What's new

Taking apart the Church of Scientology

Hyperbole is a figure of emphasis. Hyperbole is designed to direct one’s attention to the thought discussed while at the same time conveying the feelings which the thought has excited in the writer’s mind.

With hyperbole the writer or speaker magnifies an object beyond the bounds of what is even possible. “Total Freedom,” “Total Cause,” “The most awesome event ever!” “I now have total certainty,” “I was totally blown away!” “The only workable technology,” are some examples of Scientology hyperbole.

When Scientology goes on the offense, it attacks with hyperbole.

Claiming AnonSparrow is stalking is one example.

Other examples of Scientology hyperbole is the website where they call critics of Scientology anti-religious, or when they call anonymous terrorists.

Unfortunately critics of Scientology also use hyperbole when discussing the nature of the Church.

For example, comparing David Miscavige to Hitler or Stalin.

Another is calling what the Church does “human trafficking.”

I have even heard critics speak as if the Church lured Lisa McPherson and others into the Church so they could murder them. All this is hyperbole too.

When the Church is playing defense in the courtroom, the Church lawyers know how to exploit and expose the hyperbole of the charges against them.

While they may PR with hyperbole the attacks against them, in the courtroom when the Church is attacked it doesn’t engage in hyperbole but exposes the hyperbole in the claims made against them.

The point to all this is that the way to bring down the Church is not through civil suits and hyperbole.

In the courtroom the Church is on its home court. This is not to say that civil suits shouldn’t be attempted, but just don’t expect too much success with them.

The way to bring down the Church is through its weakest link. And the weakest link for the Church of Scientology is Scientology itself.

The target should be Scientology itself.

Yes, people have a right to their beliefs.

But others have a right, even a duty, to point out the tragic human consequences of following such beliefs.

The fight is with Scientology itself; not just the current leader, not just any so-called reformers like Rathbun, not just people like Geir who simply want a kinder, gentler Church.

All of these people are still part of the problem. All of these folks want to Keep Scientology Working in some form or another.

What has done more harm to the Church of Scientology, the Headley’s or other civil lawsuits, or the South Park episode?

Take apart the religious tenets.

Analyze them, deconstruct them, ridicule them. Make them a laughing stock.

Point out the destructive consequences of following such beliefs.

Don’t be fooled by people who want to water Scientology down in order to make it more acceptable.

The more Scientology becomes acceptable to people the more people are going to get hurt.

It is a trap.

Let’s take apart the trap so fewer people get hurt.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Lamb

Patron with Honors
I like your way of thinking. But how, with what phrases, what signs, what wording, will this exactly be done efficiently?

I like your way of thinking. But how, with what phrases, what signs, what wording, will this exactly be done efficiently?

Good question. I'll be posting some things soon. But there are already many signs and slogans one can find on this site and other sites.

I wrote this becasue I noticed that over the last several months there has been less talk about what is wrong about Scientology and more about what is wrong with critics.

I thought it was time to get back on track.

The Anabaptist Jacques

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
well said

well said.
That is where they aim to get you, in the court room.
There they can drag things out and abuse the legal system with their expensive lawyers.
Exactly, lets keep on about the fact that they believe in aliens infesting our bodies and Xenu and not hold back, as it is what they ultimately believe.
I tell any $cientologist what is on OT3 and the upper OT levels, which they don't want to hear, but the more we tell the more are hindered from getting on to the OT levels.
Remind them of the body thetans and that OT powers do not exist.
Southpark has had more impact than many other things.

As one young $cnist said to me.
"Oh all that about the aliens and tomatoes is crazy"
They try to ridicule the critics, as 95% of them have not done OT materials.
Tell them to ask the OT's about the 'Body thetans':yes:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
part of the problem ...

Part of the problem is that in general, humanity in this day and age has been dumbed down into thinking in terms of sound bytes and thought stopping phrases. It is simply inevitable that these will be used by both sides.

As far as winning the war ... Scientology is here to stay, as far as a belief system and having some adherents, but without Cof$, it will be very small indeed and what there will be of it will tend to be more or less benign. The problem is with the Cof$ and the damage that it does.

There are no easy solutions or magic bullets. It is a war of attrition, plain and simple. By continuing to expose them, via pickets and on the web, their supply of "raw meat" will be pretty choked off. DM/RTC/current leadership will continue to suck the current public dry, sort of like a fly getting caught in a spider's web and having the juice sucked out of it until it is an empty shell ... and that is almost the point where the public is today.

