What's new

The Current State of Co$ finances

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
It depends on how vulnerable to prosecution he is. These days it is hard to completely drop off the earth if you want to live large. The mansion and limo attract attention. It would be easier to live off 200,000 a year in California. If he leaves the US and starts moving around vast quantities of money, he would certainly get busted somehow. Someone will track him down. He knows he has a lot of enemies. He's not that stupid. Evil yes, stupid no.

I believe that he has already moved the money around. Some of the Anons have already traced IAS funds in the Virginia Mcwhatever (I can't spell her name) thread to Curacao. As far as laundering money, I think DM figured out how to rinse it in 13 buckets of clean filtered water to remove any trace of perceptable odor. Just like LRH's shirts.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
He might very well have friends in government. Money can buy "friends." The scenario that unfolds may go something like this:

1) Throw a KoolAide party. This gets rid of lots of troublesome loose ends.
2) One of your "friends" will find "your" body in amonst the rest. You get what you want, govt. gets what it wants ... a poster child for cracking down on the first ammendment
3) Your "friends" hook you up with a plastic surgeon. It's an improvement. Who wants to be 50 something and look like Howdy Doody anyways.
4) With your new identity plus all the megabucks you ripped off you can then pretty much retire in style with your own personal staff, different chicks, your own airplane, etc.

Pete

I reacall the Headleys (Claire, I think) saying she believed that a Kool Aid party at Int was a possibility. I honestly don't see it happening with the Public I know and probably not most of the staff or SO I've met. Granted, those people are far removed from management probably for good reason.

In the end, I don't see the need to knock off anyone besides those in SP Hall and the ultra super duper secretarial personal assistants to DM. There's always a risk of mutiny with the others - probably even at Int.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Too elaborate. Anyhow, most of the loose ends wouldn't drink the kool aide. He could hide in Bulgravia, just much of life there - even with the servants. I think he'll take up the Mike Rinder, used car sales game before he makes a run for it. Maybe he'll crash in Tom's Cruise's guest bed room. On the other hand, if it looks like he could spend more than 10 years in jail, he might well take your path.

He won't spend day 1 in jail. Furthermore, all the loose ends will drink the KoolAide if assisted in doing so, as in having it poured down their throats. There were plenty of those who were "volunteered" at Jonestown as well.

Pete

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
I reacall the Headleys (Claire, I think) saying she believed that a Kool Aid party at Int was a possibility. I honestly don't see it happening with the Public I know and probably not most of the staff or SO I've met. Granted, those people are far removed from management probably for good reason.

In the end, I don't see the need to knock off anyone besides those in SP Hall and the ultra super duper secretarial personal assistants to DM. There's always a risk of mutiny with the others - probably even at Int.

The KoolAide party would be at the int base and not at Flag or anywhere else. The only other possibility for a KoolAide party location would be the AsbestosWhiffWinds. The KoolAide drinking need not be voluntary, either, it just has to look that way. DM would be conveniently identified as amonst the partiers. The usual parade of idiots in the govt. would scream about "thereaughtabeeyalaw" as they proceeded to attack the first ammendment ... allegedly to prevent more Koolaide parties, but, of course, there would be some unadvertised, convenient little provisions that would allow these miscreants to shutup/stifle/lockup their political opponents. DM would have a new face and a new identity and a shitload of cash.

Pete

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious

I don't think Miscavage is stupid enough to trust any true believers with his dirty laundry. I'm sure people handling that are "wog" lawyers, bankers and etc.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
IMHO, M&M will n-e-v-e-r hold and exec position in the Cof$ again let alone be member in good standing, DM would n-e-v-e-r do the RPF and is sittin' on a H-U-G-E pile of dough that has been triple washed, double rinsed, spun dry and is forever severed from Scn. :yes:

Face

If I was a bettin' guy, I'd be putting money on this prediction, Face.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I don't think Miscavage is stupid enough to trust any true believers with his dirty laundry. I'm sure people handling that are "wog" lawyers, bankers and etc.

That may be true now, but it wasn't always true. In fact, some of his loosest ends are the ones who destroyed the Lisa McPherson evidence. Why they haven't sung like canaries yet, I don't know. Marty certainly dished the entheta on how the "war" with the IRS was ultimately won, but I'm sure he's only dished an apatizer so far.

I don't see how Slappy could tie up the M&M loose ends without an unfortunate public spectacle.

John P.

Patron
It depends on how vulnerable to prosecution he is. These days it is hard to completely drop off the earth if you want to live large. The mansion and limo attract attention. It would be easier to live off 200,000 a year in California. If he leaves the US and starts moving around vast quantities of money, he would certainly get busted somehow. Someone will track him down. He knows he has a lot of enemies. He's not that stupid. Evil yes, stupid no.

