What's new

Tampa Bay Times: Scientology's leader reaches out to mend fences with Clearwater

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Tampa Bay Times: Scientology's leader reaches out to mend fences with Clearwater
http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...es-out-to-mend-fences-with-clearwater/2171392

Excerpt:
CLEARWATER — After months of discord between his church and the city, Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige reached out this week to Clearwater leaders, arranging a sit-down in the church's Fort Harrison Hotel to iron out their differences.

The hour-long meeting between City Manager Bill Horne and Miscavige on Thursday included discussion of long-simmering issues between Clearwater and the church, which makes its spiritual home in Tampa Bay's third-largest city.

On the table: tension in the months leading up to the opening of the church's massive Flag Building downtown last fall, and raw feelings over possible locations for a downtown parking garage.

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
To mix a few metaphors this is probably because he holds five aces. He's not mending fences, he's holding a ransom strip, in the shape of the downtown plot which Clearwater should have got to first for their parking garage if they had been on the ball.

If MiniMan is pretending to be nice, be certain he has something really nasty up his sleeve.

I wonder if the Goldbergs have important connections down there.

Some sit of very large size major huge importance has happened, probably.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: DM makes nice with Clearwater leaders

City Manager Bill Horne and Mayor George Cretekos both separately met with DM.

One interesting exerpt

"The last time we met was a little rocky," Horne said, referring to a 2011 meeting with Miscavige and former Mayor Frank Hibbard in which Miscavige became irritated during the discussion. "This time, it was a positive meeting."

Horne and Miscavige discussed where the city and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium want to build a downtown parking garage. The city and the aquarium had publicly identified a one-acre parcel on Drew Street, on the northern edge of downtown, as their first choice. But before they got around to buying, the Church of Scientology snapped it up, surprising aquarium and city leaders.

Horne told the Tampa Bay Times recently that the city might pursue building a garage with 10 stories or more on a county-owned site across a side street from the seven-story, 300,000-square-foot Flag Building. The city's codes don't have any height restrictions downtown, Horne noted, which would allow the city and aquarium to build as "high as we want."

Miscavige told Horne on Thursday that he would reconsider the church's position against letting go of its Drew Street property.

Mayor Bill Horne is no shill. Nice to see the city back DM into a corner.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron

The mayor might mention the burden put on the local health care system servicing SO members for free.

The mayor and the entire Clearwater community will be shocked to know that none of good folks employed at the Fort Harrison have health insurance.

Scientologists accept "no health insurance" with a shrug.

People who pay taxes with real jobs think "no health insurance" is nuts.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Was DM asking for advice on ecclesiastical matters or property management in that recorded meeting? Did anyone see that shape the GAT II cufflinks are? I have to wonder how hard DM pounded on the desk when Bill Horne asked him about his standing restraining order in Texas.

Daisy

Patron with Honors
So the cult steals a plot of land from the city which is located on Drew. The city figures no problem f******, we will erect at least a 10 story (no height restrictions in Clearwater) parking garage where anyone with binoculars or video cam look down on Flag to see the coming and goings of members.

DM freaked out enough that he actually sat down with the city wogs to kiss their ass.

Could someone please show a map that shows lot behind fort harrison. I tried and tried and failed.

Leland

Crusader
So the cult steals a plot of land from the city which is located on Drew. The city figures no problem f******, we will erect at least a 10 story (no height restrictions in Clearwater) parking garage where anyone with binoculars or video cam look down on Flag to see the coming and goings of members.

DM freaked out enough that he actually sat down with the city wogs to kiss their ass.

Could someone please show a map that shows lot behind fort harrison. I tried and tried and failed.

I walked behind Ft. Harrison last week. There is a parking garage and a parking lot (small) don't recall what else....a building I think. Yes a couple buildings. Behind those buildings and parking lots is open ground bounded on the other side by a freeway, then water.

Last edited:

JGB

Patron
Miscavige also "expressed some concerns" over the way the church was portrayed in a three-month battle with the city last year. The city and church clashed over delays in opening the Flag Building, illegal tree cuttings and a massive tent downtown that violated the city's sign code.

But many of Miscavige's complaints were directed at the Times, Horne said.

"He was complaining about you guys more than anything," he said
http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...es-out-to-mend-fences-with-clearwater/2171392

Looks like The Times are creating an effect the little man doesn't like. :)

Daisy - go to Google Earth (not Google maps) and from there you can save the image as a jpg on your computer, then you can use the insert image icon to open the insert image from my computer to post it. If you don't have Google earth on your computer you'll have to download it. Mimsey

Re: Tampa Bay Times: Scientology's leader reaches out to mend fences with Clearwater

Could someone please show a map that shows lot behind fort harrison. I tried and tried and failed

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

City Manager Bill Horne and Mayor George Cretekos both separately met with DM.

One interesting exerpt

Mayor Bill Horne is no shill. Nice to see the city back DM into a corner.

Cretekos is the Mayor, and it seems his price has been met by Miscavige.

Daisy

Patron with Honors
lot.jpg

Ok, here goes.

I believe the lot is on the right, back of flag on left. Thank you Mimsey.

Last edited:

wigee1

Patron with Honors
The way I see it, Captain Davy is saying " Fuck You," we hold the cards , You piece of shit, You come to our place," look how well we are doing" He didn,t go to the Council office , and Humble himself,( and after the fact too!!!!)
I ,ll take a bet that he will gift the land , and really do the whole PR action, on it,get them on side to handle Tampa Times. Notice how the meeting was brief, is this a person making amends, hell no. Ive only got a few minutes to talk to you, Ive got to go to Court in texas, This is is going to be interesting on both sides. Granitt.