What's new

THE CRITICAL FACTOR

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm putting this in general discussion as it affects a lot of threads and topics and everyone of us every second of of every day.

This is about the critical factor from hypnosis. To understand Scientology , or human interaction you should know some things about it and actually for Scientology you should know A LOT.

• The Critical Factor

Hypnosis is a state of mind. The state of mind can be obtained instantaneously, for a state of mind is merely a mood. It is a state of mind in which the critical faculty of the human is bypassed and selective thinking established. The critical faculty of your mind is that part which passes judgment. It distinguishes between the concepts of hot and cold, sweet and sour, large and small, dark and light.

It we can bypass this critical faculty in such a way that you no longer distinguish between hot and cold, sweet and sour, we can substitute selective thinking for conventional judgment making.

Another way to describe the critical factor is the possession of awareness or mental life or having sensations or feelings. Ethics, morality, rights and wrong police the waking mind. It self-imposes rules, restriction and regulates actions and behavior.

Your Critical Factor, Manipulation and Hypnosis Your critical factor is the part of your conscious mind that allows or blocks information getting into your subconscious mind. It is the gatekeeper that allows information in that is reasonable and then becomes a part of how and what you believe, or if the information is not reasonable or logical it is rejected, perhaps to be visited again another day but more often not.

In hypnosis, the critical factor is largely bypassed and information is directly placed into your unconscious mind.

The critical factor can be redefined many ways as it sums up many , probably THOUSANDS , of mental functions that combine to form judgement , skepticism , logic ,independent thinking , discretion and many other things.

Most people have very little understanding of the critical factor and even less of hypnotism.

Scientology has a wealth of false info on hypnosis and in particular makes followers ignorant AND determined to not learn anything outside Scientology about hypnosis:This is intentional on LRH's part.

When he started Scientology he told auditors some info and recommended learning about hypnosis , BUT he changed his tune when he realized that most people would not lie and enslave others , even for the greater good.

Early tapes have key data that show he always knew his auditing , and later the methods in study tech are in fact hypnotic.

AND he always knew it .

A person can have the critical factor turned down , or off by many methods and stage hypnotism or magic shows show only a tiny fraction of it.

As I've said many times Arnie Lerma ( Lermanet.com ) and Jon Atack showed me many clues to start seeing how this works in Scientology and I recommend studying the work of both to EVERY Scientologist and ex-Scientologist.

A person with the critical factor turned off completely will accept ANYTHING that is not blatantly suicidal ( with very few exceptions ) from the " right " source or sources.

That is why LRH had to have the single source myth : when in doubt or confusion a person had to turn only to HIM , and have that as an unshakeable stable datum.

There is a phenomenon wherein if you bypass the critical factor very strongly for prolonged periods( like in Scientology auditing and study ) and install very strong emotional connections and tremendous supporting and self defending info into a person's subconscious they will act just as if it is their OWN deeply held convictions ; because in a way it IS , just WITHOUT long contemplation and gradually building resolve and choosing for oneself independently .

Then , afterward the critical factor is turned back on BUT often only to attack critics and contradictory info or evidence , driven by implanted compulsion and not reason !

I know some will say Scientology is not hypnotism . Okay , do me one favor read about hypnotism so you have an educated point of view BEFORE dismissing my claims.

If Scientology is not hypnotism , and you are not compelled to reject this , why couldn't you read about it ?

I'd rather bruise some hearts ( and egos )with the truth ,and be a real friend than break them with lies.

I think we've all had more than enough of those.

I am not going to be 100% right all the time , BUT I've put a significant effort into this and don't think I'm wrong this time .

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
I think you're right about the hypnosis factor, but what I can't get my head around is distinguishing how some can turn it on and off.

For instance, someone in the Sea Org could simply be under hypnosis on a fairy constant basis, so there is consistency.

