What's new

The Core of the Dianetics Con

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
At its core is the reworked idea of a conscious and subconcious mind.

Hubbard takes this idea and renames it analytical and reactive and presents
the idea that if the reactive were reduced to 0 what would be left would
be the analytical and a new state he called Clear.

It's bullshit but I told it to make this next point.

He also posits that the reactive mind is some sort genetic holdover
that is no longer needed and has lost its usefulness so that in ridding
yourself of it nothing is lost.

Here's the rub this so called useless mind is in actual fact what
is commonly known as gut instinct a very useful safeguard
against clever cons, and yes this could be said to be critical thinking skills
but its bit lower than that and is more a feeling than a thinking.

So whenever that nagging little hunch came up
that something was fishy or kinda weird, it was told to the PC or newbie
that was just your "Reactive Mind" so don't listen to that and go ahead
get that mortgage on your house:duh: its your reactive mind and not your
common sense or gut sense thats trying to stop you, no HE&R.

So effectively from the heart down you've been disarmed
and your wallet or purse is ripe for the picking. $$$$$$

Last edited:

Hubbard method.
Read book on whatever, which happens to be lying around.
Read fast, on uppers to save time.
Main goal = where is the money?
Throw the book down, take more uppers, type furiously.
At all times, stay in present time. That means do not fact check, or anything else, and when shit happens say or write more shit, staying in present time (not engaging mind properly).
Repeat.
Simultaneously hire detectives and thugs to protect the incoming money flow.

Elronius of Marcabia

Hubbard method.
Read book on whatever, which happens to be lying around.
Read fast, on uppers to save time.
Main goal = where is the money?
Throw the book down, take more uppers, type furiously.
At all times, stay in present time. That means do not fact check, or anything else, and when shit happens say or write more shit, staying in present time (not engaging mind properly).
Repeat.
Simultaneously hire detectives and thugs to protect the incoming money flow.

A very very very very uptone fellow then :omg::fly2::mindblow:
:idea::ship::lol:

Elronius of Marcabia

Your best bet, don't define anything per hubbard definition.

ok but don't you think it requires some context for understanding ?

"So effectively from the heart down you've been disarmed
and your wallet or purse is ripe for the picking. $$$$$$"

True of all cons but I was giving what I see as the Dianetics con George.

Gib

Crusader
Ats its core is the reworked idea of a conscious and subconcious mind.

very true, this was one of the hardest things for me to get over,

Hubbard stating my doubts about the tech, dianetics & scientology were because my reactive mind had a "doubt command" in my mind. Thus the solution by Hubbard was to continue and the way out is thru, or in other words keep going, and Hubbard then also says some people's aberrations do not go away till they are way up the bridge.

So hubbard hisself introduces doubt into the whole thing. LOL

Well, after finally observing peeps who have done the whole bridge and compared to me only having done a partial bridge,

I came to the conclusion that scientology is a hellvahoax. LOL

What a con. :laugh:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Dianetics is just Freudian Abreaction dressed up in Science Fiction clothes, with wild, absurd claims made about what it can enable a person to be capable of.

http://freudscases.wikispaces.com/Abreaction

"Commander Snake Thompson" was trained in Abreaction, and that's where "Ron" stole it from. The Navy used it to handle cases of "shell shock". It wasn't always successful, but I think the reason it was less successful in their hands was an inability to NOT interpret for their client, to NOT finish handling an incident (extinguishing symptoms and fight/flight reactions), etc.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
Dianetics is just Freudian Abreaction dressed up in Science Fiction clothes, with wild, absurd claims made about what it can enable a person to be capable of.

I might add it's filled with Rhetoric and Sublime Writing.

Rhetoric is used to persuade.

Sublime is to make a story sound grand.

Hubbard used both. LOL

Does one realize college courses teach Sublime Writing to write grand stories.

But, one is non-fiction and Hubbard sold as truth. LOL

http://www.criticalreading.com/fictionvnonfiction.htm

"Texts are commonly classified as fiction or nonfiction. The distinction addresses whether a text discusses the world of the imagination (fiction) or the real world (nonfiction)."

The distinction addresses whether a text discusses the world of the imagination (fiction) = dianetics/scientology

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
The earliest inspiration for what became 1950 Dianetics (somewhat different from 1960s and 1970s Dianetics) was, probably, Hubbard's preoccupation with words or verbal content during his self-hypnosis sessions.

According to Ron Jr. these self hypnosis sessions, dating back to the late 1930s, consisted of Hubbard recording commands to himself, on primitive sound recorders, to be played back to him when he was asleep, or in a state of drug-induced unconsciousness. Thus the conscious mind would be by-passed and his verbal commands to himself would be implanted in his subconscious mind.

These commands had to do with such things as overcoming writer's block, and becoming a social and sexual superman.

As established during Armstrong vs. Church of Scientology, in 1984, the (1946) 'Affirmations" began with "by hypnosis," and mentioned being done when in a state of "sleep."

