What's new

The 'Chaplain' at St Hill.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
In 2006 it was Len Regines doing the post. I can only offer a time frame thanks to one who had dealings with Morgan as Chaplin in 2009. So he has not been there on that post for more than five or six years. Morgan however has been in the SO at Saint Hill on sales posts, PR posts and technical posts since somewhere in the mid 1970s as far as I know. He has a fair old store of intimate knowledge of the few public scientologists that remain under his belt.

I think the correct spelling is ‘Len Regenass’. I had a brief contact with him in the early noughties.

I’m pretty sure Peter Morgan is still the Chaplain at St Hill – he has been out to see various ‘disaffected’ Scns (actually ex-Scns, but they don’t know that yet :coolwink: ) recently.

John’s time-frame sounds about right.

The Chaplain is the post in the org where public Scns are supposed to find a friendly face to talk to about any problems they are having. In practice, the Chaplain will just tell the unfortunate to do more services.

Axiom142

another

Patron
I remember Peter Morgan very well. Peter and Hazel Grafton WERE the Reg Office for much of the 70s and into the 80s. I left SH in 1986. I left the SO in 1996 (in LA).

In 2002 I visited SH one day on a visit to the UK from LA. I saw Peter, who (I heard) had been on the RPF for years, and graduated. He wasn't the same Peter at all. He looked kinda broken, compared to how he had been.

But he would know the field very, very well. And could get access to anything he needed to find out, especially if there was the prospect of fresh org income attached to it.

Paul

Sorry - this may have already been explained - What's the 'Reg Office' and what does that entail?

I'm trying to understand a sort of CV of people/certain posts at St Hill over the decades.

I'm trying to work out their involvement in peoples' lives (scientologists and their families' lives) over the decades. It's a sort of jigsaw puzzle I'm putting together that might be useful to have on public record. Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
A registrar in a Scientology organization is an income-producing position. The person is supposed to "enlighten" the prospect as to the benefits he can get from a particular service, as well as help the person to choose an appropriate service to do next to help him. Once the person is enlightened, the registrar will "help" him to find the money to pay for the service. Scientology registrars are very, very, very, VERY persuasive and skilled at doing this, by getting credit card limits raised, pushing through bank loans, taking out second mortgages, etc etc etc. They also help do the paperwork (get the person to sign a waiver and other legal forms) to sign people onto courses and auditing services, but the main point of the post is to make money.

"Registrar" is shortened to "reg" and also used as a verb, as in "I spent three hours with the reg yesterday" or "Poor Molly was regged for her inheritance and six months later was destitute."

The "Reg Office" is the main physical location where one or more reges work from.

There are lots of different reges. For a few years I was a "Letter Registrar" at Saint Hill, writing (dictating) over 1,000 letters a week to people around the world to come to Saint Hill for services.

Paul

another

Patron
Thanks. I think I understand. So the 'Reg' would know all about scientologists' personal financial situations and 'advise' them to spend money on scientology courses / donations to the organisation etc.

Would they would put across the idea that doing this was more important than any other aspect of scientologists' lives?

How would they do that?

Thanks for all your help.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
A true-believer Scientologist would "know" that he is an immortal spiritual being, who has lived for trillions of years already and would live for trillions more. Eternity.

This one tiny lifetime contains the only chance he has in those trillions of years to "go free," to "make it," to get all the goodies that every immortal being wants. And the only way to do this, he believes, is through services available only through the CofS.

In such a view, things like houses, cars, schooling, even family, are completely insignificant by comparison.

Paul

another

Patron
I think I see. Would it be accurate to say a 'Reg' pushes people to differing degrees dependent on their level of compliance? - deciding what course they can sell them, looking at the logistics of paying for courses and 'advising' people on how to maximise their funding of courses.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I think I see. Would it be accurate to say a 'Reg' pushes people to differing degrees dependent on their level of compliance? - deciding what course they can sell them, looking at the logistics of paying for courses and 'advising' people on how to maximise their funding of courses.

A 'reg' is just a sales person and they will do all of the above (and much more) to get the 'gross income' up each week before Thursday 2pm (the weekly cut off point).

They will always try to sell packages (more money) but will sell individual courses and levels too.

There is a separate area for book sales and the salesperson there is a called the (wait for it) ... bookstore officer.

Upon completion of any course every person is put on a 'routing form' which means you are forced to see the reges and the bookstore officer and many (around 10 from memory) other 'terminals' and each hassles you for more, more, more ... of whatever their post requires, before they will sign it and send you to the next person on the form, it can take a few hours to get out and is very stressful.

:yes:

another

Patron

A 'reg' is just a sales person and they will do all of the above (and much more) to get the 'gross income' up each week before Thursday 2pm (the weekly cut off point).

They will always try to sell packages (more money) but will sell individual courses and levels too.

There is a separate area for book sales and the salesperson there is a called the (wait for it) ... bookstore officer.

Upon completion of any course every person is put on a 'routing form' which means you are forced to see the reges and the bookstore officer and many (around 10 from memory) other 'terminals' and each hassles you for more, more, more ... of whatever their post requires, before they will sign it and send you to the next person on the form, it can take a few hours to get out and is very stressful.

:yes:

Wow. Sounds exhausting.