But take someone for instance in the Legal Dept OSA, as an example. They need to converse with attorneys, various other governmental officials and have the semblance of normality. What about the public scientologist who works with other non scientologists where they have to masquerade as a human being?

In these situations, it seems to be that one recognises the behaviour, yet can pretend not to be affected.

mockingbird

I am saying that much of what is done in Scientology is done in a state of hypnosis or persuasion.

LRH was an expert hypnotist by the time he was a teen and used many hynotic techniques masterfully in almost all his writings and lectures.

He used hypnotic techniques extensively in study tech and auditing and ethics and admin .

He used confusion (or paradox or contradiction ) , repetition , mimicry ( in auditing and training ) , fixated attention ( or divided ).

He used stacking realities and embedded commands . He used loaded language and logical fallacies.

He also used a technique of persuasion that I don't know a name of but will explain anyway.

He would use an acceptable statement that has a corollary that you unknowingly accept , and then through repetition accept subconsciously over time.

[h=2]cor·ol·larynoun \ˈkȯr-ə-ˌler-ē, ˈkär-, -le-rē, British kə-ˈrä-lə-rē\[/h] : something that naturally follows or results from another thing

Example

On the day when we can fully trust each other, there will be peace on Earth.”―L. Ron HubbardSource/Notes: A New Slant on Life (1998)

Okay , well when is there peace on Earth ? oh , NEVER so it follows that we can NEVER trust each other.

From the old recruitment posters : build trust in yourself become a trained auditor.

Okay , why do you have to build it ? because he's implying , over and over that you should NOT TRUST YOUR OWN MIND !!

Making you easier to confuse and turn to HIM for answers !

The word Scientology, conceived by L. Ron Hubbard, comes from the Latin scio which means “knowing, in the fullest meaning of the word” and the Greek word logos which means “study of.” It means knowing how to know.

This has several lies in it , one of which people usually don't find.

In 1901, Allen Upward coined Scientology "as a disparaging term, to indicate a blind, unthinking acceptance of scientific doctrine" according to the Internet Sacred Text Archive as quoted in the preface to Forgotten Books' recent edition of Upward's book, The New Word: On the meaning of the word Idealist.

In 1934, philosopher A Nordenholz published a book that used the term to mean "science of science".

It has been speculated on by others that LRH stole the name Scientology and at least some rough general ideas from the earlier sources , possibly invalidating the claim of coining the term and it's definition .

But ,the big thing people don't get is the corollary if Scientology is knowing how to know then what are you doing BEFORE Scientology ?

It's not knowing , in other words the definition contains a hidden implication that you don't " really " know until you master Scientology, which you quickly learn you can NEVER do !

It both implies that your knowledge is wrong AND that there is a deeper more correct , more certain higher knowledge in Scientology !!

All without proof and you through repetition and thinking in the new language ACCEPT the new meaning , with NO PROOF !!

It becomes your new belief , not by choice but by persuasion .

mockingbird

Scientologists are often conditioned to follow post hypnotic commands and to go into deep trance while on course or receiving auditing.

Some go into trance whenever certain words or situations come up and are in a constant light semi-permanenet trance that thinking in the loaded language helps maintain and strengthen .

A post-hypnotic suggestion is a command you give to your subject which is intended to be triggered sometime after the trance, usually by a phrase you say or by some other signal. It can also given to your subject in such a way that it automatically triggers either at a specific time or in certain circumstances.

There are a few factors which determine how effective a post-hypnotic suggestion will be. Firstly, how deeply hypnotized the person is at the time the post-hypnotic suggestion is given will be very significant. Someone who is only lightly hypnotized may not take the suggestion on board at all, though even if they do its effect won't necessarily be very strong and any resistance they feel to the command might overwhelm the effect of the hypnosis so that the command ends up not doing anything at all.

Someone who is deeply hypnotized is more likely to respond to a post-hypnotic suggestion.

An important thing to note here is that not everyone is going to have the same resistance to certain ideas and commands as you might expect.

Many techniques are used together to combine their effectiveness to ensure that a Scientologist quickly succumbs to deep trance and high suggestibility both while on course and in auditing.

They may even be in the trance to a degree all the time for decades after indoctrination -after intense indoctrination that could take weeks or months to achieve this effect .

Research has shown post hypnotic suggestions to last decades after implantation in some cases .

Scientology is a kind of super-hypnosis that , while not perfect or absolute , has been called by some the best hidden and most effective mind control EVER.

It may have no peer or rival .

gbuck

oxymoron
Scientology is all about the word.
It seeme to me it could be called the study and application of the word.
The word is the medium of Scientology, and we become slaves to the word.
The word is not the real world, and living within the confines of words is living in the illusion of reality that the word creates.
We need to be aware of the implications of words and images and of our acceptance of them,
because the word becomes our thought, or so we accept it as such.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think you're right about the hypnosis factor, but what I can't get my head around is distinguishing how some can turn it on and off.

For instance, someone in the Sea Org could simply be under hypnosis on a fairy constant basis, so there is consistency.

But take someone for instance in the Legal Dept OSA, as an example. They need to converse with attorneys, various other governmental officials and have the semblance of normality. What about the public scientologist who works with other non scientologists where they have to masquerade as a human being?

In these situations, it seems to be that one recognises the behaviour, yet can pretend not to be affected.

There appears to be a gradient... from the scientology end phenomena of the grades, they call it 'release state' or 'Clear', of a "willingness to believe anything" to the scientology end phenomena of "OT," whose only real freedom in $cientology is the "Total Freedom to do anything to your enemies" then there is a step above $cientology "OT"... where one is knowingly engaging in criminal conduct and knowingly engaging in fraud because one has become an "OP" or an "Operating Psychopath".

Last edited:

Elronius of Marcabia

Scientology is all about the word.
It seeme to me it could be called the study and application of the word.
The word is the medium of Scientology, and we become slaves to the word.
The word is not the real world, and living within the confines of words is living in the illusion of reality that the word creates.
We need to be aware of the implications of words and images and of our acceptance of them,
because the word becomes our thought, or so we accept it as such.

in the beggining is the "Word" and the "Word is "BE" this is not Fatso's idea it comes from
The Veda's the fact that he perverted it and used it to manipulate people and con them
does'nt make it any less true.

Words are simply tools and if you give one man a tool he will sculpt a piece of beautiful art :heartflower:

give it to another and he will beat you over the head with it:violent: one is a dominator the other is a masterful artful human being:artist:
with eyes:coolwink: to see a heart :love8:to feel a voice to sing:sing: and the courage:omg: to use them all for..............oops gotta go vacuum be back later :vacuum:

mockingbird

Well Gbuck , there is certainly truth in the idea that words are the tools in Scientolgy.

LRH used words to fool and enslave with very specific techniques and methods. I have discovered that merely READING hypnotic and persuasive language can affect people covertly !

In Scientology you don't read you retrain yourself to " study " , "think " and experience life in a different way and these ideas are transmitted by words of course.

The words are fine by themsleves ,but LRH found the right combination to exploit mental weaknesses in a most unorthodox way - creating actions and beliefs covertly !

AND the actions and false beliefs they cause take you on the " gradient scale " to insanity and inhumanity !

cleared cannibal

I think my savior was the fact that I didn't think in scientology. I remember using the terms but thinking in normal language and translating in my mind to scientologyese, much like thinking in English and speaking in French. I'm not sure if it was lack of training or my open mind that caused this. If I was ever hypnotized it didn't stick with me as far as making me sympathetic to scientology. Looking back on it I think I only continued because of my spouse.

I still have the question of why it didn't work on me when it seems to on most people. My spouse and the org I believe think it is because I am an unenlightened SOB. The SOB part may be right but I don't think I am that unenlightened. I don't ever remember leaving a session wanting to do more.. I didn't get the euphoric effects, if any thing I felt worse after many sessions. I don't know why my needle was floating. I remember evaluating and going over cognitions afterward throwing out what seemed wrong keeping what seemed right and coming up with some new ones. I remember one of the last cognitions I had was that the whole auditing/CSing process was one big evaluation .I thought,who are they to tell me if I am done, only I know that. The scios would call this self auditing.

I could ramble on but I guess my critical factor was having an open mind and I don't believe I have the ability not to have one. The scios call this being critical. If I have lasting damage it will be of the PTSD variety, Even this seems to have value because I seem to have the mindset that I've already been through hell so anything I experience can't be as bad as what I've been through. At least if I tell myself this it makes me feel better.

I don't have the Scientology technical knowledge or the staff experience of many here but posts come from the heart.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology promises the utopian state of OT, which it has never, ever, delivered.

It has, on innumerable occasions, visited cruelty and death upon its adherents.

In reality, it is a dystopian entity.

Elronius of Marcabia

in the beggining is the "Word" and the "Word is "BE" this is not Fatso's idea it comes from
The Veda's the fact that he perverted it and used it to manipulate people and con them

Words are simply tools and if you give one man a tool he will sculpt a piece of beautiful art :heartflower:

give it to another and he will beat you over the head with it:violent: one is a dominator the other is a masterful artful human being:artist:
with eyes:coolwink: to see a heart :love8:to feel a voice to sing:sing: and the courage:omg: to use them all for..............oops gotta go vacuum be back later :vacuum:

Ok sang for my supper. did my household chores:yes:

anyway use em for whatever you like, you are the sculptor, painter you choose its for no one else to decide :)

end of story:)

gbuck

oxymoron
Well Gbuck , there is certainly truth in the idea that words are the tools in Scientolgy.

LRH used words to fool and enslave with very specific techniques and methods. I have discovered that merely READING hypnotic and persuasive language can affect people covertly !

In Scientology you don't read you retrain yourself to " study " , "think " and experience life in a different way and these ideas are transmitted by words of course.

The words are fine by themsleves ,but LRH found the right combination to exploit mental weaknesses in a most unorthodox way - creating actions and beliefs covertly !

AND the actions and false beliefs they cause take you on the " gradient scale " to insanity and inhumanity !
I know you're correct, been there, undone that.
But words can run deeper than apparent understanding., or the giving of a dictionary definition.
The word 'God' will produce differing physiological and thought reactions in a person depending on their background of belief, education,current desperation,hope, agendas etc. in other words it means something different to them than to another person. Ron controlled that by inducing conformity of definition and thereby conformity of reaction ( when it stuck!)
A dialogue between two rational people might start with an understanding of each other's definitions of meaning of particular words or ideas expressed by those words, as those words were brought into the talk, without that understanding those involved would not be talking about the same thing as each would assume what the other meant based on their own personal definition.
I'm talking about a good dictionary with etymological sources. It's what we have in common as a reference. Sometimes language is not adequate, but I would be wary of introducing new words as the abuse of that is clearly shown in purely Scientological words, and the danger posed by taking definitions on board that induce 'understanding', not of real phenomena but of a 'spell', which is my simplified understanding of a hypnotic trance induced belief.
Talking to a Scientologist or anyone with a set of beliefs whether religious or secular has an observable dialogue taking place, but internally there is another dialogue occurring in both parties that nullifies the apparent communication, so the end result is, no communication, but there is an interchange of words only, which in itself has no meaning whatsoever.
Isn't it ironic that 'word clearing' means the exact opposite of what you would believe it means?

gbuck

oxymoron

I have no disagreement at all with your artistic interpretation of the use of words, I love word play in living conversation, it's spice!
But the statement:
'In the beginning was the word, and the word is BE' has always bugged me.
And there's something similar in the bible I think, it's origins don't really matter, as if 'origin' implies truth!