Hubbard believed that only he could hypnotize himself, and aided by that self hypnosis would enhance his ability to hypnotize others. He described his system of psychology as being wonderful and has having the power to hypnotize (exert influence over) others, yet he also felt that this same psychology - at least the subjugating hypnotic part - would have no effect on him, since he was a "Master."

It would probably be worthwhile to dig out the original quotes regarding this.

It shows that at least part of his psychology was malevolent and sought to dominate others.

There is more to tracing the actual origins and inspirations that became Dianetics (and not all were bad in and of themselves, although all were exploited by Hubbard for his own self aggrandizement), but the above was one of the earliest elements.

Gib

Crusader
The earliest inspiration for what became 1950 Dianetics (somewhat different from 1960s and 1970s Dianetics) was, probably, Hubbard's preoccupation with words or verbal content during his self-hypnosis sessions.

According to Ron Jr. these self hypnosis sessions, dating back to the late 1930s, consisted of Hubbard recording commands to himself, on primitive sound recorders, to be played back to him when he was asleep, or in a state of drug-induced unconsciousness. Thus the conscious mind would be by-passed and his verbal commands to himself would be implanted in his subconscious mind.

These commands had to do with such things as overcoming writer's block, and becoming a social and sexual superman.

As established during Armstrong vs. Church of Scientology, in 1984, the (1946) 'Affirmations" began with "by hypnosis," and mentioned being done when in a state of "sleep."

Hubbard believed that only he could hypnotize himself, and aided by that self hypnosis would enhance his ability to hypnotize others. He described his system of psychology as being wonderful and has having the power to hypnotize (exert influence over) others, yet he also felt that this same psychology - at least the subjugating hypnotic part - would have no effect on him, since he was a "Master."

It shows that at least part of his psychology was malevolent and sought to dominate others.

There is more to tracing the actual origins and inspirations that became Dianetics (and not all were bad in and of themselves, although all were exploited by Hubbard for his own self aggrandizement), but the above was one of the earliest elements.

Hubbard said two things:

1. what you say to yourself sticks, also known as self postulate, self hypnosis, I guess. This is true.

2. and hubbard said the easiest thing for a person to do is to change their mind.

Hubbard or scientology is number two, the art of persuasion to keep people involved with scientology.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

I don't believe one can hypnotize oneself this way, at least not in the way Tubs indicates, but I did play tapes of my Russian lessons in my sleep when I was on a crash summer course to take a year's worth of Russian in 6 weeks. It worked, but I had some seriously strange-assed dreams.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
At its core is the reworked idea of a conscious and subconcious mind.

+10 insightful... which brings to mind this one liner...

The fine art of the demonization of reason.

=====

In the same manner that he demonized normal human emotions by making alterations to Volney Mathison's Tone Arm Scale, placing sociopathy (1.1) smack dab in between normal HUMAN emotions... LINK

And defining 2.0 as "Normal" for female bodies... LINK

=====

And demonizing psychiatry to make sure you never read the sources he stole from. Another example bring me to the final one:

=====

The "Arnie is a kook" slogan described by Tory as OSA's campaign line.....

arnie lerma

Last edited:

Elronius of Marcabia

+10 insightful... which brings to mind this one liner...

The fine art of the demonization of reason.

=====

In the same manner that he demonized normal human emotions by making alterations to Volney Mathison's Tone Arm Scale, placing sociopathy (1.1) smack dab in between normal HUMAN emotions... LINK

And defining 2.0 as "Normal" for female bodies... LINK

=====

And demonizing psychiatry to make sure you never read the sources he stole from. Another example bring me to the final one:

=====

The "Arnie is a kook" slogan described by Tory as OSA's campaign line.....

arnie lerma

Thanks Arnie :)

I could'nt help but laff at the lame ass campaign "Arnie is kook" "Arnie is no leader" :hysterical:

maybe I'm missing some context here, but this looks like it was put together by a 2nd grade kid
who spent 5 minutes on the internet one time:hysterical:

This was 7 or 8 years ago, are they still just as clueless about the internet as they appear to
be in that campaign ?

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Arnie :)

I could'nt help but laff at the lame ass campaign "Arnie is kook" "Arnie is no leader" :hysterical:

maybe I'm missing some context here, but this looks like it was put together by a 2nd grade kid
who spent 5 minutes on the internet one time:hysterical:

This was 7 or 8 years ago, are they still just as clueless about the internet as they appear to
be in that campaign ?

I feel that much of this weird pr stuff is generated for internal consumption by their own true believers.

At least this was the only thing I could come up with to make it make sense.

Elronius of Marcabia

I feel that much of this weird pr stuff is generated for internal consumption by their own true believers.

