What's new

The Bible and Prophesy of The End...

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
All I know are the four great religious truths:

1. The Muslims do not recognize the Jews as the Chosen People.
2. The Jews do not recognize Christ as the Messiah.
3. The Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian world.
4. The Baptists do not recognize each other at strip clubs and liquor stores.

And I think if this thead on the Bible ends up in the grudge match section then we're all going to hell.

The Anabaptist Jacques

:roflmao:

LongTimeGone

This is a pure emotional and unreasonable response.

Among the ranks of Christians are the monks who salvaged civilization in scriptoriums.

Among the ranks of Christians are those who built universities and hospitals.

Among the ranks of Christians are Galileo, Descartes, Abraham Lincoln, Mother Theresa, Copernicus, and Mendel (bless his little pea pickin' heart)

And who are you to talk? You're an American, a descendent of those who wiped out a race of indians and held Africans as slaves for 250 years.

And who also murdered villagers at My Lai.

My point is that the name or religion of Christianity is the wrong scale to judge what happened in the past.

It is not the religion, it is the religion in the context of the current culture that manifest itself.

The same goes with political philosophy or any other cultural concepts or institutions.

Context is everything. Names are not.

The Anabaptist Jacques

I wasn't being emotional at all - I was talking about fanatics - All religions and ideologies have them and they are nuts and deserve whatever scorn is dumped on them.

I am not an American, I'm Australian and a descendant of those who fought for aboriginal rights.

LTG

I wasn't being emotional at all - I was talking about fanatics - All religions and ideologies have them and they are nuts and deserve whatever scorn is dumped on them.

I am not an American, I'm Australian and a descendant of those who fought for aboriginal rights.

LTG

It seems to me that you were talking about Christians, as you said "Christians" and not "famatics." And when you called one group direct descendents then you are talking race or nationality or cultural or religion or whatever. I don't think fafnaticism is hereditary.

I don't think the ones that translated the Old Testament into Greek were necessarily fanatics either.

My point is that there are human qualities which can ruin any and all good things. And that religion is not to blame, but other aggregate cultural and institutional and social factors that create an atmosphere of fear, intolerance and hate.

And there but for the grace of God goes all of us.

The Anabaptist Jacques

LongTimeGone

It seems to me that you were talking about Christians, as you said "Christians" and not "famatics." And when you called one group direct descendents then you are talking race or nationality or cultural or religion or whatever. I don't think fafnaticism is hereditary.

I don't think the ones that translated the Old Testament into Greek were necessarily fanatics either.

My point is that there are human qualities which can ruin any and all good things. And that religion is not to blame, but other aggregate cultural and institutional and social factors that create an atmosphere of fear, intolerance and hate.

And there but for the grace of God goes all of us.

The Anabaptist Jacques

It seems I need to clarify my original post.

I have no qualms at being unfair to Christians. [This was just in response to an earlier post].

Among the ranks of this lot have been the most bigoted, destructive, unthinking madmen in history. [This is not to say every Christian is a bigoted, destructive, unthinking madman].

Today's fanatical Christians are direct descendents of the mob that destroyed the Great Library of Alexandria and murdered scholars. [Here I am talking about only the fanatical Christians - My reference to descended from the mad mob means "have come down from", or "have the same ideas as those", not related by blood].

The very same library that translated the Hebrew Old Testament into Greek. [These were not the fanatics I was referring to, these were the people who the Christian fanatics destroyed].

Yes I agree some people have human "qualities" that can ruin all good things. It is such a pity that most religions seem to be a magnet for them.

LTG

It seems I need to clarify my original post.

I have no qualms at being unfair to Christians. [This was just in response to an earlier post].

Among the ranks of this lot have been the most bigoted, destructive, unthinking madmen in history. [This is not to say every Christian is a bigoted, destructive, unthinking madman].

Today's fanatical Christians are direct descendents of the mob that destroyed the Great Library of Alexandria and murdered scholars. [Here I am talking about only the fanatical Christians - My reference to descended from the mad mob means "have come down from", not related by blood].

The very same library that translated the Hebrew Old Testament into Greek. [These were not the fanatics I was referring to, these were the people who the Christian fanatics destroyed].

Yes I agree some people have human "qualities" that can ruin all good things. It is such a pity that most religions seem to be a magnet for them.

