What's new

The Art of Deception: How Scientology Enslaves Your Mind

Vinaire

Sponsor
How about trying to be helpful?

If you are so highly capable, and enlightened then why not let us lessor able folks enjoy sharing ideas about the nature of our experiences.

Or do you have another agenda?

This person also sounds like an OSA provocateur.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I'm baffled: why would the AMA want to "join forces" with a science fiction writer who was plagiarizing Freud, who, at that time, was highly controversial, and today is often considered only for the theories he advanced that were disproven (he had others, but they weren't considered signal).

I didn't say they wanted to or would want to. They clearly didn't.

I assume that Hubbard thought they might want to because he had obtained some real results through Dianetics and thought that this might be helpful. I've witnessed the effects of both therapies and there's no way I'd discount Hubbard whatsoever.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I didn't say they wanted to or would want to. They clearly didn't.

I assume that Hubbard thought they might want to because he had obtained some real results through Dianetics and thought that this might be helpful. I've witnessed the effects of both therapies and there's no way I'd discount Hubbard whatsoever.

Hypnotism gets the same results. I don't think Hubbard expected the AMA to be impressed with his work, he just needed an external foe to base a group around.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Art of Deception by Arnie Lerma; Part Three

Misdirection of Attention - Another Magic Show Technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSQJP40PcGI&eurl=http://www.lermanet.com/exit/FINAL.htm

Any questioning or inquiry by those being introduced to the Scientology mind control program is dealt with by careful and deliberate misdirection of attention onto many, many, little details; rundowns, actions, clay table training, and Training Routines, word clearing, etc. ad nauseam.

Scientology uses this identical pattern of misdirection of attention technique on judges as well as government officials, media and critics on the Internet. They baffle people with details that are meaningless, seeking to fixate on inconsequential details - all with one express intent and purpose, to ensure you miss the big picture.

"Ye shall know them by their acts"

It's just that these 'acts' are appropriate fare only in a carnival magic show.

"Reality" in Scientology is defined as "AGREEMENT". To maintain the apparency of this agreement critics must be silenced, especially anyone who points out how the trick is done. We are dealing with nothing more than a magic show...of global proportions.

One hell of a trick.

Gradients of Deception

So how does one, on a gentle gradient, slide a person from one 'reality' into a manufactured, and in the case of Scientology, a science fiction style, 'reality'?

By telling him many self evident truths.

With which he agrees, and nods his head.

Salesmanship books teach this technique but instructing the wanna-be high producer salesman to get the target's head nodding in assent.

A person will not believe a lie, if it is stated alone.

You must CLOAK the lie you are trying sell in truth.

So I tell you a self evident truth. You think, "Yes." I tell you another one and you think, "Yes," nodding your head at same time. I tell you another self evident truth. You think, "Yes."

I read you a bit of Aristotle. You think , "Yes," [ but I don't tell you this is Aristotle ].

I read you some Plato and you think, "Yes," [ but I don't tell you this is Plato ].

I read you some Freud. You think, "Yes," [ but I don't tell you this is Freud ].

By now you feel that I am very clever indeed!

This product has been SCIENTIFICALLY tested! You think, "Yes", because of the implication of the "also a lie" that "Hubbard was a Nuclear Physicist.

Then I read you my science fiction. You think, "Yes", [ but I don't tell you this is my old Science Fiction! ].

The world needs my collection of truths. You think, "Yes, if the prior is true, then this is OBVIOUSLY true too!"

I have these secret levels wherein I explain the secrets of the universe. You think, "Yes, if the prior is true, then this is OBVIOUSLY true too and a good idea. I wouldn't want to 'ruin 'my ability to receive this vast knowledge by doing something out of order".

I have the only bridge out. You think, "Yes, if the prior is true, then this is OBVIOUSLY true too!"

But you have to give me your money and your life. You think, "Yes, if the prior is true, then this is OBVIOUSLY true too!"

You are now in the jaws of the trap!

Oh and one more thing, you must not speak out about the things you find that are not right, or if you disagree at some point in the future, OK?

How much of my product do you want?

Congratulations, You have just been sold!

"What an astute, lucky man I am," you think, "Yes, indeed I am, I have found what I have been looking for all my life!"

You are now a Scientologist!

The Black Art of the Confidence Game

The Art of the "Con man" is the building confidence to gain the credibility needed to then get the money.

Now some might say, "Well this is just basic marketing" and indeed they are correct. Marketing is the art of creating "perceived value" but with one caveat - there is the assumption that the commodity in question in fact has some inherent intrinsic value to begin with.