The final problem and most difficult one is the sea org reserves, said by Swifty repeating the info from a defected insider to be at 1.5 billion dollars. I assume it is well protected, well sheltered from taxes, and well invested, which means that in order to put Cof$ totally out of business, the return on investment from the SeaOgre reserves has to be eaten up somehow fighting off critics, the web, anon, etc. Short of a mob of angry villagers with pitchforks, I don't know how a big enough threat level can be raised thru the conventional legal system to eat up the SeaOgre reserves. Perhaps there is some sort of UCC lien action to be filed.

Pete

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron

Tell everyone you know the stories from OT 3, OT 5, OT 8, Class 8 briefing course, And tell them with a laugh.

themadhair

Patron Meritorious
Another is calling what the Church does “human trafficking.”

How is this hyperbole?

Extracts taken from Human Trafficking: A Guide to Detecting, Investigating, and Punishing Modern-Day Slavery.
It is important to note that Section 1589 is not limited to cases where a defendant threatens physical harm or violence but also includes other, nonphysical types of harm. Such harm includes shunning, ostracism, or potential complications for the victim's family members in the native country, such as threats to seize the victim's family home in the country of origin. In addition to serious harm, the statute also punishes behavior that involves threats of physical restraint against a victim or someone else. Physical restraint that restricts movement, such as being locked in but not threatened with physical violence, should satisfy this requirement. Section 1589 further criminalizes behavior where the defendant uses a scheme, plan, or pattern intended to make the victim fear that she or another will be harmed or physically restrained for her failure to comply with the defendant's wishes. Examples of this type of behavior include traffickers who tell their victims stories of the dangers on the American streets in order to convince them that bad things will happen if they try to leave the traffickers' "protection." Finally, the forced labor statute punishes defendants who threaten to abuse the law or legal process to maintain control over their victims. Examples of such control include threatening to report a victim to immigration authorities if she fails to do the trafficker's bidding.

Section 1592—Seizure of Documents: Like the forced labor statute, Section 1592 enables prosecutors to reach traffickers who hold their victims through means other than physical violence. A common practice used by sophisticated, modern-day traffickers involves seizing the passport, government identification, and immigration documents of their victims with the intent to keep victims in service or to restrict their liberty.

In identifying a trafficking situation, it is important to remember that the victim need not be chained or restrained or even beaten. Modern-day slavery means that the defendants use force or threats of harm to coerce work from the victim. In essence, if the defendants make the victim feel that serious harm will result if she leaves, then the case should be investigated as a trafficking matter. Defendants in trafficking cases argue often that a victim consented to her work conditions because she signed an employment contract or otherwise demonstrated consent. Such arguments do not undermine trafficking charges, where, for example, the consenting victim is defrauded about her working conditions and is thereafter prevented from leaving. In such a case, a victim's initial agreement to work is no bar to a trafficking prosecution. Another common defense mistakenly raised by perpetrators of trafficking crimes is that they paid their workers, even though the payment is usually below the lawful amount and sometimes below what was promised. Again, such facts do not preclude prosecution under the trafficking statutes. In fact, in many trafficking prosecutions, the worker is paid a minimal amount.
The bottom line is that the charging options in trafficking cases are broad, and trafficking charges are effective in bringing to bear significant penalties. "Bad facts," such as payment, consent, and even a victim's failure to flee the trafficking situation, do not necessarily preclude a trafficking prosecution where the defendant uses threats or intimidation to overcome a victim's will to force her to work.

Know what to look for. Trafficking victims work long hours, receive very little (or no) pay, are scared of their employers, are restricted in their movement, and may be guarded by other employees or family members of the defendant. Be aware of fatigue, bruises, or other evidence of injury. Look for withdrawn workers who are afraid of unsanctioned contact with outsiders, or whose statements are censored by overseers. When passing parks or other recreational areas where nannies or babysitters may take their charges, note the appearance of these workers: are they old or weak in appearance? Are they afraid to talk (either because of fear of contact with outsiders or because their immigration documents are invalid or have been seized)? In vice operations, take note of particularly young-looking prostitutes.​

How is this hyperbole?