Sometimes I forget its Scientology and it won't ever make sense, gotta stop tryin to get
that square peg in the round hole:yes: and just use it for firewood on a chilly night:coolwink:

Elronius of Marcabia

"DIANETICS IS AN ADVENTURE. It is an exploration into Terra Incognita,
the human mind, that vast and hitherto unknown realm half an inch back of our foreheads."

He told you where you were going with one small word change the simple
truth of it is revealed.

that vast and hitherto unknown realm half an inch back of Hubbards forehead.

Anyone with a small amount of study can see what Hubbard was talking about
is the Third Eye Chakra that part of a human being concerened with the "conceptual"
and may or may not contain the "actual" and so we see no "actual" clears or OT's.

1/7th of the human experience, but of course Hubbard made thought or Theta the entire
realm of existence, yeah there are BT's and whatever else a person can dream up conceptually.

He also made a point to direct Scientologists away from Chakra's as a map of human consciousness
so of course I went straight there after I unplugged from his mindfucking cult ideas:coolwink:

p.s.
"Dianetics was and is a Misadventure not an Adventure"

Last edited:

Boojuum

This is excellent! Thanks.

A great thought experiment for me was to look back to around circa 1947 when LRH wrote his now famous affirmations, you should envision what LRH was really like at that time. By most accounts, especially his own, he was a failure, a broke sci-fi writer with a failed marriage and a failed military career. I think he was sincerely trying to improve himself. LRH didn't like himself and wanted to be a self that he liked and the affirmations are proof. He may have evolved into a con man and a heartless tyrant but the affirmations are examples of sincerity. "I have beautiful feet." ? WTF. BUT it's sincere and real if nutty and something that I can identify with which makes him a real person. From this person evolved the founder of something we were truly inspired by. But at the core is this insecure person who is convinced he's a failure and a fraud which explains a great deal of his later behavior.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Those who have read this before excuse me for the repetition for newcomers to this board

Shortly after the big articles LINK LINK in the Washington Post about my battle with $cn, I got a telephone call from an older man who asked me if I knew where Hubbard got his ideas for Dianetics? I said, no, do tell and this gentlemen said that he was in a Navy Hospital when Hubbard was there, and a visiting (And he said CLINICIAN) clinician in Psychiatry came by, and passed out pre publication copies of his paper that he was working on..And that Hubbard used that man's paper as the core of Dianetics...

Maybe 5 years go by since this telephone call, and Im talking to Ida Camburn, who tells me I simply MUSt read William Sargant's Battle for the Mind...which I do.

Dr William Sargant was head of Psychiatry in England during WWII, (described as a clinician) he was tasked with finding a better way than the old technique, which was Abreactive therapy... short for Abnormal Reaction Therapy, in which the patient was encouraged to make up a traumatic incident if he was unable to address the recent trauma (Shell shock). The problem with abreactive therapy was that it took too long to do and took too long to train people to do it well... Dr Sargant was dealing with shell shocked veterans of Rommel's Lighting wars in North Africa..

the Better way he came up with was "Shock Therapy"

I compared Sargants 1955 publication date book "Battle for the Mind" to Dianetics, and it is evident to anyone who read Dianetics that Hubbard borrowed HEAVILY from the head of clinical Psychiatry in UK... All the same topics are covered, including shock therapy, but key items are turned upside down... And Hubbard tells us prenatals etc are real, this tactic eventually brings us to space opera and previous lifetimes as being REAL, whereas in Abreactive Therapy you never tell the patient the stuff is real as it is okay to INVENT an incident which then allows removing some of the trauma from the real incident...

I then checked Sargant's whereabouts between 1944 and 1947 and it turns out Dr William Sargant did a tour, as a visiting Professor of a Eastern North Carolina University, (40 minutes from the naval bases at Norfolk and Hampton Roads) of US Navy Hospitals...

And when my mother was first doing volunteer work at FCDC, she was writing letters, and stuck behind the divider was a criminal notice from the State of Virginia that Hubbard was found guilty of check kiting in.. Hampton Roads Virginia dated around the same time..

Ex-members who have heeded my advices to read Battle for the Mind all agree that the first half of Dianetics MIRRORS the first half of William Sargants book... the first half would have been written and passed around as that manuscript from 'a clinician' described by that old man on the telephone..

I did ask this gentleman if he would come forward and stand by this story but he laughed and he said, Young man, I am too old to mess about with a bunch of nutballs like $cientology now... but I hope what I told you is helpful"

It did help.

Arnie Lerma

Battle for the Mind: A Physiology of Conversion and Brainwashing - How Evangelists, Psychiatrists, Politicians, and Medicine Men Can Change Your Beliefs and Behavior
(first Publication 1955)

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

Of course it is Arnie.

When I started reading the Marketing & PR series because I wanted my own business, I thought to read these Policy Letters so as to start my own business. When I read them, I then somehow realized Scientology was using the PR & Marketing Series Policy letters on scientology members. Lights went off in my head. You know, when you know the tactics being used, you can not fall victim to the tactics.