In Scientology, the entirety of the effort is to create a sense of perceived value, starting with a perceived sense of Hubbard's genius and ability.Scientologists use a big chart, you will find it on the wall in any indoctrination center, called "The Gradation Chart." This document states, for example, that the 'ability gained' of attaining all of the courses available in Scientology up to "OT Level 8" will give you "Ability to be at cause, knowingly and at will over Thought, Life, Form, Matter, Energy, Space and Time subjective and objective."(Note 10)

Well, now, doesn't that sound like fun? Sure sounds like an effort to create perceived value here. But then if just one person ever atatined this, I would likely not be here to tell you these ugly truths.

The only intrinsic value of Scientology is the vast amount of money that an artfully engineered con game can extract from its targets. Much of this, to the tune of $26 million a year (Note 8) is fed to lawyers to ensure that the public at large will not find these things out until after they have exhausted all their money, ruined their lives, and now, penniless, try to fight a well financed legal machine!

What a brilliant scheme! By the time they find out what it is all about, if they are still capable of rational thought processes, they will likely be unable to defend themselves, so the lawyers can have a skeet shoot!

let's try this again...

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hypnotism gets the same results. I don't think Hubbard expected the AMA to be impressed with his work, he just needed an external foe to base a group around.

I can get good results firming up my leg muscles by yoga, running or bodybuilding or calisthenics or pilates or karate. That doesn't mean that only one of those things is of value.

And, no, hypnosis does not get the same results, exactly in every case. But even if it did- and I've nothing against it at all- see comment above.

