What's new

The Amazing Catch-22 Of the S.O.#1 Line

This episode caused me to develop a little smirk that I didn't really lose till I was expelled. Previously, I could use my considerable ability of rationalization to turn tiny turds of bullshit into tasty morsels. I believed that correctly applied tech and admin would ultimately make everything come out right in the end.

So, it's 1980, and I'm nearly done with my third time through the Class VIII checksheet. That's how the course was done, three times through, by very explicit order of LRH, with dire curses upon anyone who would dare attempt to shorten it.

Except now an order comes from Senior C/S International, David Mayo, stating that ever since the introduction of Study Tech the Class VIII Course is only to be one time through. Whatttt??! They wanted to graduate me immediately. The Mayo letter was photo-copied and thumbtacked on the courseroom wall.

Okay, you can't fool me. This sounds more like a test. There were five or so students, and we all refused to abide by the new order. So one of us writes up a query which goes on the S.O.#1 Line. Standing Order #1 (as I approximately recall): "All mail sent to me will be received by me." It was the direct line to Ron.

In those days S.O.#1 replies came back typically signed, "Ron 3" or "Ron 6." This seemed to imply that there was no way LRH could possibly answer every letter personally, and that he had a full-time team trained to acknowledge, encourage, and validate as he himself would. But we really thought that the implications of this particular query would take it all the way to the top.

The answer came fast, and I quote, "If David says it, it must be true." It was signed by a numbered "Ron." So, sarcastically, we hung the letter on the wall next to Mayo's order. Alright, then! David Mayo has been officially handed the title of Source. It's a new era.

The only way around this was to question the integrity of the S.O.#1 Line. And apparently someone did, because the LRH Comm International, Laurel Sullivan, issued a statement to the effect that there was no way LRH could possibly answer every letter personally, and that he had a full-time team trained to acknowledge, encourage, and validate as he himself would.

One little problem, a new issue comes out from Ron declaring Laurel Sullivan an SP for cutting his most treasured comm line. He apparently went to do his mail and found only two postal mail sacks one day, and launched an investigation and found that his trusted LRH Comm Int had told the world he didn't really truly read and answer these letters himself.

So, that means that it really truly was Ron himself who appointed David Mayo as an authoritative source of SCN technology. I tried to listen to the rest of the tapes my third time through, but was a few short when they graduated me. I heard them again anyway later.

And then the final piece to lock in this exchange as a perfect Catch-22: David Mayo gets declared suppressive for claiming to be an authoritative source of SCN technology.

ASHO Crew didn't seem to have a problem. I heard several expressing big wins that they understand how even if the physical body of the letter-writer was someone else's, it was still Ron they were channelling, etc. And if you're not a disaffected, lower-condition, purveyor of "enemy-line," then you'll happily see it that way.

"Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth." (Bob)

Smitty

Silver Meritorious Patron
comment to BarMoshiach

After May of 1976, Hubbard was completely off SO#1 correspondence lines.
Even prior to that going back into the 1950's, he had staff compose answers and he would approve them if he knew the person. Otherwise staff would answer for him.
So the Laurel Sullivan drama was an SP declare to "get her" for something else and put in a false PR line on SO#1.
The organization and subject of scientology is packed full of lies and frauds.
Those emanated from the top. Source. L. Ron Hubbard. "Love, Ron"
Smitty

sandygirl

BarMoshiach,

You're post are great! However, this was the stuff that really got me when I finally left. I was raised by Scio parents and I wrote to LRH as soon as I could write a letter!! When my mom was sick she wrote him a letter pouring her heart out. He wrote back " I totally understand" Love, Ron. That was it and my mom was thrilled.

She still has it..... When the illusion shatters its amazing to see how fooled we were

Pascal

ED INT BOXES

I wonder if ED INT reads the mail people send him in those boxes that Orgs have in the SP Hall.

Last Org I went to didn't have that box. You'd have to write to the D/ED for Delivery and Exchange and then get routed to Ethics for being critical. :p

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
After May of 1976, Hubbard was completely off SO#1 correspondence lines.

So the Laurel Sullivan drama was an SP declare to "get her" for something else and put in a false PR line on SO#1.

Smitty

I have a question then.....who was doing the declaring if lrh was off lines...
who declared david mayo and laura sullivan? was miscavige in the picture?

Smitty

reply to Boldgirl

I stated "completely off SO#1 lines", not off lines. Hubbard was still running scientology via his messengers. Hubbard at least approved of Mayo's persecution, if not outright ordered it. Davey was a CMO Mission Ops around that time. He may have been involved in the declares.
Smitty

Div6

Crusader

There is much speculation as to when LRH went completely off lines....certainly by 1981, most likely earlier. There is much background here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.clearing.technology/msg/dba6485f57bd5f12
for example.

What is certain is that Miscavige purged any and all that did not toe his line. For example, he forged a telex from LRH to Jane Kember to get her to step down, as he dis-mantled the Gaurdian Office.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
All I know is I sent him a letter before he died and felt what I got back a very short response. I was disheartened.:bigcry:

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
One little problem, a new issue comes out from Ron declaring Laurel Sullivan an SP for cutting his most treasured comm line. He apparently went to do his mail and found only two postal mail sacks one day, and launched an investigation and found that his trusted LRH Comm Int had told the world he didn't really truly read and answer these letters himself.

So, that means that it really truly was Ron himself who appointed David Mayo as an authoritative source of SCN technology. I tried to listen to the rest of the tapes my third time through, but was a few short when they graduated me. I heard them again anyway later.

"Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth." (Bob)

I remember that time well, this was also one of the points that lead to my leaving. Funny thing that happened a little latter, LRH’s son (Jr.) was asserting that his father was dead and the church was hiding the fact. A week later one of our public came into the org showing us a letter they had received. It was a full page handwritten letter from LRH. This was the first letter this person had ever received from LRH and had assumed that all his letters were handwritten. We all stood there with our jaws opened staring in disbelief. :omg:

Another point that bothered me was when LRH came out with an issue stating that we had been doing the grade chart incorrectly. This was about doing Dianectics before Grades. These grade charts had been posted in the org for many years and I wondered what the hell was LRH doing to not have noticed this for all these years.

Smitty

comment to BAYCB

Another point that bothered me was when LRH came out with an issue stating that we had been doing the grade chart incorrectly. This was about doing Dianectics before Grades. These grade charts had been posted in the org for many years and I wondered what the hell was LRH doing to not have noticed this for all these years.

Rum, whiskey, sedatives, amphetamines, and cocaine.

Veda

Sponsor
Hubbard was on lines through 1983, at least.

From a 1986 interview of Martin Samuels, who operated several Scientology Missions, and was the founder of the Delphi School:

"Hubbard operated according to a couple of key patterns.

"The first pattern involved basically decent well-intentioned people... no one has been able to rise in the organization or in his life to the point of any real proximity to him, without being attacked and vilified.

"The next pattern is reap and rape. Hubbard would let the reins loose. He'd let people believe that they really could get on with it. He'd let people believe that they really could prosper to the full extent of their own ability, and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

"And, with that kind of freedom, prosperity does occur. Invariably, though, he'd then come along and... pillage and rip off and take what had been produced. The most dramatic example of this was '82-'83, when he 'raped' his most decent people in management along with the Mission holders, and looted the entire Mission network."

The Larry Brennan affidavit:

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=114700&postcount=10

Ralph Hilton, re. "tech lines":

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=41216&postcount=80

Last edited:

Giuseppe

Patron with Honors
...He apparently went to do his mail and found only two postal mail sacks one day, and launched an investigation and found that his trusted LRH Comm Int had told the world he didn't really truly read and answer these letters himself.

Thank you very much, BarMoshiach, you've answered a lot of Giuseppe's un-asked questions with this post.

When Giuseppe was in the Cadet Org, late 70's IIRC, there was an order :smack: "from the top" that all Cadets MUST write Ron at least once per week:write: , every day if production allows (meaning: "if possible"). WTF? Stat push for 10 years olds:thumbsup: ! Awesome! Giuseppe thinka am sure LRH got more than two sacks of mail after that:happydance: !

Veda

Sponsor
John McMaster, on answering Hubbard's mail:

"I handled the whole lot and used his stamp and so on. But I used to go over it with black ink so that people wouldn't feel insulted.

"But he didn't want to see the letters. He really didn't care.

"So - with a few exceptions - I don't think he'd seen a letter to him in years. Because in 1964, I started handling all his mail."

More from the world's 'First real Clear," John McMaster:

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=112638&postcount=34

Smitty

Millie Galusha was Hubbard's secretary in the 1950's and she has stated that she was charged with answering most of his letters for him. In truth, Hubbard was not interested in communicating directly with his victims. He would indoctrinate them and punish them, but otherwise he did not give a damn.
Smitty

Carmel

Crusader
Some interesting links and data on this thread. Thanks folks!

Div 6
There is much speculation as to when LRH went completely off lines....certainly by 1981, most likely earlier. There is much background here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...a6485f57bd5f12
for example.
Crikey - I read this (despite the blurb at the top re it later being retracted), and figure that a lot of it has some truth, cause it fits. His retraction of it on other sites tells quite a story. So many stories and versions of events. I wish I wasn't interested (it's so bloody time consuming), but I am.

The more data I get on all this stuff the better. For me, it helps! Thanks for the link :thumbsup:.

Div6

Crusader
Some interesting links and data on this thread. Thanks folks!

Div 6

Crikey - I read this (despite the blurb at the top re it later being retracted), and figure that a lot of it has some truth, cause it fits. His retraction of it on other sites tells quite a story. So many stories and versions of events. I wish I wasn't interested (it's so bloody time consuming), but I am.

The more data I get on all this stuff the better. For me, it helps! Thanks for the link :thumbsup:.

You are welcome. Hey, I think a basic human right is "truth", ala time, place, form and event......but the consensus reality on this planet currently is that "the victors get to write the history".

And it IS a time sink. If you haven't read "Madman or Messiah" or "Bare Faced Messiah" they both are available to read on the web. Also, Ivy is a long running magazine that has featured some great articles over time. The web site is here: http://www.ivymag.org/IVy.html

"The truth will set you free".

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
snip ...but the consensus reality on this planet currently is that "the victors get to write the history".

snip

Consensus reality....thats the problem in a nutshell. That people have a need to agree.

alex

Veda

Sponsor
Hubbard was on lines through 1983, at least.

From a 1986 interview of Martin Samuels, who operated several Scientology Missions, and was the founder of the Delphi School:

"Hubbard operated according to a couple of key patterns.

"The first pattern involved basically decent well-intentioned people... no one has been able to rise in the organization or in his life to the point of any real proximity to him, without being attacked and vilified.

"The next pattern is reap and rape. Hubbard would let the reins loose. He'd let people believe that they really could get on with it. He'd let people believe that they really could prosper to the full extent of their own ability, and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

"And, with that kind of freedom, prosperity does occur. Invariably, though, he'd then come along and... pillage and rip off and take what had been produced. The most dramatic example of this was '82-'83, when he 'raped' his most decent people in management along with the Mission holders, and looted the entire Mission network."

The Larry Brennan affidavit:

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=114700&postcount=10

Ralph Hilton, re. "tech lines":

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=41216&postcount=80

You are welcome. Hey, I think a basic human right is "truth", ala time, place, form and event......but the consensus reality on this planet currently is that "the victors get to write the history".

And it IS a time sink. If you haven't read "Madman or Messiah" or "Bare Faced Messiah" they both are available to read on the web. Also, Ivy is a long running magazine that has featured some great articles over time. The web site is here: http://www.ivymag.org/IVy.html

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1090

Thanks for reminding me, Corydon wrote of his experiences, as a Class 8 auditor and Mission Holder, and of the events of 1982/83, the "Corporate Sort Out" (See Larry Brennan affidavit), and confirms that Hubbard was behind the events of 1982/83.

It startled some people when Hubbard 'came back', after 3/4 of a year in deep hiding (from possible Grand Juries in Florida and New York, and whatever else he was imagining) and decided to GET HIS MONEY NOW, by looting the Missions, and taking their properties. But the looting had been going on - in spotty fashion - for some time. You just weren't supposed to notice.

Miscavige was 22 in 1982, and his "stat" - to prove his worth to the Founder - was MONEY IN from the MISSIONS for Hubbard.

That's the reality.

L. Ron Hubbard, who ordered children into a ship's chain-locker, directed a ten year attempt to destroy the life a a 100 lb. woman for writing a paperback book he didn't like, and used psychological warfare techniques on his own followers, also - as a last act, to assert his 1938 "real goal" of "smash his name into history," and to seize control of all available monies to consolidate his power, and continue his monument building (the "legend of Ron") projects - ordered the events of 1982/83.

What a shock!