if he had a task to get some "written ethics confessions" from a person so that the "Church" would have legal leverage against them, Rex would participate in harassing them, in a "Scientology way," until he found something, how ever long it took!)

That’s right, if your child is in the Sea Org, that’s tantamount to having him in a kidnapped status! Co$ uses your family as leverage pawns. I can’t begin to imagine what was swimming around in Rex’s mind, possibly for years! Thomas was more or less in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m just saying someone else could have just as easily gotten Rex’s negative outflow.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good info here!

Rex obviously is guilty, insane or not. He still had a choice however influenced!

...snip for brevity...

That’s right, if your child is in the Sea Org, that’s tantamount to having him in a kidnapped status! Co$ uses your family as leverage pawns. I can’t begin to imagine what was swimming around in Rex’s mind, possibly for years! Thomas was more or less in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m just saying someone else could have just as easily gotten Rex’s negative outflow.

:welcome: and thank you for this post. :clap:

EP

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
I feel sorry for all parties involved. I'm sure if they could have a "do over" then everyone would do things differently. The only party that wouldn't change would be Scientology - they would have still pushed for that $200K.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
<snip> if your child is in the Sea Org, that’s tantamount to having him in a kidnapped status! Co$ uses your family as leverage pawns. I can’t begin to imagine what was swimming around in Rex’s mind, possibly for years! <snip>
Yes... Never mind that scientologists will tell you that RPF is a spiritual process that is good for you. They do know that the RPF is a slave labour camp, and that it's not good for you... Erh.. The 'thetan always knows', as they like to say..

Mindboggeling..

Scientology parents have their kids in 'kidnapped status'! - Very precisely expressed, and quite true!

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Could anyone provide a link for a concise explanation of what exactly happened with this? I've perused several threads but I am still unclear as to why Fowler shot this guy.

Excuse me for being lazy.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Could anyone provide a link for a concise explanation of what exactly happened with this? I've perused several threads but I am still unclear as to why Fowler shot this guy.

I've read lots of articles, and the "reason" is not clear. But there is a lot of speculation. Supposedly the guy was simply going in to pick up a severance check for just under $10k.

Paul

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I've read lots of articles, and the "reason" is not clear. But there is a lot of speculation. Supposedly the guy was simply going in to pick up a severance check for just under $10k.

Paul

Yeah, I read all that, and it just doesn't add up in my mind. If ten grand is important enough to you to murder for, then why would you then try to off yourself? You can't spend money when you're dead.

Or, was it some kind of attempt to make it look like self defense that didn't fly?