cinamingrl

Patron Meritorious
~~~

Is that the video where a person dressed in a gorilla suit walks into the middle of those people throwing the ball around and you don't even notice the gorilla because you are paying attention to how many times the ball is passed back and forth?

I saw that back in September, an associate who I work with on my volunteer job showed that to me.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Is that the video where a person dressed in a gorilla suit walks into the middle of those people throwing the ball around and you don't even notice the gorilla because you are paying attention to how many times the ball is passed back and forth?

I saw that back in September, an associate who I work with on my volunteer job showed that to me.

Yeah that's the one. here's another one: colour changing card trick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAntzB7EwE

anonmom

Patron with Honors
In light of the art of deception, here's how I think outside of the box. I know that the human mind is very capable of being manipulated, deceived and even eventually enslaved. I don't kid myself into thinking that I am beyond this happening to me. But since this such a gradual thing, I look for the early stages. Whenever someone is trying to inappropriately control someone it's definately a yellow flag. Advertisements do this all the time. They tell you you need to rush out and buy something that you never knew you needed. I actually like learning how advertising works. I think it is a fasinating study. It has very little to do with trying to improve our lives and everything to do with taking our money. (Hmmmm, sounds like a certain cult I know) Americans have so much crap that many of us live far beyond our means. To me, that is the art of deception at work. That's why we are called consumers. Sounds pretty enslaving to me. As a result, I don't watch very much TV. I feel very peaceful and free when I unplug from all that stuff.

Now advertisements are very slick state-of-the-art deceptions. Scientology is very very obvious in comparison. Especially when you know how they work. It's all about money, of course.

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
In light of the art of deception, here's how I think outside of the box. I know that the human mind is very capable of being manipulated, deceived and even eventually enslaved. I don't kid myself into thinking that I am beyond this happening to me. But since this such a gradual thing, I look for the early stages. Whenever someone is trying to inappropriately control someone it's definately a yellow flag. Advertisements do this all the time. They tell you you need to rush out and buy something that you never knew you needed. I actually like learning how advertising works. I think it is a fasinating study. It has very little to do with trying to improve our lives and everything to do with taking our money. (Hmmmm, sounds like a certain cult I know) Americans have so much crap that many of us live far beyond our means. To me, that is the art of deception at work. That's why we are called consumers. Sounds pretty enslaving to me. As a result, I don't watch very much TV. I feel very peaceful and free when I unplug from all that stuff.

Now advertisements are very slick state-of-the-art deceptions. Scientology is very very obvious in comparison. Especially when you know how they work. It's all about money, of course.

Anonmom, you draw some very interesting comparisons between Scn and glut consumerism. I still believe there is a far more evil purpose behind
Scn though.

anonmom

Patron with Honors
Anonmom, you draw some very interesting comparisons between Scn and glut consumerism. I still believe there is a far more evil purpose behind
Scn though.

Hahaha! :spitcoffee: Tim, you got that right! I sure wasn't trying to downplay how insideous scientology is. In fact, after I was out for about 6 months my big realization was that scientology was an evil organization. When people would say that there really was no such thing as evil, I had to suppress an urge to grab them and say, "Yes, evil is real and I used to work for them!"

I think Knight Vision is spot on with understanding the cycle of how scientology sucks people in and enslaves them. And he describes it clearer than I could.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
They claim that purported way out of this 'trap' which is life on earth as we know it, across the Bridge to Total Freedom [TM], is Dianetics and Scientology. However, if anyone did in fact get across this bridge, I assure you that you would not be reading this right now.

Scientology's Bridge to Total Freedom is no more real than a theatrical production, or just a painting on the wall, of what Spiritual Freedom might be like, and for enough money, they will gladly paint you into the picture.

Instead of ability, you are given a picture of people who look able. Instead of a Bridge, you get a picture of a bridge. Instead of a "bank" or "reactive mind," you are merely tricked into painting in this part yourself. Almost like a paint-by-numbers picture. This is what creates the Scientology trap. In Scientology words, you continue to create the "reactive mind" in order to then audit it. Of course all this is at great investment of your time and money.

I just discovered this thread. I bolded the part of the quote that I wanted to respond to. The mind fuck for me wasn't that it was impossible to achieve Total Freedom, or that it was just a lie, or a "theatrical production." It was that I actually achieved a state of Total Freedom AND COS REFUSED TO LET ME ATTEST OR EVEN LET ME TAKE THE WIN, NOT EVER NOT EVEN FOR ONE DAY, AND AFTER TORTURING ME FOR 5 YEARS FINALLY ATTACKED ME AS AN ENEMY. That's what completely and utterly shattered me. I couldn't understand the betrayal. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't let me attest. Now I wonder maybe they simply had never seen anyone reach it before! Apparently I got there by my own ability and power, and my C/Ses all knew "standard tech" didn't really work and therefore didn't believe I really achieved Total Freedom. Or maybe they had orders to not let anyone attest so they could extract more money from them? But I was so shattered, these questions simply didn't come into my mind. Even after all that, I still thought Scn was the road out, and my huge problem was how could I go up the Bridge now? :duh: I didn't see the con or the deception. To this day I can't understand why I didn't see it, but I know I totally didn't. It makes me very hesitant to try to wake up my friends that are still in, because I know they won't see it any more than I did. You can't see it while you're still in, because you have created such a strong mental habit of never asking questions, never reaching, never looking. The good news is that having been conned by the biggest and best con of the entire universe, I will never ever be conned again, and THAT is Total Freedom!!

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I was a teenager there was a girl I really liked, and then she moved away to the Bahamas.. her dad was an architect, one night I dreamed about her and we exchanged streams of wordless consciousness... 4 days later a letter arrived, and she described a dream SHE had, and she said that we exchanged 'streams of wordless consciousness"...30 years later I read the supposed End Phenomena of the old OT6 (the version I got sued for posting in 95) it said that you had to cause another person to send you a letter...

Hubbard sold us what we already had!

All good things that happen were because we 'duplicated source'.

All bad things are because we fail to do this.

What RUBBISH.

Repetition builds neurological pathways, physical interconnections, for dealing with the data... these are actual physical changes in structure of your physical universe interface device called the brain..

"The scientology demo kit conditions the user to assign meaning to pieces of rubbish"

When reading Hubbard's writings, try substituting the word "Conditioning" or conditions whenever you see him use the word "drill", and ask yourself what your mind was conditioned to do automatically from each of those 'drills'

You may not like the answers, but they will help set you free, to set others free

:coolwink: .

"Secrets are the mortar, binding lies like bricks together, into prisons for the mind"

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow, that link reminded me of a nearly forgotten experience. For a day or two in the 80s this really weird unkempt delusional guy was wandering around AOLA. Obviously, this was before the era of security. He was free to come and go, and he would come into AO and walk around muttering. Nobody else gave him the tme of day, and I believe I was the only one in the org that talked to him. I asked him what was going on and he told me he had just escaped from some underground lab in New Mexico (Colorado?) where he was being kept by aliens. I got pictures of bodies suspended in liquid inside glass cages. He said there were numerous floors. I just thought of him as delusional at the time, but he was acting like somebody genuinely freaked out after an experience too terrifying to be believed. Several years later I found an article in some free newsletter in a health food store describing exactly what this guy had described. It totally freaked me out, because regardless of whether this guy had been completely deluded or not, he totally beieved he had escaped from this place, and here was another person describing the same place. :rubeyes:
When reading Hubbard's writings, try substituting the word "Conditioning" or conditions whenever you see him use the word "drill", and ask yourself what your mind was conditioned to do automatically from each of those 'drills'
Great idea.