What's new

TC mum dies

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
According to People, Mary Lee South, the mother of Tom Cruise, has passed away at 80.

The publication has revealed that Mary died peacefully in her sleep last week and was given a memorial service at Tom’s local Church of Scientology this past weekend.

Reports suggest that Tom and his sisters, Lee Ann DeVette, 57, Cass Mapother, 55, and Marian Henry, 52, were all in attendance.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...s-died/ar-AAmTR9P?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

Cheryl

Patron
Isn't illness a sign of failure in Scientology? I highly doubt he was anywhere near her before she died. Unless he was telling her she failed as a Scientologist not being able to overcome her sickness.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Isn't illness a sign of failure in Scientology? I highly doubt he was anywhere near her before she died. Unless he was telling her she failed as a Scientologist not being able to overcome her sickness.

Everyone dies eventually, Scientologist or not. 80 isn't a bad age to go. Who wants to live forever in a wrinkled decrepit body? (Apologies to anyone over 80.) My dad is 90 and hasn't had any real fun in life for about 10 years. Harsh fact of life.

There are exceptions, people who are very active and alert well into their 90's, but I don't know any personally.

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I am truly sorry for his loss.

The loss of a parent, while expected, is never easy.

I hope he and the sisters find comfort in each other and in the memories of their mother.

Out/Int

Patron with Honors
She dropped her body because she found it an impediment to her upper OT levels.:whistling:

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Tom Cruise's mother did not die you suppressive db's....

She dropped her body because she found it an impediment to her upper OT levels.:whistling:

Duh?

Come on - get with the program!!:grouch:

:p:wink2:

Now - that would have been the old Scientology response I would have thought...

I wonder if she read "Inside Scientology" by Janet Reitman, watched "Going Clear" by Alex Gibney on HBO?

If I was the mother / father / sister / brother of Tom Cruise and found out the truth - that would be enough to push me over the edge.

What Scientology did to Tom Cruise is disgusting...even though I think he is an arrogant asshole.

Scientology didn't do anything to anybody, it is just a bunch of words on tape and in docs and books. It is people who do disgusting things with it.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Everyone dies eventually, Scientologist or not. 80 isn't a bad age to go. Who wants to live forever in a wrinkled decrepit body? (Apologies to anyone over 80.) My dad is 90 and hasn't had any real fun in life for about 10 years. Harsh fact of life.

If I make it to 80, I will consider that I've had a good run. My objective is to last long enough to see all my kids living independent lives, and be able to see a few grandkids. Anything beyond that is gravy.

JustSheila

Crusader

There are exceptions, people who are very active and alert well into their 90's, but I don't know any personally.

You'd be surprised. I met a lot of sharp elderly folks in Australia who were still independent, but they didn't have much energy. They still had fun, went out to dinners, played video games, women went to the beauty salon, shopping and to the beach and they still socialized and particularly enjoyed their families.

Must be the vegemite. :coolwink: :biggrin:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
You'd be surprised.
Yes! :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I had lunch with a friend and his 97-year-old grandmother. I was surprised how clear eyed she was and what a vibrant personality she had. Her memory of life events was remarkably distinct and immensely interesting, given the fact she had lived through ten decades of history. Now at age 102, she's losin' her mental faculties and needs care and drugs to keep it together. She made it pretty far though and had a decent life.

Another time I was day hiking in the nearby mountains with a friend, when the hill kicked my butt and I had to stop to rest. Consider retreating back down. Hiking down the hill was a married couple clearly in their mid-80's. They told me they'd hiked the loop, which was a bit higher and about three times the distance I'd trudged so far. And I'm much, much younger! I asked them how they could do that at their ages. They told me they walk five miles a day, every day, to stay in shape.

Both were quite an inspiration to me for being able to stay very active and alert, I gotta say. Some people do it.

On the other side of the coin, I know people in their 50's and 60's that are already showing signs of dementia and lack of reasoning. Going a bit visibly batty. Talked to many of them during the last 18-month election cycle. The common thread with them is that they spent a lot of hours watching political news on cable TV every day (won't mention the network :coolwink:) and got most of their current worldview from Facebook and Twitter. Unable to read complete books anymore because books are usually over 140 characters.

Hubbard began showing signs of dementia in his mid-60's. (Read poster cowboy's threads for incontrovertible evidence and anecdotes.)

Oh, well. :whistling:

I've decided that good life habits probably help, but a lot of life is simply luck of the draw.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
If I make it to 80, I will consider that I've had a good run. My objective is to last long enough to see all my kids living independent lives, and be able to see a few grandkids. Anything beyond that is gravy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JustSheila

Crusader
Yes! :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I had lunch with a friend and his 97-year-old grandmother. I was surprised how clear eyed she was and what a vibrant personality she had. Her memory of life events was remarkably distinct and immensely interesting, given the fact she had lived through ten decades of history. Now at age 102, she's losin' her mental faculties and needs care and drugs to keep it together. She made it pretty far though and had a decent life.

Another time I was day hiking in the nearby mountains with a friend, when the hill kicked my butt and I had to stop to rest. Consider retreating back down. Hiking down the hill was a married couple clearly in their mid-80's. They told me they'd hiked the loop, which was a bit higher and about three times the distance I'd trudged so far. And I'm much, much younger! I asked them how they could do that at their ages. They told me they walk five miles a day, every day, to stay in shape.

Both were quite an inspiration to me for being able to stay very active and alert, I gotta say. Some people do it.

On the other side of the coin, I know people in their 50's and 60's that are already showing signs of dementia and lack of reasoning. Going a bit visibly batty. Talked to many of them during the last 18-month election cycle. The common thread with them is that they spent a lot of hours watching political news on cable TV every day (won't mention the network :coolwink:) and got most of their current worldview from Facebook and Twitter. Unable to read complete books anymore because books are usually over 140 characters.

Hubbard began showing signs of dementia in his mid-60's. (Read poster cowboy's threads for incontrovertible evidence and anecdotes.)

Oh, well. :whistling:

I've decided that good life habits probably help, but a lot of life is simply luck of the draw.

Oh that's hilarious, an elderly couple out-walking you, lol! :laugh:

There are certainly common health activities I've seen from the sharp elderly folks though:

1) They all walked every day, at least 30 minutes.
2) They all eat a healthy breakfast, usually oatmeal with fresh fruit and similar. Most drank coffee.
3) They all did basic stretches and exercise. Nothing too difficult, at least 20 minutes a day.
4) They all had great relationships with their families and saw them regularly.
5) They lived at home for as long as possible, then assisted care, instead of a full nursing home. Nearly all the elderly I ever saw went down badly after going into a full nursing home.
6) They all get up at the crack of dawn or so and didn't sleep more than 7-8 hrs a day. :omg:
7) They didn't watch television more than a couple of hours a day at most, and then with someone else (which you also noticed).
8) They kept up a social life and a routine and regimen of activities and good habits.
9) Most only took daily vitamins or no vitamins at all, with an occasional fiber supplement.
10) They didn't overeat.
11) They allowed themselves treats, but not in excess.

Cheryl

Patron

My dad is 81 and still working.

The_Fixer

Class Clown

Heh, I have a great aunt who turned 104 in January and has just taken up pilates......

Not kidding here either.

The_Fixer

Class Clown

Heh, I have a great aunt who turned 104 in January and has just taken up pilates......

The_Fixer

Class Clown