LTG

Cool. I understand now. I was reading it in the wrong sense.

The Anabaptist Jacques

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Cool. I understand now. I was reading it in the wrong sense.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Good on ya both! :thumbsup:

As I have previously said, language is a slender reed to depend upon when attempting to communicate with precision. :coolwink::p

And how anyone not born in to it ever achieves real proficiency in the "English" language is a mystery to me! :melodramatic::duh: It must be baffling to others as it sometimes is even to me for whom it is my mother tongue! :eyeroll:
:whistling:

EP

EP

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
If someone posts a wall of text, please refrain from quoting it. Quoting a long boring tome of something most of us aren't interested in will just about guarantee your own post won't be read.

xguardian, please don't copy & paste long pieces of script seemingly for the hell of it. If there are bits you want to comment on then paste them & make your comments, otherwise it's just biblical spam.

Ah, biblical spam, the fountain from which all these posts spewed. I went on a rant a few ago bout this subject, and it is senseless. For me it is intensely personal, not truly the kind of thing to talk to anyone about. That is why I do not go to "church," as that is where people insecure in their belief go to have that belief "validated."*

*Gawd I HATE to use a scatological, um, scienoweenie, term.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
Note: If Smilla reads my posts, I still am waaay behind you. At one time we were even, I was even ahead of you!! Seems I will never git my next star.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I have no qualms at being unfair to Christians.

Among the ranks of this lot have been the most bigoted, destructive, unthinking madmen in history.

Today's fanatical Christians are direct descendents of the mob that destroyed the Great Library of Alexandria and murdered scholars.

The very same library that translated the Hebrew Old Testament into Greek.

Mind you I have no time for the so called "chosen ones" either.

LTG

I'm no Christian but I don't consider all Christians to be the same as all other Christians. Same with atheists, materialists, etc, etc.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
I'm no Christian but I don't consider all Christians to be the same as all other Christians. Same with atheists, materialists, etc, etc.

Shoot I may yet end up with another star. Yeah, VC, people are people. Could I be so bold as to say, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" There are even actual good things written in the bibble. Along with hogwash about Jehosephat begatting 45 chillin when at the age of 150. (Don't look it up, I just popped that out of my pea brain.) The point is no one is faultless, including Mohammed. (I better lock and load now, because for sure Achmed the Terrorist will come to git me.)

xguardian

Patron with Honors
Ah, biblical spam, the fountain from which all these posts spewed. I went on a rant a few ago bout this subject, and it is senseless. For me it is intensely personal, not truly the kind of thing to talk to anyone about. That is why I do not go to "church," as that is where people insecure in their belief go to have that belief "validated."*

*Gawd I HATE to use a scatological, um, scienoweenie, term.

Your all invited!

10th Annual City of Shady Cove SPAM® Festival-Right now, we are planning on July 10, 2011 starting at 10:10 If you would like to Volunteer for this event contact either Mary Gunderlock at: 541-951-6346 or Gary Endicott at 541-878-2870.

Pictures of the 10th Annual City of Shady Cove SPAM® Festival....
City of Shady Cove SPAM® Festival Press Release

Mark your calendar for the 10th Annual City of Shady Cove SPAM® Festival. Throughout the years, festivals have always been a great way of bringing people together…and also play an important part of building a community. The City of Shady Cove SPAM® Festival is sponsored by the Shady Cove Business Association in cooperation with the City of Shady Cove .

The history of SPAM® products dates back to 1937, and was a cultural icon in the 40’s. During World War II, sales of SPAM® products soared. In part because it requires no refrigeration, Spam® products were perfect for the military and became a standard K-ration for U.S. soldiers.

Today, you can visit the SPAM® Museum at 1937 SPAM Boulevard , Austin , Minnesota and also go the official Website at: www.spam.com. Shady Cove has been known for one-day of celebrating this tradition, along with many other cities across the USA .

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
I think some people don't know much about religious history if they think that Christianity has nothing to do with the Old Testament. That strikes me as very unfair to Christians.
Can I come onto your property and say it's mine? No. Christianity has a connection to Israel only if Israel says it does. And Israel overwhelmingly says it doesn't.

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
When someone posts pages and pages of off topic bat-shit garbage, please don't re-quote the whole damn thing when replying.