Lovinglife625

Patron with Honors
IMO this older video pretty much tells how to take down the abusive organized scientology and why it will work. It may not have the sex appeal of other suggestions and it will take patience but in the end I believe it will be highly effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eNyBrQUKs

More so than any case or other legal action, constantly getting out the truth in countless ways is what is needed IMO.

Here is something I posted on Marty R's blog about the Headley cases that relates to this:

As I have posted over the years, David Miscavige could win every single legal battle (labor cases, inquiries, damages cases, fraud cases, etc., etc.) and he will still lose the war.

That is because in each such action much truth comes out about the constant abuses and other horrors that Miscavige tries to hide behind religious cloaking and corporate veils.

In my opinion, organized scientology’s ability to expand worldwide on any real scale has been destroyed.

So many empty or near empty orgs testify to the state of organized scientology. Public polls such the gallop pole show organized scientology to be the most distrusted “religion” in the country. And so much of this is owed to Miscavige and the abusive actions he has directed for decades now.

Protestors around the world are often cheered by the public at large while Miscavige lies to his publics about “great expansion” happening as organized scientology continues to implode.

I too believe that the Headly cases can be won on appeal but whether or not they are, they have already helped deliver a crippling blow to David Miscavige’s organized scientology by virtue of all the truth that came out in those cases to date.

IMO David Miscavige is a coward, a drunk, a fraud, a perjurer and an abuser of the innocent on a grand scale and over decades. I told him as much in a letter I sent to him and his attorney a few years ago and published part of a couple of years ago.

I do believe his reckoning is coming. The sad thing for many scientologists is that it appears that Miscavige is going to take organized scientology down with him. It’s already begin and it is soon to get worse.

Of course I could be wrong but that is how I feel. As for me, I am going to continue just getting out the truth wherever I can and help others do the same. I support all legal and just actions that help accomplish this and celebrate the diversity of actions taken by different people without a central control and thus without a target organized scientology can really attack and destroy.

Unlike some others who fight organized scientology I think Hubbard himself was a fraud and a great part of "scientology" writings will have to be set aside for the subject itself not to be harmful. But I also agree with the right of anyone to practice those parts of what they consider to be scientology as long as they are not harming others. The same goes for any other subject IMO.

Div6

Crusader
"Humility it the heart of review."

that is from one of the Data Series PL's......which the criminal organization known as Scn apparently never read. The lack of the capability to introspect and review one's behavior is characteristic of a "wide open" psychotic....

And, per the Law of Affinity, that is what they attract.

Sign of Success

Patron with Honors
"The more Scientology becomes acceptable to people the more people are going to get hurt. It is a trap"

"The way to bring down the Church is through its weakest link. And the weakest link for the Church of Scientology is Scientology itself.
"

"Take apart the religious tenets.
Analyze them, deconstruct them, ridicule them. Make them a laughing stock."

"Let’s take apart the trap so fewer people get hurt."

What's up with you, Anabaptist Jacques? Soooo... scared to get hurt?:coolwink:

"The more Scientology becomes acceptable to people the more people are going to get hurt. It is a trap"

"The way to bring down the Church is through its weakest link. And the weakest link for the Church of Scientology is Scientology itself.
"

"Take apart the religious tenets.
Analyze them, deconstruct them, ridicule them. Make them a laughing stock."

"Let’s take apart the trap so fewer people get hurt."

What's up with you, Anabaptist Jacques? Soooo... scared to get hurt?:coolwink:

A Twerp, by definition, is a person who sits in their bathtub and farts. And while the Twerp may enjoy the aroma of their own gaseous expulsions, the Twerp still stinks up the place.

Enjoy your bath, Sign of Success. :coolwink:

The Anabaptist Jacques

themadhair

Patron Meritorious
Calling what the Church does "human trafficing" is hyperbole.
Asking the question for the third time, how? How can labelling actions which are the very embodiment of human trafficking as human trafficking be an act of hyperbole?

How can you consider the extracts to NOT be hyperbole, while considering the act of correctly labelling the Scientology activities relating to said extracts TO BE hyperbole?

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space
IMO David Miscavige is a coward, a drunk, a fraud, a perjurer and an abuser of the innocent on a grand scale and over decades.

Thank you for sharing that, Marty.

Have you ever done anything like that yourself?

:whistling: