What's new

The anti-Scientologist

Gib

Crusader
That is also a bait and switch from the start. Dianetics is based on the concept of mental therapy very much like Freudian psychology. There is not spirit or thetan involved. So they are trying to rope people in by avoiding the complications of spiritual concepts and conflicts with people's religious beliefs but Dianetics is practically an obsolete afterthought to Scientology corporate. It is just a hook to get people into Scientology which is entirely based on the concept of spirit aka thetan. And of course we now know that even Scientology is a bait and switch for disembodied alien body thetans as the fundamental concept for fixing what is wrong with you on the OT Levels.

Dianetics isn't advertised very much anymore and the Superbowl ads mainly promote Scientology but Scientology books are pretty wacky for raw public so I can see how trying to sell Dianetics door to door now would be a problem because of poor name recognition. Most people probably associate Scientology name recognition with Tom Cruise and South Park. When the stabbing happened in Australia I spent some time searching Asian news sights to see if they were picking up the story. There wasn't much but what there was always mentioned Tom Cruise. When Tom is gone that will pretty much just leave South Park.
true, the last great marketing campaign was by jefferson hawkins selling dianetics. It did create a boom in book sales.

Like PTS says, I don't recall selling door to door is hubbard policy.However, it is policy to send letters to any book buyers, repeatedly, and forever.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
true, the last great marketing campaign was by jefferson hawkins selling dianetics. It did create a boom in book sales.

Like PTS says, I don't recall selling door to door is hubbard policy.However, it is policy to send letters to any book buyers, repeatedly, and forever.
Hubbard made money from book royalties every time a book was sold. And making money is always the greatest good from his perspective, especially when it goes into his pocket.

I doubt he would take issue with people selling door-to-door. Of course if it ever caused a major PR flap somehow he'd of blamed it on policy not being followed.

But on the Admin Scale, Purpose was above Policy. And the purpose of making money for LRH is the highest purpose in the known universe.

Gib

Crusader
Hubbard made money from book royalties every time a book was sold. And making money is always the greatest good from his perspective, especially when it goes into his pocket.

I doubt he would take issue with people selling door-to-door. Of course if it ever caused a major PR flap somehow he'd of blamed it on policy not being followed.

But on the Admin Scale, Purpose was above Policy. And the purpose of making money for LRH is the highest purpose in the known universe.
yep, that's how I see it.

The rhetoric of books make booms, means more money into hubbard thru royalties, but his rhetoric was of course if you sold a book or the org did, you also made money.

Self reinforcing to be a staff member or FSM.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

No kidding!

RIP.jpg

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
You got me thinking - why don't Scientologists go door to door like JWs, Mormons, Baptists, etc? There is a lot of policy on mail but to my recollection nothing on door to door solicitation. Initially I thought maybe it was because it might expose Scientologists to too much hostility and critical thinking but they do engage the raw public with things like body routing and personality test booths.
There used to be a degree of public outreach, through individual dissemination.

The way it was supposed to work (around the 1970's) was the Scientologist would tell all his friends about it, and try to get them to come in to the org. In the org the friends would be induced to try out the Comm Course, and so on.

In even earlier days, you had people introducing their friends and relatives to their auditor (who would generally be a field auditor). This had an element of workability, in that people will tend to try out something if someone who they know and love vouches for it.

Scientology had its period of greatest expansion when word of mouth was the system used (and before there was a lot of independent info on Scientology out there). People would have their initial contact with a field auditor, who might forward them to a mission, and thence to an org. Field auditors either were able to make people feel better, or they dropped out of the auditing game, in a Darwinian process.

Then LRH decided to get greedy, we had the Mission Holder's Conference, and everything became centralized.

Reactions: Gib

Gib

Crusader
There used to be a degree of public outreach, through individual dissemination.

The way it was supposed to work (around the 1970's) was the Scientologist would tell all his friends about it, and try to get them to come in to the org. In the org the friends would be induced to try out the Comm Course, and so on.

In even earlier days, you had people introducing their friends and relatives to their auditor (who would generally be a field auditor). This had an element of workability, in that people will tend to try out something if someone who they know and love vouches for it.

Scientology had its period of greatest expansion when word of mouth was the system used (and before there was a lot of independent info on Scientology out there). People would have their initial contact with a field auditor, who might forward them to a mission, and thence to an org. Field auditors either were able to make people feel better, or they dropped out of the auditing game, in a Darwinian process.

Then LRH decided to get greedy, we had the Mission Holder's Conference, and everything became centralized.
yep, Hubbard said word of mouth was the best.

It also means Hubbard's that he hisself controlled dianetics and scientology, didn't have to spend money on advertising.

The rhetoric of it all.