------

tl:dr summary: Miscavige's hidey hole undoubtedly exists today, as do substantial foreign bank accounts. Uncovering the location of his hidey hole before he gets to use it renders it worthless, a worthy goal indeed. That also renders any money he has stashed away essentially worthless, because an infinite amount of money wouldn't enable his personal safety at that point.

-----

The trick is to track Miscavige's safe haven down now, before he uses it. I am sure he has his escape plan already in place, and has even practiced his own "blow drill" more than once. The money is almost certainly in place already. Some people can be very difficult to dislodge once they have reached their hiding place; I am sure Miscavige's team of expert "wog lawyers" has figured out the perfect place for him.

To track him down now, recent escapees from Int Base might be worthy interview subjects, particularly the person who was in charge of all those real estate deals for the Ideal Orgs (Angie Blankenship, IIRC). There are at least a handful of people who know what Miscavige has set up for himself, and some of them have to have blown recently.

If the veil of secrecy for his hideout is lifted before Miscavige escapes, that place is useless and he then has to start all over to look for another one, a process that could take years, leaving him mightily exposed in the meantime. That will send him into a major rage, which adds some nice lulz to the mix as well.

Regarding the cash: We who work in Global Capitalism HQ are required to take training at least annually on money laundering -- not how to do it, but how to detect it. Our training gives us some understanding of bank secrecy rules and other issues. I thus know for a fact that bank secrecy is not what it used to be. But not all countries have laws that make it easy to tap bank accounts for legal judgments. So I suspect that Miscavige's retirement fund may be somewhat easy to track down and freeze but it might be hard to get a local court to surrender it to settle law suits.

But if the Feds get involved, such as in a criminal case, or in an attempt to collect lots of tax money from rich people, that is a very different matter. The US has been very willing to apply substantial muscle to get countries with no extradition treaty and with abundant financial secrecy laws to make an exception.

Note that the famously secret Swiss banking industry gave up the names of tens of thousands of account holders who were evading US taxes in the last year or two -- a first for them. Any smaller "offshore" banking haven won't last a minute against the financial might of the US government, especially after unplugging Iran from the SWIFT global financial network has seemed to work well, devastating their economy literally overnight.

So if the Feds want Miscavige after the cult has collapsed, they're ultimately going to get him, extradition treaty or no, bank secrecy or no. But they're going to have to want to get him and they're going to have to be willing to put in the effort to pierce through all the layers of corporate shells that he has erected in order to do it. So there's some political will involved. Because we can't count on their willingness to chase after Miscavige, the best way to ensure that he never gets a good night's sleep is to expose the hidey hole before he has to use it.

Any thoughts on who might know something would be welcome.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
snipped

tl:dr summary: Miscavige's hidey hole undoubtedly exists today, as do substantial foreign bank accounts. Uncovering the location of his hidey hole before he gets to use it renders it worthless, a worthy goal indeed. That also renders any money he has stashed away essentially worthless, because an infinite amount of money wouldn't enable his personal safety at that point.

-----

A Caribbean Island awaits ... as do his housekeeper and communicator (if we are to believe Debbie Cook and her husband went where she said they went, and I don't).

:coolwink:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
That may be true now, but it wasn't always true. In fact, some of his loosest ends are the ones who destroyed the Lisa McPherson evidence. Why they haven't sung like canaries yet, I don't know. Marty certainly dished the entheta on how the "war" with the IRS was ultimately won, but I'm sure he's only dished an apatizer so far.

I don't see how Slappy could tie up the M&M loose ends without an unfortunate public spectacle.

I doubt that M&M could go fully public without burning themselves as well. That is the hook.

Pete

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter

Yah, I don't think so, either.

I think he has an escape plan and I think he's an embezzler and that this would figure greatly in the escape plan.

This is pure rank speculation on my part but, given things that have happened and things old timers who used to know DM have told me, I think it's not too bad, as suppositions go.

I doubt that M&M could go fully public without burning themselves as well. That is the hook.

Pete

If I were to guess what would happen if M&M did fully disclose everything they knew,

they would be the ones being taken away in handcuffs and Miscavige would come out looking squeaky clean.

Miscavige may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to let others who are stupid enough, do anything that can actually land someone in jail, including moving money around illegally,

he watched Hubbard fine tune the process, after all.

He probably had them deal with anything which had a paper trail.

They along with others delivered cash directly to his personal attorney who set up an offshore account which can not be traced back to him.

It wouldn't be too hard to do either, considering how many bank accounts full of cash were emptied of people who have since died and can no longer be interviewed as to how much money they actually gave the cult.

Knowing just how rotten this organization is right to it's core, it would be implausible to think that he didn't scam as much cash as possible.

What would be the point of being involved in the management of Scientology otherwise?

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
If I were to guess what would happen if M&M did fully disclose everything they knew,

they would be the ones being taken away in handcuffs and Miscavige would come out looking squeaky clean.

That's an interesting point. I had never thought that he could come out squeaky clean, but if all that connects the dots to DM is M&M's say so......