It has that ring of profoundness about it that I've always been in awe of ( that is its purpose I think)
It seems to be saying "this is really deep stuff, and beyond your personal ability to understand or grasp so believe it to be so!" in fact it defies analysis, and in my case, I won't conveniently accept it as truth.

My exit from the Scientologist mindset has taught me one valuable lesson, believe nothing as 'truth'.
This is not a cynical, but a practical view. Words can trap and direct subsequent thought formation or pattern, and eventually produce a 'mindset' literally.
This is not only true for Scientology, but applies to the building up of any system or pattern of thinking.
Thought then consists of 'conclusions' which become the bedrock of the inevitable structure of belief in ".............", the blank can be filled in with virtually anything. God, myself, LRH, Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, self-improvement, Thetans. The point being that it is a structure of belief built with words, and if those words and subsequent beliefs are unexamined, then you are abdicating and handing over responsibility to another. ( not you personally !)

after that ramble, getting back to the sentence about 'the word, and the word is BE' has absolutely no meaning to me except for a wtf! reaction, a feeling that's best described as slightly woozy, and a question that pops into my mind which is "and?" followed by a need to move on, and right now that means.. time to hit the sack..

Elronius of Marcabia

I know you're correct, been there, undone that.
But words can run deeper than apparent understanding., or the giving of a dictionary definition.
The word 'God' will produce differing physiological and thought reactions in a person depending on their background of belief, education,current desperation,hope, agendas etc. in other words it means something different to them than to another person. Ron controlled that by inducing conformity of definition and thereby conformity of reaction ( when it stuck!)
A dialogue between two rational people might start with an understanding of each other's definitions of meaning of particular words or ideas expressed by those words, as those words were brought into the talk, without that understanding those involved would not be talking about the same thing as each would assume what the other meant based on their own personal definition.
I'm talking about a good dictionary with etymological sources. It's what we have in common as a reference. Sometimes language is not adequate, but I would be wary of introducing new words as the abuse of that is clearly shown in purely Scientological words, and the danger posed by taking definitions on board that induce 'understanding', not of real phenomena but of a 'spell', which is my simplified understanding of a hypnotic trance induced belief.
Talking to a Scientologist or anyone with a set of beliefs whether religious or secular has an observable dialogue taking place, but internally there is another dialogue occurring in both parties that nullifies the apparent communication, so the end result is, no communication, but there is an interchange of words only, which in itself has no meaning whatsoever.
Isn't it ironic that 'word clearing' means the exact opposite of what you would believe it means?

Clear is a wonderful word all by itself provided its not perverted then used for perverse things :yes:

Beneath words may be more hardwired are Archetypes, I have a deep respect for Joseph Campbell and his work into Mythos
its something I presently ponder from time to time but have no clear understanding of right now.:duh:

"The One" as in the Matrix One being mixed letters to spell Neo or New etc etc The Tarot is a full pantheon of Archetypesworth
giving a bit of study I think.

Maybe after chores :pixiedust:

gbuck

oxymoron
Clear is a wonderful word all by itself provided its not perverted then used for perverse things :yes:

Beneath words may be more hardwired are Archetypes, I have a deep respect for Joseph Campbell and his work into Mythos
its something I presently ponder from time to time but have no clear understanding of right now.:duh:

"The One" as in the Matrix One being mixed letters to spell Neo or New etc etc The Tarot is a full pantheon of Archetypesworth
giving a bit of study I think.

Maybe after chores :pixiedust:
Someone said that we are the history of mankind and that we carry that history with us!
We are the story and the book.
In other words if we are aware of our reactions we can read that book which is us.
Personally at my age, I'm not too interested in enormous research but being somewhat laid back though serious at the same time, I find this approach very convenient!
Jimmy Cliff.......I'm off to work......for a while.....
[video=youtube;BOkv_tGK1o4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BOkv_tGK1o4[/video]